Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

5 piece cabinet door screw up

10/18/22       
Scorr

So I screwed up 3 drawer fronts, they have 3 inch wide stiles, I made them a 1/4 inch to short. I was wondering if anyone has any quick fixes. I was thinking of just cutting an inch off each end and adding a wider piece on each end.
The doors are paint grade.
Maybe it is just as quick to make new ones.
So frustrated with myself.

10/18/22       #2: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Leo G Member

Sucks.

Make them again.

10/19/22       #3: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
mike

every time i mess up like that i have found it would have been easier to re-make than to cobble it back together. just my 2 cents worth.

10/20/22       #4: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

Another vote for just remake them. Not a big deal

10/21/22       #5: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Scott

Easy for you to say Karl, I saw you build a door, you are a finely tuned machine. Maybe Leo and Mike are as well. :)

10/21/22       #6: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Eddie

The time you spend typing this post, you could've done new ones already! move on, next.

10/21/22       #7: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Leo G Member

Well some of us have 3 shapers to do the setups really easy. I do myself and making new parts is pretty easy, still takes time and it sucks when you have to remake something.

If you only have one shaper and have to redo the setups each time it's much more of a hassle.

Which is why after a couple of times doing that I bought more shapers.

10/22/22       #8: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

We all started with one shaper. Then made improvements.

Screwing up is good training to not screw up, and it makes you realize how critical efficiency is. You only got paid to make a door once, squeezing every grain of waste out you can is what promotes better profit.

10/23/22       #9: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Bruce H

If you have only one shaper, it can be set up so that changes between cope and stick can be done without spindle or fence changes. I have a half dozen shapers plus one I make odd doors with. I take the bits on an off, don't change the spindle height but do move the fence if the set is a different diameter. Returning the fence to the original setting is done using a spacer from the T slot. Not that hard to make only one door.

10/24/22       #10: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Scott

Thanks for all the help, I have a couple shapers, a shape and sand and a double end cope machine so it shouldn’t take long to make new ones.

It is more the thought of it, kind of like when you put some cash in your pocket and lose it. You are kind of moping around, wondering where it is and hoping you find it. That is the same feeling I had with these rebuilds, moping around hoping some of you might have a better and quicker way.

Thanks everyone, have a fantastic week.

10/24/22       #11: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Leo G Member

I screwed up the height of some doors that wouldn't allow the pullouts to function with the tall printer on it. I had to remake 8 of the 11 doors on this one cabinet. They were already painted and installed.

So I feel your pain.

Have you remade them yet?

10/24/22       #12: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

I had new guy, and a good sized job. About 200 paneled doors and drawer fronts.

They didn't get glued properly. They all went in the dumpster.

That was a bag of suck.

10/24/22       #13: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Leo G Member

You win.

That really must have hurt.

10/25/22       #14: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

I don't know if "Win" is accurate. Felt like a loss to me.... LOL

10/25/22       #15: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Leo G Member

Ya, should have put the /S after that to notify my sarcasm.

10/25/22       #16: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

It's the cost of doing business. Some times, things go wrong. Some times, it's really expensive to right the wrong. But, way better I caught it in the shop while the doors were still sitting on a cart assembled rather than after they had been sized, bored, finish sanded, painted, and hung in the house. That would've been expensive beyond financially. Loosing face with an account can be difficult to remediate. Bad product caught in the shop is a problem. Bad product caught in the field is an absolute nightmare.

That stuff used to REALLY make me angry. Then I learned to get better at my job, and to also accept that I am human. As much as I want to be a robot and be doing things perfectly, that is not a realistic expectation. An extreme minority of people are capable of that, I ain't one of them. Sometimes I screw up, and sometimes my guys do. Most of our employees are not capable of operating the way that the we as employers do. We see things differently, we interact with them differently. Most of us are driven to succeed, (or at least not fail), and obsessed with what we do. Probably to our own detriment.

10/25/22       #17: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Leo G Member

I make my own drawers. Had a small cabinet that needed 2. I made them at the beginning of the job and sprayed them. Knowing by the time I finished with the cabinets all the stink of the finish would be gone. Ready to put the drawers in and oops, 1/2" too wide. Didn't even have to try the 2nd one because I already knew - it was the same size.

Remade it, yelling at my self the whole time. It happens. Only good that came out of it was I forgot to put my laser logo on the drawer the 1st time around. I got it on the 2nd time.

