Pulling a Shaper Spindle

Advice on removing a stuck spindle from a shaper. July 23, 2014

I picked up a used F115 shaper. It has some slight oxidation overall but not heavy. I cannot release the spindle that's presently in place. I've soaked it with penetrant for a day. I've had a chain wrench on it with an extension, tapping the collet/sleeve to no avail. I'm going clockwise. The manual says that the upper edge of the sleeve should be 3mm below the seat of the spindle. This is sitting about 5mm below. I'm loathe to put a torch to the sleeve but I'm at my wit's end.

Are you sure youíre turning the right direction? I have no experience with that machine. On my shaper the collet to secure the spindle turns counter-clockwise to release the spindle. May be worth double checking to make sure youíre turning the correct direction before going further.

The manual says the, "spindle has a taper shank and the shank is secured in place by the sleeve which has an internal double thread so that it can be easily unscrewed. Turn the sleeve clockwise and remove the spindle." The diagram also shows a spanner wrench turning clockwise. I spoke with a tech at SCM/Casadei who said it should be counter-clockwise. So I went counter with the chain wrench plus the extension and was able to break the sleeve loose, which only turned 1/4 of a revolution. I'm not sure of which direction to go now. Perhaps with the sleeve somewhat free, I can jury-rig a puller to see if I can release the spindle.

No, don't try to pull it! If it's anything like my setup you have to unthread it. Essentially as you spin that collar the spindle unscrews upward. Since it cracked a bit going counter-clockwise I would be tempted to keep working it that way. Maybe soak it with the penetrant of your choice for a little while and try it again. For what itís worth when I first pulled my spindle out it was pretty tight as well. Now it's been thoroughly cleaned and put back together and it's still a bit tough to get out without a breaker bar. It also will usually break and spin a tiny bit, and then you have to force it again. It's a different manufacturer for sure, but the system may be similar?

Got it! I continued counter-clockwise with the chain wrench and a 3' extension and the sleeve finally broke completely free and the threads were pretty dirty. Yeah Contributor F, similar system. Thank you for your input.

Glad you got it out safely! I bought most of my equipment from auctions or from retiring shop owners. Always amazes me at how poorly guys treat expensive equipment! I make sure, (as I'd guess most guys on here do also), my spindle and threads are really clean before it goes in. I'm sure you'll do the same now that you have her apart.