Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Custom Cabinetry and remodeling

11/13/22       
Chris

Ok so a little background about myself. I'm 28 years old right now. Since I was 15 I have been doing carpentry and woodworking.I got started as a teenage hobbiest making furniture and evolved into doing it professionally. I have worked in small custom cabinet shops, work for general contractors. I have experience in pretty much all phases of residential construction from laying a block foundation, rough framing, siding, to custom kitchen cabinetry and building the furiture that goes in the house. Basically I am a jack of all trades. I might not be the fastest at any particular trade but I understand the processes in all. Right now I am working in a stone siding manufacturing shop, not what I like but the money is good. Lots of hours (60+/week) but no benefits and very hard labor.

My dream is to start my own business. I am dead set on it, but I want to take my time and do it right. My idea is to be a design/build general contractor, making marketing directly to home owners as a complete solution for their project. I want to take on projects such as additions, garages, kitchen/bath/etc remodels, and custom cabinetry/builtins. My main emphasis is on being custom. Has anyone else ran a similar business?

My main question is the following:
I don't seem to see a lot of cabinemakers that are also general contractors? Has anyone known or is a remodeling general contractor that also has their own shop for custom cabinetry/ millwork? I want to deal strictly with homeowners and not other contractors or designers. I feel being able to be a one stop shop will make it easier to market to homeowners. Plus I don't really have many contacts and will have to spend significantly on advertising.

My idea is to start out small, outsourcing and subcontracting in the start when I don't have all the equipment to make certain things such as cabinet doors, carved molding, etc. But eventually I want to be able to make those inhouse with shapers and a small cnc. My focus is high end custom not production volume. Ofcourse I will always have to subcontract certain things like plumbing, electric, etc.

I figure I am 2-5 years out savings wise from starting this idea. I am slowly accumulating the tools I don't have yet.

11/13/22       #3: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Mark B Member

I have been a contrator pretty much my entire life (56 now) all of that had a shop connected to the business as most GCs do. All work was pretty much ground up, turn key, residential/light commercial. About 10 years ago transitioned into the shop cnc millwork/cabinetry to the commercial construction industry with very little residential. Shut the construction down completely.

While what you outline (pretty much what we did) is not impossible it is very difficult. As a general rule people who specialize make money. Jack of all trades dont. In the construction work its very hard on timelines when you dont have trades working in conjunction and overlapping. Your typically running one or teo elements at a time even with decent sized crews. While your building cabinets nothing is being done when those should be in progress while your framing and so on.
Your smarter plan would be to pick the element of the process you enjoy the most and focus your effort on that.
Of course with thr right clients, a massive crew, all the various licenses, its possible on paper but its a rare entity for a reason.
11/13/22       #4: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
RichC

A general contractor makes their money on the phone. You can't do that and be able to make cabinets. Custom cabinets is a term often used to market something that every cabinet shop can now does. A custom cabinet off a cnc router is now as simple as changing a few numbers in the software. No interruptions like it used to be. Every shop now markets them selves as the best and that they provide the best service. I mean EVERY SHOP! You will be lucky to get by with less than 60 hour weeks in a small business. You get to work in the shop all day, and then meet your next boss after dinner.

11/14/22       #5: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
james e mcgrew  Member

One job at a time, do that better than the last one, then repeat that. Remember everyone thinks they can own a better restaurant yet 80% of individuals fail in their first attempts. From what I have seen Cabinet shop Owners are pretty much the same. pay your dues, do the boot camp, move forward on good terms. Allways...

11/14/22       #6: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Mark B Member

Rich has hit another important point in doing residential work in that a lot of your typical face to face, design, revision, time with the average residential customer is in the evenings when they are off work, weekends, and so on. There are really nice exceptions to that rule like a job with a smart husband who stays out of the process and a reasonable wife/stay at home that makes the decisions. Those were by far our very best middle/upper class scenarios where you basically had answer to any questions/design changes in minutes. That or projects for very wealthy that either dont work, work from home, or have architects/designers/staff but thats not in your design/build model. You would be looking for customers that have faith in you to handle it all.

Very much of it is location dependent. Even beyond starting out, ground up work, will be somewhat limited depending on your area with regards to licensing/permitting and so on but your post states remodeling so that takes a tiny bit of the edge off but its still an issue.

Like I mentioned, pretty much 35 years at it and it was fun, and pleasing people/blowing minds/making people happy needs to be your first personal motivation followed by very sound business practice and not allowing yourself to get attached to a project and wind up working for $10 an hour in the end. Like rich said, your days will be long. 60 hours would be very light in my opinion and you'd better make sure you are fully billing at your rate for every single hour you and your crew are working without fuzzy math. I would imagine when you start to boil those numbers down your potential client will need to be wealthier and wealthier, your demand will need to be prime, and your potential customer base will narrow drastically.

11/14/22       #7: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Chris

HONESTLY
, i prefer woodworking over site carpentry but The main reasons I wanted a business model like this is..

- I don't see many small custom cabinet/millwork shops in my area and feel it would be hard to make a living doing just that.

- I don't have very many contacts and honestly feel it would be tough getting work solely from design professionals.

- I feel it's easier to market to the end customers when your starting with no contacts or referrals like me.

I understand the work involved in starting this kind of business and it's what I want. I am single, no kids, very little family. My career is basically my focus.

I know what I want I am just in the planning stages. I pretty much have a whole business system worked out including an estimation system, contracts and templates for everything. It's far from perfect tho and my main issue is the most important, how to get sales and what my focus should be on.

11/15/22       #8: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
RichC

No wife would be a critical mistake. A wife with a good salary and benefits can get you through the first couple of years. Having no contacts or referrals will also be a stumbling block. When you are dealing with a family you have never met, and you ask them for a substantial down payment, then need more than just your word that your product is good and that you will deliver on time. Marketing for a small one man shop has to be directed in selling yourself, not your work. Just your word is a poor way to gain their confidence since everyone has heard stories of contractors walking away with the downpayment.

11/15/22       #9: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Mark B Member

Its definitely possible. Dont let the comments of those of us who've done it dissuade you. But it is hard, and I dont just mean hard work, I mean its hard to pull off even with the best of effort. As Ive mentioned, to me at least, a LOT of it is location dependent relating to what kind of clientele is in your area, what access to materials, what are the legal/licensing issues, and so on. Those things that are beyond your control play a huge part in how hard it will be to be successful. And dont get hell bent on the doing it all thing. Sub out/farm out and tack on markups to those trades and your getting work done while your doing other stuff and making a bit of profit on top.

"- I don't see many small custom cabinet/millwork shops in my area and feel it would be hard to make a living doing just that."

This is something where you need to ask why? Why arent there cabinet shops in your area? Its more than likely the area/region simply wont support one rather than there isnt one there to support. In our area there are less and less shops simply because the home centers and commercial/factory cabinetry has priced very small shops out of the market with residential cabinetry and the infrequent/sporadic demand is not enough to sustain shops.

"- I don't have very many contacts and honestly feel it would be tough getting work solely from design professionals."

I dont doubt in any area you get out there and start blowing peoples minds you will develop work quickly merely by word of mouth which is your best advertisement ever. We never spent a penny on advertising and never would because you wind up spending so much time with tire kickers, people getting multiple bids, and so on. Bidding/estimating becomes a massive time suck. Word of mouth your getting customers who are ready to go and more than likely are ready to proceed as soon as you are.

- I feel it's easier to market to the end customers when your starting with no contacts or referrals like me.

I understand the work involved in starting this kind of business and it's what I want. I am single, no kids, very little family. My career is basically my focus.

" my main issue is the most important, how to get sales and what my focus should be on"

What your focus is on would be the key in my opinion. It sounds like it would most likely be small general remodeling to start and hopefully you get to weave in some cabinetmaking/built-ins etc. to move you in that direction and away from insulation, drywall, and so on. You just have to see where your area will take you.

Rich's point regarding a wife with income and insurance is the norm for many. The saying in my world has always been "whats behind every successful woodworker? A wife with a good job and benefits". This was my point about fuzzy math. A wife who covers the bills for a woodworkers losing career venture is anything but an example of a successful woodworker. Its a luxury I never had. From day one you need to be ready to bill for every second of time your in the business. From estimating through pickup material, doing the work, going to the bank making deposits, insurance, right on down the line.

Unfortunately when you start to look at all of those items honestly without fuzzy math it becomes clearer that its a very difficult path unless your willing to accept that on paper you will be working for very low pay.

11/15/22       #10: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
David R Sochar Member

It is my opinion, after watching the industry for over 50 years, that the local custom 'cabinet maker' is nearly done. At one time there was a local chairmaker, but they are mostly gone now for decades in most places. The Chinese will undercut you and outperform you. They will get the bulk of the work. The local kid that doesn't know how to price, service or finish will get the schlocky owners/contractors that just want to save money. Do you really want a reputation for being cheap?
While there will be a market for the top tier people, you will need a lifetime to break into that class. Look thru those old Arch Digests you are using to prop up the corner of the couch, and you will some pretty high end kitchens. I don't mean to insult you with the Arch Dig remark, but most people never see the woodwork in those types of installations.
So....what to do? Find a niche and exploit it. French 18th century reproductions, Teak Garden Furniture, accurate scale model airplane airframes, Architectural models, conference tables, repro watercraft, ..... and more.

You still have a brain, put it to use and think about busting up units of Melamine for 30 -40 years. Oh boy, what fun! (sarcasm). Now think about setting some heart pine sawtooth shelf supports in a pair of 10' tall Italian style display cabinets.

Which would you rather do?

11/15/22       #11: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

I typed out a big long response, and then deleted it.

Basically this. Self employment is really fricking hard. It is a constant challenge to keep the ship afloat. Be smart, be willing to grind, and you'll survive. If you're fortunate, and things align, you'll also do well.

You're going to screw up, we all have.

To parrot other's comments. 60 hours a week is part time.

11/16/22       #12: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Stephen Lin

I would also consider in the long term what do you rather be? A single/small shop operator. Or a large size shop. The economics are very different. It's relatively easy to cover your own expenses/pay and have some left over at the end of the year. A full on business with 6 to 7 or more employees is a machine and you need to keep feeding it. Your role will be far less hands on and more about people skills, financial management, and etc.

One more thing I would add is that the first 5 years is investment, every job and relationship you build may come back 5 years later. In the beginning we put a lot money into advertising, and searching campaigns, and etc and wondered why weren't we getting the leads expected.In the end I think the best payback was the referrals I got from the early customers, so the expectations weren't correct. But definitely do the social media. It's free and basically the most effective for a new start.

Thanks
SL

11/16/22       #13: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Mark B Member

This is an interesting one that I would hope gets some traction...

"It's relatively easy to cover your own expenses/pay and have some left over at the end of the year. A full on business with 6 to 7 or more employees is a machine and you need to keep feeding it. Your role will be far less hands on and more about people skills, financial management, and etc."

This seems to be completely opposite of what I have found personally and always read. Its extremely difficult if not impossible to generate and process enough work on the open market as a one man shop to legitimately cover the expenses of being in business... Leo? A full shop, insurance, taxes, material and operating overhead, I honestly dont see how one person could ever cover it all and draw a reasonable salary (50-70K a year which would cover health insurance). Its simply not possible to process 200-300K a year through a shop as one man to pull 50-70 out.

"One more thing I would add is that the first 5 years is investment, every job and relationship you build may come back 5 years later. In the beginning we put a lot money into advertising, and searching campaigns, and etc and wondered why weren't we getting the leads expected.In the end I think the best payback was the referrals I got from the early customers, so the expectations weren't correct. But definitely do the social media. It's free and basically the most effective for a new start"

Social media marketing is absolutely NOT free. Its an extreme cost burden in time, maintenance/monitoring, and nets you the extreme bottom of the barrel of clientele. The etsy, pinterest, HGTV, budget Black Tail Studio, customers, who are looking for the free ride on the social medial train and are not going to pay 10K for a dinning room table and benches.

11/16/22       #14: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Stephen Lin

Likewise I hope some more people can shed some experiences on this.

Just a little context, I'm 38, running a small shop with my brother for about 7 years now. By no means do I consider having made it. We get by. For those older I definitely look forward to any advice you have.

With regards to the single operator I meant more like a handyman-ish type of business, that can do good work and maybe specialize in furniture making.

On the social media i absolutely agree its not free. I just meant there is no monetary upfront cost like spending money on ads etc. But I would say that it's a useful tool to showcase your work. Something we all need as someone starting from scratch.. The leads still come from your relationships and referrals.

11/16/22       #15: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Mark B Member

Can I honestly ask what your two man shop is turning in gross revenue annually?

11/16/22       #16: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
David R Sochar Member

Mark B - My niche mining shop had one man in the shop 40 hrs a week, and me in office/shop/napping for 40 hrs a week. My shop time was about 10 hrs a week, maybe 15 some weeks. Covid split us up, and this arrangement meant neither of us had to wear a mask, mostly.

We sold about $280,000 for the last 3 years. About $140,000 of that was salary, 1/3 of it was materials.

Also, in 35 years as a shop owner, I had from zero to 8 employees, and I never worked over 45 hrs a week.

It is all about finding a niche. Read Paul Downs book "Boos Life" or my "Small Shop Production of Custom Wood Doors". Mine is heavy on how to, Paul's is heavy on management.

11/16/22       #17: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Mark B Member

David, with the work you do I dont doubt That said. 280K/yr with 140 in payroll equals a very small grouping of extremely high paying jobs which is wonderful.
Its great to be pointed in that direction, its another thing for the OP to have to get there. Your perspective is as if some young gun has the chops, or the time, to build the reputation to get to your basket weave door, etc... That aint happenin out of the gate so they will have to grind out their chops.
Even you, reading through the lines, have struggled as of late. Cut the bullsh-t. Its a rough go. Their aint a snow balls chance in the hot place your going to make a go installing some bull crap shelf standards in some italian cabinet unless your so bespoke your hired to travel all over the world.
Lets talk some kid (OP 28 years old) with no bespoke Italian cabinety to massage, and wants to to make a living day to day.. Your world is plainly out of the realm of possibility for that individual to put a $0.99 hamburger in their mouth at the end of the day.
11/16/22       #18: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Steve

By the way, I meant my brother and I own the shop. We currently have 6 to 7 employees. We still work many many hours. In the beginning some months we were in the green some months Not for quite someyimr. I guess the point I was trying to say was not that solo is easier. They are both hard in different ways. (Perhaps you disagree which is ok). But in my opinion once you take on a few employees scaling is a must, anything in between will kill you eventually. Right now we are still in the scaling part and it's been tough. Hopefully we can reach enough scale where we can call ourselves business owners and not employees.

