Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

First edgebander for small shop

8/5/20       
Richard Haislip Member

Website: https://www.facebook.com/Innovativebuildingservice...

Trying to pick out an edgebander for my small custom shop. we just got a giben g4 evo cnc with off feed table and are setting it up to do cabinets, built ins , vanities , we do all kinds of cabinets and a little of everything banding wise , mostly thin wood veneer , .5 - 1mm maybe 2 mm wood coil banding. Very little pvc banding. Some hardwood strip banding . Is pre milling a must have? High frequency motors ?

Felder and cantek both have dealers close by who i have relationships with.

Options
Scm me20 - 8000
Cantek mx340m - 12300
Scm me25 - 14000
Felder g330 - 14500
Cantek mx340 - 16500
Cantek mx350m w premil - 16500
Felder g360 premil hi freq - 20500
Cantek mx350 premill hi freq - 21600
Scm me 28 w premill - 22600

im leaning toward the cantek mx350m as it has a lot of features and also adjusts from the front so i can push it up against a wall or equipment (small shop)

8/5/20       #2: First edgebander for small shop ...
MarkB Member

If your talking pretty much all wood banding I wouldnt be overly concerned with pre-mill at all. But if you even remotely think you will move into any reasonable amount of melamine/laminate with PVC it would seem a wise consideration.

Small shop here and the issue for me is the time it takes to re-set from one setup to the next with regards to the bander. For a small shop like us to move from 1mm to 3mm PVC radiused or bevel edge is not a simple 2 second change over. So if your going to be running a lot of different edge profiles or thicknesses I would be wanting a machine that can make those adjustments with extreme speed and repeatability (like running one job spec in the a.m. and a different one that afternoon). My guess is far and away out of the budget your posting but no idea.

Once I get our machine dialed in I dread changing it. So given my limited experience in a small shop I would lock down your offering to the couple bander options you offer so you can swap over quickly and repeatably, or invest in a machine that will facilitate fast swaps for you.

8/5/20       #3: First edgebander for small shop ...
duster

Talk to your local dealers and if they have machines in stock, see if you can run some samples with the various edgebands you anticipate using. That way you can see how well they feed, glue, and trim the different materials and thicknesses. Edgebanders are fussy machines, and having a local dealer and service technician would be a big plus.

8/5/20       #4: First edgebander for small shop ...
Jim Kolar

I would look into premill and corner rounding. When I purchased my cnc I didn't think I needed premill and corner rounding on a bander. With all of the textured melamine on the market I regret no premill and corner rounding. Markets change and I limited my self with my bander.
I have alot more secondary work after the part is banded.

Best of luck

8/5/20       #5: First edgebander for small shop ...
Scott

I have never used Felder or Cantek, so it can’t comment on them, I have owned scm and Brandt. I like both of them but my first choice was the Brandt. The Brandt and the Scm run in the opposite direction, something to consider depending on your shop layout. I have also used a Casadei bander which was similar to the SCM, I also owned a Holtzer bander years ago, but the only thing I would compare it to is a boat anchor.

I would for sure recommend a glue pot and corner rounding. Premill would be a nice option to have, but I currently don’t have it and everything is cut straight and true so really no need for premill.

Jim, what kind of cnc do you have that you require premill?

8/7/20       #6: First edgebander for small shop ...
Jim Kolar

Scott,

Cnc is an omnitech and it cuts great a true work horse. I want the premill to improve the glue line with certain textured melamine colors.

8/7/20       #7: First edgebander for small shop ...
E Member

Just installed a Cantek 370 with corner round and pre-mill for around 26k.

I had two minor issues before the training tech came and I was able to get a phone call back from Cantek within an hour. We brainstormed and got everything running.
I’m hands on and prefer to do my own mechanical work if issues arise so having responsive service was paramount.

9/11/20       #8: First edgebander for small shop ...
Richard haislip Member

What is the difference between the mx340/350 and mx340/350m and is the price difference worth it?

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors

Become a Sponsor today!