Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Home made door clamp

9/21/18       
Scott

I was thinking about making a home made door clamp similar to a Ritter. I don’t have a lot of extra space so want to build a smaller version that can be stowed away when not in use.
I was wondering if anyone knows about what kind of clamps to use.
Has anyone else built something similar?
Thanks for any advice.

9/21/18       #2: Home made door clamp ...
doug mclaren  Member

i use homemade clamps on every thing . make them as needed.
cabinet doors i use 1x2 flat to door . easy to stack a batch of doors and light weight.
entry doors i make as needed usually 2x2 or 2x4. blocks glued and screwed. make wedges a bucket full at a time.
wax them on surfaces that touch wood before use.

View higher quality, full size image (2048 X 1152)

View higher quality, full size image (2048 X 1152)

9/21/18       #3: Home made door clamp ...
MarkB Member

How big a clamp? and how big on the doors? How thick?

If your talking a cabinet door clamp only (given this forum) there are several reasonable options for low production especially if you have a CNC shop near by that can perforate a sheet for you to hang on the wall (no need to stow away).

A 5x10 sheet at a slight cant back against the wall with a left and right right angle would allow you to glue up multiple doors at a time working from left side to right side and not take any floor space. You could move other machines in-front when not in use.

We have run with a faceframe/door table like that for a long while. Its no wheres near the production of a production rack but if you talking low volume its fine.

9/23/18       #4: Home made door clamp ...
doug mclaren  Member

I have always found a flat panel with a true fence corner and movable screw down fences with wedges works but,
Difficult to clean other side, heavy , takes a lot if room, hard to stack multiples.
I dont ever pin joints.
Glue only , wait for cure. IMO millwork shouldnt include metal.

9/24/18       #5: Home made door clamp ...
David R Sochar  Member

Doug - Interesting you should mention that millwork should not include metal. I heard this from my mentors back in the 70's, but they did not have a good reason except that "that is the way it has always been done!"

I also avoid any metal fasteners in all our work, with the notable exception of holding glass stops in place. In our large doors, there is no metal.

We do use nails in some rougher work, but they are never exposed.

When doing furniture, no nail is also a rule. I have enjoyed showing how we have no nail holes or even filler in our work and the competition has pins in highly visible places.

9/24/18       #6: Home made door clamp ...
doug mclaren  Member

having been lucky enough to stay out of the field except to install my entry doors ,
i have been unlucky enough to stay in the shop and have to change sizes of doors made to wrong size. with pins in morts and tens, holding panels in. i get the 23 g pins in bolections but dont get it every where else.
living in south fl and having doors shipped from ca 25 percent arrived with 1/4 inch gaps in 1 side of panel.
standard because of delivery schedules,
cut apart pull pins new parts , panels, assembly. hate those pins.
i was taught put everything together like you were the one who was going to have to take it apart if there was a problem.

9/24/18       #7: Home made door clamp ...
RyanB Member

Built my own clamp last winter. Its similar to a ritter but has a few other options that I liked put into it. Eventually I may do the faceframe bar on it but after playing with the idea I still think I can save money by doing them flat on the table like I have for years. Cost me about 2500cdn to build including everything. Takes just 10.5' in length and sticks out from the wall 28". I have no built shelving and drawers on the bottom for storage as well as a racking on the back side for jig figures I don't use very often! Its on casters so it rolls around the shop easily if I need it too. The first run of doors was 278pcs and previously it would have taken me at least 6 days to glue up...I did all these in 2 days! so it pretty well paid for its self in the first job!!!

View higher quality, full size image (1280 X 720)

9/24/18       #8: Home made door clamp ...
RyanB Member

I should also say I do pin all my doors/drawer fronts with 5/8" 18g brads. My gable ends are just glue as I sand them down to just shy of 3/4" where as the doors only go to just a touch of 13/16". In 17+ years building my own doors I have yet to have one single failure in a glue joint and on the rustic stuff I do mostly now no one ever notices the 4 nail holes on the back side. When I do a run of cherry or painted maple its just a quick filler touch up and away I go before sanding! Each to there own but why not add a touch more holding 15-20 times! With my clamp I can do easily 20 doors an hour and if I am running both sides its quicker yet! Where as if I had to glue two doors and wait 1/2hr minimum that is a lot of time sitting around watching glue to dry

9/25/18       #9: Home made door clamp ...
Scott

Ryan,
That is an awesome clamp, great job!
You wouldn’t have a list of materials that you used would you?
Just wondering what the board is made of and what kind of clamps you recommend using?
Thanks

9/25/18       #10: Home made door clamp ...
RyanB

its all steel construction. Table its self is 1/4" with over 1500 3/4" holes! unfortunately I have way to many hours in research and design to just give my cad files away...Sorry!

Ryan

9/26/18       #11: Home made door clamp ...
Scott

Ryan,
No problem, it is not rocket science, so not that hard to figure out. I will do the research on the pneumatic clamps and I certainly wouldn’t make the table out of steel with all the new sheet plastics on the market.

9/26/18       #12: Home made door clamp ...
RyanB Member

even with the 1/4" steel + 1/8" uhmw (for easy glue clean up) the table still flexes in between the bridging areas when the clamps are under pressure...I honestly don't know how one would go about using a composite material that's thin enough, yet strong enough to make the cylinder locking mechanism work so they stay flat and parallel to the table when under pressure....Without the lock they want to lift up and out of the table.

9/26/18       #13: Home made door clamp ...
Scott Markwood

Take a look as some of the clever homemade clamps that the Youtuber Izzy Swan has shared. Go to his channel and click on the video tab and search "clamp". His clamping table is worth a look.

View larger image

Izzy Swan's Youtube Channel

9/26/18       #14: Home made door clamp ...
door shop guy

I was going to say Izzy on youtube but its a face frame clamp not a door clamp but still good ideas.

For probably under $4k you can get a JLT and its worth every penny imo. Think mine was just over $3K but that was like 8 years ago.

9/27/18       #15: Home made door clamp ...
Adam

There are many ways to do things.

I was taught in a shop that did tons of restoration work as well as very high end architectural millwork. My boss did somethings that were totally old school. I thought they were a waste of time.

He also did more modern things that were smart. He was glueing plywood and mdf into the paint grade cabinet doors in the 80's. They are better doors in my opinion. In retrospect it was a mixture of all kinds of construction depending on the job.

Even in the mansions there is always a line. Spend the big money on the features and save a bit of money here and there.

We would build historically accurate windows and doors. When I started we would face dowel all of our interior/exterior doors. I thought they looked terrible. Two years later we were glueing them together with epoxy on non historic jobs. Which are better doors?

We would go from making face frames with true mortise and tenons for a kitchen. On another project for the same house we would be face nailing frames on a paint grade closet.

5 years later I was working for myself in the same houses using pocket screws for beaded face frames, pocket screwing the frames to the boxes. Dado/rabbeted UV plywood glued and fastened together with 18 gauge staples. My friends thought I was crazy. 1 year later they were all doing similar things.

They are better cabinets. All of the metal fasteners are hidden. Zero filler. The finishes are more durable. Nothing cracks.

Door jambs are another thing. Back in the day they rabbeted them and hand nailed. Now most people glue and screw butt joints. I dare say our modern method is stronger and will last longer.

The nails in cabinet doors serve two purposes. Small shops like mine do not have enough clamps or a door clamp to glue up a big pile of doors. The 23 gauge pins guarantee that the joints stay tight after they have dried for 30 minutes.

Big door companies need to 18 gauge brad them because they don't use enough glue to insure the door doesn't fail. They don't want to spend the money to cleanup the excess glue.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello