Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Painted exterior wooden treads

3/11/22       
Matt Calnen

I just got a job to fabricate new wooden stair treads to replace the 10 year old ones that rotted. I have not seen this job yet, but will be meeting the homeowner next week, and I wanted to present some good ideas to her. The rotted treads I am told are old growth vertical grain Douglas Fir. They where coated in epoxy, then primed and painted. I’m not sure how they where fastened down.
I can think of two options for fastening.
One is to not mechanically fasten down, so a prefinished tread does not have its protective finish punctured. Thinking I could just set them in a bed of adhesive marine caulk.
My other thought is to make sure the pressure treaded stringers have a strip of vycor to create a moisture barrier between the stringer and the tread, and use a plastic open weave fabric like they use behind cedar shingles so they can breathe and dry out if they do get wet in that area. This set up I would have to mechanically fasten, maybe from the bottom to minimize punctures in the treads.
Any other ideas are welcome.
Now, what do I make the treads out of? Is it possible to paint Ipe or Teak? I assume you would have to wipe with a solvent to remove the oil, then prime and paint as usual? I just have not heard of anyone painting that type of wood before.
My go to exterior woods are genuine or African Mahogany. I wasn’t sure if those would be suitable. One stairway is 50 yards from Lake Michigan, facing southwest. It will take a lot of sun and sand. Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated

3/11/22       #2: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Josh Koschak Member

Can you use composite decking?

3/11/22       #3: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Matt Calnen

No I cannot. The homeowner has lovingly restored a grand cottage, and wants everything to be made of wood or masonry. A good customer that I want to take care of.

3/11/22       #4: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Eddie

Red Grandis

3/11/22       #5: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Adam

If they are hell bent on painted treads, I would go with a African mahogany. It’s hard enough for treads and takes paint well. We used to use it for paint grade exterior handrails before Spanish cedar became common.

3/11/22       #6: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Adam

Red meranti is available in different dimensions milled for decks. I’ve painted that before as well.

3/11/22       #7: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
RichC

Since you are in the midwest, black locust is the perfect choice. No need for rain forest lumber.

3/12/22       #8: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Tom Gafgen

If it's to be painted what's wrong with using good old pressure treated ?

3/12/22       #9: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Fred Frehner

I would go for Accoya considering the are painted.https://www.accoya.com/
Can comment on the fastening without having a clear picture of the stringers and access.

3/12/22       #10: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Matt Calnen

Thanks for the replies thus far. I will share pictures once I visit the site.
I don’t think pressure treated lumber is a good idea as it has to sit for a year prior to painting it, it’s normally made of new growth yellow pine with huge growth rings that are prone to cupping and the grain really shows through as it ages, and it’s quite soft.
I have heard of people speak of Black Locust on this site, I have never seen it for sale anywhere near me. Only as a landscape tree is my knowledge of it. I don’t have a source for the quantity I would need. My normal lumber supplier, LL Johnson, does not carry it.
Thanks again for the suggestions.

3/12/22       #11: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
RichC

It grows to large trees here around Peoria, IL. Black locust supplier

https://robidecking.com/resources/shipping/

3/12/22       #12: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
RichC

Also osage orange and white oak are among the best in the middle of the country. I detest the idea of cutting rain forests and shipping the wood half the way around the world to make a deck.

3/12/22       #13: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Geoff Wade

Quarter sawn White Oak.

3/12/22       #14: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Harold Pomeroy

If the treads rotted in ten years, perhaps the stringers are showing some wear.

This is a good example of why encapsulating wood in epoxy is a bad idea. It makes a mess manufacturing it, using it, disposing of it, and flaking off into the lake.

3/13/22       #15: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Pete

Is the underside ventilated? If they are enclosed like a stoop you may need to add vents.

