Adhesives

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood Bonds?

3/14/22       
ian1012 Member

We as a result of some caution regarding the possibility of long term creep and limited mositure resistance are looking at using an epoxy for what may end up being a run of very heavy kiln dried European beech workbenches.
These would be only lightly oiled and potentially exposed to ambient air conditions - in our location average 60 - 65% RH all year with temperatures ranging from a few degreees below freezing to typically high 20s - with short term highs and lows.
The top laminations are typical - 15 no. x 40mm thick x 127 deep x 2200 long bonded 127 x 2200 face to face.
Traditional epoxies are proven not to do well with temperature and humity cycling - when the wood moves due to changes in moisture content the relatively stiff and high strength adhesive seemingly overstresses it in especially the layer adjacent to the bondline.
Boat applications for example usually recommend encapsulation of wood with a coat of epoxy - to minimise moisture content changes.
The highly flexible West G/flex 650/655 line for these reasons looks very interesting, but tech support tends to turn a bit vague when asked about the long term life expectancy of bonds on wood which are exposed to cyclical changes in moisture content.
They have test results generated by cycling white oak samples to equilibrium mositure content between 15% and 100%RH (2 - 4 day cycle) which look very good (all bond failures were in the wood) - but the big question is whether or not these short term results translate to long term durability in more moderate conditions. https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php/white-oak-redux/?hilite=white+oak
The G/flex itself can handle up to 30% elongation and so is plenty flexible, the question is whether or not it's by virtue of being too rigid/strong still likely to cause failures in the wood - or indeed whether or not there are other mechanisms in play which could cause failure in the medium to long term.
The product is realtively new, but has anybody got any experience likely to shed some light on these matters?

3/14/22       #2: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
Tom Gardiner

I think you are being overly cautious. I'm leaning against a European beech bench that is 40 years old and has cycled between 30% and 90% RH annually. It was glued up with PVA and has spent most of its life without a finish.
Boats are not a good comparison to interior furniture. No heavy sun and water exposure. Boat construction also has to deal with extreme dynamic loads. Your glue joints will be straight edge grain, most likely having the ring orientation more or less the same to show quarter figure. This means that the wood will expand and contract in unison and not stress the glue joint.
As a bonus, you will be able to achieve a finer glue joint with PVA than with epoxy. PVA joints are stronger when there is a near zero joint thickness. Epoxy needs a bit of gap so as not to starve the joint.

3/14/22       #3: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
ian1012 Member

My background Tom is engineering R&D - including with a number of years in adhesives development. It's probably this and my exposure to engineering adhesives that makes me think of using epoxy.
My experience of PVA glues on wood is much more recent...
You're probably correct in that most unthinkingly reach for the PVA - we'd probably (or maybe not?) have heard by now if it failed in such applications.
That said there are those using epoxy too for this kind of work for similar reasons that swear by it. Others that accuse it of unexpected failures - although there's a load of reasons why this could happen which are not fundamental to the adhesive.
I've encountered the thicker bond line issue using thickened epoxy adhesives when building fixtures in birch ply.
Epoxy is very strong, but that is potentially also its downside....

3/14/22       #4: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
ian1012 Member

PS. This paper sets out pretty clearly the reality that epoxies don't don't do so well in wood bonds subject to movement resulting from changes in moisture content: https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf2006/fpl_2006_frihart003.pdf
It also sets up a scenario where there might be reason to think that a very flexible epoxy such as the West G/flex might (?) overcome the problem - although if so it's a bit unclear why the company is not more clearly pushing the product for bonding wood subject to changes in moisture content...

3/14/22       #5: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
Tom Gardiner

Most woodworking adhesive failures in my opinion are a cause of poor joint design or poor execution. G2 would be beneficial where you have large sections of wood coming together at right angles such as a rail and stile joint on an exterior door. Most often though a rigid glue line is sufficient and desirable. PVA is as strong as the surrounding wood, inexpensive and easy to work with. There are a variety of formulations tailored to just about any use. There are a few instances where PVAs pose problems and epoxy is more appropriate.
As long as you start with properly dried wood, machine true glue surfaces and clamp evenly with sufficient force under the right conditions your bench top glue ups will be solid for decades with a good quality PVA.

3/14/22       #6: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
ian1012 Member

The difficulty Tom is that standard rigid epoxies are known to fail adjacent to the bond line if there is significant movement in the wood.
The problem seems to be that the adhesive is too strong and too stiff - it can prevent a layer of the wood adjacent to the bond line going with the movement in the body of the piece.
The failure in these cases can look as though it was in the epoxy since it occurs in cells made brittle by its filling them - but it's not. (see the linked paper)
As with a lot of these things it's to some degree about cycle numbers and joint and wood condition specifics - and dimensions.
Intererestingly enough West US technical have just come back tonight to say that they would expect the G/flex 650 to be fine in the application (the 655 is silica filled and likely too viscous for the application) - that the highly flexible formulation is both capable of enough extension and not so stiff that it causes failure in the wood.
The 650 is quite a bit more viscous than their stock 105/205 system - you can't use the can mounted plastic metering pumps with it.
They also say that in their experience the six week intensive moisture content cycling test mentioned above indicates this - perhaps because it while short is very extreme and would have caused damage and hence reduced the strength numbers obtained when the test pieces were pull tested afterwards.

3/15/22       #7: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
Tom Gardiner

That is an interesting article. I'm not sure that the test results pertain to your bench project because I don't see the wood movement you will experience will be sufficient to destroy the epoxy bond.
However to answer your original question, search with the woodweb search function "g flex epoxy" and you will get plenty of results that should help you.

3/15/22       #8: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
ian1012 Member

I searched the forum but didn't really find definitive information Tom. I even posted the same query quite a while ago.
You're correct I suspect regarding movement in the bench - it may not be enough to cause a problem one way or the other.
The day could come too though where it is left in the rain while being transported or something.
I'm like yourself unsure whether or not the G/flex test described above proves durability in the very long term in more moderate conditions and with less movement.
West probably do have a fair idea though, and that was the precise question I posed to them this time around.
The guy I spoke to gave it to me in writing and was a senior type with experience - not the usual junior that gets handed the job in many places. They often can't even understand the problem you are trying to get an answer to.
What seems definitely to be the case is that modified PVAs do on occasion creep in these applications - I've had it from a guy manufacturing heaven benches in the UK who switched to epoxy for this reason.
The G/flex at this point feels like the best show in town unless somebody has definitive experience.
Stock epoxies don't do well where there is wood movement - that's one of the reasons why West always specify that wood in boat applications is sealed with a coat of epoxy.
Also why epoxies are not FAA approved for use on wood in aircraft construction. They are widely used on homebuilts though...

3/15/22       #9: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
Tom Gardiner

..." used widely in home builts..." not a glowing endorsement with the regularity that they seem to fall out of the sky around here :)

3/15/22       #10: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
Dave Edgerton  Member

PVA. If in doubt use a glue line joint.
Done

3/15/22       #11: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
John Member

I agree with Dave. You are overthinking this. It's a bench. Titebond has a long history of success holding wood together. Use TB II if you are concerned about short term rain exposure.

You can't have it both ways, so rigid that there's no possibility of creep but not so rigid that it will accommodate wood movement. The glue that solves one concern will fail at the other. TB Original or Extend is a good compromise.

John

3/21/22       #12: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
Kevin Jenness

"heaven benches"? I guess they have to be perfect?

3/26/22       #13: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
Adam

Here you go.

West System (Gougeon Brothers) pioneered the use of typical West 105 resin system for direct bonding of milled 1/4" thick teak to composite(fibreglass/carbon fibre/foam) decks of sail & powerboats.

The deck gets soaking wet, dries completely in the baking sun. Structurally the deck goes thru all kinds of cyclic twisting. The wood in theory is incompatible with the composite deck.

The typical West 105 restrains the thickish veneer of an oily wood. There are no other fasteners. This has gotten to point of them glueing up large sections on a shop table. Cutting it to a design or matching a pattern by hand or CNC. Then vacuum bagging it to the deck at a later date. You rough up all of the surfaces with 80 grit, acetone wash, bonded with thickened epoxy

The teak is not sealed in any way on the deck side. Fully exposed to the elements. Teak is used on decks of boats because it has nonskid properties.