11/16/22       #19: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Mark B Member

OHHHHHH so now were talking about an 8 man shop (including front of the house).. wow.. what a curve ball... gadzukes.

11/16/22       #20: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Chris

My biggest concern with focusing solely on cabinetry or furniture or strictly shop work is business being too slow when I first start and being stuck with a 2 year lease (the minimum it seems like for small shop space where Im located) on a shop costing around $1500/month. And $1500/ month is only going to get me a two-car garage sized space in an industrial park! Plus machines are very expensive....Doing jobsite work is still way cheaper. Less than $5k/year for licenses,insurance, compliance bond. I just enjoy shopwork more. I like a shops solitude instead of having annoying customers talking to me and their kids running around screaming while I'm trying to install crown molding on a ladder and having to run outside for every single miter saw cut.

11/17/22       #21: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Thomas M Diel  Member

I am the exception; I have stayed small /one man & this is my second time being self-employed. First time 25yrs ago out of design school it was rough - I was underfunded & wife in grad school so bailed; but then worked in ornamental iron in Chicago, AWI in Atlanta and for a well known Jeweler and lastly 10yr stint in contract furniture doing costing, CAD, CNC programming while buying equipment on the side. So yeah I consider myself somewhat of a jack of the finer trades. I also try to do the higher art festivals locally to show my craft - what I want to make & prequalify my clientele.
Develop a 1yr, 5yr, and 10yr business plan and talk about your goals with those that will hear and re-access yearly. I also do hit up the A&D community & when doing commercial I do 50/50 because I consider myself custom FFE spelled w $.$$ the GC that won't do that I won't work with. I don't make the salary numbers the rest are talking but when it's good I reinvest in equipment but again I don't do strictly cabinets and would kill myself if everything becomes routine.
Do you know CAD and a good CPA. When covid hit & the commercial lined up went away I painted the building we own in another bus entity that has lease space (thank you CPA). What kind of start-up cost do you have set aside for your first year hit.
It's a crap shot if you make it, economic timing, client relations, grit, but do listen to the people above.

Best of luck TD

11/17/22       #22: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Peter

I have posted myself and seen hundreds of wannabe start up posts over the last 20 years. Let me help you out. 1 makes it for every 100 who try. Having skills and equipment is just the start of a lifelong marathon. I have noticed at least in my area over the last 5 years it has gotten tougher with a lot more good competition even for small jobs.
Do yourself a favor and start doing what you can carpentry wise now. If you make it at entry level take gradual steps up. Let your jobs buy the tools. Good luck and your welcome.

11/17/22       #23: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

I'm curious how many of the "I want to start a cabinet shop" posters make it, and what the attrition rate is. Also timelines.

11/17/22       #24: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
RichC

I lasted 8 years and was totally burnt out. Luckily I was offered a corporate woodworking job and closed the shop down. I still have nightmares after closing down 24 years ago. Most all the nightmares are about lack of work or just too much work.

11/18/22       #25: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Quicktrim

Everyone is different.

Your results will be different from ours. For me I got my ass kicked for 20 years and now, knock on wood, its going well. Mainly because I got out of finishing and into commercial work.

But others have made it big in residential so that was just my path.

This stuff is hard but it's not rocket science hard.

I have lately wondered what would happen if Elon Musk focused on cabinetry. I think we would all go out of business is someone like him applied himself to the task of cabinet making.

So maybe you are the next Elon and will smash it out of the park.

Just dive in and do it because honestly no matter what we tell you, your success will be determined by your efforts and nothing else.

11/18/22       #26: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
ANON

Been in business 20 years.
Do a million in revenue with me, one helper and wife doing taxes and insurance. 40-50% profit margin (including salary in that).
I have found 98% of the American workforce to be a drag on production not an asset, which is why I raised my one helper. Was always a drain on productivity and profit no matter between 2-10 employees. Stay small, work smart, stay within your box, master design and finishing, answer emails, texts and calls within the hour, cut out any and all fat from every production technique, sale and delivery, never install, keep your word especially on delivery even when it hurts, charge a healthy price, do not go into debt, keep overhead low, cabinetry works for most because the dollar figure is wrapped up in the mortgage loan and they can stomach the cost it takes to make a real living because they are just looking at the monthly payment and too excited about the dream house to care, do great work but learn what the normal person and GC sees and cares about and not your normal woodworker and adjust accordingly, find a network of contractors that feed you work and fight to get on your schedule because you make their life easier and help sell their product. It’s not rocket science but it is hard as hell- but so is working in the average American business that gives you crap pay, no respect and treats you like a replaceable commodity. I’ll take the long hours, the freedom, the hard earned respect and the much bigger paycheck writing my own life story/destiny.

11/18/22       #27: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

Chris - There is a lot of good information in this thread.

Quicktrim, funny you should mention Musk. I was actually thinking about just that the other day. Guys like him don't care about money. If they did, they would've packed up shop a long time ago when they had a few hundred lifetimes worth of capital to do whatever they wanted for the rest of their lives.
What guys like him care about, is winning.
They are winners to their core.
Losing is not even a probable concept to them.
The trades are mostly full of wash outs and losers. Me included. High school drop outs, child support payments to three different baby mommas, substance dependence/abuse, poor life management in general in almost every facet, and often times very questionable morals. The trailer parks are full of rusty vehicles, malnourished children and hammer swingers.
That doesn't mean the trades doesn't have some really smart, virtuous, and outright good people in it, but I feel like we get a lot of the losers.

Musk doesn't work 40 hours a week either.

11/18/22       #28: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Mark B Member

ANON,
Pulling 1mil gross with a helper and a wife on staff is an extremely impressive feat. I can conjur up the notions but they would all just be speculation.

Very impressive to say the least especially if your helper you raised is also in the family. Doesnt mean you dont have to pay them but its pretty handy. Ive long thought I should have been like the Amish and bred my own workforce (provided I could retain them).

11/18/22       #29: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Riley

ANON
What are you producing that you can bill 4000 per day? I could never come close to that rate in the residential cabinetry I do.

11/18/22       #30: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Mark B Member

I couldnt come close to it with 3 guys a delivery guy, cnc line, case.camps,, laser bander, contour bander, on and on.... 4k a day with 1.5 guys and a wife on the books is a mind blower.

11/18/22       #31: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

I'm nowhere near that.

11/18/22       #32: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
ANON

Residential cabinetry. Most homes 700k-1.2. A couple multi million dollar homes a year.

Conventional tablesaw. 5k edgebander. Rigid slider mitersaw. You get the idea. And you all are going to read that and think I build crap. We aren’t the ultra high end of the big city but we are considered the high end within a 150 square miles. We choose our client, not the other way around.

The trick is to have a system. The right system. Sell and design to fit the system. Stay within it. Pass on unprofitable out of system work.

We outsource 5 piece doors. Build our own slab. 60/40 mix this last year. All boxes, drawers, parts and finishing in house. We don’t install. I site measure and deliver.

Part of this is getting the reputation as being the man, the expert, etc. you spend a lot less time holding hands. You’re the guy with the answers. Saves a ton on the front end. Trust is the biggest profit increaser on the planet.

Most woodworkers have too many sacred cows- dovetails for example.

11/18/22       #33: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Steve

Anon,

How long did it take you to get to the point where your reputation is now? How was the beginning?

