Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Shop rate, calculating, again?

8/7/23       
Correy

Hi guys I know this has been beaten into the ground on other threads. I can skip over the simple overhead / annual hours = hourly. I know what my rent , electric and salary is. Hourly only based on these numbers is easy.

My questions here , hoping for discussions, is more about how to charge for your investment into your shop.
For instance, my space and utilities is $15/hr. easy to calculate..
What about hourly compensation for a shop full of gear?
I have large "class" or near class level machines, forklift, DC infrastructure, then you have all the investment into fixtures, shelving, storage cabinets etc, etc, 10's of thousands into hand tools electric and non powered, blades, etc, you guys know what I mean.

The best I can come to is look at what a lease agreement is for , for example, a 24" planer, they often market these to buyers in terms such as " $3.68 per hour" I have 5 machines that fit this category, 6 if you include the forklift. 6x$3.50 = $21/hr
So the question would then be do you charge only $3.50/hr for the machine you are using at the moment or are you charging the $21hr because during your labor you have the entire shop available to use for a given project? Does that make sense?

I also have some questions about tooling costs broken down to hourly. Some things are easy, like a typical carbide shaper knives can produce approx 3000 linear feet under certain conditions, all variable of course. So that is an easy tooling cost. So, how about a set of $750 Tersa knives in a planer? How do you figure tooling cost if your doing runs smaller than the life span of a knife and when it's near impossibe to track how many linear feet travel thru the machine because of variables like inability to use the full width of knife consistently like a moulder knife?

for planing, I figure at best you can use 25% of width capacity of a large planer, without figuring in specifics. For instance if surfacing 1x6 your never really going to get that 4th 1x6 in the machine consistently. Or you have a 1x8 and a 1x10, etc... at 15fpm you could theoretically feed 900fph. With my DC capacity and often working alone I think I am more in the 500~600 linear feet per hour. Using 75% of a 24" planer = approx 850 square feet surfaced per hour.

Tersa planer knives $750 /2=$375 per edge of double knifes / 24 inches width= $15.63 per inch of width capacity / 3000 lnft ( expected life capacity of carbide = $.00521 per linear ft per 1" length of knife ( x12" width is $.06252 per square ft) x 18" (actual feed width capacity) = $.0937 per 1.5' square ft milled x 550 ( hrly projected linear feed rate) = $51.53 per hour tooling??? The numbers seem correct I can run them back and forth and get my start number and end number.

About 6 years ago I drastically increased my rates for millwork. Because of all this investment and consumable costs. I actually have reached the point where many people baulk at the rate. I mean $125/hr seems like a lot for milling some 1x8 that fit in a 12" lunch box planer. Though I am unsure if they understand how expensive tooling is for running hardwood in cheap machines.I never really ran the planer tooling cost like I did above. Do you think the logic is correct?

Thanks for your thoughts!

8/7/23       #2: Shop rate, calculating, again? ...
Correy

Correction: In the fifth paragraph of my post I stated "for planing, I figure at best you can use 25% of width capacity of a large planer"
I meant that at best your going to use about 75% of width capacity , depending of course.... sorry for the typo

I tried to edit the original post but seems WW doesn't recognize me as logged in when I have logged in. I , months ago sent a note to Admin , they acknowledged the problem but no fix yet.....

8/7/23       #4: Shop rate, calculating, again? ...
RichC

The value of the machinery is written off on your taxes and through a depreciation schedule. Adding the machinery value to your overhead is doubling the price of your investment. I charge for the price of tooling in each job. I don't add it as part of my overhead. Especially custom tooling is written off on each job. People have complained about paying for the custom knives for their job. I tell them they can take them home with them, because I never know when I will use it again. Only had one nit picker do it. Google is awash with articles showing you step by step.
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/determine-overhead-labor-rate-62738.html
https://www.freshbooks.com/hub/accounting/calculate-overhead-cost#:~:text=The%20ov
erhead%20rate%20or%20the,costs%20and%20multiply%20by%20100.

https://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Calculating_a_Shop_Rate.html

8/8/23       #5: Shop rate, calculating, again? ...
Correy

I am unsure about your statement that you don't add your machine and infrastructure into your hourly rate. I mean why is my excavator guy charging me $200 per hour when he could just depreciate the machine cost and only charge me $100?
Thanks for the link but it didn't directly address this issue. I do , like you, charge of course for any custom tooling for jobs. But that doesn't really address consumable tooling that is not custom, i.e. planer/jointer blades.
Most other tooling in the shop is so cheap it would be hard to track and is easiest to toss in with annual over head, like circular blade sharpening, bandsaw blades, etc... let's say that's $1k per year, that's easy. It's the larger ticket items like a set of carbide tersa that unless your doing large millwork jobs that eat up 50% or 100% set of knives at a time that become hard to track. That why I tried to come up with a number for cost per square ft. of surfacing, tooling cost only. Electric is affected by milling. I can look at my planer 10KW and know that at a running working 6~7KW @ $.56/KW it's costing $4/hr for the planer and probably another $1.25 for the DC.
I am just trying to find a fair price for millwork.
If your not including in your hourly rate a bit for machines then where is the money coming from when you need to replace them ? The IRS? Machinery has gone up nearly 50% in the last 5 years. That needs to be accounted for as well.
And no I didn't find anywhere in the knowledge base anything that directly responds to these questions...

8/8/23       #6: Shop rate, calculating, again? ...
RichC

Where did I say anything about infrastructure? As far as machinery depreciation. You buy a machine for your company, not particularly for a specific job. At the end of the year you add that machine to your depreciation schedule and it comes off your profit for the year and for years to come, not paid for on a single job or overhead.

8/8/23       #7: Shop rate, calculating, again? ...
RichC

I strongly suggest you talk to an accountant.

8/8/23       #8: Shop rate, calculating, again? ...
RichC

Or take a couple of small business classes at a community college.

8/8/23       #9: Shop rate, calculating, again? ...
Correy

Some how that is mystifying....
None of your hourly is related to the investment you made into your shop acquisitions?? How is this possible? Every service seems priced to reflect the cost of the gear that is being used for the service. Dump trucks to boom trucks and countless other services are all hourly based upon capacity. Different tasks in the shop are usually billed differently. i.e. bench labor , machine labor.
I get that it lessens your tax liability over the 5 year spread. But how are you figuring the value of your machinery in use on top of your fixed cost that are in the least, lease, utilities, insurance, and your salary. If I only generated my hourly based on that, where does all the money come from for all the big machines?? The depreciation is just tax credit. Doesn't it just mean your not paying taxes on your machine purchase, but they force you to drag it out over 5 years? It doesn't make it a free machine.
Do you get what I'm getting at?

8/9/23       #10: Shop rate, calculating, again? ...
RichC

We could chat back and forth for weeks at a paragraph at a time. Buy text books or speak to a professional. There must be 20 pages of links on Google when you ask for calculation shop overhead calculations. I'm no accountant, and I was just a fare businessman. I'm not a bookkeeping teacher.

8/9/23       #11: Shop rate, calculating, again? ...
Quicktrim

You should charge as much as you can and still keep enough work coming in the door.

All pricing is based on supply and demand. It makes no difference your investment. This is why real estate has doubled in the last five years. Low supply high demand and wads of cash for people to spend from PPE money stimulus etc..

Price as high as you can and drop prices if you stop having enough work . You made a huge investment like we all did on getting your shop up. Your experience is worth more than the machines. If your shop disappeared tomorrow it's your knowledge that would build back the business not the machines .

Don't show your prices by the hour even if that's how you calculate it so customers can't tell what your rate is use another metric .

8/10/23       #12: Shop rate, calculating, again? ...
Correy

honestly Quick trim, that is probably the most relevant of any formula. Ultimately we can only charge what the market will bear. And the only rational one. It is also a formula that quickly decides weather you can actually make it fly at all. LOL
.I know I charge the top end of what my market will bear. I keep it pretty niche so there's not a lot of options when someone wants what I do in my area. Just for my own sake I wanted a way to figure what I need before profit to cover my machine use. I know I make more than whatever figure that comes to. But in general would your hourly rate reflect the whole stable of machines and investment or only the machine used for a specific billable task. I know this still falls into what the market will bear. But getting to this number would show a forecasted profit margin more clearly for hourly machine work? Using Depreciation as a guide, some businesses are told by accountants to retool every 5 years, it seems you would divide the cost of a machine then by 5 and add that into your annual fixed cost. Of course claiming the sale of the old machine if not decommissioned. The business should be buying the machine not the owner out of pocket. And somehow I think if it was expected that you cover everything with profit there literally wouldn't be any profit. I include scheduled maintenance into my annual fixed costs. Regardless of what the market will bear it would be good to know what the business needs for the use of a machine, so when a machine needs to be replaced or and upgrade needs to happen the machine has paid for itself.
Some of the shop rates in CA used to really blow me away. I heard that millwork was up to $200/hr for simple thicknessing. Until I wrote it out in the first post it never sunk in how much a planer could cost per hour. In theory you could burn $50/hr in tooling especially if you had someone catching and stacking. Add your hourly and millwork, for less that $125 seems silly (in my area). $175 if with second guy.