We do it nice because we do it twice.

Funny, but it's not.

10/25/22       #18: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
duster

Long ago, I lost count of the doors and drawer fronts that got screwed up. It's frustrating to lose the time and materials to remake stuff. 90%of the time, it was my fault. Usually, it's a math error or I was distracted and didn't pay enough attention to my own cut lists.

Now I check the fit of all doors & drawer fronts before sanding, routing, and especially finishing. There's nothing worse than paying your finisher for a beautiful multi step finish on a batch of
doors & drawer fronts destined for the dumpster...

10/31/22       #19: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Adam

We all make mistakes. It's really easy on doors & drawers. Hard to fake or hide your mistake. When we all start out we keep all of the screwups. Figuring we will use the doors for a shop storage cabinet or the like.

Overtime, I realized that is probably the worst thing to do with your mistakes. Cut the thing up and throw it in the garbage. Never to be seen again. Otherwise you will continue to beat your self up every time you see that door.

I used to take it one step further. I would cut them up and burn them as kindling.

11/1/22       #20: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Jim Herron

Cheaper to just remake them
If you want to REALLY feel the need to lose money, store the rejects for a few months before tossing them in the dumpster...on the infinitesimal chance you'll get a call for a cabinet in the next couple of weeks that they will fit perfectly...

11/1/22       #21: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Leo G Member

That's exactly why I have a bathroom vanity. And then after I built the vanity because of oops doors I was forced to built a large upper cabinet above the vanity.

I should have just tossed them.

11/1/22       #22: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

I bet almost all of us have something we made because we made some doors wrong.
I didn't measure a ceiling correctly and had some wall cabinets that went from counter to ceiling. Wrong measurement = no fit.
They've sat around the shop for over a year. I'm finally building myself a new TV stand, and those mistake cabs will book end the tv.
I might still pitch them.
11/1/22       #23: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Adam

Karl,

Every tv commercial will give you the opportunity to give yourself a hard time for the first mistake and also the compromise in the tv cabinet design to make the doors work.

Read my first post and throw them out asap.

11/3/22       #24: 5 piece cabinet door screw up ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

You're probably not wrong. They are just going to be sitting on top of a waterfall top. If I want to remake those two cabinets, it won't be the end of the world to do so. They'll be pretty independent of the bottom section.

Walnut for the top and open section. I've got a partial sheet of Fir laying around I'll use for the doors, that will just end up in the dumpster if I don't use it for something. I think the Fir and Walnut will go together real nicely.

Fir cabinets sitting on top would look nice too I bet.

View higher quality, full size image (1712 X 1712)

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • Vexor Custom Woodworking Tools, Inc.
      Custom and Standard Router Bits, Shaper Cutters, Profile Knives, Multi Profile Insert Tooling and More
    • Air Handling Systems
      Your Best Source for Dust and Fume Collection
    • KCD Software
      Powerful 3D Cabinet/Closet Design Software with Built-In Touchscreen Mode for Mobile Use with Best Production Practices Including Direct to Cut List, Cabinotch and/or CNC Machining
    • Denray Machine
      Quality Dust Filtration Systems Provided by an Industry Leader in Wood, Metal, and Many Other Dust Control Applications
    • TotalFinishingSUPPLIES.com
      Solutions and supplies from spray tips to spray booths for all your woodworking needs
    • MachineryMax
      New and Used Machinery for the Professional Woodworker
    • Simantech
      New & Used Machinery, Supplies, Tooling, Parts, and Abrasive Products
    • Industrial CNC
      Affordable, Easy, Industrial Grade CNC Routers for Woodworking and Cabinetmaking - Free Lifetime Support
    • Excel Dowel and Wood Products Inc.
      Plain and Pre-glued Dowel Pins, and Wood Parts - Servicing Small Hobby Shops to Large OEM's
    • Western Dovetail
      Custom Made Dovetail Drawers
    • Felder USA
      High Quality Woodworking Machines and Tools
    • Holz-Her US Inc.
      Custom Edgebanders, Vertical Panel Saws, CNC Beam Saws, Wide Belt Sanders, CNC Point to Point Boring Machines, CNC Routers
    • Scarlett Machinery Inc.
      New and Used CNC Routers and Used Woodworking Machinery, for Operations Ranging From Small Woodworking Shops to Large Progressive Manufacturing Plants

Become a Sponsor today!