SL

11/18/22       #34: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
ANON

Steve, at about ten years it started to kick in. Definitely 15.
First 5 years probably averaged 80 hours a week and 40-50k. Your hook is your honest, cheap and on time.

Years 5-10 70 hours and 65k. Honest, on time and make an excellent product

Years 10-15 65 hours and 100k. Honest, on time, excellent product and the go to guy.

15-20 55-60 hours and 300-500k. Honest, on time, excellent product and you’re a draw. Clients often select their GC based on you being on their team.

And always communicating timely, politely and thoroughly.

11/18/22       #35: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Tom Gardiner

I have spent almost thirty years doing furniture and cabinets. Fifteen to twenty of those were anxious times working long hours, chasing deadlines and scraping by. Last ten or so have been more pleasant with fewer hours and better sleep.
Things I did right:
-Bought good used equipment as I needed and when I could afford them
-Learned how to talk to clients and give them drawings they could understand. I like sitting at the drafting board and like David Sochar I find that pencil drawings are a good way to communicate and idea to a client.
-I delivered better than what the client expected
-I made good connections with a few small contractors and stayed away from medium to large ones who I could never build to their lead times.

What I did wrong:
-I started out with no money
-I delivered better than what the client expected or asked for and could not charge for the extra work
-I put off buying machines that would increase production or quality because I was cheap or not comfortable making payments on a loan or lease
-I took rejection or criticism too personally that really stressed me out
-I didn't stay long enough working for other cabinet shops to properly learn the skills of the trade and running a shop
-I didn't marry a doctor or lawyer etc.

11/19/22       #36: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Quicktrim

Tom - all so true mirrors my exp.

Anon - good for you I believe your approach is achievable as houses in my metro area are 600k for a starter and many are 2-4 mill or more , the cabinet packages for these homes are regularly 175k or better. One every two months and you are there.

I was a trim outfit for the first 25 years, doing cabs for 3.5 now. Manufacturing is a totally different game than install, which I sort of underestimated.

However at 46 I don't think I could go on installing for 20 more years till retirement, so I decided to do the shop thing. Still doing way to many hours , 65 plus . But I like the ability to be in control of my own income , and usually I am my own biggest problem.

Anon- one question , are you doing your finishing in a both or do you have a flat line setup ? Finishing still haunts me.....

And to all - thanks for the conversation, it's a lonely road sometimes so nice to hear how others have approached it all, makes me feel like there is a brotherhood that I am a part of .

11/19/22       #37: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
ANON

400 sq ft outbuilding I built for it with conventional airless rigs. 4 rolling door racks. 4 saw horses.

There will always be hiccups in finishing. It’s less predictable with many more variables than wood.

11/19/22       #38: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Steve

Mark B,

Any suggestions or advice on scaling?

My experiences have been somewhat mixed. I can take on more and bigger jobs but some how i find myself working harder and stressing more. It always feels like the additional person doesn't provide the equivalent amount of productivity. On top of that I find culture and team hard to develop. Ie people's personal drama or drama between employees, managing expectations, just dumb issues, and et. My favorite type is when one guy is waiting around doing nothing for an hour and doesn't come to you and when you ask them what's the problem they say oh I'm waiting for the guy to finish part or oh yeah this is broken.

Not to mention finding people who want to work is just getting harder and harder. I know someone who made custom high end wood exterior doors that just closed recently not because they wanted to retire but because they couldn't get enough people. They went from 20+ to 4.

SL

11/19/22       #39: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Mark B Member

I am the last one to have any sage advice with regards to the issues youve mentioned. I have been in the exact same boat for a long while. Building a good crew is in my opinion paramount. If you have to be out there in every aspect of everything from unloading deliveries, to monitoring when abrasives, fasteners, hardware, are running low, your sunk. The whole lean/kanban thing is great but still a bear without a good crew. I am in a very rural area and access to blood flow that will even show up is very hard at times and the typical scenario is you invest to get someone up to speed and something happens, better job, wife/gf gets a job 50 miles away, buddy gets a job on the pipeline and convinces your guy to chase buckets of gold that dont exist, on and on.

Estimating, drawing, and customer interaction, is a full time position in my world. I dont see how you can be in the shop AND cover that load.

Without a good crew I dont think scaling is possible. Im not doubting his stats but I have zero clue how Anon can fly out a million dollars a year gross with a guy and a half or even two guys. My assumption when he says he made his own means a child that is groomed into the family business. Not being nay sayer but we've all seen those scenarios go three ways to sideways as well so its great its working.

There is a local top shop here that does very good work, good reputation, and the owner has said to me several times that none of it would be possible without his crew. Im sure in many many years in business he has built a crew, and a company where he can reward his crew. That said, Ive been in that shop several times and had foreman/lead people yammering to me about leaving and going elsewhere, going out on their own, whatever. The same employee apathy you here many places. Its like a cancer. I assume a lot of it is hot air because in that shop a lot of them stay.

Scaling in my opinion is difficult. In my rural area its even harder. So people say move the shop.... at what cost? and to what? Higher taxes, city limits where around here cities are now assessing a user fee to all employees drawing a salary in the city, a B&O tax, regulatory agencies breathing down your neck, crime. Is a give and take.

We dont have 600k entry level homes in my area. I completely understand Anon's point about cabinet makers, especially residential, bankrupting themselves overbuilding because they are building cabinetmakers cabinets, not the cabinets that the homeowner would be happy with and not complain about. There is an argument for sure to lower your construction standards to match or slightly exceed the home centers because even the 600k-1.5mil crowd doesnt know any better. They are shopping at Walmart right beside the person trying to survive on 16K a year.

Custom door shop,.. I have no idea how I'd ever make it. People ask for doors periodically. The Pella store here asks us for doors on occasion. I cant make doors wholesale for them to sell. Not a snowballs chance in the hot place. There are some shops in my area that make pretty impressive bespoke furniture and interiors for very high end homes in a rich area south of here. But they are all the "woodworker" types that work for 3 months on a 15K piece of art furniture and just believe you cant look at the hourly breakdown in that world. They live a meager life, doing "art".

11/19/22       #40: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Adam

If you choose to do both, you should setup separate companies(different names). The GC business subcontracts all of the shop & installation work to the other company.

Ethically, you may think its double dipping. The reality is if we were talking about a GC subcontracting to his own Electrician, you wouldn't consider it a problem.

General Contracting is one business. Carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and cabinet shop work is a different business.

The biggest problem of all is wearing too many hats. You will find yourself spending a ton of time onsite/phone dealing with the other subs, customers, architects, ordering material. Then you've got this workshop sitting there costing you money that needs to be carefully run from the management & fabrication sides.

It's all possible. I have two friends that did it successfully in New England. They needed the shops to do restoration work. The only way it worked was for them to each employ a high skilled experienced guy to run the shop.

11/20/22       #41: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
David Sochar

Mark B Your last paragraph has your way forward all over it. You know where the market is, they want you to make doors for them, even Pella is calling.
You do not need to wholesale, and you can say so upon first talk. Tell them you will build the door for their client, they can finish, install, etc, and make money where they can. Or you can hire that end of the work.
The great advantage to custom doors is that no one knows what they cost. Internet only obscures price quality issues. You calmly state the price and move along, as if there is nothing to get excited about.
You are so close, you can taste it. Tool up and develop your processes to build, and you will see the shop efficiency pay off quickly.

11/20/22       #42: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Tom Gardiner

Many of the cabinetmakers I have met have chosen their profession because it suited their mindset. I know that my stint in an office was a poor fit. If you feel you would be happier and more productive in the controlled environment of a workshop as opposed to site work, I suggest you start planning for that.
Your first years may well be lean but my feeling is that there is already a shortage of skilled trades persons and many of the shops in my city are being run by owners 60 and up. We are going to start dropping out of the field soon one way or another. That means there will be holes to fill and machinery to buy.
Start planning on what kind of shop you want. Kitchens? Look at what it will take to get a cnc and bander. Furniture and millwork can be more machinery intensive along with more skills to learn. I spent three or four years as an employee in a few shops. I highly recommend you do this as a minimum. Get paid to learn and make contacts.

11/20/22       #43: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Chris

I really appreciate everyones advice. Theres a lot of good stuff in this thread. Not everything said is what I want to hear but I know it is important points to consider.

Starting a cabinet shop (kitchens,builtins) is what Im attracted to the most but its also the scariest to start. Even if I had $20-30k(my goal within the next 2-3 years) saved up (after bare minimum machinery purchases) the cost of rent for a shop, a $1,000/month cnc payment, money for advertising, marketing, gas (for pounding the pavement networking and introducing myself to people trying to get sales.), and my living expenses (which include a new RAM 1500 payment) , will cause that money saved up to dissapear in a hurry.

My working idea after some recent thinking is todo "remodeling & custom carpentry" Basically small residential remodeling with custom carpentry/cabinetry sprinkled in. Which includes general remodeling, kitchens, baths, basements, small addtions, decks , and porches. I will buy (in cash to keep debt down) an enclosed trailer (16-20ft, 8.5ft wide) and fabricate my cabinets in there until I can afford to buy property for a shop or have the revenue for a mortgage.I should be able to put a portable alumium frame cnc in there and a contractor saw and jointer/planer. I feel I can make it work if I store finished cabinets in a climate controlled storage until while waiting for install. I know most of you guys will say this is a crazy idea....probably is.

I am really opposed to renting shop space. Everyone around Delaware wants like $1400/month for a space thats the size of a 2 car garage and they want 2 year minimum lease contracts with some stipulating you have to pay the property taxes!! WTF

I have worked under guys that had cabinet shops. Both started with basic hand tools and nothing more than a skilsaw and router. One of those guys built custom kitchens outside in his friends backyard for 6 months before he rented a house and used its garage as his first "shop". He evetually had a fully outfitted shop and 13ft beam saw (this was the 90s, cncs werent the thing as much as they are now).

Id rather start small. I want to increase my chance of succeeding any way possible. But I also need to be able to complete jobs efficiently and process enough work to make money. I just don't want to wait until life has passed me by to follow my dreams.

11/20/22       #44: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Adam

You can get a lot of work done outsourcing doors/drawers. Using a combination of outsourcing sheet cutting/banding(full kitchens) to a cnc shop. Smaller buildings can be done with a decent tracksaw setup.

If I were you I would focus as a remodeling GC(no one wants to do it, because it’s harder than new construction) Sub everything except the finish carpentry & decks. You can build 90% of the builtins on site.

11/20/22       #45: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
RichC

You will be in trouble if you plan on starting out like that. I'd guess none of us bought a new truck and new equipment. I drove a 10 year old van, and I worked part time for 15 years to build up my equipment and clientele. You can outsource all you CNC work for a while, and probably a lot of other parts. When you outsource it takes a mistake to loose money. No estimating time for the majority of the work. You measure, call the suppliers, add your mark up, then send out the bid. Fixed profit on every job! Get the cash flow going well and then find a great used machinery dealer.

11/20/22       #46: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
ANON

I am of the opinion that the majority of shops are going to go bankrupt over the next three years. They are far too in debt for what is coming in RE. There will be an entry point at some point for someone who is young and hungry. Machinery and shop space will be had for pennies on the dollar. The truck will be having enough patience to wait and the wisdom and be prepared enough to jump at the correct time. You’ll have low overhead and be able to undercut those who don’t. The trick will be having just enough credibility of references, experience and a small portfolio to sell those first 6-12 months worth of work. Start with a side job or two to be ready.

11/20/22       #47: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Chris

yea I sorta jumped on the new truck too quick. Its a ram 2022 classic, (the older body style and cheaper trim, work truck basically). My last truck 2013 silverado was decent, had a lot of issues(ujoints, leaking brakes lines, rust, hesitating tranny). Had to walk 2 hours to work a couple of times. When a lady hit me and totaled it, I decided this time around I wanted something reliable that wouldnt have issues. I do my own work on my trucks but time is an issue, I dont want to be under a truck taking things apart when i could be at work making money.

Rich C, I would do side work part (and I have, small basement remodels, etc) but my present job is so physically demanding, manually lifting masonry all day. Its hard to even shower at night when Im doing that 10-12 hours a day. I have to wake up at 4am to get ready to work everyday, and usually get home at 5-6pm. I have pretty much stopped doing sidework or even pursuing it. Plus most my side jobs are small stuff for cheap clients/ friends of friends, not worth the slim money when i can just get overtime at my regular job. I want to work my regular job a few more years, save up and get out. Its a good job I just dont like the work nor could I keep it up when im 50 years old.

11/21/22       #48: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Mark B Member

I know were getting off on a tangent here but with regards to your mobile shop plan.. We always ran 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickups with trailers, pretty well outfitted on the interior, for the ability to very quickly setup/take-down and move, as well as carrying a pretty hefty slew of materials (i.e. basically a rolling hardware store and tool transport). Not trying to be negative but to have any sort of rolling shop that can double as an interior workshop you are going to be looking at 1 ton trucks and large tandem or even tri-axle box trailers for anything workable. This is mainly because you will not only need the transport side of the equation but you will also need interior workspace/volume and load capacity for it all. Tools, hardware, compressor, etc.. The weight adds up extremely fast trust me. Fasteners and hardware alone are a boat load.

The first thing I would honestly ditch is the plan for a small frame CNC in the package because it will chew up desperately needed floor space and without spending a hefty sum will likely be slow, underpowered, and have issues with bouncing down the interstate and on and off jobsites. Torque-ing a machine like that in a twisting/bouncing trailer in my opinion wont be too conducive to the accuracy and reliability.

As before, anything is possible. Creative staging of materials, some really good suppliers that will allow you J.I.T. ordering on everything, even perhaps a second trailer or small container you drop on-site and have moved from job to job via a local tow service on a roll back are all good options for mobile/alternate work and storage space and you arent paying any rent.

So much will depend on the type and volume of work you get. With all your planning you will be able to start getting out and sewing some seeds while your still working and as you say some side work will get the word out and hopefully give you a bit of an indicator before you pull the pin.

11/21/22       #49: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Chris

Yea a 1ton truck is not an option. If space becomes an issue I can always switch tools in and out at a storage unit I guess.

I actually saw this collapsable portable 110v 13amp portable cnc online.Does 4x8 sheets.$10k for it. Its probably slow. I would guess it takes about an hour or more todo 1 sheet. (your machine probably does 20 sheets in that time, lol). The benefit is while its working, I can build my face frames , doors or drawers or even make business related phone calls.

The trailer idea is a thought. Not saying Im going with it but money wise I don't have many options.