8/10/23       #13: Shop rate, calculating, again? ...
Quicktrim

I agree it's a worthy exercise, calculating actual cost with margin . But it doesn't always translate into the real world.

I was talking to the architect today on a custom feature wall that we were installing and they said they had told the customer that the said wall would run 30,000.00 .

I was at 17,000.00 and 5000 for c tops so about 8,000.00 less than the architect expected.

Job before that Did for 62,000.00 , a lot of what was dictated by the GC and I went along with it . Long story short I had it priced by two other shops in my area because it didn't seem right . They came in at 135,000.00 and 126,500.00

Them I realized that I was undercharging even though I was able to stay in business with those prices . I base pricing at 125.00 hour for shop work and 95.00 for install hours . Denver Metro , so I think as you build your network and experience base you make more on that then the machines you have , basically I believe it is more your experience and ability that dictates price than the machines you have so price should be based on ability , not machines . The machines are just a means to an end .

I have the exact same spray booth as the guy down the street , we can perform the custom bleached walnut kitchen the designer wants , therefore we can sell a kitchen for 150k whole the other guy does painted for 65k experience trumps machinery every time .

Have a great day , I respect everyone that achieves greatness on this trade , the skill is hard earned.

8/10/23       #14: Shop rate, calculating, again? ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

Am I weird? I buy equipment so I can charge less, not more.

If I purchase something it's usually so I can be more efficient, or to step up quality (which is kinda the same thing)

If you're basing your shop rate off equipment, what do you charge for idle equipment? Some stuff gets used daily, I've got shapers that don't get turned on for months at a time. CNC hasn't been kicked on this week.

Another line of thought I have, that might not make sense. I paid for the first one, the customer pays for the next one. That tool will only do so many operations before it's upkeep exceeds it's value and it'll need to be replaced. Every single job needs to have a little tucked away for that day.

I also don't really have a shop rate either, if something is wonky, and I don't have a price for it. I take a edumicated guess at how long it'll take, and silly $200/hr to it. But, I can get a lot done in an hour. 15 years ago, I would've felt guilty charging $25 an hour because of what actually got done in that hour

Quicktrim nailed it though. Charge what you can.

8/10/23       #15: Shop rate, calculating, again? ...
RichC

Machinery is a capital investment, not overhead.

8/10/23       #16: Shop rate, calculating, again? ...
Correy

Hi Karl. Agreed.
If I was creating a product that had to compete with another product, locally available, of a similar quality, yes, a machine investment would be intended to reduce cost so that you could get a competitive edge on the competition. This will be true for any product manufacture.
Different is charging by the hour for services.
Smaller businesses will look to the big guys and match them because they have little to no overhead and they can always take less. It's pretty busy here. The cabinet shop down the street is always 6 to 8 months out with 12 guys making basically a very typical "cabinet". Markets like that are a boon to the small shop sole props.
When your selling a service it's different than selling a product. Yes , it's what the market will bear. But if you were starting a brand new biz, service oriented, billed hourly, you would need to come to a number that represented an hourly rate that paid for your investment with profit on top. Only then can we see if the market will bear the rate. I think the big distinguishing aspects is one is a product and one is a service billed hourly. You might find investing in a business type in your area won't support the hourly you need.
At the end of a day, my quotes are generated from an estimate of my hourly rate plus materials ++. I don't care what the guy down the street is doing. He doesn't do what I do and I don't do what he does.

8/11/23       #17: Shop rate, calculating, again? ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

If you can work T+M, more power to you. I have to create set numbers so a budget can be created and adhered to

8/11/23       #18: Shop rate, calculating, again? ...
RichC

There has never been a woodworker that started a business thinking he wasn't special and the most talented woodworker in his region. And with that knowledge, why couldn't he make a great living? That's good because it means there is a passion. But marketing and selling that impression to new customers from a new business is expensive and often not successful for years. That's why you need at least a year or two of financing in the bank to start.

