Sawing and Drying

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

sawing a solid black walnut mantle

4/6/22       
lumberjacktim Member

I’m getting ready to saw up a 10x6 solid black walnut mantle out of a log. The log isn’t the biggest, maybe 13” diameter at small end. Advice on including the pith in the finished pc. centered? offset to one side? or try my darndest to “not” have the pith in the 6x10 cut?
Also, I am in TN and will be getting it kiln dried, then traveling to Ohio with it for installation in a house that is under construction. Do I need to worry about it’s moisture content raising back up during the trip? what about while in house during construction? Thanks!
4/7/22       #2: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
MarkB

Just my personal opinion but eliminating the pith is going to be your most stable solution unless the customer is well informed that the timber will be heavily split and or twisted badly (heavy emphasis on AND because both will be the outcome if the pith is in the blank or even worse centered).

You realize that just air drying that timber to get it to a point where it is anywhere close to being able to go into a kiln is an extremely long process (several months at best) and kiln drying (unless you have access to a vacuum kiln) is an equally long process.

A lot will depend on what the customer is expecting out of the piece. If its suppose to be relatively clean and free of checking/cracking/twisting they may be in for a surprise. If they are totally ok with heavy splitting/checking over time you could likely skip the KD all together.

Big, clean, pretty, KD timbers are outrageously expensive for a reason. The time and care in drying is massive.

4/7/22       #3: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
lumberjacktim Member

Yea, unfortunately i have no experience with this other than with pine and hemlock which I have cut many timbers with a centered pith and they remained dead straight a year later. I talked to the owner of the sawmill and kiln that I will be taking it to, a well known “old timer” in the area and he actually told me to center the pith on the 6x10. I guess i’m going to try that as well as one with no pith in it at all and will find out in 45 days!

4/7/22       #4: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
MarkB

Please do the forum a favor and post photos of the cants sawn prior to the kiln and then after. It would be very interesting to see. Good luck.

4/8/22       #5: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
lumberjacktim Member

Yea, unfortunately i have no experience with this other than with pine and hemlock which I have cut many timbers with a centered pith and they remained dead straight a year later. I talked to the owner of the sawmill and kiln that I will be taking it to, a well known “old timer” in the area and he actually told me to center the pith on the 6x10. I guess i’m going to try that as well as one with no pith in it at all and will find out in 45 days!

4/8/22       #6: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
RichC

First off, who has a kiln that you can do a 10x6 in what is basically a juvenile tree? It will need to be air dried for a couple years before going into a conventional kiln. The only way to kiln dry that with no degrade is a vacuum kiln. You are going to have sapwood on the corners and that will absolutely crack if the log was cut recently. Sap has been flowing for a while and that sapwood will be basically saturated. It'll definitely going to crack the pith if you use something besides a vacuum kiln and likely twist pretty severely. Same happens if you try to get the pith near the edge, but no idea how you get a 10" board out of a 13" log with having the pith in the middle. You need to buy a bigger log and tell the customer to put something up temporarily for a couple years if you can't find a vacuum kiln operator.

4/8/22       #7: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
lumberjacktim Member

I sometimes wonder if people responding to posts are basing their opinions on “what someone told them” vs. having operated a sawmill, operated a kiln, or operated a planing mill themselves, and cut down the trees, bucked the logs, and sawed the logs themselves. It also amazes me that I have an 80 year old guy running this sawmill and kiln telling me exactly how to cut the mantle, a guy that’s been doing this type of work for longer than anyone on here has been alive, but yet they still want to argue with what is being said. I don’t know the exact dimension of the small end of the log(was guessing 13 to 14”) but I was able to get a 6x10 solid pc. out of it.(picture attached) It is now in the kiln. I will post a pic of it when it is down to 6 to 8% moisture content.

View higher quality, full size image (4032 X 3024)

4/8/22       #8: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
lumberjacktim Member

more pics….

4/9/22       #9: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
MarkB

Nice cant.

I owned a portable band mill and had a small kiln for approximately 20 years. 115 acres of property and sawing for others. Everything from felling to skidding in with 4wd tractor/loader, sawing, stickering, drying, and building custom cabinetry, moulding packages, etc.. Prior to that experience around large circle mills both single and twin blade sawing a lot of large/wide pine and so on.

What Rich is saying is relatively true. Your guy may be talking air drying for a short time to lose some surface moisture then into the kiln til the outer shell measures 6-8% but to take a 6" thick cant to 6-8% through the entire cant is a pretty lengthy process with an conventional kiln. The vacuum kilns are another story and I have no experience with them other than what Ive read and seen on YouTube but the speed and degrade is greatly reduced and thicker material is more manageable.

As you likely already know, that check in the end will likely wind up being a big check along with others. No biggie if the customer is fine with it. Its a mantle after all. Your only issue if its not completely dry is future movement and some would say bugs but Walnut is a lesser bug prone wood anyway.

Heck, timberframes are fab'd and put up basically green for ages. Lots of shrinkage, homeowners live in a house that sounds like cannon fire as they dry out, but it works.