3/13/22       #16: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Matt Calnen

Rich C, I used to feel the same as you about tropical woods. I now feel differently. Jon Arno had a good article in Fine Woodworking going over the topic in detail. This was in the late ‘90s if memory serves correct. He stated that developing countries in South America will protect and manage rain forests, because the timber was so valuable. A cash crop so to speak. If the tropical woods didn’t have value, they would cut and clear the forest to use it in other fashions.
I remember the 2000’s, when there was a ban on Mahogany. Brazil, having much less value to their trees, decided it would be better to slash and burn the forest and raise corn and beef to feed their people. They planted so much corn, they turned energy independent as they made ethanol and other fuels from the corn.
So as I see it, buying tropical woods actually helps preserve the rainforest. Transporting via freighter around the world is one of the most eco friendly ways of transport also. Plus, those decks last 50plus years. Another win. Just My thoughts. Always try to look at the other side of things!

3/13/22       #17: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
RichC

Matt, I would completely agree if there wasn't corruption and black markets. Elephants are protected too, but poaching is still a huge problem because there is still a market for ivory. Completely eliminate the market and there is no poaching. Same goes for forests.

3/14/22       #18: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
David R Sochar Member

One example of what happens with total bans is that of Brazilian Rosewood.

For several centuries, Brazilian Rosewood was sought after and nearly logged out of existence by the 1960's. Farmers would build roads so they could farm - another word for clear cut - slash and burn style. In a rain forest, all the nutrients are in the biosystem, not in the soil like here in N America. So, they would farm an area for a few years until the nutrients were played out, then clear cut more forest for the next farm.
While clear cutting, if they noticed a Rosewood log, they would segregate it and sell it for a few bucks. It would find its way out onto the World market and be sold for retail around $20.00 per b/f.
But after the Cites Ban, the log could not be exported, and it was illegal to cut. Suddenly it had no value, so it gets burned along with all the rest.
The unintended consequences of what seems to be a reasonable action are a good way to find our way out of the mess of regulations, beliefs, and reality.

3/14/22       #19: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Geoff Wade

but we digress...

3/14/22       #20: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Adam

Another way to look at it is somebody else 10 years ago cut up some clear Doug fir. Coated it in epoxy then slathered it with liquid plastic(paint). Now, it’s all being taken to the dump.

The green thing is super complicated.

It pains me how many cedar & redwood trees we cut down, mill, ship, nail to a house, paint with liquid plastic. Wait 10 years and grind it off contaminating the soil. Then apply more liquid plastic. Rinse & repeat every 10 years.

From a green standpoint vinyl siding is far superior.

3/15/22       #21: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
John Member

White oak is available and local. It will last a long time if painted.

There's no way something cut thousands of miles away and then shipped by an oil burning ship can be considered green in any way. I'm not saying not to use some tropical wood; only that it's not a green choice compared to a local wood.

John

3/16/22       #22: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
David R Sochar Member

"The green thing is super complicated."

That bears repeating. But the cycle - cut wood, paint with epoxy/paint/plastic, then haul to dump - omits "plant White Oak trees". Renewability is good for the planet, the forest, the woodworker and the people on the planet.

I have planted well over 400 trees, mostly hardwoods. Started in 1985. While I now only get the occasional stick or some firewood from my trees, I know (or "It is my hope") that someone will benefit from the trees. Shade, wind break, lumber, nuts, whatever. I just there is someone out there that understands woods, their uses and qualities that can benefit us so much.

I regularly see White Oak sills, in a semi exposed situation, that are 75 years old, and never had paint or finish on them. They are gray and sometimes a bit furrowed, but as solid as the day they were set.

4/23/22       #23: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Mike

We have been using this paint schedule for nearly 30 years with good success.

1 Bora-care all six sides
2 Penetrating paintable water repellant all six sides
3 Oil prime all six sides
4 Assemble
5 touch up primer
6 Top coat, at least two coats good quality paint

I did several experiments with this on my own house so I could monitor it. Built a yellow poplar trimmed porch, stupid right. Lasted 20 years with no rot, I removed it to put a new addition on the house. It was remarkable how solid everything was including the railing, birds mouths at balusters etc..

Wood storm windows, 28 years still sound.

Accoya looks promising. But we have only been using it for about 4 years. Hard to get right now. It is a little brittle, nailing outside miters and things like that, tends to chip easily. Very stable.

