Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Wavy / Rippled Lumber

11/18/21       
Dale Skipper  Member

Hello folks,

It's been a while since I've been on here. I'm curious if others run into this challenge. We go through several thousand board feet of 4/4 Poplar each and every week. In the photo you can see an example of a wavy/rippled board. We sort every lift and pull these out. Boards like this don't work well for mouldings. (I think firewood is about all they would work out for). Do you guys run into this issue with your Poplar as well? Any idea as to why we seem to get so much of it?

View higher quality, full size image (960 X 1280)

11/18/21       #2: Wavy / Rippled Lumber ...
David R Sochar Member

What responses does your vendor give for this? How about his competitors?

That is not normal, reasonable or acceptable. Make sure you lumberman hauls that away, and replaces with either cash or flat lumber.

If your vendor tries to foist that material on you, it will only get worse. How much in a lift do you get that defect?

11/18/21       #3: Wavy / Rippled Lumber ...
RichC

You need to be compensated, order a different grade, or look for a new supplier. That wide board next to it doesn't look that good, and looks like a good chance for sticker staining too. Good luck.

11/18/21       #4: Wavy / Rippled Lumber ...
Dale Skipper  Member

Hi Rich and David,

We have great suppliers. They do allow us to ship back wavy/rippled boards like this. It is frustrating though that this is a fairly common problem in lifts of Poplar for us. It varies from lift to lift of course. Some lifts have very little, some lifts are 30 - 40 percent like this. I personally suspect that this may be caused by not having the slats properly lined up when the material is dried. I could be wrong. If it is, then it would suggest a processing issue, and not the lumber itself. Thoughts?

11/18/21       #5: Wavy / Rippled Lumber ...
Leo G

It's wood. It changes shape as it dries. It happens. It's not great for long molding stock obviously. But cut up into shorts for other milled projects it can be flattened and used.

Talk with the mill you buy from to see if they can do something about it. If you are specifying that it is for moldings then that's what they should be selling to you. Not lumber you can't use.

11/18/21       #6: Wavy / Rippled Lumber ...
RichC

You may like the supplier, but that is pallet wood at the best. What grade are you buying? Here is a good statement to provide for your suppliers and let them know they are shipping stock that doesn't meet grade. Unless of course you are ordering #2 common.

https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/knowledge-center/wood-dr/warp-covered-lumber-grade

11/19/21       #7: Wavy / Rippled Lumber ...
David Sochar

I think I would re-examine my other vendors. To get more than 5% off grade in any load means you are working to sort his lumber, but not getting paid for it. Does the vendor reimburse you for the time to separate out the off grade, band it and ship back?
Selling and buying on grade is so basic: it is fundamental. And you are trying to get moldings? You gotta be kidding. They are doing you no favors.

11/19/21       #8: Wavy / Rippled Lumber ...
Leo G

Maybe they thought they were selling molding stock to Home Depot... LOL

Sorry, someone had to say it.

11/19/21       #9: Wavy / Rippled Lumber ...
Mark B

I buy units of #1 common and it looks nothing like that. Annoying knots that have to be graded out yes but dead flat. I would agree that they have a stikering/stacking problem and someone is not placing clubs over the stickers and they are destroying the entire unit of material below while its being air dried. Even the worst boards off a mill dont do that and absolutely not 30-40% of a unit. If your mill is pushing stock like that buying FAS is not even going to solve your issue.

Either change suppliers as mentioned or just start rejecting entire packs if they look to have a high percentage of junk like that. Unless your buying their dead lowest grade (which is nuts for molding) like you say, thats firewood.

11/20/21       #10: Wavy / Rippled Lumber ...
Adam

That's not acceptable. Your distributer accepted it. Therefore, he own's it. You don't own it. It was delivered to your door. Reject it.

I had an issue with Atlantic plywood many years ago, where their guys had a habit of trashing at least 1 sheet of my shipment with their forklift when loading the truck.

I rejected every damaged sheet. Then had them stop by and deliver the single replacement sheet by itself on the next truck later in the week.

After 4 times and a couple of phone calls they have never delivered me a damage sheet.

