Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

mdf interior door

11/24/20       
gary

A contractor would like us to build a 32"x80" mdf interior door that will hang from rolling barn door type hardware. It will have a traditional stile and rail look with a chevron looking feild. These details will be machined into mdf on our cnc with a v-groove bit and have a painted finish.What is the best way to build up the mdf to maintain flatness? 2 layers of 3/4" or 3 layers of 1/2" and machined to a final thickness of 1 3/8" or ??? The panel area is also 1 3/8" thick.

11/24/20       #2: mdf interior door ...
Mark B Member

Never done it but any balanced option, and machined both sides, should be fine. We have had some major issues with thick MDF that is heavily machined on only one face potato chipping. Having your glue lines telegraphing through the edge would be the only real concern which you could always v notch the edges and glue in a face piece on the edges if that was a concern.

11/24/20       #3: mdf interior door ...
Mark B Member

P.S. if its a rolling door I'd talk him into just leaving it 1 1/2". No need to meet the 1 3/8" residential standard. That way you can leave the much more easily painted face of the MDF intact as opposed to machining that face off and having to deal with the raw core.

11/24/20       #4: mdf interior door ...
rich c

Any time you remove material from a face of MDF, you have a mess. The material will bow and finishing is a difficult task. The surface will be so fuzzy, that it will take some real skills so it doesn't end up looking like a corn cob.

11/25/20       #5: mdf interior door ...
Mark B Member

Agreed Rich but shops by the boat load are running gobs of deeply machined simulated raised panel doors. I agree with you about dealing with the core. Running double refined is much easier to finish than straight MDF but its still nice when you can leave as much of the face intact as possible.

The issues we had with potato chip were 5x9 sheets of 1 1/8 that were 3D machined across their entire face (one entire face completely removed) and deeply carved.

OP states what sounds like the panel face and the rail/stile face will be flush so if 1 1/2" is acceptable the bulk of the door faces would not be machined.

Crazy as it sounds If 1 3/8" is a must and 3/8" MDF isnt available I'd plow down a sheet of 1/2" knocking .0625 off each face and sandwich it between two sheets of 1/2" just to keep the outer faces easier to finish.

11/28/20       #6: mdf interior door ...
Adam

Tell him that you will only make it out of a solid piece of 1.5 sheet. Laminating mdf is a fool’s errand. Laminating & milling mdf is not rational.

11/28/20       #7: mdf interior door ...
gary

We have made over 1000 simulated flat and raised panel cabinet doors from double refined mdf and have never had an issue. I understand why we should have issues but we don't. I assumed laminating 2 or 3 layers to achieve the final thickness would be more desirable than using a single 1.5" thick piece of mdf. I suppose if a single piece of 1.5" is straight to start with my chances might be good that it will stay that way?

11/29/20       #8: mdf interior door ...
David R Sochar Member

Making a definitive wood door out of anything other than wood is like building a kite out of MDF. Yes, it can be done, and be done so it works. But why? Wood is what you are copying, and readily available. The technology to make that door out of wood is established very well by over a century of making.

You are contemplating making a simulacrum - a simulation of an otherwise unremarkable object. How about some pants made of insect screen?

My observation is that MDF is a great material for a very limited list of uses. My opinion is that it is not appropriate to use it as you propose. Wood is plentiful. Respect the craft.

If you or your customer have fallen under the marketing spell (warp, rot, split, twist, crack, cup, bend) of those that compete against wood doors, please wake up. Wood is superior to plastic, steel, and even MDF. Use the proven methods to work with wood.

As you can see there are no proven methods with MDF.

11/30/20       #9: mdf interior door ...
gary

Price is the main issue. We can build that paint grade door out of mdf for one third the cost of solid wood. The contractor is a knowledgeable guy and he specified mdf so mdf it is. As I stated, we have made many mdf cabinet doors with no issue so I don't have a problem using it on this door if it is done correctly.

11/30/20       #10: mdf interior door ...
Fred

Hi Gary,

I am with David on this, MDF has its place
and we use it sometimes for door panels.
We never use it for stiles or rails.
Just out of curiosity how do you address the hinge screw holding problem on the door edges? I seems to me the weight of the MDF doors and the poor screw holding
habit of the MDF edges are a problem.

12/1/20       #11: mdf interior door ...
Gary Gossling

Good point but to be clear I did mention this door will hang from rolling barn door hardware so there are no hinges. Also it is not typical stile and rail construction. It is just a thick mdf slab that is machined on the cnc to give it a stile and rail look. If this were a hinged door I would agree with you and David and would have turned it down. I suppose for a paint grade door one could glue solid wood on the edge of the hinge side stile for the hinge screws to bite into I wouldn't want to trust it. Also as mentioned a glue line would probably show up. Our cabinet doors are hinged with doweled cup hinges so screw holding is not an issue.

12/2/20       #12: mdf interior door ...
Jeff

We build 1000’s of MDF interior doors, machine what ever design you want on the cnc using 1/2 mdf, then glue up with a 3/8 or 1/2 piece of mdf in the middle, dado the 2 edges for a piece of solid wood for fastening hinges and handles.
The home builders loved them because it was easy to make doors whatever height you wanted.
Like someone else mentioned , there is a few people on this site who think they are the door experts and anything not done the way they think it should be done is stupid. Just because you did that in the 60’s doesn’t mean you need to do that now. There are tons of new products and materials available these days, maybe try something different. Live on the edge.

12/11/20       #13: mdf interior door ...
DOUGLAS P CONTI Member

You should be able to find 1 3/8 mdf it just might not be double refined. Laminating two peices of mdf is just asking for trouble (not to mention the extra work involved) Anytime you can remove a joint will remove any chance of separation (ie a failure in your product) in the future. I would use 1 1/2 and run it through wide belt if needed to get it down to 1 3/8 if needed, just remove equal parts from both sides. The problem with the screws holding can be easily taken a care of by thru bolting which will never fail and is very common on doors. As far as using mdf it is a very stable product , and is quite acceptable in a number of applications. It is specified by many Arch. firms. Exterior grade MDF comes in many different thicknesses and will not swell, and routes profiles very well, it is just a bit pricey.

1/11/21       #14: mdf interior door ...
Gary

David; I heard that the Navy is considering building submarines out of MDF. Should we be concerned ? I sure it would be MUCH CHEAPER and isn't that the only standard worth considering ? When you are holding a hammer ( CNC) everything looks like a nail
( MDF doors).

1/12/21       #15: mdf interior door ...
David R Sochar Member

Most of the cabinetmakers on Woodweb are Custom guys, working the premium residential or commercial markets. Also they should be getting direction from designers/contractors/owners what is needed. It would be rare to have 'cheapest' as the spec for cabinet doors.

As such, the cabinetmaker does not specify, unless it is just a cheap project. Building a cabinet door out of MDF is irresponsible cabinetmaking. It is driving the price so low that the door can't compete with wood.

Auto Insurance commercials are all over my TV. They are all screaming they can beat what you are paying now. And they can save you 15% or more. By giving you less protection. That is the key - they don't do the same thing for less - they all know what the other guy is charging. They do it by giving you less. You play the dumb consumer and give them a call. They will take you to State Minimum faster than a jackrabbit.

Building MDF doors is the bottom side of cabinetmaking. The part that will sell out the craft for a few pennies, never to go up-market again.

Work the top of the market! Show off your skills, give them more than they bargained for.

1/15/21       #16: mdf interior door ...
Scott

David,
I would agree with everything you said, but what happens if one of your high end builders has a client with a lower budget?
There is no way they can afford your fancier not expensive work, do you tell the builder your not interested because you don’t work with MDF?
I can never do that, I always try to accommodate the clients, if they want MDF, they can have MDF. To me any work is better than no work.
Just my 2 cents.

1/18/21       #17: mdf interior door ...
David R Sochar Member

I have turned down many an MDF job. I simply will not work with the stuff beyond using it for veneer substrate. I tried to make my peace with the stuff, and have to some extent. But I won't use it for millwork of any kind.

If you walk into a Ferrari dealership, but find out you can't afford anything they have on the floor, are they going to come up with a lesser car just so they get the sale? No. But they will hold the door for you as you walk out.

Like good stand-up, you want to leave them wanting more. Several of the folks that wanted MDF said they hoped to be able to afford us in the future.

1/18/21       #18: mdf interior door ...
Gary Gossling

We did make the door I originally asked about out of thick mdf. Turned out great. Price was an issue on that door but for our cabinet doors it usually is not. We give the customer options for mdf or five piece doors and they almost always pick mdf. We don't care what they choose we just present the options. They love the clean look of painted mdf shaker/mission style doors. It's not for everyone but it works for us.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors

Become a Sponsor today!