8/12/23       #19: Shop rate, calculating, again? ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

"I mean why is my excavator guy charging me $200 per hour when he could just depreciate the machine cost and only charge me $100?"

Because in one scoop, you can't fit enough shovels and bodies in the hole to accomplish what he does. If you spread them out, so they aren't on top of one another, and you have ten people with shovels costing $20/hour, you still aren't going to accomplish what the hoe is in productivity.

Take away the shovels, the discrepancy makes the hydraulic option even more of a bargain.

It's really good to know and think about your inputs, and how they affect your bottom line, but my opinion is your thinking and approach to a pricing structure is flawed. The end goal can be achieved a lot of different ways in this business. If you need a rip from a board, you can cut it with a handsaw, or you can do it with a gang rip. The gang rip cost you a lot more than the handsaw, but the customer doesn't care. The sharp handsaw in the right hands takes minutes. The gang rip makes three or four of those cuts in seven seconds.

Those capital investments to improve your process are made under two conditions.
1. You can justify the risk and interest and you borrow to acquire equipment.
2. There is adequate capital in the war chest you can pay cash and offset income.

Something to think about though, idle equipment still has a cost. You're paying for floor space, you're paying to light that floor space, you're paying taxes on that floor space, and you're paying to heat and cool that floor space.

That is overhead. Most of us are probably in a similar boat, where the majority of the equipment we have sits idle because we don't have full blown factories where there's a man at every piece, and they run continuously.

8/23/23       #21: Shop rate, calculating, again? ...
David B  Member

Without disagreeing with anything previously said, I would add the opportunity cost of your overall investment as part of your overhead. If you have $250K tied up in your operation, that is money that could have been invested in index funds, other companies, real estate, or who knows where, and in each of those cases you would expect a reasonable if not healthy return on your investment. At a minimum I would allocate 5% per year as an overhead cost to compensate you for that investment, and ideally another 5% into a replacement fund as everything in your current operation will most likely need to be replaced at some point. You could argue that your use of the money represents a higher risk than some of those other options and so should justify a higher rate of return.

As far as wear and tear, I would add the cost of planer blades into the same category as sandpaper and screws, and look at the total cost of those consumable items as a percentage of the total cost of direct materials each year. For me it was usually around 14-15%. I would add that percentage to the direct cost of materials when estimating a job.

This says nothing about how much you can or should charge for your experience and your expertise, but it might answer your question about how to account for those "expenses". Keep in mind I'm not an accountant or a lawyer either so take it for what it's worth.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors
    • Air Handling Systems
      Your Best Source for Dust and Fume Collection
    • OMEC/Macoser Inc
      Exclusive Importer of European Woodworking Machinery Since 1988
    • NEMI
      Products For CNC Machines - Digitizers, Tool Setters, Vacuum Pods, Vacuum Cups, Vacuum Tables, Vacuum Chucks and Software
    • Rangate
      Woodworking Machinery, Supplies and Knowledge
    • Better Vacuum Cups, Inc.
      Vacuum Cups for All CNC Routers As Well As Many After Market Parts for Your CNC
    • Parts Cutter CNC
      CNC Cabinetry and Closet Parts
    • Cabinetshop Maestro
      Web-Based Project Management Software for Custom Cabinet Shops - Manage Jobs from Prospect to Punchlist Through Scheduling, Task Management, Time Tracking and Communication
    • Machine Bid
      Online auction site for buying and selling high-quality machinery. We offer a secure, online bidding platform, featuring CNC routers, Edgebanders, Sanders, and much more; new equipment added daily
    • INNERGY
      INNERGY is the ERP for woodworkers, by woodworkers. We are birth to death millwork.
    • Impact Search and Placement
      Professional Employment Recruiting Specialists
    • WoodJobs.com Search Consultants
      Free Employment Service for Woodworking Related Job Seekers
    • ULTI-BOARD
      The Ultimate Spoilboard - ULTI-BOARD - Specifically Engineered and Formulated for the Ultimate in Spoilboard Performance - Not Your Ordinary Sheet of MDF.
    • TradeSoft
      Seamless Management Software to Improve Estimating, Job Costing, Scheduling, Purchasing, Shipping, and Shop Floor Data Collection

Become a Sponsor today!