Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Post a Response
The staff at WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at any WOODWEB Forum. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.
Your Name:
Your Website:
Email Address:
Subject: Re: Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop

(read message guidelines).
Note: Do not use the below fields to advertise your business - only for links related to the discussion.
Thread Related Link URL:
Thread Related Link Title:
  To "point" to an image (picture) from another website, provide the URL (Web Address) of the file ( include ONE reference to http:// )
Thread Related Image URL:

Date of your Birth:

Upload a Thread Related File:
File Types: Image (gif-jpg-png-bmp), PDF, Sketchup, Video (mov avi wmv mpeg mpg mp4 ogg). (Image Upload Tips)

I have read the Site User Agreement and agree with the Terms

<= Check to receive e-mail notification of responses

Message Thread:

Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop

5/6/22       
gary

I would be interested in learning how other shops put a kerf in radius stop for Q-lon weather stripping ?

5/7/22       #2: Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop ...
David R Sochar Member

If we are making a frame for Q-Lon, it is an exterior unit, and we make a “rabbeted” jamb of sorts. Most rabbeted jambs are made subtractively - wood is removed to make the rabbet.
But for curves we make the jamb additively - by adding pieces and parts. We bricklay short curved parts to form the curved head, and make two parts: the fat of the jamb, usually 1-1/4” th. And the rabbet, at 3/4” thick.
Once the fat jamb is cleaned up, we fence a trim router to make a route 1/2” from the edge, with a 1/8” spiral bit. Take it in 2 or 3 passes so you don’t break the bit.
Drawings and photos can be found in my book on making doors, available thru the website.

5/7/22       #3: Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop ...
Mack s Member

If I’m laminating veneers I skip the glue at the depth of the door stop then once the glue cures pull them apart and machine the weatherstrip kerf/rabbet on the back. If I’m doing solid wood I add an 1/8” strip of hardwood to the template for the head jamb of the door to match the inside radius of the door jamb. The shorter answer is I do it in two pieces.

5/7/22       #4: Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop ...
gary

Thank you Mack,
I do my jambs the exact same way but what I am curious about is how you mill the 1/8" X 3/8" groove in the radius stop ?

5/8/22       #5: Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop ...
Joe Calhoon Member

Doing laminated I would do 2 piece as Mack describes and put the rebate in for the gasket running the piece vertical on the shaper before gluing the 2 together. I’ve gotten away from laminated because I don’t like dealing with the spring back. I’ve done brick laid for the base part then laminated for the part that gets the gasket. Using the brick laid part for the form to laminate to. Lately though I discovered I can use my Euro door segmented finger joint construction to do a North American type jamb totally solid and prefer this method.

5/8/22       #7: Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop ...
Mack s Member

Gary- like joe described, although sometimes on a one off I’ll do it with a 1/8” rabbeting bit on a handheld router

Joe- we’d all love to see pictures

5/8/22       #8: Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop ...
gary

Thanks to all your input the light bulb finally went on. I just ordered a 3/4"dia flush trim router bit but I will replace the 3/4"dia bearing with a 1/2"dia bearing so I can run the stop on edge at the router table. So simple and dead accurate.
Thank you very much for inspiring that.
PS David: I have your book that I purchased through a small book store and the wisdom you have put into it is very much appreciated ! I love how you represent Acorn as a collective of craftsman and not just " your show".
Thanks for writing it ! Joe; It's your turn to write one !
Gary Gilbert
Fine Woodwork By Gary Gilbert
Custom Doors & Windows
Carlsbad, Calif.

5/9/22       #9: Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop ...
Joe Calhoon Member

Mack,
I’ve been enjoying your curved window and door posts on Instagram!
Here are some pictures of the fingerjointed solid arch I’m doing on a euro door unit in progress at the shop. I’m liking this better than brick-laid arches. I can end grain finger joint material almost 4” thick. This is a 6” wide jamb extension so I stacked 2 arch segments together.

Rough bandsaw cut on inside, shaping inside with a 5” tall Tersa head. I then applied 3mm thick veneer to the inside. Actually the finger joints showing on the inside did not look objectionable and probably could have went with that.
Then marking for the outside bandsaw cut.

View higher quality, full size image (960 X 1280)

5/9/22       #10: Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop ...
Joe Calhoon Member

Next the outside radius was cut. In this case I just cut on the bandsaw and sanded to the line on the edge sander since this gets covered by trim and doesn’t need to be precise.

