Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Working with teak

5/24/18       
Michael Member

I'm presently working up a quote building a teak bookcase with glass panel doors. I've never worked teak before and I would like to find out from the group the difficulties cutting, planing and shaping teak. I have a 10 foot sliding table saw with 12 inch carbide Forrest saw blades. 15 inch planer with carbide knives and carbide shaper cutters. So my question is am I my prepared to work teak or am I in for a load of trouble. By the way I'll be buying 4/4 teak in the rough. Thank you!

5/24/18       #2: Working with teak ...
Rick G. Member

You'll be fine, hope you got/get it for a good price. Its heavy and adds up quick, a bit oily and tough on blades. Best to you!

5/24/18       #3: Working with teak ...
Mark Member

Even though your tooling is carbide, after working the teak it won't cut as well with the hardwoods after that.

You should factor in resharpening and new inserts into your cost of doing the job.

Mark

5/24/18       #4: Working with teak ...
rich c.

Used to be that gluing up teak was problematic due to the oil content. No idea if you are using plantation teak, or if that is all you can buy now.

5/25/18       #5: Working with teak ...
Michael Member

Rich C, brings up a good point about gluing due to its oil content. Is there a certain type of glue I should be using? I.m presently using Tilebond original/red label.

And thank you for the information about including in re-sharpening and others. I'm paying $25 BF and not sure if it's plantation but I'll ask.
Thank you!

5/25/18       #6: Working with teak ...
Ryan

Shop around on that price. We just made a bench out of teak and got prices from $11BF to $25BF.

5/25/18       #7: Working with teak ...
rich c.

Per Titebond;
Can Titebond Wood Glues be used for projects using teak, cedar or redwood?
Because a surface layer of oil or tannic acid tends to build up on these species, they can present a problem. For either type of wood, planing, jointing, or sanding shortly before bonding will remove the contaminating layer and allow successful bonding. Otherwise, the surface being bonded will need to be wiped with acetone to remove the layer. Acetone dries quickly and allows bonding almost immediately after the surfaces have been wiped.

5/25/18       #8: Working with teak ...
Michael Member

Wow that's a great price Ryan, I'll definitely be shopping around. Thank you Rich for the gluing up tips, I'll definitely keep those in mind. Thank you greatly appreciated!

5/25/18       #9: Working with teak ...
Matt Calnen

I’ve done many custom projects like this in teak. If the customer is willing to pay for it, give them the best you can. I only epoxy teak as I know it will bond with no troubles. The best job I ever did with the wood was custom 2 1/4” screen doors for a wealthy client. They still look good today as they did 12 years ago.

5/25/18       #10: Working with teak ...
Adam

We only glue teak or any troublesome woods with epoxy.

People often talk about glueing teak as some big problem. Its not. Use a comparable epoxy to West System. Sand surfaces with 60 grit(wide belt) or 80 grit(hand/sander). Wipe with acetone before layup. There is no huge rush after wiping. It often takes 30 or more minutes before a large layup is completed. I wouldn't be concerned about more oil contamination for hours after an acetone wipedown.

Never thin epoxy unless the ply or wood dry rotted or severely delaminated. It lowers all of the epoxy physical properties. Thinning does not increase adhesion or moisture resistance. This is the recommendation of West, not my opinion.

Two major problems people have with epoxy layup are not sanding and too much clamping pressure. It is not PVA.

We have done miles of teak interior/exterior/marine bonding for several decades. All done with West or similar epoxy systems. To the best of my knowledge we have had zero failures. Where as there have been many pva failures over the years.

Definitely shop around when buying teak. There are two types. Natural and plantation. Huge price difference. They look different to an educated eye. The plantation grown have much straighter growth lines.

The reason teak is probably the toughest on tools is not the hardness. The wood is actually quite soft. The problem is it grows in fine sand. It grows into the wood. You can see super fine white dust in the grain.

When doing teak jobs we include sharpening costs for a blade, jointer knives, planer knives, shaper cutters and replacement of router bits.

High speed steel jointer/planer knives get dull extremely fast when working teak.

The material is expensive enough that I include a risk factor cost. The material cost can be the same as labor cost. You do not want to cover the cost of teak out of your own pocket if there is a mistake.

Obviously the combined cost of the wood, epoxy, sharpening, and risk factor make teak an expensive choice. We make our customers aware of this. Its for nice boats and mansions so they can suck it up.

West System Epoxy Basics

5/25/18       #11: Working with teak ...
Adam

Many pva failures over the years glueing typical woods. We have never considered it for teak.

5/26/18       #12: Working with teak ...
Michael Member

Thank you Matthew and Adam for such informative information. I'm impressed with this group!!! All of your information from all within this thread will be incorporated in this project and I'm quite confident it will be a very old and beautiful antique in the distance future.

5/26/18       #13: Working with teak ...
David R Sochar  Member

When I built teak louvered boat doors, we only glued with resorcinol. Left a purple glue, but bonded extremely well.

I had a glue tech explain that if you use water base glues on Cedar, teak, and other oily woods, they must have the surface oil removed in the glued areas. However, if you use solvent type glues, they cut thru the oil in woods for a best bond.

5/26/18       #14: Working with teak ...
Guy Knight

use TBIII for teak and other oily woods never had a failure with it and fine woodworking did test and found it worked best even over epoxies

5/26/18       #15: Working with teak ...
Adam

How does it work best over epoxies?

They either work or don't.

5/27/18       #16: Working with teak ...
Guy Knight

having glued tons of ipe with TTIII never had a failure even when doing curved treads have seen epoxies and gorilla glue fail doing the same thing

5/29/18       #17: Working with teak ...
Michael Member

95% of my shaper cutters are T alloy. I wonder if that's a problem shaping teak?

5/29/18       #18: Working with teak ...
Adam

I would call Freeborn and ask about the T-alloy. My experience has been only hss steel and carbide. Teaks eats hhs.

I would say its based on linear feet.

I reread your original post. When I think of teak I immediately go to exterior & epoxy.

You cabinet could probably be done with the acetone wipe and TB1. David and I are more or less done with TB3. It will not give you better adhesion and it has a lot of negatives.

6/8/18       #19: Working with teak ...
Michael Member

Is there any special sanding process with teak and if so what would it be? And what grit sandpaper would I finished up with?

Thank you!

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello