Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Dye Color Before black

6/20/20       
Pascal

Hello,

I am trying to stain wood black (but not a complete ebonizing). On light wood such a birch it's very easy. On other woods like oak or ash well it's black but as soon as light hits it… it's more like a grey, Brown green, red. I know stain are affected by the wood color but this is just ugly.

I have already tried dying the wood black Under the black pigment stain if I put enough dye to make the wood black i get completly ebony by the time the pigment stain is applied. If I Apply the dye just a little bit I get hue of the base color of the black (green, red or blue) Under the pigment stain. I also use toner over the wood but toner won't turn a bad stain job into a masterpiece.

I am starting to look into very light dye stain color to even the wood that I could spray without darkening the wood. Like a yellow that could even the color everywhere then apply the black pigmented stain.

There must be hundreds of possibilities but if someone have already tried Something similar this could speed up my expérimentations

6/20/20       #2: Dye Color Before black ...
pascal stgelais

for a refrence I have added a pic of a test piece I made. I have tried different light but cell phone pics arent the best.

Anyways the dark side was died with a VERY light jet black dye.

Then the wood is wiped with a damp cloth to even the dye and open the pore for the wiping stain.

black pigment stain is applied.

the first cv coat has black pigment added
the last 2 have the same jet black dye added to them.

applying the dye darker make the wood more black and less of its natural color wich is a good thing but it also darken the wood to the point where the grain isnt showing anymore. especially after applying the wiping stain.

This has led me to thinks about using light dye colors such as yellow, light brown etc. as mentionned previously. in order to give me a uniform light base color. Do you guy have experience is thia kind of combination?

It seems like I have no problem staining colors that are brown tones but black always seems to give me problem except maybe on white and yellow birch.

6/20/20       #3: Dye Color Before black ...
pascal stgelais

View higher quality, full size image (1846 X 2708)

6/20/20       #4: Dye Color Before black ...
pascal stgelais

View higher quality, full size image (2625 X 1560)

6/20/20       #5: Dye Color Before black ...
pascal stgelais

View higher quality, full size image (1677 X 2981)

6/20/20       #6: Dye Color Before black ...
rich c.

Stop wiping it with a wet cloth would be my first suggestion. Flood the surface with dye, then very lightly wipe with a dry cloth. Wiping with a wet cloth will absolutely change the color.

6/20/20       #7: Dye Color Before black ...
rich c.

Also try lightly wiping down the first coat of dye with a cloth, and then spray a second coat and don't touch it.

6/20/20       #8: Dye Color Before black ...
pascal stgelais

i know the wet cloth make the pigment stain darken but its on purpose since I tried staining with wiping stain after filling with timbermate and sanding to 150 grit and the stain act like if the wood was sealed( it was wiped off completly). Even with fresh sandpaper ash did not take the stain unless it was water based(day night difference).

As for dye I spray them what you would call dry. I am willing to try you spraying method wich is flooding the surface but wont I go back to square one (the dye making my wood almost black opaque)?

6/21/20       #9: Dye Color Before black ...
John Member

I did this white oak with Sherwin Williams BAC Wiping Stain, one of their stock colors that we then tinted several times to get the color I wanted. If this is close to what you are after its a pretty easy process. BAC Wiping Stain has both dyes and pigment in it. It's often used over a base dye, as you suggested, but it can be applied directly to raw wood, too, as I did.

John

6/21/20       #10: Dye Color Before black ...
John Member

OK, let's try the picture again

6/21/20       #11: Dye Color Before black ...
John Member

maybe now

View higher quality, full size image (1600 X 1200)

6/21/20       #12: Dye Color Before black ...
Pascal

Now john this is a great job.

on the dye base when you do a black job like this does your dye is necessarily black also or do you often use a lighter color before going for the black stain?

6/21/20       #13: Dye Color Before black ...
John Member

Not sure I understand your question, Pascal.
The BAC Wiping Stain I used was a mix of Midnight Black plus a custom blend, to which I added some dark walnut and red dye. It was really dark, but not black. I can look up the exact recipe from my project notes if you want.

The panels were sanded to about 150 grit, vacuumed off, and then I brushed the dust out of the grain with a brass brush, and then vacuumed again. I found this to be really important to preserve the rift sawn grain definition.
I applied the stain with a foam brush and wiped it off as soon as I had the panel coated.

John .

6/22/20       #14: Dye Color Before black ...
pascal stgelais

well my question is wich color of dye would you spray before my black wiping stain..

right now im doind black on black the the dye stain is making it almost opaque. but the wiping stain alone is too light and the wood stays brownish green.

is it possible to spray like a yellow dye stain to even the color to a more neutral color. on even a light brown. or are most black finish made with black on black

6/22/20       #15: Dye Color Before black ...
John Member

No idea, Pascal. But I would think black on black is the right approach. If it's too dark then I would try adding thinner to the dye. I suspect it's going to go more towards green if you start with yellow dye. I'd be looking at brown or black, maybe with some red added to counteract the green, but the only way to know is to make samples.

John

8/26/20       #16: Dye Color Before black ...
Gary Member

Are you looking for something like this?

View higher quality, full size image (4032 X 3024)

8/27/20       #17: Dye Color Before black ...
Pascal

well this is certainly a nice black that would satisfy me

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors
    • Simantech
      New & Used Machinery, Supplies, Tooling, Parts, and Abrasive Products
    • TotalFinishingSUPPLIES.com
      Solutions and supplies from spray tips to spray booths for all your woodworking needs
    • Supergrit Abrasives
      Industrial Quality Abrasives Manufactured by Leading US and Foreign Companies
    • Unique Machine & Tool
      Industrial Machinery for Door and Drawer Production
    • EX-FACTORY INC.
      Offering New & Used Woodworking Machinery including Auctions & Liquidations
    • Carter Products
      Band Saw Guides, Blades, Wheels, Tires, Line Lasers and 2D Projectors, Wide Belt Sanding Accessories, Vacuum Holding Systems and More
    • SAMES North America Corporation
      Precision Spraying Solutions From Pumps To Complete Application Systems-Design and Manufacture of Process Equipment Including Airspray, Airmix, Airless, Rexson Dispense, Electrostatic and Powder Coat

Become a Sponsor today!