CNC

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Pulled the Trigger!

8/28/14       
Stewart Member

Hi Guys,

To make a long story short, we went to Atlanta at your encouragement and found exactly what we wanted! I felt overwhelmed when I first walked in but after sifting through all the info, we pulled the trigger on a CNC. I was so excited that I could hardly sleep for a night or two afterwards (thought I was more mature than that but felt like a kid in a candy store). Anyway, I'm thinking I should change my joinery method to blind dado but eventually move toward doweling. My questions: 1. Are there any tips or modifications that I should be considering in setting up a blind dado that would make the process more efficient - such as assembly marks or accommodating pocket screws? 2. My finished ends (3/4" thickness) are also the cabinet side, so how do I get them to stay on without exposed fasteners? 3. My backs are 1/2" thickness, currently let into a rabbet - will this need to take on a different form of joinery? 4. If I eventually move to doweling, will I be able to get my cabinet faces to align (seems like I hear a lot of complaints about this) ? Again, this is for custom euro style residential cabinetry using CV with S2M. Thanks for your encouragement and help with this! Still soaking it all in!

8/28/14       #2: Pulled the Trigger! ...
james mcgrew Member

you could easily set it up to do both. you are gonna really enjoy this !!

8/28/14       #3: Pulled the Trigger! ...
james mcgrew Member

Are you the Stewart who called me, I Had a long standing real estate Lawsuit get called up on the docket for Monday and was unable to attend (we did win) but missing the IWF really Su@ked this year !

8/28/14       #4: Pulled the Trigger! ...
Stewart Member

Hi Jim,

Yes, I am that same Stewart. I was hoping to meet up but glad to hear you fared well in that lawsuit.

9/1/14       #5: Pulled the Trigger! ...
Dennis Letendre Member

Stewart,
What machine did you purchase and what swayed you to that machine?

9/2/14       #6: Pulled the Trigger! ...
Stewart Member

Dennis,

I opted to go with a New cnc - http://newcnc.com/ - smart series 2 (5 x 10) for the following reasons: 1. From everything I could see at IWF (which was a lot), it appeared to be a very well thought out and built machine - very much on par with some of the more expensive machines I was looking at. 2. It weighs in at about 10,000 lbs which, from what I was consistently told, really helps with cut quality. 3. From talking with some of their past clients, it sounds like their technical abilities and customer service are excellent - which is important to me being new at this. 4. It was in my price range. As much as I would love to say that I could spend whatever I wanted, that is definitely not me. I had a budget and stayed with it - and sleeping well, too. It is a simple three axis machine. I was worried about whether or not I should get the 4th axis but after looking at 98% of what I do, and my budget, couldn't justify the additional expense and software at this point. Somebody told me to master the three axis first and then, if there was a call for that fourth, consider upgrading at that point - seemed to make sense to me.

9/2/14       #7: Pulled the Trigger! ...
Derrek

1. Are there any tips or modifications that I should be considering in setting up a blind dado that would make the process more efficient - such as assembly marks or accommodating pocket screws? We mark the top of the back with a 5mm hole so that we always get the correct end on top. 2. My finished ends (3/4" thickness) are also the cabinet side, so how do I get them to stay on without exposed fasteners? We use Hafele Rafix fitting to secure the sides on finished ends . Work very well. We also went from doing a full top to top stretchers, much easier on materials and allows to nest better.

3. My backs are 1/2" thickness, currently let into a rabbet - will this need to take on a different form of joinery? We swithced to doing a 3/4" back with the blind dado. Virtually no difference in cost, nests in with all the other parts on the job and reduces waste, no second rack full of odd size material. No need for nailer

4. If I eventually move to doweling, will I be able to get my cabinet faces to align (seems like I hear a lot of complaints about this) ? Again, this is for custom euro style residential cabinetry using CV with S2M. You can set up 2 different construction methods in CV and do either. Once you get the blind dado set up you won't even think of doing dowels.

9/3/14       #8: Pulled the Trigger! ...
Frank D. Jimenez  Member

It's really great hearing you are going the blind dado route!! It is a really solid construction, aesthetic, and makes assembly so very easy! It is by far my favorite!

CONGRATULATIONS!

9/3/14       #9: Pulled the Trigger! ...
Stewart Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the encouragement! Derrek, that makes a lot of sense using 3/4" for your backs as well. I'm curious - how do you blind dado your backs in? On a face frame application, how would you attach your frames?

9/5/14       #10: Pulled the Trigger! ...
Frank D. Jimenez  Member

Backs are blind dadoed into the sides just the same as any other part. The tenon would be on the back while the mortise would be cut into the sides.

On face frames, the mortise would be cut into the back of the face frame while the tenon would be cut on the top, bottom, and or unfinished ends. This makes for an extremely solid cabinet. Make sure you let your customers know the strength of your cabinets because you should be able to use that as a great selling feature when bidding for a job!

9/5/14       #11: Pulled the Trigger! ...
Stewart Member

Thanks, Frank! That's very helpful. So, when you blind dado your backs in (presuming you're using a 3/4" thick back), do you split it and do a 3/8" tenon and 3/8" mortise? And, is there a need to still use an occasional staple or screw to keep the back tight and avoid minute racking? Also, do you use your cnc to mortise the back side of your face frames? Thanks for the help!

9/5/14       #12: Pulled the Trigger! ...
Frank D. Jimenez  Member

Hi Stewart,

Unfortunately, I don't make cabinets on a regular basis anymore. I and my wife own Cabinet Pro, software for Cabinet & Door manufacturers. But all day, every day, I work with some of the most gifted cabinet makers in this industry and am blessed with our customers being friends and partners a lot more than they are "customers".

Those who make face frame cabinets and blind dado their parts with their CNC machines do so quickly, efficiently, and accurately. And yes, staples are commonly used in place of clamps in order to hold the tenon of one part tightly into the mortise of another part until the glue dries.

Also, those customers who dado their tops, bottoms, and sides into the back of their face frames have their face face frames machined on their CNC. They HAVE TO, in order to ensure everything lines up correctly!! Cabinet Pro allows the speed of the spindle to be increased or decreased automatically based upon the material that is being used. So when lumber is being machined the speed of the spindle along the X-Y plane is automatically decreased in order to avoid splintering. The ROTATIONAL speed is kept high to avoid burning.

If you are using 1/4" material for backs, then there is no need for a blind dado. A full 1/4" dado will do. But if you are using 5/8" or 3/4" material, then you may want to consider a blind dado of 5/16" or 3/8" rather than a full dado.

Hope this helps.

10/12/14       #14: Pulled the Trigger! ...
John McGinnis

Hey Stewart,

I just bought a router that's coming in for delivery tomorrow. Just wondering how your installation went as well as your CV Implementation (did you go with the on line version?). Are you all up and running at this point? How has it changed your day to day operations at your shop? I'm very curious to hear about your experience. Thanks.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Suction Cups, Vacuum Lifters, Vacuum Pumps from Anver Corporation ecabinet systems.com Thermwood Limtech Industries, Inc.