CNC

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

MDF Door- Square Corner problem

3/16/21       
Richard

Hello All,

I have been setting up an MDF door with a beveled profile on the inside of the rails. I am having trouble with the square corners. The tool is a 140 deg. included angle carbide insert that comes to a point. I am using Enroute for the CAM side of things and it automatically calculates the 2 passes required to reach the depth I am going & the corner operation based on the tool geometry. However the 2 passes on the rail don't seem to line up and it's cutting too much into the corner.

My first instinct is that there is a discrepancy between the tool and the DXF supplied to me by the tool company. But they assure me that is not the case. I have back plotted the code into CAD and verified it that way and it seems the code is good. The guys at Enroute suspect the tool as well. I have made a number of programs using different geometry for the tool, different angles & flat on the bottom instead of a point. Some are better than others but so far none is perfect.

I am disinclined to think that the CNC is th problem as if it was i don't think that it would be so consistent on all corners & edges. But nonetheless Thursday I am going to take the tool to another shop and test it there as well.

I have uploaded a couple of pics. The worst looking one is using the geometry provided by the tool company. The better looking one I made some adjustments to the geometry.

I am kind of stuck in the middle here and not really sure what is causing the problem. But I can see it will be up to me to resolve it!

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Thank you

View higher quality, full size image (1965 X 2620)

View higher quality, full size image (1754 X 2339)

3/17/21       #2: MDF Door- Square Corner problem ...
Michael Folan Member

Any time that happened to me albeit in Aspire it was the angle supplied with the tool was wrong so to dial it in I would tell Aspire it was 139degrees, 139.25 degrees, 139.5 degrees in .25 degree increments up to 141 degrees. I would draw 150mm square panels and run the program till I got it right. Then I'd scribe the correct angle on the tool for further set ups

3/17/21       #3: MDF Door- Square Corner problem ...
Tom Gardiner

Z height calibration is critical for V bits. Also have a look at the tip with a magnifying glass to see if there is a flat or damage. Adjust the bit profile in the software or change inserts.

3/19/21       #5: MDF Door- Square Corner problem ...
Richard

Thanks for you replies.

I have managed to get a little further with this.

Firstly I took the tool to another shop and got the same result. So I assumed that the tool was the issue as suspected.

However after running more test pieces at different angles I couldn't get anything decent and the tool company were quite sure that the insert was good. So I removed and reinstalled the insert. I am now getting much better results on the rail where the 2 passes overlap.

Where I still have a problem is the corners. I have noticed quite an improvement when reducing the speed of the corner operation. So I suspect maybe there is an issue with that. Possibly the 3 axis move just requires more power. What speeds would you run this operation at? The tool is a single wing, 1" diameter, carbide insert.

Also is anyone familiar with any parameters on the CNC that may effect the motion on these 3 axis moves? The control is a Syntec 6MB.

Thanks for all the help

3/20/21       #6: MDF Door- Square Corner problem ...
Thomas Gardiner

I have run an Amana 1.25" dia single flute 90 degree bit at 12000 and 150 in/min in Mdf. I got fair results doing mitre folds with two passes.
With the corner clean up passes are they small, incremental vectors as the tip of the bit rises up the inside corner? if so, the cnc will never reach the programmed feedrate because it will be subject to acceleration/deceleration.

3/20/21       #7: MDF Door- Square Corner problem ...
Richard

Thanks Thomas.

I have found that I am able to get significantly better results by setting the speed very low, 10 IPM @ 12000 RPM! Obviously I am running the tool at a a lot faster speed initially so as not to burn it out. Then I am coming back to do the corners at the slower speed.

I understand what you are saying about the tool never reaching the programmed speed on those small moves. But nonetheless reducing the speed is making a huge difference. The CNC tech has suggested that when it's making these 3 axis moves it draws a lot of power and if the voltage is low it may not get distributed to the drives equally.

My next challenge is that in order to clean the corners automatically using Enroute I have to use a 3D Engrave strategy. This strategy doesn't allow you to set a different speed for the corner clean up so it has to travel all the way around the door at 10 IPM. I did quick calculation on a 30"x15" door and figure out would be around 7 minutes just to clean up those corners! Ideally would be able to set a speed just for 3D movement. I will contact Enroute and see if that's possible. If not am wondering if I can create a 3D Engrave strategy from open geometry. If so I can create an L-shape in each corner and then I wouldn't have to run all the way around the door at 10 IPM.

We'll see how it goes!

3/22/21       #8: MDF Door- Square Corner problem ...
Tom Gardiner

That's painfully slow. Can you manipulate the drawing to block out the corners as boundaries for the prismatic cut then run the rest at a faster pace?

3/22/21       #9: MDF Door- Square Corner problem ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

120ipm, 16k rpm. Amana 60* insert tool

Mozaik generating the file.

I don't think it's a feed issue? 10ipm is crazy slow. I think it's a geometry issue. And like others have said, on a short line like that, It's not getting up to full travel speed.

I take the perimeter with a 1/2" down, 1/4" down, 1/8" down, the angle tool. Take out the pockets. Cut out the door.

View higher quality, full size image (4032 X 1908)

3/22/21       #10: MDF Door- Square Corner problem ...
Richard

Hi Karl,

I am fairly confident that I have eliminated any issues with the geometry. I am running 2 passes to get the width of profile required and they are coming out fine on the rails. The only problem left is in the corner. If I run it at 40IPM it's not leaving an acceptable result.