View higher quality, full size image (1280 X 958)

View higher quality, full size image (1280 X 960)

5/9/22       #11: Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop ...
Joe Calhoon

Oops that was the wrong picture cutting the outside. That was the casing.

5/10/22       #12: Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop ...
David R Sochar Member

Here is a drawing illustrating the kerf and the brick-laid jamb sections. We gave up on laminated jambs 30 years ago since the outcome was too hard to predict with any accuracy.

The dimensions are based upon a 36" radius opening. Make the jamb in two pieces, and remember to route in the kerf before assembling the two halves to each other.

View higher quality, full size image (1190 X 1683)

5/10/22       #13: Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop ...
aa

We had done both and settled on strip lams for us. Depending on radius we also use a laminated method over caul with a combination of strap clamping and disposable vacuum bag (not pictured), works well to distribute clamping pressure. We of course do get some spring back but usually negligible. As for kerf, same deal, leave joint dry at stop line, kerf and back on the form.

View higher quality, full size image (640 X 480)

5/10/22       #14: Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop ...
Joe Calhoon Member

Many methods here and depending on the tools you have to work with and budget will drive your choice.
5/10/22       #15: Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop ...
Joe Calhoon Member

Strip laminating is the most cost effective method especially with the right gear as aa shows in his post above. On single door units spring-back can be dealt with easily. What drove me to brick-laid construction and now fingerjoint segments is building large door-window units. The curves on these never end. Transom inside and outside curves, curved glass beads, door frame top inside radius, door top radius, brickmould and casings etc.
All this calls for very consistent radius’s.

5/14/22       #16: Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop ...
Fred Frehner

We are using lamination. Depending on the radius we change the thickness of the laminations. In the past we have used Titebond and had complications we spring back. We actually came up with a formula that calculated our spring back and it worked well. We also used a powdered waterproof resin glue by Dural that's no longer available. Laminations dune with it had essentially next to no spring back. Now we use a waterproof PUR glue by Loctite it is messy to work with but has almost no spring back.
I would be interested to find out what aa uses for glue and what the aluminum glue form is. We mostly use an older laminating table that was made by Pro Teck we got used. It has a soft ware for setup and spring back calculation. The soft ware never worked for us and we use the table for other setups than the way it was made to be used. Our jambs are 2 part units regardless if they are strait or arched. We rabbet out the back of the thicker part to attach the thinner jamb. The rabbet has a smaller secondary rabbet for the weather stripping. One of our problems is if the radius is to small the weather-stripping we have certification for and are tested with, does not bend nice and clean. I be interested how others deal with that problem.

View higher quality, full size image (4032 X 3024)

View higher quality, full size image (4032 X 3024)

5/14/22       #17: Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop ...
Adam

I always enjoy these radius threads. Depending on experience, volume, and project type we all have different methods, jigs, and tools for coming to the same final structural product. How it looks aesthetically maybe different. The function of the part is the same.

5/15/22       #18: Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop ...
aa

The metal extrusions are from a company called curve-o-matic. Since we are primarily doors and lineal millwork, no cabinets, I just bought a bunch in 12" lengths. That with a cnc router allows fairly quick setup of the cauls. Exterior jambs for us are glued with a powdered urea resin and anything interior either tite-bond 3 or another catalyzed pva we use.

Edge gluing and thin re-sawing are right in our wheel house so we can utilize rips for the "buried" laminations if it is available especially on larger projects with many arch top doors.

Like most shops I'm sure, I have been through many different iterations of clamping methods and while this is our current process I'm sure it will morph into something else as time goes on!

5/15/22       #19: Q-lon Kerf In Radius Stop ...
Adam

We only use TB1 (interior) and epoxy(interior/exterior) in our shop as primary adhesives. All of the other products have some negative attributes, that become a deal breaker.

The epoxy is 99% dependable. Based upon my boat building experience, I can manipulate it to serve many purposes. The actual cost of the epoxy is insignificant compared to it's benefits and the overall costs of all of these expensive things we fabricate.

I have no idea why, but the epoxy does appear to lower spring back, perhaps because it does soak into the fibers. The veneer thickness is the most important variable, which makes perfect sense.

We use both brick lay and laminate depending on the project. Likewise we have an assortment of methods of forming.

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Doucet Machinery
    Sponsors

Become a Sponsor today!