Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Cabinet Face Frame Assembly

12/7/21       
Geoff Wade

Good day,
I currently assemble face frames with pocket holes. It works pretty well but, I don't love it. I have been considering how well a Hoffman dovetail router would work. I realise I would need to set up a fence with flip stops to machine both "stile and rail" of each joint. Once that is done (it seems) assembly would be quick and accurate.

Any insight is welcome,
Geoff

12/7/21       #2: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

What do you not like about pocket screws? What equipment are you using to create the pocket? What are you using for assembly?

If I were to do face frames any other way, I'd likely go back to mortise and tennon. But that's a ton of screwing around with little gain in my opinion.

12/7/21       #3: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
Bill Member

I agree with Karl we have multiple Hoffman machines and would not consider using them for face frames. Get a decent clamp. Castle makes one that is not terribly expensive and works well.

12/7/21       #4: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
RichC

Mortise and tenon was the first choice for high end back in the day, then dowels came into favor with some really simple double drill machines made it super efficient. Then frameless took over and no one had to fuss with the whole thing. Are your customers insisting on face frames?

12/7/21       #5: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

Frameless means having to turn an edgebander on. Gross. I don't sell much euro, a few percent, at best, of my sales during the year. We are selling a lot more slab front and full overlay though. Some things would be easier in frameless. Some things not.
12/7/21       #6: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
Pat Gilbert

Just curious

Is the concensus that framed cabinets are better even even with full overlay doors?

12/8/21       #9: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

I don't think there's a consensus on anything in that department.

Euro guys scoff at frames.
Face frame guys roll their eyes at frameless. Tough to build a traditional looking inset cabinet in frameless though

I just don't have what I feel is a good methodology to build frameless.

12/8/21       #10: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
Scott

It is interesting on what people want and what the shops prefer to do.

I have been building just about full overlay my whole life as I started with a shop that did all commercial and that was what I knew. They seem so simple to build, where as if I do a job with face frame, it’s like oh my, how do I build the face frames, what size should the face frames be, how do I get a perfect reveal around the whole door/drawer front and face frame? Oh no , major brain cramp, what kind of hardware do I need and how do I install it?

Karl has a system in place and he loves doing face frame, I on the other hand am not a fan.

12/8/21       #11: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
Geoff Wade

I know that if I wanted to read about the pros and cons of face frame vs framless/euro/32. I could go to the Knowledge Base page and read until I was, "blue in the face" or "the cows come home."

12/8/21       #12: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
Scott

It is interesting on what people want and what the shops prefer to do.

I have been building just about full overlay my whole life as I started with a shop that did all commercial and that was what I knew. They seem so simple to build, where as if I do a job with face frame, it’s like oh my, how do I build the face frames, what size should the face frames be, how do I get a perfect reveal around the whole door/drawer front and face frame? Oh no , major brain cramp, what kind of hardware do I need and how do I install it?

Karl has a system in place and he loves doing face frame, I on the other hand am not a fan.

12/9/21       #13: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
BobbyS

Frameless is better if you actually want to make money.

12/9/21       #14: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
Geoff Wade

How did this turn into ANOTHER argument about face frame vs frame less?

It was NOT my question.

12/9/21       #15: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
Pat Gilbert

It was mea culpa, some one asked me to bid an installation of some cabinets that had face frames with full overlay doors, so they were european looking on the outside.

The reason I usually hear is that they stay square and are stronger with the face frames.

12/9/21       #16: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
Pat Gilbert

BTW as one who has had a Hoffman I would not recommend it for faceframes.

Twice as much milling

If you have to index off the ends for any reason it doubles any error in the dovetail cut alignment

The Hoffman machine that I had was poorly designed for the stops

The keys are not cheap

Somebody on the woodweb recommended switching to quick screws for better results

12/9/21       #17: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
Scott

Geoff,

Could be my fault as well for getting off topic, I really have no comment on which is better or more work or more costly, just that I always did frameless.

Getting back on topic a company in my area went bankrupt a few years ago and they did exactly what Rich said , they used dowels, made a nice table out of aluminum and mounted a Blum machine on the horizontal, they had a foot pedal and a phenolic fence. The face frames were manufactured with 2 dowels per joint. It worked supper slick and was quite fast:

When I do the few that I end up doing, I use pocket screw.. I have also done a few with a festool domino, they turned out beautiful and were strong, definitely not an efficient system in my mind though..

