Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Business Opportunity

4/19/23       
J Member

To start things off; I have been wanting to start a business in my area to provide custom kitchens and cabinetry for a while now.
There is a guy basically running solo in this industry with a full cabinet shop in my desired area but not as productive as what I can be. He ( Joe) currently leases a shop from a guy for the last 25 years from (Bill) which I know well.
Joe has approached me personally to see if I will work for him as a subcontract and transition into ownership of HIS business. I have worked for him for a little bit to get a feel for how things are; first impressions were he was disorganized, had a very high lack of communication and overall just really old-school( don't get me wrong, I truly do have a respect for the way things used to be done but things don't stay the same forever and you need to adapt) so I am very leery of what the future will hold for me. Will I be stuck working for this guy knowing there is a much better and efficient way of doing things?
I have a good job as a fulltime cabinet installer that is on salary(which is basically unheard of.)
I really just want to take the lease over and start my own business but I feel that he has all of this time invested that I'd be over-stepping. I need some guidance as to what is the right thing to do?

Background Information:
20 years experience as a cabinet installer and a cabinetmaker.
Day by day I take steps to learn how to be a business owner in this industry.
Researching local contractors and creating new business relationships.

4/19/23       #2: Business Opportunity ...
RichC

I've been reading stories exactly like yours since the early 80s. EVERYONE thinks they can turn a business around, just because they will be the boss. It ain't that easy. Custom cabinets today is just a matter of pushing a few buttons for the high production factories. It's an overused marketing phrase that means nothing. There was a time, probably started in the 50s, when big companies just made stock lines and fill strips made up for gaps. That all stopped when CNC machinery filled the factories. The CNC machinery could care less about 36" cabinet or a 36 3/4" cabinet. I would bet if you follow this adventure, it will take you at least 5 years to get back to your current salary, while putting in about twice the labor hours. Good luck to you.

4/20/23       #3: Business Opportunity ...
Gary B. Member

J,

Before you consider this, I'd recommend reading a small book called the E-myth for contractors. If you're an avid reader, there is more to be found in other books, including the E-myth. But this is a short easy to read book that brings you the full picture. The entrepreneurial myth is that if I'm a good cabinetmaker, than I could hang a sign and a good business. As Rich said, it's not that easy. It's definitely achievable, but needs a different way of thinking. You have to be willing to be a businessman first and foremost.

4/20/23       #4: Business Opportunity ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

So, you understand the easy stuff. Great.

Do you know how to sell?
When to adjust prices?
When to cut a poor employee loose even though you like the guy?
Can you manage money?
Can you manage debt?
Do you have a good relation with your banker?
Do you know how to say no when you need to?
Does your current wife or future wife understand you're also married to a business?
Can you keep your crap together when the fan is flinging it everywhere?
Do you now what value added means?
Can you delegate?
Can you distinguish between reality and fantasy?
Can you handle 10% of your year being in receivables?
Do you know how to lead?
Do you know how to mould an employee into a productive part of your team?
Do you know how to build and motivate a team?

Running a business is equal parts fantastic and horrifying.
I don't get to do what I'm actually good at anymore, which is build things. I run a mouse in the office, and manage relationships with accounts. Probably true of many of us that post on here.
I think if most were honest, they'd say it was way more of a challenge than they thought when they stepped out on their own. I certainly would, and I had fortunate circumstances. I'm also certain most of us on here were cocky enough to think we could do it better than that dummy we worked for before we set up shop. And we've been probably humbled to some degree.

There is a wealth of knowledge here. Even the things you may disagree with, there is value to be gleaned.

4/21/23       #5: Business Opportunity ...
Dustin j orth

Well said Karl. Running the company is way different than just being a good employee as well. Are you ready to put in 60, 70, and sometimes 80 hours a week?
J, do you have a local chamber of commerce? They sometimes have business mentors that you might be able to talk with one on one.

4/22/23       #6: Business Opportunity ...
pat gilbert

What Karl said is the reason you should read the E-myth as Gary indicated

The "blue sky" ( customers) may not transfer to a new owner, but they are the most important

Contrary to what most new owners do, especially restaurants, is you should change NOTHING.

Changes should come in small does while monitoring the changes, did it Really improve things or not, leave your ego at the door

Not that you will hear any of this thread

4/25/23       #7: Business Opportunity ...
Anonymous

J, I agree with all that has been said. I did not take a salary for the first 3 years after opening my company. I worked harder in those three years than I ever had in my life, fall asleep at the dinner table type hard. There are years of my family photo albums that I am not in.

There was only one person that believed in what I wanted to do, it was my wife. I think she knew I had to do it and I would give it 100% so she supported it. The attorney I hired to incorporate told me I should not start the company, I would fail. I fired him after we completed the paperwork.

Unequivocally the hardest thing I have ever done. Unequivocally the best thing I have ever done. If your plan is to have a 1-3 man company, I would not do it. It will consume your life. You are trying to create a job you would like and owning a company is not a job, not even close. If you want to take the seed that has been planted by this other person and try and grow it into something bigger, maybe. How big is the question. As big as it can possibly be would be my answer. In my opinion that is the question you have to ask yourself. Can you see yourself as that person? Can you learn all the skills to be successful? Do you want to make this tremendous commitment?
Things will happen, 911, great recession, Covid to try and take you down, will you be able to handle that? The number one rule in owning/starting a business is failure is not an option.

