Solid Wood Machining

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

broken bandsaw blades

12/4/18       
Tony Member

My band saw blades invariably develop a stress fracture well before getting dull. It's no fun when the blade breaks (sounds like a gun shot) so I take them of when the tell-tale thumping becomes pronounced, as the fracture passes through the guides. I just assume the blade is no longer viable, but could the partial break be welded back (I typically use a 3/4" hook tooth 3tpi. 145" long on a Laguna HD16.) And what specific type of welding is needed, as I would need to find a welder to do it.
Tony

12/4/18       #2: broken bandsaw blades ...
David R Sochar  Member

Band saw welders were once so common that they came attached to the better bandsaws, so you could make up blades right there at the saw. People weld the saws and you are people, so you should be able to learn it. You can buy band saw coil stock in 100' lengths of whatever type tooth pattern you like.

12/4/18       #3: broken bandsaw blades ...
Tony Member

Yeah, I could learn orthopedic surgery too--it's pretty much bloody carpentry--but I'm an old dog and not looking to learn new trades. Actually I bought a couple 100-foot rolls of high-quality band saw blade stock and 2 different guys who had welders couldn't get the welds right. So while it's not rocket science it's not like putting some duct tape on a joint and hoping for the best. I'm sure professional welders will back me up.

12/4/18       #4: broken bandsaw blades ...
rich c.

How many of your blades break before getting dull? Always on the weld or other location? Are you just using it for resawing? You also don't mention the steel in the blade. Basically two types of welding, butt welding and flash welding. Flash welding is what you want. Also a skilled operator or high end machine that can do a quality annealing after welding. You don't want to try and do a partial weld. Cut the weld out, and then a new weld. I'd also guess the band is too thick for that size wheel if you are seeing that much breakage.

12/5/18       #5: broken bandsaw blades ...
Tony Member

These are good blades "Morse" brand from Charles GG Schmidt). They never break on the original weld, but develop a fracture over time. I primarily rip solid stock, and only occasionally re-saw anything thicker than 8/4. Tony

12/5/18       #6: broken bandsaw blades ...
dave

You might want to check the crossline on your wheels. If you turn the wheels backwards (carefully) by hand the blade should stay put. If it moves forward or back you may need to align the wheels-they should be parallel.

12/5/18       #7: broken bandsaw blades ...
rich c.

I suggest you try a thinner gage blade, or try a 1/2" wide with that tooth count. You may be running too heavy of gage on those wheels, inducing bending fatigue.

12/5/18       #8: broken bandsaw blades ...
rich c.

As long as you aren't loading the blade in the guides with cutting too tight of radius, the only other mistake you can make is feeding too fast. After that, it's only tension and too thick for the size wheel that will cause issues.

12/7/18       #9: broken bandsaw blades ...
am

I use a lot of bandsaw blades and can tell you they are not all created equal despite who sells them and what they say about them. Treat yourself to a Lennox Wood master B and carefully track usable time on the machine. You just might be amazed that the added cost will be easily repaid and them some in longevity.

12/10/18       #10: broken bandsaw blades ...
BH Davis  Member

x2 on AM's suggestion for the Lennox Woodmaster B blade. You can get them from CT Saw and Tool by UPS and many other dealers. Just because you are using a quality blade doesn't mean it is the best blade for your setup.

As to the stress cracking my experience is that the 16" band saw wheels (I'm assuming that's what they are from the model number) are pushing the limits in terms of radius for a 3/4" blade. If possible try switching to a 1/2" blade and see if you get better results.

After years of fine tuning blade tension and alignments I eventually got my Laguna 18" Resaw Master 1" x 3tpi Lennox Woodmaster B blades to last the life of the tooth without breaking from stress cracks. That was with an 18" wheel and I think yours is smaller. While it's the 3/4" blades you are having a problem with it is the same problem I had with the Resaw Master.

I suggest going to the Lennox blades and getting hold of a blade tension gauge to dial in the top wheel tension. Years ago there was a dealer in NY that lent out their tension gauge but they closed their band saw blade division. Perhaps you could find someone that has one to loan. You can't count on the tension gauge on the saw.

BH Davis

1/6/19       #12: broken bandsaw blades ...
William Falberg Member

If your blade is deflected (contact) by anything other than blade transport wheel tires you're causing a slight momentary bend with every blade revolution. It accumulates metal fatigue at X repetitions per minute at a rate you can't imagine. If you were to gently bend a weld between two pliers you'd eventually break it. Band saw blades go through hundreds of such bends every minute. The higher the blade is tensioned the faster they'll break. You can back off the tension or back off the blade guides to solve the breakage problem. I don't let anything deflect my blades nor let the blade flutter enough to run against a blade guide in operation. Band saws are all about blade transport. Operating the saw with the blade not running straight between the wheels creates incredibly tight radius bends where the blade enters at an angle and again when it exits the workpiece, changing direction again to return to the lower wheel. That, alone is two bends. Then add in the bends where the blade leaves and enters the blade guides. So that's four little bends and you only just started! Multiply by 400-500 blade revolutions per minute times 4 occurrences of the half inch radius bend and you're wondering why your blades are breaking?

1/14/19       #13: broken bandsaw blades ...
Tony

William, your info seems technically well informed--thanks. If I could distill a bit:
--don't over-tension
--don't allow blade guides to contact blade
Thanks Tony

1/15/19       #14: broken bandsaw blades ...
William Falberg Member

Another thing: let go of the workpiece occasionally to check that the blade is not being deflected. With low tension you might not feel when you're pushing the blade to the left or right as you follow a scribe line forward. I leave enough space between the upper blade guides to see when the blade touches and correct immediately. If the blade isn't touching the blade guide it can't be deflecting (assuming your guides are set to the nominal straight path from top to bottom wheel). If the workpiece is too heavy to slide itself back into alignment you'll have to push it back. So; while you're watching your scribe line with both eyes, keep your third eye on the blade guides. They're not just for twisting the blade into radius cuts, they guide your eye through straight cuts to keep the saw and the workpiece in line with the wheels' path. Watch the space between the blade and the rollers and you won't break as many welds. Keep your tension as low as your tensioning system allows to conserve horsepower.

2/5/19       #15: broken bandsaw blades ...
David Member

In my opinion you get what you pay for with these blades and you might want to opt for the more expensive saw blades so you aren't changing them out so often.

10/21/19       #16: broken bandsaw blades ...
Collin Member

There has got to be a better bandsaw blade to use than what you are using currently. Consider Lennox Wood master B. Will last longer.

https://countertopsspokane.com

4/22/20       #19: broken bandsaw blades ...
Josh Garza

I would aim for a more quality blade and band-saw.

4/22/20       #20: broken bandsaw blades ...
Tony (op) Member

To William Falberg, Just to be clear, the blades never break on the welds, they break along a gullet. I took your advice and backed off the side blade guides completely. This seemed to help. I use the saw with a 3/4" blade for all my rough ripping of solid wood, and the guides are not needed as long as the tension is right. I will try one of the recommended blades next order. Tony

4/22/20       #21: broken bandsaw blades ...
BH Davis  Member

Tony,

If the saw has steel guides you can swap them out for a bearing guide set if one is available for the saw, or a phenolic guide set which is much less expensive. A worthwhile upgrade.

BH Davis

7/7/20       #22: broken bandsaw blades ...
JT Member

It really comes down to the quality of blade you're using. Rather than repair, looks at some other premium blade options out there.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors

Become a Sponsor today!