I visited a huge project that I worked on in the late 1990s, all pattern grade Honduran mahogany. Whole place is a rotten mess. Contributing factors were many on that particular job, but none the less, it really did not hold up.

On a job right now where they used some kind of a very hard mahogany, maybe African or Sepele, It seems to have held up pretty well. I am told the work is 15-20 years old.

For what its worth.

4/23/22       #24: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Dave Sochar

Mike- It is worth a lot. To get real feedback from the real world is very helpful as we try to find materials that will last in exposure. No one I know of is doing testing of several species/strategies to see what makes for better choices. Yet we - woodworkers, architects, designers, builders and homeowners- all are craving knowledge on the subject.
If we can affirm a long life on the things we make, the cost is justified. If a project has $20,000 worth of labor, and lasts 20 years, the labor is supported at the rate of $1,000/year. But if it lasts 40 years, then the labor becomes $500 per year, and is easier to justify.

Yes, we need to know all we can, even if only apocryphal, for our livelihood hangs in the balance.

4/23/22       #25: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Mike

We have been using this paint schedule for nearly 30 years with good success.

1 Bora-care all six sides
2 Penetrating paintable water repellant all six sides
3 Oil prime all six sides
4 Assemble
5 touch up primer
6 Top coat, at least two coats good quality paint

I did several experiments with this on my own house so I could monitor it. Built a yellow poplar trimmed porch, stupid right. Lasted 20 years with no rot, I removed it to put a new addition on the house. It was remarkable how solid everything was including the railing, birds mouths at balusters etc..

Wood storm windows, 28 years still sound.

Accoya looks promising. But we have only been using it for about 4 years. Hard to get right now. It is a little brittle, nailing outside miters and things like that, tends to chip easily. Very stable.

I visited a huge project that I worked on in the late 1990s, all pattern grade Honduran mahogany. Whole place is a rotten mess. Contributing factors were many on that particular job, but none the less, it really did not hold up.

On a job right now where they used some kind of a very hard mahogany, maybe African or Sepele, It seems to have held up pretty well. I am told the work is 15-20 years old.

For what its worth.

4/23/22       #26: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Matt Calnen

Thanks for the response, this project got postponed until the fall, but I am thankful for you sharing your experience. In your painting schedule, what are you using for item #2, a penetrating water repellent? Thanks again.

4/23/22       #27: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Adam

Mike,

That is the most extreme, costly rot prevention protocols I have ever read or heard about.

I'm not trying to be negative, but there has to be a more cost effective solution. I can imagine doing something that extreme if you were building in a known termite area.

If our highly rot resistant woods(cedar) are no longer dependable perhaps we need to completely rethink the whole game. Actually choosing plastics in specific cases because they are the correct choice.

I don't like milling plastic in the shop, but it's got beat applying coat upon coat of nasty stuff to a piece of rot prone wood.

At this stage we still use spanish cedar, cedar, redwood, sapele, red meranti for our exterior work.

If its near a known issue like end grain near a moisture source we will coat the end up about 3/4" with a general non diluted epoxy(West System or whatever I'm using at the time).

I've got a red meranti picnic table I made in 2000 for my wife's birthday. I did the epoxy on the legs and its been unfinshed sitting outside on the lawn in Connecticut for 22 years. Zero rot.

I built some quick cheap(8) 3' window boxes for my own house out 1x 8 C & better red cedar. Only screwed together with stainless decking screws. I did a 2 coat prime job with BIN shellac primer. Filled them with dirt and flowers. My wife(her boxes of course) said she would paint the outsides. She never did it. They were there only primed for 15 years. I took them off to repaint to sell the house. Zero rot. No paint delamination. BIN(because it is a sealer not just a primer) & Cedar is a winner. I guess I would rate it for direct burial. I wish I did it on my fence posts.

4/23/22       #28: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Matt Calnen

Adam, while I do appreciate all opinions, people who use the terms “always and never”, I have learned to always approach with caution(one of the absolutes I know to be true is nothing is always or never).
If you had taken the time to look up Bora, as I did as I had not heard of it either, it’s what appears to be a green product. While I’m not a complete sandal wearing hippie, I am concerned about the world I leave my children.
The picnic table you referenced sounds like it has no finish. Of course it can dry out without finish and last a long time.
Perhaps your wife’s flower boxes are made of old growth wood that is much more rot resistant than the newer trees? I live in cedar country, and I would never expect a flower box like that to survive 3-5 years. Is there an metal or plastic insert to the box helping the wood survive? I am a fan of Bin primer, there is a difference between surfaces that get walked on and surfaces that are nearly for show. Some people live in tougher climates than you do (as we have discussed before). Just because one thing works in one place does not mean it will work in another. The farmers around here would laugh at priming the buried portions of fence posts, it will only act as a condom, and hold the water inside the post, not let it dry.

4/23/22       #29: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Matt Calnen

Thanks for the response, this project got postponed until the fall, but I am thankful for you sharing your experience. In your painting schedule, what are you using for item #2, a penetrating water repellent? Thanks again.

4/24/22       #30: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Adam

Matt Calnen,

I actually did look up the Bora-care. It's exactly what I thought it would be. It's boric acid also known as borax. Hence, my comment about termites. We use boric acid in New England anytime we've got an ant or termite problem. I've used it on my own property. Works great. Non toxic. Definitely kills ants. We used to make our own water version and spray it with a pesticide sprayer on sills of post & beam buildings that had powder post beetle damage.

There were no liners in the boxes. wet dirt on cedar sealed with BIN. On the east coast we used to be able to easily buy C & better western red cedar with no knots. It's a face sawn product about 7/8" thick with this weird textured rough back side and a planed face. We often used it for corner boards etc. That was before preprimed became the norm. I have no idea if it was old growth or not. I wasn't counting the growth rings.

Using BIN on the buried section of a fence post was a.....joke.

I didn't use always or never in my comments.... You are the one who is always saying this or that will not work because of x, y or z.

I'm simply offering real world first hand examples of things that have worked or not worked for me. Take it as you like.

4/24/22       #31: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Adam

Matt Calnen,

Try going on Weather Spark.

I searched Lake Michigan Beach, Michigan for your location.
I searched Groton, Connecticut for mine.

I'm not seeing why you think your climate is anything exceptional. We get a lot of rain year round. Tons of hot humidity in the summer. Definitely a 4 seasons in a day kind of climate.

4/24/22       #32: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
Mike Member

We have used different paintable repellants over the years. Used to use Penta, I know toxic, discontinued. Then we went to Dap wood life solvent based, discontinued. Now the Dap is water-based, but still seems to work ok. We always oil prime over the wood life. Usually Cover stain.
I read about another paintable repellant over the winter, a home brew recipe. Turpentine, paraffin, varnish, etc. Can't remember where I read it... The important thing is that it is paintable. The objective is that if cracks develop in the paint film, the underlying wood won't wick water so readily. The owners still need to maintain their house, this isn't a panacea for neglect.
The schedule really isn't that much additional labor, both the Bora-care and repellant absorb into the wood. so it can be quickly applied with a hot-dog roller. No worries about roller marks etc. You just need to be able to plan and sequence your work.
BTW Bora Care is not quite as simple as Borax. US Forest Products lab have been doing studies with it for decades. Well worth reading about. Not a Nissus salesman, but they make a whole host of products that can make ordinary wood much more decay resistant. All these efforts are cheaper than doing it over prematurely.
My Business Law professor taught me a lesson 43 years ago that I have never forgotten. As a response to my dismal performance in class discussion he reminded me that "Those of us who can read, must read" It was embarrassing, and stuck with me forever. Good luck

Found the recipe for Water repellant preservative.
Forest Products Lab
3 cups ext. varnish
1 ounce shaved paraffin was
13 cups turpentine

I haven't tried it, but I intend to!
5/11/22       #33: Painted exterior wooden treads ...
pat gilbert

Gees Dave

"The unintended consequences of what seems to be a reasonable action are a good way to find our way out of the mess of regulations, beliefs, and reality."

You are starting to sound like a conservative

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors

Become a Sponsor today!