3/26/22       #14: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
ian1012 Member

Thanks Adam. That's good information - and good news since I've gone ahead and bought some West G/flex 650.
The plan is to get stuck into a first build in a couple of weeks.
Bonding 1/4in teak decking to fibreglass is certainly is a demanding outdoor application for the epoxy.
A quick skim just now suggests that its been around for a while and that a variety of adhesives including purpose formulated flexible epoxies are used.
There's at least two pieces on the topic in West's EpoxyWorks mag - they in one place (maybe a later piece?) suggest using the more flexible G/flex product which make sense given the difference in movement between the wood and the substrate.
One factor which possibly helps these joints to stay put/makes the application not entirely generalisable is perhaps the use of 1/4in teak - it's as in the case of veneers presumably not thick/strong enough to overstress the joint.

3/26/22       #15: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
Adam

Ian,

The Gougeon Brothers started doing bond down decks in the mid 1980’s(40 years). The vast majority of them would have been done with the West 105. It’s described throughly in their Boat construction manual. It’s now a free pdf online.

G/Flex is just over 10 years old now. It’s a great product. I’ve used a few of the small bottle kits over the years. It does stick pretty good to anything and remains flexible enough that it doesn’t crack.

The theory’s we have of things moving & breaking are sometimes valid. That said epoxy by its superior adhesive & the surface area can overcome those movements. Carbon fibre(zero movement) can be used with wood if you know what is possible.

Keep in mind that typical wood flooring in a house is defying the wood rules.

I’m an architectural woodworker/boatbuilder.

3/28/22       #16: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
ian1012 Member

The devil for sure (and also the solution) is often in the detail.
: )
I spent some years early in my career in adhesives R&D, and saw many times how on the one hand it can very difficult to predict theoretically what will work.
Sometimes the physics subtly align in what looks a bit unlikely.
Sometimes the opposite.
How on the other hand that making proper arrangements for the accomodation of especially differing materials movements (typically thermal in engineering adhesives, but wood movement is a similar deal) is essential if bonds are to be long lived.
There are various ways of getting around the movement issue - a thick bond line (spacers of one sort or another are sometimes used), matching of material properties etc - but what is clear is that when there is movement it often takes more than just a physically strong, environmentally resistant and very sticky adhesive to get the job done.
Adhesives can also sometimes 'come unstuck' (joke) for very obscure reasons - when for example something subtle and not very obvious changes in the processing of the substrates, or in the post bond environment.
Accelerated aging/testing doesn't always accurately predict long term durability either - although commercial pressures mean that manufacturers tend often to talk as though it does.
Many engineers have learned the hard way that mechanical fasteners are genrally more predictable, but there are of course applications where adhesives offer unique advantages...

3/28/22       #17: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
Adam

In terms of wood adhesives. PVA glues like tight glue lines. You have to clamp a joint very hard to squeeze it out. It doesn't matter if its straight off of the jointer or planer with sharp knives.

Epoxy likes thick glue joints. The reason the industry settled on 80 grit(which is not a commonly used grit) is it automatically produces a thick glue line regardless of clamping pressure. It's not simply the more surface area theory.

The teak boat deck is one of those things that you wouldn't consider until somebody else tried it.

Very few people know the Gougeon Brothers(West System Epoxy) were the largest builder of large wind turbine blades from the 1980 into the 1990's. Those were highly engineered from wood/plywood/fibreglass/epoxy.

They have an engineering/fabrication department whereas the other epoxy companies have sales/tech departments.

3/28/22       #18: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
ian1012 Member

3/28/22       #19: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
ian1012 Member

Thanks Adam.
The low clamping pressure requirement and gap tolerance as you say are reasons why epoxy in this specific regard (large area laminations) may bring advantages - and why PVA may have some downsides.
The high strength and stiffness of the former (especially standard more rigid epoxies) may however bring other longer term risks into play - hence this thread.
Clamping pressures of 200 - 250psi get quoted as being ideal when using PVA on hardwoods.
This subject to geometry issues (e.g. a mortise and tenon is largely dependent on an interference fit and swelling of the wood to generate clamping pressure in the important long grain parts of the joint) is not a problem in the case of typical e.g. furniture joints - it's even easy to overdo the pressure.
Face joints between wider boards (especially those that don't have the back up of mechanical/joint interlocking) are however a different matter - it's easy to underestimate the effects of the square law. (even 1psi for example generates 144lbs force when applied to a 12in square)
Take 4in wide boards clamped face to face at generous 12in centres using parallel clamps.
12x4x250psi = 12,000lbs force (9,600 at 200psi) Your average parallel clamp requires some heavy duty twisting to generate more than 1,000lbs force - yet that's in this case only 8-10% of the recommended clamping pressure.
Not only that - these are average /sq in. numbers - the pressure may be much higher right under the clamp pad, but will fall very rapidly while moving away from it.
Widen the boards to 5in and the average figures drop to 6-8%.
Now lots use PVA successfully in this sort of situation (and the large bond areas must help with this by reducing the stress on the adhesive) - but it may also be the case that it's at least part of the reason why you hear the odd report of creep and localised problems occurring. (e.g. splits at the ends of laminations)
Most will NOT report a problem in their pride and joy unless they really are under pressure to find a fix to the problem....
Gougeon Bros by the way do indeed to my mind have a refreshingly practical and hands on approach to technical matters - in an industry which in general has been known to oversell its' products.

3/28/22       #20: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
John Member

I am reminded of the saying "Paralysis by analysis." and dealt with it myself many times during a long engineering career. You will never have perfect or enough data to cover all scenarios. You make the best decision you can with the data you have at the time. And you move forward.

John

3/28/22       #21: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
ian1012 Member

There's always a balance John, and many error in the other direction.
That said I've as above committed and bought the G/flex having concluded that while the indications were positive there wasn't really solid information about...

3/28/22       #22: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
John Member

I didn't say don't do your homework, and I'm glad you've done yours, gathered as much input as you could, made a decision and are moving forward. Best of luck.

John

5/7/22       #23: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
ian1012 Member

The difficulty in this territory is that it's hard to get to situation specific experience based data.
Part of the problem is that small differences in the situation can matter - for example (as here) whether or not the environment is such that the wood will change moisture content enough to trigger problems due to the rigidity of e.g. an epoxy.
There are always two groups in play that are not very helpful - one that blindly says 'just get on with it', and another that reacts defensively to any suggestion that PVA based wood adhesives might have limitiations.
The other issue is that for all the techno-waffle adhesives development people (and hence technical support) tend not to have better than a superficial understanding regarding joint dynamics.
They in my experience (I worked for a global industrial adhesives brand in R&D on development of large automated systems for dispensing adhesives in large automated assembly applications) often don't even truly understand the chemistry.
I used to despair when a simple question like 'can you make the stuff a bit more flexible' would lead to chemist that was supposedly highly experienced with an adhesive chemistry spending weeks making up and testing samples with incrementally adjusted formulations.
The problem in the end is that chemistry does NOT actually describe what happens, it's as maths or words just another short hand/concept based system for describing in gross terms what happens if you do xyz.
There's the odd smart person with a lot of experience who also has a deeply intuitive way of relating to these matters that is good at predicting likely application outcomes, but they are few and far between...
The die anyway is cast, so maybe try a follow up question to me in about 10 years time. That's if I haven't been back first complaining that we have run into problems ..... : )
5/7/22       #24: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
Kevin Jenness

I just don't see the likelihood of such extreme wood movement as to require using G-Flex over pva in this application assuming properly dried and machined lumber. If I were in doubt as you are I would do some short samples with different adhesives and expose them to moisture cycling over some months' time before going into production. The short length would allow for relatively rapid mc changes in a large cross section of wood.

5/7/22       #25: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
Adam

I certainly wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. My example of the boat decks defy most of the principles of wood construction. It shouldn’t work. But, it does and it’s a brilliant solution to a very old boat building problem.

10/17/22       #26: Long Term Durability of Epoxy/Wood ...
Gary B.

I agree with the others, that you're overthinking it.

But, if you want the ultimate peace of mind....what about no adhesive?

Drawbored mortise and tenons have stood the test of time.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors
    • Supergrit Abrasives
      Industrial Quality Abrasives Manufactured by Leading US and Foreign Companies
    • ULTI-BOARD
      The Ultimate Spoilboard - ULTI-BOARD - Specifically Engineered and Formulated for the Ultimate in Spoilboard Performance - Not Your Ordinary Sheet of MDF.
    • CP Adhesives
      Supplying Quality Adhesives to the Woodworking Industry
    • Veneer Systems Inc.
      Specializing in Veneer Equipment and Veneer Supplies
    • Excel Dowel and Wood Products Inc.
      Plain and Pre-glued Dowel Pins, and Wood Parts - Servicing Small Hobby Shops to Large OEM's
    • Rangate
      Woodworking Machinery, Supplies and Knowledge
    • Vacuum Pressing Systems, Inc.
      Vacuum Pressing Equipment - Including Bag and Frame Systems

Become a Sponsor today!