Owning and starting a business can be very rewarding. It is very difficult. Statistically most business's fail, don't be surprised if that happens. I started mine 5 months before 911, we nearly failed.

Good luck on your journey.

4/28/23       #8: Business Opportunity ...
David R Sochar Member

I started and ran a company that grew a solid 10% per year for 35 years, all but one year. I never worked more than 45 hours or worked a Sunday. But, we did not make kitchens. I valued our collective sanity too much.

4/29/23       #9: Business Opportunity ...
Adam

I find it amusing that everyone always thinks they are smarter than the one who actually has experience and skin in the game. If you really think that you can do it so much better, I suggest you go rent a space buy all the equipment and go into business for yourself, you wouldn't want to buy his business it has too much of the old you don't like.

4/29/23       #10: Business Opportunity ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

Didn't we all think we were smarter?

4/30/23       #11: Business Opportunity ...
RichC

I certainly didn't think I was smarter. I opened a business to get out of a crappy corporate job and to scratch an itch. It took me 8 years to figure out the itch had gone away and that I was not the greatest businessman.

5/7/23       #12: Business Opportunity ...
Thomas M Diel  Member

I'm definitely not smarter just too stubborn not to make it. In March 2013 my wife called me at 3:30AM and scolded me "you need to know when to say when". A month later I won "Best in Show" at my Main St Arts Festival gig and called her w/ check in hand "WHEN". 10yrs later I'm 2wks out from the same show, still replinishing the sleep debt; but sold 2more pcs yesterday to the same client that bought the big one at this years show! A few have said I am living the dream & I remind them I am working it. Where there's a will... there's a wife with a great career!

5/12/23       #13: Business Opportunity ...
JJ Johnson

Hey, interesting idea for your business opportunity. I hope it all works out for you as a fellow business owner.

5/13/23       #14: Business Opportunity ...
J Member

Thanks everyone for all of your valuable opinions, experiences and general advice. I have read every response and where I am at is; I am not quitting my full time job, but I am pushing for my brand and getting my name out there, for every job I get I give money to the current lease holder and he seems fine with this, I am organized enough to keep my materials and inventory separate from his and I know we will butt heads in the future but this way everyone wins.
Thanks again, I really do appreciate everything.

5/20/23       #15: Business Opportunity ...
Chris

In business, you really need to be adaptive to attract more clients and provide good customer service. Now, if that person can't provide that, maybe it's time for you to have him as a competitor. Every business needs that to excel and thrive hard. I know it sounds bad because you're like over-stepping his business, but even if you won't do that, someone's gonna do that to him because that's how it is.

I guess telling him your plan and approval is one way of showing that you respect the guy and make him prepare for what to do. Good luck!

6/2/23       #16: Business Opportunity ...
Glen

Don't knock the old folks. I bought a 20 year old custom furniture biz 21 years ago. Came from President of a marketing company with 156 employees. I do everything other than communication with paper work orders and invoices. My wife died last year and I am 73 so I will sell the biz for less than value by the end of the year. I don;t work over 35 hours a week and make a 25% gross with no debt at all. You should keep looking until you find an old owner like me that has a good business that will yield a $150000 a year owners benefit so you don't have to fix anything. I am sure with all us old guys hanging it up you can find something in your area. Good luck.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors
    • OMEC/Macoser Inc
      Exclusive Importer of European Woodworking Machinery Since 1988
    • WoodJobs.com Search Consultants
      Free Employment Service for Woodworking Related Job Seekers
    • TradeJobPlacement.com
      Individualized Placement Services, Specializing in Millwork Design Engineers
    • Better Vacuum Cups, Inc.
      Vacuum Cups for All CNC Routers As Well As Many After Market Parts for Your CNC
    • Machine Bid
      Online auction site for buying and selling high-quality machinery. We offer a secure, online bidding platform, featuring CNC routers, Edgebanders, Sanders, and much more; new equipment added daily
    • Impact Search and Placement
      Professional Employment Recruiting Specialists
    • Parts Cutter CNC
      CNC Cabinetry and Closet Parts
    • Vexor Custom Woodworking Tools, Inc.
      Custom and Standard Router Bits, Shaper Cutters, Profile Knives, Multi Profile Insert Tooling and More
    • TradeSoft
      Seamless Management Software to Improve Estimating, Job Costing, Scheduling, Purchasing, Shipping, and Shop Floor Data Collection
    • Rangate
      Woodworking Machinery, Supplies and Knowledge
    • Air Handling Systems
      Your Best Source for Dust and Fume Collection
    • NEMI
      Products For CNC Machines - Digitizers, Tool Setters, Vacuum Pods, Vacuum Cups, Vacuum Tables, Vacuum Chucks and Software
    • INNERGY
      INNERGY is the ERP for woodworkers, by woodworkers. We are birth to death millwork.

Become a Sponsor today!