Initially I had the same thought as you, there's no way the CNC will reach that speed and so it's not a relevant factor. Nonetheless when. I slow it way down it using an identical geometry it yields good results.

Right now I am trying to find out from Syntec if there are any parameters in the control that affect the 3 axis motions. And on the other end I am talking with Enroute to see if there's anything we can do to reduce the feed only on the 3 axis moves.

Tom, I can't figure out a way to automate cutting only the prismatic toolpath at a different feed rate from the rest.

I think my next step is to post on a site with more Syntec users and see if anyone there has any insight. I will let you know what I discover.

3/30/21       #11: MDF Door- Square Corner problem ...
yaakov

first question ,is that same problem exactly on all 4 corner?
second: do you have air compesntion cylinder to assist z? if so try reduce the pressure
third: is accl dccl in all 3 axiss are same?
4: there the loop gain parameters in the driver(if its yaskawa its 101,102,103 cheack the value in the 3 axiss and send here
goodluck

4/6/21       #12: MDF Door- Square Corner problem ...
BH Davis  Member

Have you reached a resolution to this problem?

BH Davis

4/6/21       #13: MDF Door- Square Corner problem ...
Richard

Hello All,

Thanks for all the input thus far. I just wanted to give you an update.

I spoke with Syntec and they were pretty helpful. They took a look at a backup of the CNC parameters and suggested reducing the acceleration parameter. By default it's set to 400MS and they told me they have seen machines reduce it to 1500 it 2000. I have experimented a bit and found that reducing it to 2500MS I could get an acceptable corner at a reasonable overall feedrate. Does anyone else have an idea of what acceleration their CNC is set to? Just curious if I am too far out of normal range. My main concern is if it starts to impact other types of operations or increase over all cycle time. I think it should be ok for MDF doors as most of the cutting segments will be long enough to allow the CNC to reach the programmed feedrate.

I have also purchased custom inserts that will allow me to cut the full width of the bevel in 1 pass (I may do 2 passes in the depth but in the same X/Y location) which should eliminate any issues on the rail. I am able to do this because it turns out the customer rarely uses raised panel doors so the larger diameter won't be an issue.

I didn't have any success with getting Enroute to set a separate feedrate for the Z axis moves but I thought that was a bit of a longshot.

In answer to Yakov, yes all 4 corners are consistent. I can look into air pressure on the Z axis. I know it is on a slide so the head drops down on an air cylinder before cutting.

I have received the inserts and will be running more tests on Thursday. I will update you with my findings.

Thanks again.

Richard

4/7/21       #14: MDF Door- Square Corner problem ...
BH Davis  Member

A couple points.

First, in Enroute, if I am understanding you correctly, you can set a separate feed rate for Z as vs. X and Y.

SETUP, MACHINE SETUP, DRIVER SPEEDS. The Z-axis feed rate is controlled by the default PLUNGE rate. This is FEED rate though, not ACCELERATION rate.

Second point is that with my old CNT Motion router using WinCNC control software I was able to create an onscreen button in WinCNC that temporarily changed acceleration. I created two custom buttons, one to go to a lower acceleration rate and another to bring it back up to normal. We used the lower acceleration for 3D carving work to make the machine move more smoothly on rapid short distance cuts. Pressing the button changed the rate and popped up a note to restart the software with the new rate.

The lower acceleration rate held in effect until the higher acceleration rate button was pushed. As such we always put a post it note on the screen to remind us to reset the rate when the project was complete.

By far the largest issue for us was the acceleration and X and Y. Z was set to move so slowly by comparison that acceleration was not an issue. So if you want to try seeing if lower feed and acceleration rates are going to help I'd suggest temporarily lowering acceleration and perhaps also Z-axis feed rate.

BH Davis

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors
    • Carter Products
      Band Saw Guides, Blades, Wheels, Tires, Line Lasers and 2D Projectors, Wide Belt Sanding Accessories, Vacuum Holding Systems and More
    • ULTI-BOARD
      The Ultimate Spoilboard - ULTI-BOARD - Specifically Engineered and Formulated for the Ultimate in Spoilboard Performance - Not Your Ordinary Sheet of MDF.
    • Biesse America
      Woodworking Machinery - Machining Centers, Edge Banders, Feeders/Stackers, Panel Sizing Centers
    • Template Services
      Professional Moulding Design and Template Making Service
    • T-Tool USA LLC
      Quality Tool-Holders, Tooling Supplies and Accessories for Numerous Cutting and Grinding Applications
    • MARTIN Woodworking Machines Corp.
      Quality Woodworking Machinery Engineered and Manufactured in Germany
    • Industrial CNC
      Affordable, Easy, Industrial Grade CNC Routers for Woodworking and Cabinetmaking - Free Lifetime Support
    • American National Knife
      Manufacturer of HSS and Carbide Tipped Woodworking Knife Sets for Planers, Jointers, Molders, Shapers
    • Thermwood Corporation
      Computer Numerical Control (CNC) Routers and Accessories
    • Limtech Industries, Inc.
      CNC Routers, Machinery for Woodworking, Plastic and Other Non-ferrous Metal Machining Applications
    • Mereen-Johnson Machine Company
      Manufacturers of High Production Woodworking Machinery
    • Palmetto Cabinet Doors
      Supplier of Quality MDF Cabinet Doors
    • 360 Degree Machinery
      Specializing in high end American, European, and select Import woodworking machines.

Become a Sponsor today!