Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Line boring or CNC boring

3/22/18       
Brian Thomsen Member

I really need to speed up my boring process. I’ve been using the festool lr32. It works. But not for what I need, now that business has increased for me. It doesn’t do any construction boring either.

Would the time savings for a $70,000 cnc boring machine justify the expense for a one man shop? It would be nice to throw 32mm out the window, and have all boring, dadoes, confirmat boring done perfectly in one single step after the panel saw and edgbander.

Or, I can spend much much less on a line boring machine. What are all yalls thoughts?

3/22/18       #3: Line boring or CNC boring ...
Ryan

If you are willing to spend $70,000 on a CNC, as a one man shop why would you cut parts on a panel saw. Let the CNC cut the parts and do all of the other drilling and dados all at once. While the machine is running you could be edge banding the parts that have already come off the machine while the next sheet is running.

3/22/18       #4: Line boring or CNC boring ...
Paul Miller

Ryan is right. Get a machine that can handle a 5 x 9 sheet with a tool changer and it will drill your holes, route your groove for your back and then cut out the part. I'm pretty sure you can get this for under $70,000. But, add in electric, vacuum hold down and dust collection and you are probably close to $70,000.

There will be a lot to learn, but it will be worth it. Within a year, it will be the most valuable tool in your shop.

Start doing your home work, ask around with other shop owners, learn what different machines can do, see some in action. Usually sales reps can get you into shops.

Good luck

3/23/18       #5: Line boring or CNC boring ...
james e mcgrew Member

I was in the same situation in 07, not sure of current pricing but my ATC 508 was in the 40s with a 25hp vac, I added the Dust collector yet we cut 30-50 sheets a day ready for the edgebander

View higher quality, full size image (2320 X 1305)

http://mcgrewwoodwork.com

3/23/18       #6: Line boring or CNC boring ...
Chris H

Website: http://www.csaw.com/lamello/lamello-system/lamello...

Just throwing this out there for consideration. As you look into all your options at this stage of your business, the Lamello Cabineo connector allows for secure, one piece fastening while also aligning all cabinet components - all processed on even the simplest CNC router. No need to purchase an edge-boring or case clamping system. Let us know if you have any questions.

3/23/18       #7: Line boring or CNC boring ...
Scott

It all comes down to the money!
Like others said the cnc is for sure the way to go, but it is a lot of money to get the machine, software and get it all hooked up, but it will run like a top and crank out everything you need.
If you don't want to spend that kind of money there are a lot of boring machines out there, you could probably find a great used one for $3000-7000 mark, some brand names to look for are SCM, Minimax, Gannomat, Maggi, etc. I would recommend one with a tilting head and then you can also drill horizontal. Some of the ones that work like a drill press will also work, they are a lot cheaper, but are slower and not as accurate, and have limitations in my opinion.

3/23/18       #8: Line boring or CNC boring ...
rich c.

Don't forget, a $70,000 cnc will become a $90,000+ work cell with software, tooling, vacuum pump, air compressor, and dust collector upgrade. For a one man shop, you better look at current production, future production, and outsourcing before making that kind of investment. If you don't have to do a lease or get a loan, the numbers will sure look better. If I was a one man shop again, I'd outsource everything. Fixed cost, estimating is a breeze, and production will go way up!

3/24/18       #9: Line boring or CNC boring ...
JM

For a one man shop, I dont think you need to spend anywhere near $70k.

I bet you can get your feet wet for about half that for a decent router such as a camaster. Just make sure to get something with a tool changer and as much vacuum as you can afford. According to Camaster website, a Panther 4x8 starts at $21k. Add ATC and vacuum and i bet you are in the $30k range. This is plenty machine for a 1 man shop.

3/24/18       #10: Line boring or CNC boring ...
Mark B Member

Great info in this thread. We were in a similar situation as you with a slightly larger shop.

I would completely agree to evaluate your current production numbers and what you feel you can do with increased production.

