Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Vanishing Act

9/16/23       
David R Sochar Member

I need to explain the current state of affairs regarding the purchase of my book “Small Shop Production of Custom Wood Doors” thru the Acorn Woodworks website.

I sold my business and all things Acorn to my longtime employee about a year ago. The sale is on contract. I made the mistake of offering unsolicited business advice to the buyer when he was late making a monthly payment. For some reason, this offended him. To retaliate, he removed access to the book page on the website as well as my Acorn Woodworks email address. He made some unclear and illogical demands, all under the explanation of “just business”.

I am now forced to find alternate ways of making the book available, as well as sweating out whether the buyer will be able to complete the sale. It is available thru Amazon and other online retailers.

I of course looked to have him succeed, for all the obvious reasons. But he has taken an adversarial approach to me and made me unwelcome in the shop. I admit I now have mixed feelings.

So here I am living and writing the last chapter of my book. I am not yet riding the horse into the sunset. I do not want to have go thru default, repossession, and go to auction or find a buyer. But if I have to, I will.

Thanks for all the positive references. I am still proud to contribute to such a great community of woodworkers.

View higher quality, full size image (1500 X 1159)

9/17/23       #2: Vanishing Act ...
RichC

Sorry to hear that David. Rough situation. I had my own disaster with a partnership a few years before I closed my business. You have my sympathy!!!!

9/18/23       #3: Vanishing Act ...
BH Davis  Member

David,

That's a tough situation and I hope it turns out well with the sale. I tried to do something similar with my two primary employees when I sold the business but couldn't make it work. In the end I was glad it hadn't come to fruition after finding a financially capable buyer.

As to the book there are a few things you can do. Websites are cheap to establish and maintain, especially if you can learn to do simple coding yourself. So you can set up a website for the book. If you don't want to directly sell you can use this website to point to Amazon.

If you are okay with direct selling and doing your own shipping you can set up an Etsy shop. That is fairly straight forward to do and Etsy handles all the financial details, depositing funds directly into your bank account.

Facebook Marketplace, Ebay and Craig's List are all widely visible ad resources and you could use those as well, but here you will handle the financial transactions yourself. There are actually lots of items available on these sites that are not yard sale sorts of things.

For all direct selling you would need to word your listings cleverly so that people can find the book when doing online searches. Look at the Amazon listing and see if mimicking that would work.

In my retirement shop I make and sell a well know ski area sign from the mountain we ski at most often. I have permission from the mountain operations folks to do this. I mention the sign and how to purchase it direct from me or on Etsy on my personal website. Mainly it's a Christmas/winter gift item for people so I also do a little advertising in the local online community forum up in VT in December. I sell quite a few of the signs every year using these methods. They're fun to make and sell, and of course some extra money coming in is always nice.

BH Davis

9/18/23       #4: Vanishing Act ...
David R Sochar Member

Thanks for the tips gentlemen. You all are a class act.
I am considering a new website for the book. I used Squarespace, Stripe and Shippo for the book on my direct sales. They made it easy, with good record keeping. Amazon kept a lot of the money it collected.
I am also considering selling a stool I have been prototyping. I went thru both hip replacements and a few other health issues, and am now back to fiddling in my shop, keeping busy.

No more several hundred pound doors to haul around. The stool weighs 5.5 lbs, the book even less.

While the shop sale has been a trial, I still have the immense satisfaction of supporting myself and family on a 52 year long career working with beautiful woods, great designs and fun projects. And associating with the finest folk around-fellow woodworkers.

View higher quality, full size image (4000 X 3000)

View higher quality, full size image (4000 X 3000)

9/18/23       #5: Vanishing Act ...
tom gardiner

David you really need to buy a 5 axis cnc and a hydraulic copy lathe to really bang out the stools if you want to compete with the big box stores. :)
I hope the purchase friction is a symptom of stress on the part of the new owner coming to grips with all that is involved in running a business. Maybe it will all settle down shortly. Good luck.

9/24/23       #6: Vanishing Act ...
Mark B

Good luck with resolving the situation and moving forward (I mean that sincerely not like "good luck with THAT".

I had an employee courting me heavily tossing around very high spit-ball numbers for a "structured buyout" and while not being a curmudgeon, I knew full well it would be a can of worms to even resolve any form of a reasonably substantial initial down payment much less the struggles of making monthly payments while getting a shop (even a relatively established small shop) off the ground. The last couple small shops in my area (mine included) are the typical "you are the business" or at least a very large part, so any form of transition to someone else even with my involvement would most definitely have some amount of impact on income/sales for the new owner regardless of how long they were there. If the individual didnt have perhaps twice their initial substantial deposit with the other half being a period of cushion it would seem a tough slog. Add in the current state of business in our area with the economy and in my world it was a no-go for that option.

Seems like youve already got the best book sales options in place. Amazon if your just at peace with skimming what little they leave you after the sale but no processing on your part or Squarespace/equivalent and processing yourself. My mother wrote an in-depth genealogical book pertaining to my fathers side of our family and self published. Tractor and trailer rolling in the driveway with about 15 pallets of hardcover books when I was a teen and another pallet of padded envelopes. It was very interesting to see how regularly those books sold to bookstores, individuals, and so on, including to this day. As others have stated the marketing would seem key. I know book stores are on the downslide but getting that book on the shelves at Woodcraft, Klingspor, as well as any other book stores you can could likely be more worthwhile than one would think.

Nice stool. No news to you, same deal.. go the farm it out route/5 axis Tom mentions or more than likely coming from the small shop world keep churning them out to keep you off the couch and cater to the bespoke crowd.

Good to you you post.

9/30/23       #7: Vanishing Act ...
Kevin Dunphy

Brutal that the new owners ride your coattails to open a shop that you built and show such little respect.
One thing that surprised me I posted a couple of years ago using 4/4 3 pieces to laminate to make a 2-and-a-half-inch thick door. I had a phone from a woodworking student from Montreal about the door and was using my idea to make a door, you do reach people and don't realize it. I think your creativity is your biggest strength .
Sign that bench and start a YouTube site where you can sell merch people need to see the bar you have set . The doors are only a small portion of your creativity the new owners will never have

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors

Become a Sponsor today!