11/21/22       #50: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Mark B Member

The problem is accuracy (what s cnc is there for).. i may well be wrong but I cant imagine a torqued and twisted cnc performing in a trailer to any level of accuracy. And yes... sheet panel procesing when you pass 6 minutes a sheet you begin to get extremely aggitated.

11/21/22       #51: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Chris

You make very valid points.

I dunno, part of it is a pride thing. If im marketing myself as a "custom" remodeler and "custom" cabinet maker I want to know I'm able to build "custom" work. If a customer comes to me asking for a carved panel cabinet door or custom carved molding, I want to know I am up to the task. I don't want to be restricted by my supplier/subcontractor/ who i am outsourcing to's lead times and lumber that won't provide a grain match withmy cabinet cases. I want to know I can handle those jobs, might not be the fastest but I want to have the pride that I am up to the job and not just some "project manager" reselling other people's work. Its not all about money, yes I want to make a good, good, income but doing something I have a passion for is number 1.

I started woodworking as a teenager in my parent's backyard. I worked out of a 10'x10' rotted out shed building furniture, cabinetry mostly. It was a simpler age before I realized "time is money". I built some great projects using little tools. A old cast iron delta contractor saw, an old 8" powermatic jointer (1970's era i bought from my school, replaced the 3 phase motor with an underpowered single with bronze bushings lol), a porter cable lunchbox planer, a bosch fixed base router and table, a festool ts55 and mft3 ( most expensive tool i ever bought), a harbor freight compressor that could spray an hvlp gun on 110v(sometimes I had to break and let it catch up when spraying precat lacquer, less than perfect finish ),and a whole lot of american made quality hand tools. Yea i didnt do it professionally in that small space but I managed to learn enough to get hired at a cabinet shop with no trade school or any education at all.

Sadly I did some time in jail and the only tools I have now are a dewalt combo kit and metabo miter saw and I don't even work in a carpentry related field now.

11/21/22       #52: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

You can't afford to buy a cheap cnc, or a half ton pickup. Neither one is useful.

11/22/22       #53: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Hen Bob Member

This has been a great thread with excellent advice from all sides.
I would suggest getting away from the stone shop ASAP! either go to work in a cabinet shop or a trim carpentry outfit that does the higher end work. Either one will get you back into the place you need to be to start getting leads.
Once you can get some jobs secured just build the cabinets on the job, my local hardwood store sells predrilled bookcase sides, prefinished ply, etc.. Your clients will be totally fine with this method if the end product looked great.
Then as you grow just bite the bullet for a shop, its all part of growing the business.

Head the advice of not buying a cheap CNC and putting it in a trailer. You with spend more time trying to keep it working than getting quality parts off it. Other than the fact it wouldn't really fit and be able to use it??

11/22/22       #54: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Chris

I was looking at yetismartbench.com

It's a portable cnc, looks very interesting. Yes probably slow as he'll, 1-1.5 hours per sheet but it would take me that long doing it with a trackball and various jigs anyway.

I could always cut all my cabinets, pre finish them flat then glue them up/ assemble them on-site. It would save space in my trailer. Working in a shop previously, I know we always assembled stuff way too early and it would sit taking up space for days , cluttering the shop.

The problem with leaving the stone shop is money. I get 60 hours a week on a regular week, no carpentry/cabinetry job will give me that. The hourly pay would be roughly the same too because most carpentry/ cabinetry jobs I have been trying to get are not impressed by my sporadic resume, I have worked a lot of jobs for short times, I was young and dumb. Then my resume has a jail time gap which has put potential employers off.

Is it realistic to think I can save up enough money for a couple years of living and advertise/market / network my into business cold turkey quitting my full time job? I have family that just bought a house and I can move in rent free with them in exchange for fixing it up. Doing that I can probably save up enough in a couple years to not work for the following couple years, which is when I could start my business. If it fails , I don't loose anything just have to find a job again.

11/22/22       #55: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Mark B Member

You've got plenty of time to let it soak in. Custom carved moldings or cabinet doors will likely either be few and far between or something that more than likely by the time you model it and your processing time, tooling, it will be more cost effective to outsource it. Dont let your pride stand in the way of your profit margin. Its a common pitfall. I think a lot of people think getting a CNC will allow fruitful creative/artistic work/accents, which it can, but at least in my world those opportunities are extremely rare to the extent they in no way justify the machine (even a small one). Everything you outline can easily be sourced from a good relationship with a local CNC shop with all the software and large machine capacity to get you what you need initially if its not stuff you can site build or your too busy with other work to build the boxes/etc yourself. You dont need to do it all.

Your money and hours at the stone shop definitely seems hard to pass up but my advice would be to keep your feelers out in the field your interested in because you never know. I understand your history affecting you but several hires over my time, including in the shop, were newly released felons who had applied for endless jobs with no chance. My typical routine regardless of who came looking for work was to have them come out and work for a day (paid) as the interview process. It let me get a feel for the fit as well as them for me. You could always see it in their eyes all day that they werent telling you everything out of fear of getting run off by default and at some point before the end of a decent trial day they would muster up to spill the beans. None of that ever bothered me. We all make mistakes and people need a second chance. While they may not have done jail time, you will more than likely run into more people in the construction trade that are social misfits than you will the opposite. Its worth keeping your feelers out while your banking as much as you can at the stone work in the event something juicy pops up.

11/22/22       #56: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
DS

Someone posted a link to this video years ago. I believe it to be especially relevant in this case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBi4zroEj1w

11/22/22       #57: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Mark B Member

And the follow up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9hIXiM-yrY

11/22/22       #58: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Chris

Yea it's definitely relevant. That is the main reason I wanted to do remodeling as well. The ideal customer is few and far between. Even when I worked in a custom cabinet shop We had to take on everything custom just to survive. Pergolas, custom replacement windows, flooring refinishing for a rich reoccurring custom, cabinet refacing, and some commercial work which was bland, repetitive and boring but the boss always talked about how well it paid.

I'm not above roofing or siding, I actually like doing it.

Is there such a thing as a craftsman anymore? Or is everyone just an installer?

11/22/22       #59: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Thomas Gardiner

Are there still craftspeople?
Have a look at David Sochar's, Thomas Diel's, James Mc Grew's and many of the others who have responded to your query.
The reason many have suggested subbing out work or buying prepared stock is to help you get into production until you are able to do that in house.
In reality, for me it doesn't make sense to build cabinet doors or dovetailed drawers because I can order from five companies that deliver excellent quality product far cheaper than I can. I can control as much of the detail work as I want or have the time for.
You are a smart guy. You have a goal. That puts you way ahead of many who are in the trade. Now you have to do your reading, meet people and save up.

11/22/22       #60: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Chris

Outsourcing and subbing t makes sense but it feels like selling my soul for money (maybe an exaggeration but best way I can describe it). Ofcourse in remodeling certain subtrades that require licenses (HVAC,electric, plumbing, etc) must be subbed out but subbing/outsourcing what I am suppose to be all about and good at is another thing.

I'm honestly reconsidering even starting a business after reading the advice in this thread. If its not what I want to do why settle for less.

11/22/22       #61: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Mark B Member

Your stuck in the mindset of thinking government licensing is the qualifier for subing out work. Major...... major mistake.

