Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Finishing time for topocoats

5/15/18       
Dave Edgerton

A question for those who do manual spraying as I do.
Do you find it takes you longer to do a pigmented finish on a door or a stain and clear coat?
Lets consider its a spray only stain where you have to do 3 passes and a sealer and clear top coat.
The pigmented lets say its primer and 2 topcoats.
Now from a business perspective which finish style would you say costs more per square foot ready to go out the door. Remember, cost, which includes o/h and labour and finish materials.

5/15/18       #2: Finishing time for topocoats ...
Leo G Member

Stain and 2 squirts compared to 2 prime and 2 topcoats.

Stain is faster, but stain needs nice, usually more expensive materials. And usually work to select matching colors.

Paint needs cheaper materials (soft maple/MDF panels) and there is no sorting for color, no need to have swirl free sanding.

Over all I think staining is quicker and usually cheaper (material dependent) but usually I call it a bust between paint and stain. Adding glaze makes painting much more expensive.

5/16/18       #3: Finishing time for topocoats ...
Adam

We often do 2 prime coats 2 color coats. The first prime coat reveals all the defects. We fill & sand and reprime.

The stains we do are generally dark and are easily applied with a rag. MLC woodsong.

I usually figure it’s pretty close cost wise. Those stupid glazed rub thru jobs always take forever.

5/16/18       #4: Finishing time for topocoats ...
nick

Right upfront I charge 20% more for paint then stain & clear.For paint; it's standard practice in my neck of the woods to caulk in the panels, material is more because if you need a gallon and a quart that means you're buying 2 gallons plus there is the extra prep filling and sanding inperfections between prime coats. In my shop; Paint is 2 prime, 2 finish. Stain is stain , 3 clear.
Plus 99 times out of 100 on the paint jobs I make 2 trips out to the job to caulk the cabs to the walls & ceiling and touch-up. This is a added charge that I usually do T&M.

5/18/18       #5: Finishing time for topocoats ...
Bob Niemeyer  Member

Prime and Paint is always more work and more time. 20% minimum upcharge from clears. I like to use PU for painted unglazed jobs if a kitchen. I always use PU primer even under CV. I am going to push the upcharge to 25-30% from clear on the next paint job.
I think I can speak for most of us self employed people here, We work to make a profit, not just pay the bills.

5/18/18       #6: Finishing time for topocoats ...
Jim Conklin  Member

On tight grained wood, pigmented comes in ahead by the time spent staining. Easier at prep too - just fill defects with whatever at hand without worrying that the fill will grab too much stain.

Open grain with pigmented is more than stained. Poor or worn construction with pigmented is more owing to caulk and spackle for cracks, panels and joints.

Material cost apart from stock white and black is more for pigmented.

Glazing on pigmented is more than a furniture glaze over stain.

5/19/18       #7: Finishing time for topocoats ...
Adam

We use soft maple & prefinish ply for paint grade. We pocket screw everything, glue joints are perfect. We do a a relly thin prime coat(1/2coat) to high light the defects. sand it perfect. 2nd prime coat, 1st top then 2nd.

Stain grade. First the wood is more expensive oak, mahogany, cherry. Ideally you should be grain matching as you layup(more time) We try to use as much prefinished ply as possible, but we always end u having to finish some wood ply.

Sand everything perfect. all the way up to lock sanding with 180. Stain which is slower than sprayng. another careful sanding so you don't go through the stain.
I'm sticking with good painted is about the same as good stained.

Slapping something togther out of red oak. Lots of putty and slather a couple of thick coats of you favorite poly will definitely save money, but that doesn't belong on WW/

5/19/18       #8: Finishing time for topocoats ...
mastercabman Member

Any cabinet manufacturers will charge more for painting
I've seen as low as 10% up to 25%
Glazing is about 10-15% more
staining is a little more forgiving

5/22/18       #9: Finishing time for topocoats ...
Matt

I'm going to say the exact opposite of a lot of these guys here (respectfully, because they know their market/business better than I do).

In our experience, stain is a more costly process (I'm not talking about material goods, but the actual process). In the market we are in, a hand-applied stain takes time to do properly, consistently. We spray it on, wipe it off. Followed by 3 coats of clear CV (4 steps total-- stain, clear, clear, clear). You HAVE to be more gentle in sanding/scuffing or you get burned edges. Our clients do not tolerate stain colors being all over the board. Natural variation is one thing, but misapplication of stain is never tolerated.

Paint is exactly the opposite. It's brutally simple. We do 2 coats of white, one coat of clear (3 steps total- white, white, clear). So right off the bat, it's 1 step less than stain. You have far more margin of error while sanding/scuffing, and still can get a spectacular finish.

The problem most people encounter with paint is using a pathetic product. I've worked in shops using "the cheap stuff" because they were too damned mentally lazy to learn how to mix catalyst, so instead, they did a 4 or 5 coat system (primer, primer, white, white, clear).

I use a CV that is self-sealing (even in opaques) that gets my white done in 2 coats, and we top with clear. If you can't do that with yours, find one you CAN do that with.

5/22/18       #10: Finishing time for topocoats ...
mastercabman Member

Matt
Could you tell us what products do you use?
Seems to me that 3 coats of CV is a little excessive
I use MLC and was told in my class that 2 coats is plenty since CV has high solids
Stain jobs I do stain,sealer,2 top coat
Paint jobs I do primer,then 2 top coat
I rarely put clear on my pigmented top coat
If I do I only put 1 coat pigment and 1 coat clear(over primer of course)

5/25/18       #11: Finishing time for topocoats ...
Adam

I think you really need to give more specifics as to stain vs paint.

Average kitchen could be red oak with a basic simple stain plus 2 coats of cv. Not getting crazy about sanding trying to even out the end grain.

Or it could be a painted job built out of soft maple with mdf panels and regular ply. Do a decent putty fill job with a coat of primer and 2 color coats.

The other two extremes which could be double the cost would be a cherry stain job. Where you've got raised panels, frames, ply, applied moldings. It requires tons of sanding really good stain matching where you would be hand applying some and spraying multiple coats on other parts.

Or a gloss white paint job on a similar style project. The materials are the same as the first job: soft maple, mdf, regular ply. 2 coats of primer and very good final 320 grit sanding before last topcoat. Otherwise you will see the 240 grit scratches.

4 different critters. It also matters if you are just finishing or you include the wood material costs.

5/26/18       #12: Finishing time for topocoats ...
Adam

Matt,

Why do you do a clear coat? We have always done a primer then 2 tinted topcoats. The primer always you to get it dead flat & smooth.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)