Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Solid panel in vanity with reveal

1/20/22       
Mark Member

Hello,
I am building 2 Bath Vanities out of White Oak, I suppose design wise it would lean more towards "furniture" style than a traditional cabinet for a visual.

There are 4 legs 1.75 x 1.75 with a top rail and bottom rail about 18" from the top. The sides will have a solid White Oak panel 1/2"+ thick ~18" x 18". Between these two rails, the panel will will be flush with the legs and the rails with a reveal 1/8" to 1/4" around the edges to create a shadow line. I would like it to be as minimal as possible but am worried about expansion. Looks like White Oak has the possibility of expanding quite a bit, I don't know the change in MC from Winter to summer in my area so I just took a guess at 4MC which when plugged into the calculator gives me something like .26xx - Am I looking at this the right way?

The other question is how to best keep the panel centered, I was thinking of using space balls but now think it may be better to just pin it in the center top bottom inside rail and maybe just space balls on the bottom top to help with any rattle. thinking this may be the best way to have any chance of the panel expanding equally right/left so the reveals stay somewhat even.

Hopefully I explained it clear enough, any feedback/recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

1/20/22       #2: Solid panel in vanity with reveal ...
Mark Member

Here is a screen shot for a better idea. It is showing a 1/4” reveal, I would like to do 1/8” - 3/16” but idk…

View higher quality, full size image (2388 X 1668)

1/20/22       #3: Solid panel in vanity with reveal ...
Thomas Gardiner

I haven't done the calculations to double check the the answer but it sounds about right. You could halve the movement by selecting quartered or rift cut oak.
With respect to keeping the panel centered, you can pin the panel tongue top and bottom in the centre from inside the cabinet.
The down side of a frame and panel here is that any water drip down the side could collect in the groove at the bottom of the panel and discolour the wood.

1/21/22       #4: Solid panel in vanity with reveal ...
Kevin Dunphy

You are overthinking this too much about wood shrinkage. You can't predict wood with a calculator; if the bathroom has a shower, all bets are off the steam will keep the wood stable.

What I know is I've worked on 70 years white oak doors exterior doors 3 inches thick in Montreal, which means coldest arctic winter steaming hot summers there was no line.

I've installed a lot of doors. I'm in probably the worst designed houses in North America, meaning no thought of house humidity, just dry electric heat till June. Made doors, bought doors never any callbacks for lines. Also lots of doors on BOATS.

Seen customers blame me when there 2 by 4 shrinks in new construction and I went to the ceiling and there was a gap because of the shrinkage.

I hope you don't show the customer the calculation it won't show your smart just something for the customer to worry about and ammunition if they don't like something down the road
The drawing looks great

1/21/22       #5: Solid panel in vanity with reveal ...
Mark Member

Thanks, unfortunately i have the side panels resawn out of flat sawn already, do you think that if i allow 1/8” deeper slot that would be enough for the movement or should i go 1/4”?

Good point on the lower rail, I didn’t think of that

1/21/22       #6: Solid panel in vanity with reveal ...
Mark Member

I disagree that you can’t predict wood expansion, you most certainly can “predict” shrinkage/expansion of wood. How good your prediction is depends on the amount of information one has but that’s a different discussion.

You are probably correct that I am over thinking this but I am not really loosing sleep over it, just looking for feedback from others who have more experience with this than I do, typically I do panels like these in laid up in veneer so I have never really thought about it.

I also realized last night as you pointed out that because in the bath it may be more stable and won’t see that much expansion/shrinkage anyways.

I am mostly concerned with the reveal staying consistent I am absolutely not concerned about the construction method.

So maybe I listed too much info and the question should have been something like:

- I have a frame and panel, the panel has a 3/16” reveal on all 4 sides of the panel. I want the reveals to stay consistent through seasonal movement if any occurs. If i pin the panel in the center will the panel expand/contract evenly so that the reveal remain the same?

