Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Building Shutters / Cutting Louvers

8/24/21       
Chad Lueken

We are an Architectural Millwork Co. building wood windows & doors. A year and a half ago we bought a shutter company.

Although it is a good business and orders come in consistently, building shutters is a lot different than windows & doors. For example, there are a lot more parts to a shutter. Especially the louvers. If we get a project for a house full of shutters we could be easily cutting 10,000 louvers for the project.

I am looking for advice on a saw to cut all of these parts so the process is not so manual. Is there an automatic type saw that will cut this many parts to specifications in a little amount time or set the machine up and you can walk away and do something else?

I also have the issue of tearout when cutting the louvers to length. Not only do you need to cut this many parts you need to go through each one to make sure the tear out from the saw blade is sanded down. No tearout means no sanding.

I appreciate you feedback in advance on how to improve our louver processing.

Thanks,
Chad

8/24/21       #2: Building Shutters / Cutting Louvers ...
rich c

You need a straight-line rip saw, and a minimum of a 4 head moulder. Both self feed and you get finished long lengths of stock. Then an uncut saw to cut to length. There are many component companies that will give you a bid on 12' strips of louver stock.

8/25/21       #3: Building Shutters / Cutting Louvers ...
David R Sochar Member

Rich is correct, except you need an upcut saw, vs his typo. You can gang slats up to 10, 15 or even 20 slats wide, and make a cut. If you can't get 10,000 slats before lunch, you are not trying.

And a gang rip saw is also needed. Way back when, I could cut up 10,000l/f of slat stock in a couple of hours. It took longer to put it away than to rip.

The molder will not run more than 30 l/f min, so it will take 5-1/2" hrs there, at best.

As for quality of cut, you are mortising the entire slat into the stiles, correct? A 3/8" mortise or deeper is required for good work, with a snug to tight fit for the slats. You will not have tearout issues beyond 3/8", I hope.

Morgan Door will dub the two tong edges of the slat end with a sanding operation, hopper fed. This would help them ease a slat into its mortise, then a hydraulic press clamped the whole thing together.

The mortises are made with a Festo or similar routing operation that does both stiles at the same time. Louvers are an old time product, and most louver companies had shop made machines for many of the operations. The shop I worked in (ca. 1975) making louvers had 2-3 machines with automotive switches repurposed from brake lights that would trigger operations.

8/26/21       #4: Building Shutters / Cutting Louvers ...
Chad Member

Thanks for your responses.

Just to be clear, (not that it makes a difference), the majority of our business is interior operating shutters. Our specialty are shutters for historical homes. We make Pocket shutters as well as Victorian and Plantation shutters. We also make rolling shutters for sliding doors.

We do make exterior shutters, it is not a high percentage at this time.

At this time we are buying most of our lineal from suppliers. So we don't need to run stiles and louvers through a rip saw or moulder.

We are considering doing this in-house in the future to have more control over quality.

Couple of our issues: Almost all parts for shutters are made from Basswood. As you may know Basswood is very soft and gets dings and marks in it every time you touch it. I am concerned with an upcut saw for two reasons:

1.) the hold down for the parts is going to nick up the parts.

2.) Tear out from the saw is going to cause us to sand the ends of the louvers.

At some point we may be making our own parts out of Birch or Maple so the material is denser/harder.

Do you have recommendations for an upcut saw? I do like that they are safer than a pull (radial arm) saw.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Chad

8/26/21       #5: Building Shutters / Cutting Louvers ...
David R Sochar Member

Oh - Movable slat shutters! That is something else.

The better movable slat shutters have a pin machined at each end of the slat. This is done with a round end tenoner of sorts. The machine was small and purpose built.