12/9/21       #18: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
Geoff Wade

Thank you for the "on topic" responses. People sharing their experience is what make this website so great.
Geoff

12/9/21       #19: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

What is your path now? What is making the pocket? Drill and kreg jig? Optimizing saw that cuts and drills at once with layout marks? How are you assembling the joint? Across your knee with a screw driver? Robot assembling parts? How much money are you willing to spend to make it better? When you refuse to offer up useful information, staying on topic is useless.
12/10/21       #20: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
Thomas Hitefield

Geoff,
What is it that you "don't love" about ff screw? We build both ff and framless. What ever the customer wants. Pocket hole machines are not too expensive and work quite well. Alignment can be a problem sometimes as a joint might shift and leave one face proud of another. (widebelt sander fixes this real fast) Of all the methods available to assemble face frames, the pocket hole is the fastest. If you use dowel and have a good setup you don't have to worry about the minor slippage (caused by the angle of the pocket hole) when joining a rail to a stile. Once we have built all the face frames they go through the wide belt sander alleviating any alignment problems.
For us FF vs Frameless is left up to the customer. Hope this helps.

12/10/21       #21: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
Geoff Wade

I use a bench top Kreg pocket hole machine, pneumatic.

Things I don't like are; you can only get one srcew in most face frame parts any they can rotate on the screw if you are not careful, if you have a place where two horizontal parts meet a narrow vertical part the screws can hit each other, I have hit the screws with a saw when triming the scribe rail when walls are far out of plumb.

My original thought was that using a Hoffman dovetail router would solve these issues.

12/10/21       #22: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

I use Castle machines for making pockets. I set the depth so an 1-1/2" face frame screw penetrates 11/16" to the piece being attached. Castle really does have the best angle, and the pilot hole is beneficial over the step bit the kreg I assume still uses. I have one setup in the face frame area for doing frames using their solid carbide serrated tool. We do not run engineered material on that one. The other one is near the benches and I use a 2 flute tool, as we'll use that in any material necessary.

I like the Deerborn fine thread screws for most materials, but keep some of the kreg brand course screws on hand for softer material like alder.

Assembly, I think the castle brand tables are too squishy. I've got a Unique brand 5x12 assembly table that I'm a fan of. Good angle, and it's super stiff. The Ritter table is good too, but it's angle is much flatter, and stuff up high is a bit of a reach. I'm 6'2" and have a decent wingspan.

I wouldn't bother with a used Castle. New ones aren't that much more, and the old ones you will struggle to find parts for the discontinued routers they have.

12/11/21       #23: Cabinet Face Frame Assembly ...
Jimb0839 Member

Yes on castle pocket machine.inch and half face frame two screws.why can u only get one screw in?l bought a Hoffman machine at auction cheap thinking I could put it to so use but never have found that go need.so it sits in the corner of shop waiting.those that have one what are u doing with it?

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • Wood Doctor's Rx, LLC
      Wood Processing Seminars, Kiln Operators Seminar & Training, and Advanced Drying Evaluation & Training
    • Template Services
      Professional Moulding Design and Template Making Service
    • ECabinet Systems
      Free, Fully Functional Cabinet Design Software and Kitchen Layout Software
    • Safety Speed Manufacturing
      Economical Vertical Panel Saws, Panel Routers, Edgebanders and Widebelt Sanders
    • TotalFinishingSUPPLIES.com
      Solutions and supplies from spray tips to spray booths for all your woodworking needs
    • Cab Parts
      Pre-manufactured Components for Easy-to-Assemble Cabinet Boxes
    • Denray Machine
      Quality Dust Filtration Systems Provided by an Industry Leader in Wood, Metal, and Many Other Dust Control Applications
    • Cabinetshop Maestro
      Web-Based Project Management Software for Custom Cabinet Shops - Manage Jobs from Prospect to Punchlist Through Scheduling, Task Management, Time Tracking and Communication
    • Unique Machine & Tool
      Industrial Machinery for Door and Drawer Production
    • Thermwood Corporation
      Computer Numerical Control (CNC) Routers and Accessories
    • iBiDMachinery
      The Nation's #1 Used Woodworking Marketplace - Buy and Sell Woodworking Equipment with iBiD!
    • Holz-Her US Inc.
      Custom Edgebanders, Vertical Panel Saws, CNC Beam Saws, Wide Belt Sanders, CNC Point to Point Boring Machines, CNC Routers
    • Veneer Systems Inc.
      Specializing in Veneer Equipment and Veneer Supplies

Become a Sponsor today!