Good luck, looks good from here, keep us posted.

4/9/22       #10: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
MarkB

PS, If you havent tried them, take a look at the Ripper blades from Jerry's re-sharp (no affiliation) I had started using them just before selling my mill and they were pretty impressive. Only gripe was I liked 1" pitch and at that time they were only available in 7/8" pitch but they were very nice blades. English steel I believe. Cost effective. I still run them for resawing here at the shop on 36" 9hp vertical band saw.

4/9/22       #11: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
MarkB

Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNPXnpMKPjk

4/11/22       #12: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
Tennessee Tim Member

Lumberjacktim,
I'm confused between post #1 and post #7. The responses you got were what "normally" happens in the law of averages of probably 85% of the time IN hardwoods. Pine and hemlock are of the softwood family and from my studies and correspondings those are more favorable in "average" timberframing and log homes due to their lightness in wieght (compared to hardwoods) and stabilities during drying BUT for the record the log home and some timberframe places claim a kiln dried log which is a true/false loaded statement. YES they are put in a kiln and the outside is brought down to "XYZ" specs and sterilized (debugged) BUT center IS NOT MC% correct due to the time and costs (from my understandings to kiln schedule proper, thorough, true complete drying in timbers that size without vacuum requires MONTHS).

One mentioned juvenile aged wood and he is correct. It may be a marketable size tree BUT has greater drying stresses than older larger trees.

I have also logged, sawn, kiln dried and also AD'd. I've studied reactions and expectations of our common hardwoods. Even done some comparisons of who, what and why between our todays wood reactions to our past (100+ year old growth).

I'm NOT telling you this 80 yr old sawyer doesn't know a unknown to most valuable knowledge BUT am saying the law of average with pith in is NOT in your favor. I have several AD'd 4-6" pith in "mantles" that mother nature checked heavily or split. THAT doesn't bother me as I know the chances of it happening in the drying process.

Transporting your mantle.....wrap it in a kraft (brown) paper. This will allow some moisture change (IF any) BUT at a slower rate to allow wood slow rebalance (fast changes do most warps and twists once it has/had been stabilized in a kiln/AD'd) and also leave it a week or 2 wrapped in the new home so it can re-adjust slowly to the new enviroment. True Big timber mantles are beautiful BUT most DO NOT understand the risks in/of drying.

Please do not be upset with the others posts as you asked for advise and theirs is correct by the law of averages. I do wish you the best with this project and keep us posted. do me a favor, once the mantle is out (which should be too long in length, when you cut it off take a meter and check center of log/timber and outside of both ends for my studies/comparisons.

Thanks,
Tim

4/13/22       #13: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
RichC

For your information, I owned a Baker/Enercraft manual sawmill and have been harvesting turning blanks from logs for 30 years.

4/13/22       #14: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
RichC

And I'm 70 years old.

4/13/22       #15: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
lumberjacktim Member

you gotta respect them old timers!

4/13/22       #16: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
lumberjacktim Member

Rich,

Is there a market for selling turning blanks? I seem to have quite a few laying around from my logging operations.

Tim

4/13/22       #17: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
RichC

Woodturners are extremely frugal! A lot of them have an arborist or two that supplies them just to get rid of timber. There is a market for the rare and unusual. Box Elder with lots of red sells really well, burls of course, and really just any highly figured wood. But just common hardwoods are a difficult sell.

4/14/22       #18: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
lumberjacktim Member

Rich,

Is there a market for selling turning blanks? I seem to have quite a few laying around from my logging operations.

Tim

4/14/22       #19: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
lumberjacktim Member

strange how this site keeps reposting my posts…..anyway, some cool wood discovered recently…..first pic is actually white oak(after standing dead for 10 years), 2nd is poplar(the infamous rainbow poplar), and the third white pine.

4/14/22       #20: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
MarkB

Its fun to watch the wild colors as poplar oxidizes as it hits the air.

4/14/22       #21: sawing a solid black walnut mantle ...
RichC

Tim, I have found a little niche market, but am reluctant to go into details as it is incredibly competitive. It's certainly not high profit, and shipping costs are incredibly expensive. I am going to a regional woodturning symposium next week with a van load of blanks. It was a great event in 2019. Lots of people told me my prices were too low, but my main goal was to reduce inventory. At 70 now, my wife and kids (45, 41 year old kids) are getting that look in their eyes when they see my inventory. Our son comments that, "if that place ever burns, they will see it from space". So at this stage of life, any profit is better than an estate sale price. Use the link to find turning clubs near your location.

https://woodturner.org

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors
    • Rose Machinery
      Horizontal Band Re-rips, Standard & Custom Designed Machinery
    • Carter Products
      Band Saw Guides, Blades, Wheels, Tires, Line Lasers and 2D Projectors, Wide Belt Sanding Accessories, Vacuum Holding Systems and More
    • Baker Products
      Industrial Woodworking Machines, Wooden Pallet Manufacturing Machines, & Portable Sawmills
    • Forestry.com
      Forestry.com is a specialized platform with educational content and equipment for Loggers and Foresters

Become a Sponsor today!