Dark liquid from walnut: Toxic?

The Wood Doctor says: Stay away from this stuff! 1998.

by Professor Gene Wengert

We are treating black walnut with water vapor to make color more uniform. A very dark liquid flows out of the treating kiln. Could this liquid be injurious to environment?

Yes. Absolutely. It is quite toxic.

Professor Gene Wengert is Extension Specialist in Wood Processing at the Department of Forestry, University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Click on Wood Doctor Archives to peruse past answers.

If you would like to obtain a copy of "The Wood Doctor's Rx", visit the Wood Education and Resource Center Web site for more information.