Two years ago we brought in a CNC and the numbers tossed around here were what we had in mind however they didnt turn out to be completely accurate and a tremendous amount depends on your current shop and equipment. We for instance had no intention of investing in a $70K machine (purchasing new not used). I would disagree completely with buying a light $20K base line machine if your talking about any volume of production (several hours per day and several days per week). I think at that level you will soon find yourself wishing youd invested in a more robust machine and either living with a less than adequate machine or having to deal with selling, swapping, and upgrading. We went with a machine in the $50K class (10HP spindle minimum, and all the tool changer you can afford would be my advice). We wanted a domestic machine with heavy steel construction and went with ShopSabre and couldnt be happier with zero issues in 2 years of heavy use. The machine is exactly in the sweet spot in Pauls post at 60x100. The 60" would be the minimum for us. A 10' machine would be nice but we havent found ourselves needing the extra length.

We opted to upgrade our air and run a dedicated collector for the CNC so our total outlay with the CNC, air, refrigerated dryer, filter, electric feed to the CNC, an moving an existing cyclone over to the CNC, sofware, and an initial tooling budget, as well as a good bit extra cushion for initial operating, was about $75K total.

If we opted not to upgrade air, or didnt run DC the way we did, we could have easily lopped 10k off that number. Eliminate the cushion and a bunch of other gee gaws we tossed in would chop it even further.

Its a monster investment for a small shop and I dont know how varied your work is (ours is extremely varied) but when you get to thinking outside the box with the capacity of CNC its impressive the non-standard things you can shift to the cnc and drastically increase productivity. If your primary work is going to be fine with less expensive, dedicated boring, that would likely be the best route.

While Im not sure the Cabineo is an across the board production solution, we have now done several jobs using them and they are a really impressive little RTA fastener. We literally just shipped a job with them this week. I dont think they will replace boring and case clamps but they make very nice cabinet and are surprisingly strong. We did a destructive test on a box when we initially brought them in and they are now our go-to knock down fastener. The single face machining is great and ripping fast. They are great for field assembly or by the end user.

3/24/18       #11: Line boring or CNC boring ...
james e mcgrew Member

I would look at panther, or elite series machines, the Elite is the Cobra on steroids,

Like any good size purchase a CNC adds a learning curve that while seeming confusing is not impossible, I admin the the camheads forum for the thousands of CAMaster owners, i do this as an owner to provide peer to peer support to all owners, this has lead to hundreds of owners online at any given time to assist a new owner or an seasoned one. check out CAMheads it can be an asset in your search

http://www.camaster.com/cnc-routers/

http://camheads.org

3/24/18       #12: Line boring or CNC boring ...
Brian Thomsen Member

Thanks all for your time and advise.

3/24/18       #13: Line boring or CNC boring ...
Paul Miller

This really is a good post. All of the comments are valid. It is a big investment for a small shop, but, these machines can do a lot more than cut cabinet parts.

Do you do counter tops? My router has a digitizer feature. I can make a simple template, digitize it on my router, download it to my computer, download a DXF file from the sink manufacturer, position it on my drawing and when I feed it out to my table, it will cut the sink hole in about 15 seconds.

Or, how about doing signs for sign companies? We route signs from DXF files sent to us on line from sign companies. Not s big money maker. We charge $90 an hour with a minimum charge of $70. Usually it is so fast, that the bill is only $70. It's a service and they don't have to have a router.

I can't and won't tell you all the things I do with my router. Some of this you have to figure out for your self. But, if you are a woodworker and you love the creative aspect of woodworking, you will love a router.

3/24/18       #14: Line boring or CNC boring ...
MarkB Member

I will advise you to be wary of any machine specific forum because you will get, and will only get, biased input. Anything posted with regards to any other manufacturer whether it be generic or machine specific will likely be edited or more than likely deleted all together.

You chose the right place to ask for unbiased and open input. You'll get nothing but honest input on non machine specific sites.

Good luck. Its a lot to take in.

