Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

% of progress payment schedule

12/14/17       
chipbored

I have had a payment program in my head for years and am thinking about implementing it. Wondering if anyone has done something similar.

Here it goes
- A job is broken into a set amount of key stages (10 for simplicity sake) Each stage contributes to 10% of the jobs completion.
- From the date the customer signs the contract the job is active. An invoice is issues at a set period until that job is completed (fortnighly for example)
- The Invoice is based on the status of the job. Here is an example

A job is started that includes a kitchen, a bathrooms and a wardrobe
The kitchen cost $10000
The bathrooms $3000
The Wardrobes $5000
After 2 weeks the kitchen is 3 stages in. The bathrooms 5 stages in and the wardrobes 2 stages in.
Kitchen (3 stages)30% = 3000
bathrooms (5 stages)50% = 1500
wardrobe (s stages)20% = $1000
Total invoice for that fortnight $5500

- Stages can be defined by such things as. Listing, Machining, Assembly, painting ect. ect

The benefits I see:
Your cash position is a true reflection of the effort you have made on a job so far-
- It is clear for customers to see where the job is at and what they are paying for
- A rule can be set in place so that if a payment isn't made production is halted
and needs to be rescheduled. Therefore your efforts are going towards work that is being paid for.

Cons
- No upfront deposit. Perhaps a set deposit could be defined i.e 30% or 50% and then the payment program can be activated once that percentage amount is hit.

Anyone doing something similar to this?

12/14/17       #2: % of progress payment schedule ...
Derrek Holland

"10 stages for simplicity" ?
Sorry, thats to complicated for $18000 dollar project. Keep it simple and be clear in your communication with customer on what is expected and when. As acustomer, if someone wanted 10 seperate payments to complete a job, I would tell you to pound sand. I dont have time for that much work. First if your a legitamite business you can reasonably carry the cost of doing that job. Im going to give you money and sign a contract as good faith in you to complete it, and i dont want to be bothered with the details of how you do it. I want it done in a reasonable time frame and want solid dates of when it will be completed. I will pay you when its completed and not before.
In your above scenario, I would write 3 seperate contracts or work orders, as they maybe completed at different times and probably have different specs for each.
My contracts are written and have paymenrs spelled out
Down no more than 10% of project (California law)
Custom work, approximately 20% of project
Balance due on completion.
I normally get the first 2 when they sign. Installers collect at walk through whether cash, check or cc. If its a builder and we are waiing on draw we discuss when before we install. We will work with them on their terms once, if they pay like they said they would we will work on their terms for future jobs if they don't, they pay on our termsnor we don't do work.
We don't start or schedule install without signed contract and down and custom work. No exceptions. We will complete 650 projects this year and have only had issues collecting on about 20 and we always get paid and rarely have any of those gone past 30 days.

12/14/17       #3: % of progress payment schedule ...
Pat Gilbert

Sean Benetin

Had a good idea, 10% down, if all the information for the kitchen was not provided within x days, he would refund the deposit. This was a way to keep homeowners punctual.

12/14/17       #4: % of progress payment schedule ...
Matt Calnen

I take full material deposit, plus the full finishers charge if I sub that out, I then write that I will bill at the months end for the percentage of labor complete as judged by me. I tell people I’m not a bank, and if you don’t trust me we shouldn’t work together.

12/14/17       #5: % of progress payment schedule ...
chipbored

Thanks for responses

Just to clarify. I'm not sending someone 10 seperate invoices because there are ten stages in a job. It's simply a benchmark to set a percentage of job completion. A round number is good because the percentages are simple numbers. 5 I feel may be a bit too broad. I feel there are more stages to a job than that.

The invoice is based on how many stages are completed after that 2 week period. It could be set up in a spreadsheet with a column for each stage. When that stage is complete the cell is ticked off.

That 10% down seems a bit rough. That doesn't even pay for materials if the customer decides they don't want the cabinets after all.

Matt, your system sounds quite similar to what I'm proposing above. Do you find that the month is a long time between payments? How long are the terms on that invoice? i.e is the invoice issued at the end of the month with 7 days to pay?

12/15/17       #6: % of progress payment schedule ...
Matt Calnen

I take full material deposit, plus the full finishers charge if I sub that out, I then write that I will bill at the months end for the percentage of labor complete as judged by me. I tell people I’m not a bank, and if you don’t trust me we shouldn’t work together.

12/15/17       #7: % of progress payment schedule ...
Leland Thomasset  Member

Here is what we have used for the past 14 years.
50% deposit
10% Once shop drawings are done
20% On partial completion which means the cabinets are built and staged in shop. Photos or a shop visit with arch or owner.
10% Delivery
10% Final when cabinets are installed
New for 2017 Jobs under 6K are as follows.
60% deposit
20% Partial
20% Delivery

http://taghkanicww.com

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)