Film Buildup on Glassware in a Cabinet Finished with Pre-Cat

It's not the finish it's soap and water buildup from wet glassware, caused by the finish being vapor-tight. December 6, 2011

Question
I have a customer that says the interior of a cabinet I sprayed ML Campbell pre-cat in is releasing a film on her glasses. This is 1 1/2 years after the job was installed. Anybody had this happen?

Forum Responses
(Finishing Forum)
From contributor L:
The coating is fully cured after about two weeks. And even if it was outgassing, it wouldn't leave a film. I suggest she clean her glasses better before she puts them away.



From contributor T:
Contributor L is correct. I had a customer several years ago ask about the same thing. We actually tried to reproduce the situation in the shop. Turns out, yes - if the glassware is placed damp or wet upside down on the interior shelf, it will produce a film. It is not the cat lac but the inability of the soap and water film to breath and dry and it will increase over time if the film and residue is not cleaned off the shelf itself. This might explain why it took so long for the problem to arise. Ask your client to clean the interior with an ammonia based house cleaner and let it air dry. Should help.


From contributor B:
What would the best acid be for pre-cat lacquers?


From contributor R:
The best acid is the one that's already mixed into the pre-cat coating. It's all done at the factory so you don't have to mix anything else into it. If you want to reduce the material, use the appropriate thinners. If you're kinda the Colombo type, I suppose you could contact the manufacturer of the coating and speak directly with one of the chemists.