Personally, I would be concerned about the long term stability of all of the other wood in that delivery. It could be one bad apple or the canary in the coal mine.

11/20/21       #11: Wavy / Rippled Lumber ...
Dustin orth

As another molding manufacturer, I'd send all of that back. As others have said, firewood. Unless you're paying for firewood and expecting FAS.

11/20/21       #12: Wavy / Rippled Lumber ...
TonyF

Dale Skipper:

You never did say what grade of lumber you are purchasing. Warpage like that shown would, at least for me, call into question the quality of the entire bundle.

Have you taken a moisture meter to any of this lumber? If you rip the boards, do the rips twist and bow or do they stay straight? It has the appearance of improperly dried lumber. Since I don't know the stacking order, I can't say for certain whether the horizontal stripe is sticker stain or metal banding shadow, but that would be an indicator as well. If it is sticker stain and it is deep, that should be a warning also.

If, beyond the twisted pieces, the lumber is sound and usable, you might have the supplier's rep stop by and show them what their product actually looks like, and ask them to rebundle their stock based on your needs. It might cost more at that point, and if you are shopping on price, it might negate any savings over any other supplier.

Perhaps, as others have stated, you continue to receive this level of quality because you do not complain about it. If, upon discussion with the vendor, the product quality does not improve, then it is time to find another supplier, assuming that you can, given your locale and the current availability of certain materials.

Good luck.
TonyF

11/24/21       #13: Wavy / Rippled Lumber ...
d conti

Yes, I would return it. Over the years I have had many "bad" shipments of lumber, on the other hand I have had shipments that were way better then I expected. Your supplier accepted a bad shipment and is trying to "just pass it on" . It is unfortunate that as time goes by it seems that there are fewer and fewer suppliers. They either go out of business or are bought up by bigger companies ( to reduce competition) Of course with fewer suppliers in competition with each other they no longer really care about "quality" anymore, if you don't like go somewhere else is their motto. I once bought a railroad car of 4/4 poplar to make trim out of. It was supposed to FAS and when I got it unloaded it and started going through it it was at best #1 common. Well it just so happened that one of my salesman was making the rounds with his vice president and he said "that is a good amount of lumber you have there" and I asked him what do you think of it ? Is it FAS or number 1 common? He looked at it and said that ain't no FAS, its barely #1 common. He had no idea that his company sold it to me! ( I wonder what he would have said if he had known) Well needless to say I got a very good credit from that company.

With the lumber you shown it is like my sister's daughter. She was a little plump and not to good looking. Well my sister and her husband keep letting her get married until finally some suiter did not bring her back. That lumber will be out for delivery quite a few times until finally one day it won't be brought back. Over the years I have sent quite a few back, and I have accepted my share that I should have sent back. There is a fine line between being troublesome customer, and being a knowledgable consumer.

1/5/22       #14: Wavy / Rippled Lumber ...
Dale Skipper  Member

Hi Folks,

Sorry for the delay in my response. To clarify our suppliers know that we are insanely fussy and demand only the best 4/4 Poplar. I buy only FAS and it must be bright stock, not stained Poplar. I also don't beat up our suppliers on price. I'm the kind of person that would rather pay more for quality. So it's never been a price issue. I don't moisture check often, but I have wondered if perhaps moisture plays a role in getting boards like this.

Thank you all for our feedback.

1/6/22       #15: Wavy / Rippled Lumber ...
Mark B

There is no moisture issue with material like that in your photographs. If you are specifying and paying for FAS and that is what your supplier is shipping your supplier is either having a very severe quality control issue in the yard, they are clueless, or they are trying to scam you dumping some ratty inventory.

I dont bring in FAS Poplar, we run #1 common, and I bring it in s2s@13/16 ans SLR1E, even when I bring in dead rough #1 common is clean, straight, and will often times yield 15/16 clean out of 4/4 stock.

Your supplier has problems. Its their issue to deal with on their end. If they cant, find another supplier.

View higher quality, full size image (2499 X 1167)

View higher quality, full size image (2584 X 1207)

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Doucet Machinery
    Sponsors

Become a Sponsor today!