The downloadable file listed at the end of this article is an Excel Speadsheet program (also available as a Microsoft Works file, but not in revised and expanded version) that can be used to automatically calculate:
- Arcs - Calculates arc length, radius, angle in rads and degrees. When any combination (2 of 3) of information is known. Chord, height, radius.
- Angles - When the length of two sides are known (simple trigonometry).
- Compound miter - Saw settings for cutting molding on various wall angles and molding slopes.
- Dual slope compound miter - Settings for a box with different slope on sides than front and back.
- Springback - Predicted springback for glue-ups.
- Ellipse geometry - Distance between foci and string length, when semi-major and semi-minor axis is known.
- Proportion - Golden mean rectangle calculator.
- Cone geometry - Calculations for flattened cone and partial cone.
The Excel file is 1.03MB in size and has images that illustrate the functions for each calculation worksheet. The Works file is 28K. Images that illustrate the functions of this program can also be viewed below.
The program was created by Paul Huntington, an architectural woodworker with 22 years experience in the Denver, CO area. Carl Stammerjohn also contributed to the springback portion of this program. Carl runs a one-man custom furniture shop in Torrance, California, and has a degree in mechanical engineering. WOODWEB would like to thank Paul for his willingness to share his program with woodworkers throughout the world, and also thank Carl for providing the added springback functionality.
An important note about safe downloading: After downloading, and before execution, all files should be fully scanned with an up to date anti-virus program. Virus detection and removal software is available at many secure locations on the Web, or can be purchased over the counter. Download software only if you are certain it is safe for your computer system. WOODWEB makes no claims, and assumes absolutely no liability, for any software listed or downloaded at this site.