A slat would be grabbed and pulled to a stop. The shop I worked in made 98% of their movables in Pine - Sugar Pine. The stop set the extreme length of the slat, adjustable from about 5" to 24" or so. Once the machine started, the slat would revolve in a circle (defining the center of the to be made pin) while a swivel head saw group would activate and move towards the revolving slat. The saws would produce a tenon or pin for two slats - the first one to the left of the saws, and then the next one right of the saws. As that group of saws swiveled back out of the cut, it swung enough to to bring in a saw to cut the two slats apart. One slat was cut free, and dropped into a bin. The slat was pulled forward for another cycle. The cycles were adjustable, but it was kept at about 3-7 seconds per slat. The slats had to be started into the machine by hand, but once it grabbed the slat, it fed it unto the end.

This saw group that made the tenon and the shoulder cut was never changed - sharpened or adjusted in the 8 years I worked in that shop. Yet it made splinter-free cuts day in and day out. 10,000 slats? Two days with that machine, by a 84 yr old man on a stool.

I will mention the secret to good movables is to have that tenon/pin bottom out in the drilled stile. This prevents the shoulder - splinter-free, we hope - from rubbing the stile and dragging in the finish, whether it is paint or stain.

This machine is not on the shelf. You will have to make one. Even then, it may take a few tries before you get rid of the splinters.

8/26/21       #6: Building Shutters / Cutting Louvers ...
rich c

Try this place for machinery. I just went to Google, but looks like these guys know what they are doing, and it's a rare American Manufacturer.

https://texasmachinedesign.com

9/22/21       #7: Building Shutters / Cutting Louvers ...
Steve2 Member

There is a lot more specialized equipment specifically available for this industry than is known apparently. Google 'Shutter machinery manufacturer' or similar. Items to cut as stated, rout, drill the end pins, route for control rods or hidden side rods, and particularly for assembly setup fixtures/jigs.
Also, I respectfully comment on your 'all bass wood' comment. Those doing stain grade work, there is a lot of Poplar and other hardwood used.

In any event, I think you will find a lot of great machinery, if not let me know. Good luck.

9/23/21       #9: Building Shutters / Cutting Louvers ...
Mitch Suber Member

Chad, not only do shutters present problems with cutting large numbers of louvers, keeping them separate and tracking them to assembly can be a problem too. Louver boxes and labels helps us there.
Not sure if you are currently doing so, but do not cut interior louvers with a radial arm. The cross cutting action and any movement in the saw beam can be a big problem. We have consistently cut louvers with a pair of 12” Dewalt chop saws for years, I’m sure an up cut would be better, but we never made that change. If your cutting a huge volume, Texas Machines is the best. And expensive or not, that depends on your volume.
The best two things we ever did was put a heavy duty serrated stop fence on each chop saw. Nothing moves, ever. Your saw blades and speed of cut will give you the fastest improvement with good quality. I’m constantly telling my shutter part cutter to slow it down. Splintering and blowing out the ends of 1000s of shutter stiles, rails and louvers doesn’t make any sense to me. When employees tell me how fast they can cut shutter parts, I cringe. Quality first, then we work on speed. Especially when you spend hours and hours repairing the damage. Slow steady cuts will still allow for cutting a huge job in a reasonable amount of time. We do gang cut our louvers to length, typically 3 or 4 at a time. If we cut more than 4, we find one here or there doesn’t get pulled to the stop. It only takes one short louver to make a shutter look like crap! And any customer will see it from a mile away.
We keep a combination of 4 saw blades for our miter saws. Offhand I think they are approximately 100 teeth each, and all have a negative tooth pattern so the blade doesn’t pull through the material too fast. Something else to consider is we keep a 1/4 sheet pad sander mounted upside down in our louver area. After cutting we hold 4 louvers on the pad for a 3 count. After sanding we hit the louver boxes (the ends) with lacquer primer or SW Problock in spray cans. Yes it’s more added steps, but the louver ends will take a sprayed finish so much better. Nothing I hate worse than a customer noticing our louver ends weren’t finished well. I hope this helps.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Doucet Machinery
    Sponsors

Become a Sponsor today!