We just today took delivery of a bunch of laser cut steel components for a.project. I have plasma, full drilling, slotting, metal lathe, milling machine, in the shop. Could we have made these parts out of sheer pride. Sure. But for 1/5 the cost, in 4 days, crisp, clean, deburred, no oil, parts landed on Fedex literally ready to go to work and they are cleaner than anytjing we could have produced.

The same goes for cab doors, drawers, box components.

Your skill as a craftsperson is to be smart in what you deliver to your customer.

When you land on one that will actually pay you to take it from start to finish... do so. But my guess is very few will. If you insist on your concept of a "craftsman" by default you will go broke.

11/22/22       #62: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
RichC

Chris, What do you think marketing and working for customers really is? It's a very rare person that doesn't sell his soul to survive everyday. If you only want to work the way YOU want to work to satisfy just yourself, you have to invent a niche something that only a handful of people in the United States gets to do on a daily basis. "Selling your soul" is basically the definition of work.

11/22/22       #63: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Paul Downs

You should go work in a cabinet shop for a while. Really. It will save you years of wasted time trying to figure out how to do this business. And most owners I know are dying for a curious employee who wants to learn.

I did what you want to do - started a business with no experience, having never worked for anyone else. And I beat the odds and succeeded, but it took me a whole lot longer than it should have. And without some moments of incredible luck, I would have failed.

You haven't told us how much you are making at the stone shop. What's the hourly wage? You might well be able to make just as much doing something which moves you closer to your goal, and is a hell of a lot easier on your back.

11/22/22       #64: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Chris

Rich c,

I don't know. Maybe I am niave. I thought business and fufilling my desire to be a craftsman could co-exist. I would consider myself to be an" independant artisan ". My enjoyment comes from being able to create a project start to finish. To just assemble components sorta takes the "fun" out of it. For all that I would just rather be a general contractor that subs everything out and makes his money via "project management" and markup.\

Paul downs,

I make around give or take $20/hour at the stone shop but with 60 or more hours a week. No carpentry/cabinetry job will give me those hours. I have been on 3 interviews for carpentry jobs (all trim carpentry positions) I was asking high 20's /hour and they all basically laughed me out the interview. If I'm going to take a job with less hours I need higher pay. I have worked for a custom cabinet shop (that was about 9 years ago) and my other 2 jobs were for general contractors where i learned all phases of residential construction and some commercial( mostly light gauge steel studs). I also worked at a 6 month on the job training program where I worked under a master boat builder, we were restoring an 1800's wooden train car as part of a non-profit program, I am well enough experience I though I deserved the hourly money I was asking. I guess the long gaps in jobs and my prison time made the resume look bad, plus I jumped jobs a lot and didnt hold them long. I had a lot of my personal carpentry work photographed before I went to jail, lost all those pictures, I guess it didnt help I had no portfolio.

Honestly every job Ive ever had I work 110%, I have great work ethic, yet I feel every small business Ive worked for takes advantage of me in some way. I guess thats what happens when you work for someone.

11/23/22       #65: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Chris

I was thinking, maybe the solution is to offer customers budget targeted solutions. As a remodeled I could offer both mass produced/ rta cabinets and custom cabinetry as an option to customers . Atleast every now and then I would get to build an "entire" custom kitchen and still financially survive.the jobs a customer can't afford me to build a custom kitchen entirely myself I just outsource everything basically. If I'm going to outsource on a cabinet job I'd rather outsource everything

11/23/22       #66: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

Where are you located?
Where you are has a lot to do with what you can make per hour working for somebody else. If you are in Buttsweat Arkansas, you're going to make a lot less than if you work at a shop in Albany California. But the cost of living is a lot different too. A studio apartment in Buttsweat doesn't cost $4k a month.

I agree with the comments about you should go work in a cabinet shop. I would add, preferably one that let's you do sidework. When you're putting in a steady 40-45 at the shop for your employer, and another 40+ doing sidejobs, then you might be in a really good position to strike out on your own. Also after you've secured some space to work. Go garage warrior for a bit until you can ramp up.
Be honest about your intentions with the new employer. Some will tell you to piss off based on that. Some will be so happy to see an eager person to enter this trade and will help you immensely. In some cases, they don't have anyone to turn the business over to anyways, and they are difficult to sell outright. We are dying. Kid's are unemployable at this point, and I don't see many youth's interested in actually working for a living.

One of my guys, when he came and talked to me initially, I asked him how much he was making at his current job. A shop that isn't very far from mine. He said he was making $18/hr. I told him no way will I pay you that much. He kinda sank a bit. I told him I'll start him at $20, and if you don't have any value at $20/hr, you don't have any value to me. Four years later, he's still here and making 20% more than when he started. He is my drawer and door guy.

If you're working time and a half past 40, your check is about $1400 at $20/hr. To pull off that number, and only work 40 hours, you're going to need to be making $35/hr. Depending on where you are, that is a tough number to get. At 28 years old, I'm not sure I had the skills to make that happen here. My top guy makes $32. (I'm somewhere demographically between Buttsweat and Albany) I've always felt that cabinet makers have gotten the short straw in the trades. I think we have one of the most diverse skillsets, and under the most scrutiny, yet we are paid the absolute worst.

Cabinet making is an expensive business to be in, the margins are tight, and only getting tighter. The capital required to be come efficient is staggering.
While the normal view held by the public is that every business owner is some greedy pig that is exploiting his labor and screwing them over, that just isn't true. I'm sure it's accurate for some, but it's and extreme minority and I don't think most of those companies don't make it very far in the world. We have to take care of our employee's the best we can.
If it were up to me, we'd all collectively raise our prices 50% so we had more to give to the employees, more to make improvements, and more to give to ourselves. Get us more on par with the pay scale of a plumber or electrician.

A cnc that cuts a sheet of parts in much more than 6-7 minutes is going to be obnoxiously expensive to operate in my opinion. My cabinets are pretty heavy on machining. With two tablesaws, (one for ripping sheet stock, one for dados), vertical panel saw, and a double line bore I could cut 40 sheets out in about 30 hours. Maybe a little less if I was really on the ball, and not being interrupted to much. That was to me a pretty ideal setup for manually doing cut out. I can do that in a day on the cnc now. Food for thought.

11/24/22       #67: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Chris

Yea I doubt I could get the $28/hour I been asking at a cabinet shop. I can't get it for trim carpentry. Im going to keep my eyes opened tho, maybe something will come along.

The thing about doing sidework is it seems all based on word of mouth. I associate mainly with people like myself, not the type of person who would be hiring me to do work on their house. Atleast with a legit full time business I can put up a website, advertise, and spend the day time running around introducing myself to people. With sidework I am not sure I can.

One idea I had was to evetually try and find like a night job that way during the day I could dedicate time to starting my business.

I have also been trying to find small affordable shop/garage space. 200sqft give or take. Just some cheap 1 person starter space. Found some online but nothing around where I live that was close enough.

12/2/22       #68: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Mark B

Dont waste your time with the website/marketing etc.. Going out and introducing yourself to contractors and the trade is a great thing though a long shot. The website thing is going to likely do nothing for you other than wear you out with people getting three estimates, tire kickers, and the like when your starting out. Its a great thing to have as a portfolio of your work so word of mouth referrals have something to look at to give them a bit more comfort over and above a referral from a friend. The absolute worst thing you can do is start a facebook page as you will be endlessly dealing with the bottom feeder work requests.