Why in the world would anyone share that info with the customer? I would simply say, sorry it can’t be done, plus my customers already know I am smart :)

1/21/22       #7: Solid panel in vanity with reveal ...
Thomas Gardiner

There's no harm in working a deeper dado. Apply one or two coats of finish to the panels and frame grooves before assembly to seal them. This will help with any water that might get caught in the groove.
Hey Kevin, I'm just down the road in Ottawa. In my experience, most of the wood movement problems I see are in the first year. I have been seen plenty of panelled doors that are showing off unfinished edges due to shrinkage. I'm sure a walk around your neighbourhood would show you an old door or two with a split in the lower rail.

1/21/22       #8: Solid panel in vanity with reveal ...
Mark Member

I disagree that you can’t predict wood expansion, you most certainly can “predict” shrinkage/expansion of wood. How good your prediction is depends on the amount of information one has but that’s a different discussion.

You are probably correct that I am over thinking this but I am not really loosing sleep over it, just looking for feedback from others who have more experience with this than I do, typically I do panels like these in laid up in veneer so I have never really thought about it.

I also realized last night as you pointed out that because in the bath it may be more stable and won’t see that much expansion/shrinkage anyways.

I am mostly concerned with the reveal staying consistent I am absolutely not concerned about the construction method.

So maybe I listed too much info and the question should have been something like:

- I have a frame and panel, the panel has a 3/16” reveal on all 4 sides of the panel. I want the reveals to stay consistent through seasonal movement if any occurs. If i pin the panel in the center will the panel expand/contract evenly so that the reveal remain the same?

Why in the world would anyone share that info with the customer? I would simply say, sorry it can’t be done, plus my customers already know I am smart :)

1/21/22       #9: Solid panel in vanity with reveal ...
DJS

We have built many doors like this from many different materials with reveals ranging from 1/8" to 1/2". This is a popular style when a customer wants something a little different. We brand this as "transitional". I've never had a call back or a door failure. It's a frame and panel door like any other, built with space balls like any other, designed for the center panel to expand and contract like any other. If the reveal were to measure 3/32 in the winter and 5/32 in the summer, who cares?

The attached image happens to be the back side of a door in my office, but reverse it and you have exactly what you're describing.

View higher quality, full size image (756 X 1008)

1/21/22       #10: Solid panel in vanity with reveal ...
Mark Member

DJS, thanks for the info.
No one would care about 1/16”, i am more concerned if for example (extreme case) if the reveals are 1/4” and the wood moves 3/16” in one direction now you have a 1/16” gap on one side and 1/4” on the other.

I was planning on pinning it in the center but I don’t know if the wood expands evenly right and left.

I have never used space balls, I mostly build furniture now but 25 yrs ago I did a lot of cabinets. So with space balls yow just add the diameter of the ball to the depth of the slot?

1/21/22       #11: Solid panel in vanity with reveal ...
DJS

Exactly. Space Balls are about 1/4" in diameter so we allow about 3/16" extra beyond the size of the panel. This effectively centers the panel and keeps it centered even if there is expansion and contraction, so long as you do not pin the panel.

1/21/22       #12: Solid panel in vanity with reveal ...
Kevin Jenness Member

Center pinning from the back or space balls will work. Space balls with a 3/16" gap will center the panel during glueup, otherwise you will have to center it with a putty knife or similar tool. If pinned in the center, any difference in movement to either side will be negligeable unless the grain orientation changes drastically from edge to edge.

Your assumption about a 4% seasonal change in mc is probably not too far off, but it is good to know for planning purposes and a good idea to allow for more potential movement. If the shrinkulator predicts .266" overall movement and your wood is at the low end of your predicted mc range, a 1/8" reveal may wind up at 0 in the summer and could even force the joints apart. A wider reveal, like 1/4", will mask the potential movement to a degree. When I use a narrow reveal as a design element I prefer to use a stable veneered panel and keep the gap at about 3/32". A 1/4" reveal shows enough of the rabbet that it may need sanding. At 1/16" or 3/32" you get a "reveal that conceals".

Do you know the moisture content of your lumber? Do you monitor or control the humidity in your shop? Do you know what the in-service humidity range will be?
1/21/22       #13: Solid panel in vanity with reveal ...
Mark Member

1/21/22       #14: Solid panel in vanity with reveal ...
Mark Member

Kevin, thanks for the detailed response.