3/24/18       #15: Line boring or CNC boring ...
james e mcgrew Member

Mark is right that a machine specific forum is there to support its owners, However both Shopbot and Camheads allow anyone to join and bring something to the table, we figured if a topic came in to further the use by a member then that is all good, We do not let anyone trash talk or let other machines get discussed No,

But to say are these forums biased in the love of our machines well then "O Heck Yea" ! Don't rule out any good information from any source.

It has been my experience that unless you are the down the street competition most any cnc owner will be glad to let you visit and show off his machine, I have found that most of Us are still pretty amazed we figured these things out, Go see machines, go see the Factories where they are built, make some friends, those are the guys you will need on a saturday afternoon when you are trying to work the machine and need help, as the question will they answer the phone and will they charge you for that, We found a way to make that call.

3/25/18       #16: Line boring or CNC boring ...
Kip

ShopBot is awesome! I’m a one man shop, been in business 20 years. Owned a ShopBot for the last 14. Best business decision ever. Are there better CBC machines out there? Absolutely, but none better for guys like me. I have literally spent less than $1000.00 on maintenance for my ShopBot since 2004. Can’t beat ‘em

3/27/18       #17: Line boring or CNC boring ...
Derrek

Dont forget to look at used market. I sold my Biesse Rover B with a 4x10 flat table that was in good running condition for qbout 20k including a new becker pump.
CNC does have a learning curve as it is software driven.
If your just looking for better faster line boring, get a dbl row machine. Years ago I bought a Maggi for about 7500 and it worked great. Dont waste your time looking at a used line bore rig unless you can see it up and running.

4/2/18       #18: Line boring or CNC boring ...
Rob Young  Member

If you're doing dado construction I would definitely look into a nested CNC. You can reduce your board handling that way. If you prefer to edgeband first then yes, It's worth the money to process panels on point to point feed through machine. The floor plan for a small shop is ideal.

5/17/21       #19: Line boring or CNC boring ...
FORSUN CNC Member

CNC router machine is a CNC tool that can create objects from wood. They are widely used in the furniture industry, wooden industrial product industry, mold industry, and musical instrument industry. Whether you want to produce a wooden cabinet, guitar musical instruments, or woodcraft, FORSUN CNC machines will never let you down.

View larger image

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • TradeJobPlacement.com
      Individualized Placement Services, Specializing in Millwork Design Engineers
    • Country Saw & Knife
      Complete Sharpening Services for Wood and Metal Saw Blades, Jointer Knives, and Bandsaw Blades
    • WalzCraft
      Custom Doors and Wood Products
    • TradeSoft
      Seamless Management Software to Improve Estimating, Job Costing, Scheduling, Purchasing, Shipping, and Shop Floor Data Collection
    • Weinig Group-USA
      Wood Moulders and Knife Grinding Equipment
    • GreCon
      Spark Detection and Extinguishment Systems and Quality Assurance Measuring Equipment
    • Vexor Custom Woodworking Tools, Inc.
      Custom and Standard Router Bits, Shaper Cutters, Profile Knives, Multi Profile Insert Tooling and More
    • Shop Gear Inc.
      Distributor of Co-matic Power Feeders, Le-matic Portable Edgebanders, and Supplier of Woodworking Machinery, Tooling and Accessories in North America
    • Cabinetshop Maestro
      Web-Based Project Management Software for Custom Cabinet Shops - Manage Jobs from Prospect to Punchlist Through Scheduling, Task Management, Time Tracking and Communication
    • Vacuum Pressing Systems, Inc.
      Vacuum Pressing Equipment - Including Bag and Frame Systems
    • American National Knife
      Manufacturer of HSS and Carbide Tipped Woodworking Knife Sets for Planers, Jointers, Molders, Shapers
    • Safety Speed Manufacturing
      Economical Vertical Panel Saws, Panel Routers, Edgebanders and Widebelt Sanders
    • OMEC/Macoser Inc
      Exclusive Importer of European Woodworking Machinery Since 1988

Become a Sponsor today!