Your best option is hopefully you have some locally owned or non-big box lumberyard(s) and even hardware stores in your area. Start going in there and shopping for your odds and ends, buying material for personal projects, and strike up a relationship with them and their trade salespeople. Tack up some business cards or a flyer if they will let you. Explain to them your situation and what your trying to do and more than that buy stuff from them. They are coming in contact with tradesmen and homeowners on a daily basis and always being asked by homeowners if they know of anyone to do what they are looking for. If your seem as decently solid in their eyes you will get a referral from them for some poop work that none of their bigger contractors want to fool with. It will be small/pain in the a$$, less than profitable, work to start but once you get in someones home and doing some odds and ends and you crush it, before you pack up your tools they will likely have a list of 20 other things they are asking you to do. This will spread through their neighborhood/social circle like wild fire and you'll be drowning in pain in the a$$ work that you can persevere through until you can start picking and choosing the better work and shift your focus.

12/17/22       #69: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Peter

Chris, now your making some sense. To put myself out there, I am a journeyman carpenter and a skilled cabinetmaker. For years I have struggled to stay busy. Just because you build it does not mean they will come. Marketing and business relationships are very important. I am a loner and I guess this hasn't helped me. As an aside, maybe learn autocad and think about getting into the office side of the business. Another option.

12/18/22       #70: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Quicktrim

OP - Karl has hit the nail on the head.

Karl - So very true, the cabinet maker road is so hard and long that if I knew that starting out I would have gone electrician and built a home shop with all the extra money to feed my woodworking addiction.

OP - you are young enough to do this, I would think real hard about going that route, then if you find the woodworking side hustle starts making you more than your day job you can switch to full time in woodworking.

Unregulated trades AKA - C-tops, Cabinets, Tile, Drywall, Framing ETC ...Are so tough to make above average $$ But I am too deep in to turn back now........

2/23/23       #71: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Chris

I have probably re-read this thread 10 times. I am definetly grateful for the responses.

I am going to try and lease a shop this summer. I found one I can afford and like but I have to wait til financially I am out of this other lease. Hopefully the shop space stays on the market.

Since I posted this thread, i have done a couple more side jobs for this commercial General contractor. He works alone and mostly subs out everything for commercial work but he had a rare residential remodeling job and gave me two different jobs. Both jobs weren't really what I like doing but hey its work.One was a laminate flooring install with a MILLION complex cuts. Had to rip and notch everything with a skilsaw and backsaw....not fun, need tools. I felt like i was slow doing the install but the contractor loved it and thought i worked at light speed compared to others hes used. The other job was some painting....in a house with no electric...at night. Hey, still work, lol. The contractor was happy with me and he seems to talk about knowing a lot of players in the trades so who knows, might lead to meeting important contacts later on.

Haven't done any sidework in about a month, my regular job is giving me 55-70 hours a week still so I am tired. Got some money saved and hoping to have all my basic job-site tools this year. Maybe if I get this shop space a couple of basic machines too.

In my very limited spare time I'm also working on a excel estimation system for my jobs. Trying to develop a business system. Like discussed before I will primarily do small scale residential remodeling weaving in custom cabinetry and finish carpentry, selling direct to consumer. That is unless somehow i meet the right contractors who are willing to give me work, you never know.

Plan your work, Work your plan

AND

Adjust your plan accordingly

2/24/23       #72: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
David R Sochar Member

I am a huge advocate of niche woodworking.
After reading here for years of the slings and arrows that is the daily due of the struggling cabinet box maker as they try to make their way by outfoxing large manufacturers or importers. While the custom cabinetmaker plays a valuable role in the woodworking industry, not every woodworker needs to be a box builder.
I spent a wonderful 50 years in the shop building curved stairs, shutters, and doors. I did only three kitchens in that career, all with unusual woods/designs that the box builders stayed away from. Locally, I know of career woodworkers that wholesale pen blanks to another shop that makes rosary beads. One makes curved stairs, another makes doors. Shops like that of Paul Downs evolved to make large conference tables. How about Civil War re-enactment items like canteens, weapons and camp ware? The variety is as broad as one can imagine.

To that end, I wrote a book to help woodworkers enter the door building business and stop struggling in the trenches with all the mud, blood and beer. There is still a need for the custom cabinetmaker, but not at the current level. In my market, I have watched for many years as one cabinet shop after another struggled and failed, or just struggled. Maybe 5% succeeded.
Those are lousy prospects.

2/24/23       #73: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
Chris

I agree David niche woodworking is very powerful. The problem is finding enough clientele to be sustainable at just offering one product/service. I don't know if I could do that, well atleast at first.

2/25/23       #74: Custom Cabinetry and remodeling ...
David R Sochar Member

I am a huge advocate of niche woodworking.
After reading here for years of the slings and arrows that is the daily due of the struggling cabinet box maker as they try to make their way by outfoxing large manufacturers or importers. While the custom cabinetmaker plays a valuable role in the woodworking industry, not every woodworker needs to be a box builder.
I spent a wonderful 50 years in the shop building curved stairs, shutters, and doors. I did only three kitchens in that career, all with unusual woods/designs that the box builders stayed away from. Locally, I know of career woodworkers that wholesale pen blanks to another shop that makes rosary beads. One makes curved stairs, another makes doors. Shops like that of Paul Downs evolved to make large conference tables. How about Civil War re-enactment items like canteens, weapons and camp ware? The variety is as broad as one can imagine.

To that end, I wrote a book to help woodworkers enter the door building business and stop struggling in the trenches with all the mud, blood and beer. There is still a need for the custom cabinetmaker, but not at the current level. In my market, I have watched for many years as one cabinet shop after another struggled and failed, or just struggled. Maybe 5% succeeded.
Those are lousy prospects.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors
    • NEMI
      Products For CNC Machines - Digitizers, Tool Setters, Vacuum Pods, Vacuum Cups, Vacuum Tables, Vacuum Chucks and Software
    • OMEC/Macoser Inc
      Exclusive Importer of European Woodworking Machinery Since 1988
    • Rangate
      Woodworking Machinery, Supplies and Knowledge
    • INNERGY
      INNERGY is the ERP for woodworkers, by woodworkers. We are birth to death millwork.
    • Impact Search and Placement
      Professional Employment Recruiting Specialists
    • ULTI-BOARD
      The Ultimate Spoilboard - ULTI-BOARD - Specifically Engineered and Formulated for the Ultimate in Spoilboard Performance - Not Your Ordinary Sheet of MDF.
    • Cabinetshop Maestro
      Web-Based Project Management Software for Custom Cabinet Shops - Manage Jobs from Prospect to Punchlist Through Scheduling, Task Management, Time Tracking and Communication
    • Parts Cutter CNC
      CNC Cabinetry and Closet Parts
    • Machine Bid
      Online auction site for buying and selling high-quality machinery. We offer a secure, online bidding platform, featuring CNC routers, Edgebanders, Sanders, and much more; new equipment added daily
    • WoodJobs.com Search Consultants
      Free Employment Service for Woodworking Related Job Seekers
    • Vexor Custom Woodworking Tools, Inc.
      Custom and Standard Router Bits, Shaper Cutters, Profile Knives, Multi Profile Insert Tooling and More
    • Better Vacuum Cups, Inc.
      Vacuum Cups for All CNC Routers As Well As Many After Market Parts for Your CNC
    • TradeJobPlacement.com
      Individualized Placement Services, Specializing in Millwork Design Engineers

Become a Sponsor today!