Humidity in shop is not controlled and the vanities will be open in a bath. I think you have provided the answer.

I really want to keep the reveals at a minimum or it looses a clean look that I am going for, I think I will resaw the half inch panels (there are three per panel and makeup a veneered panel.
That way i can stick with 3/32” max gap which is what I was looking for.

I can successfully plane to 3/32” and if brave 1/8” and will glue to 3/8” or 1/2” bb. I am well. Versed in commercial veneer but limited in shop sawn, i have used t2 with success in the past but wonder if I should use a harder glue line in this case

1/21/22       #15: Solid panel in vanity with reveal ...
Mark Member

Edit… 1/16” if brave…

1/21/22       #16: Solid panel in vanity with reveal ...
Kevin Dunphy

Maybe smart wasn't the best choice of words.

I think you got some feed back nobody wants a callback. I'm sure the vanity will be in the house long after your gone.

Thomas, I'm move to Newfoundland 14 years ago right beside St.John's .I work for 20 years in Montreal had my start in Antiques which was a great introduction to cabinetmaking ended up in commercial aircraft private jets for a few years . Then went on my own . I think your ideas are good

1/24/22       #17: Solid panel in vanity with reveal ...
Adam Spees

The fact that you are worrying about a panel moving more to the left than the right after it is pinned in the middle is madness.

They will expand at more or less the same rate depending on the grain. The differences between those is negligible. If the grain is quatersawn on one side and face sawn on the other then it would possibly show, but who would do that?

Go with the calculator. The vast majority of raised panel doors are based on 1/8" per foot regardless of species. I can't remember ever having a problem in 25 years. 18" panels are wide for solid. I would be concerned about it warping before assembly. Going with a thicker 5/8" or 3/4" panel will warp less than your proposed 1/2".

1/25/22       #18: Solid panel in vanity with reveal ...
Gary B.

Everyone else has beaten the size change to death. If you're absolutely concerned about it, put in a mid-stile and 2 panels.

1/26/22       #19: Solid panel in vanity with reveal ...
Mark Member

Adam S:
Is it madness? Or is the reveal just a detail that I am interested in getting right and something you don't consider important...

Gary B:
Thanks for the response, that's something I actually didn't think of unfortunately the look doesn't work for the design.

As suspected the reveals I want to maintain are not possible with solid, I am going to re-saw and press to BB which will resolve my concerns.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • Vexor Custom Woodworking Tools, Inc.
      Custom and Standard Router Bits, Shaper Cutters, Profile Knives, Multi Profile Insert Tooling and More
    • Air Handling Systems
      Your Best Source for Dust and Fume Collection
    • KCD Software
      Powerful 3D Cabinet/Closet Design Software with Built-In Touchscreen Mode for Mobile Use with Best Production Practices Including Direct to Cut List, Cabinotch and/or CNC Machining
    • Denray Machine
      Quality Dust Filtration Systems Provided by an Industry Leader in Wood, Metal, and Many Other Dust Control Applications
    • TotalFinishingSUPPLIES.com
      Solutions and supplies from spray tips to spray booths for all your woodworking needs
    • MachineryMax
      New and Used Machinery for the Professional Woodworker
    • Simantech
      New & Used Machinery, Supplies, Tooling, Parts, and Abrasive Products
    • Industrial CNC
      Affordable, Easy, Industrial Grade CNC Routers for Woodworking and Cabinetmaking - Free Lifetime Support
    • Excel Dowel and Wood Products Inc.
      Plain and Pre-glued Dowel Pins, and Wood Parts - Servicing Small Hobby Shops to Large OEM's
    • Western Dovetail
      Custom Made Dovetail Drawers
    • Felder USA
      High Quality Woodworking Machines and Tools
    • Holz-Her US Inc.
      Custom Edgebanders, Vertical Panel Saws, CNC Beam Saws, Wide Belt Sanders, CNC Point to Point Boring Machines, CNC Routers
    • Scarlett Machinery Inc.
      New and Used CNC Routers and Used Woodworking Machinery, for Operations Ranging From Small Woodworking Shops to Large Progressive Manufacturing Plants

Become a Sponsor today!