Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Dedicated Shaper Advice

12/20/20       
Drew Z

Hi all,

Long story short I want to know what others would do if they were to keep a dedicated shaper in their shop for one operation? I am a one man shop, 3/4 of my work is custom inset face frame cabinetry (the other 1/4 being furniture).

I have a 1.25" spindle Martin shaper for any door and panel work but I also have an old but serviceable .5" spindle shaper I fell when someone retired last spring. I have collars to use larger bore cutters on the .5" machine but as a one man shop I don't gain much efficiency to set both machines up to cope and stick in tandem. I'm only ever operating one machine at a time. As a result I'd like to keep the .5" spindle machine set up for a specific task at all times.

My general workflow building cabinets is:
Cut plywood panels on the slider
Edge rabbet all parts on cabinet saw that always has a dado stack in it
Dado for any dividers on cabinet saw
Assemble cabinets
Build and attached face frames
Build and hang doors, side panels, drawer fronts, etc

The .5" spindle shaper does not have an adjustable fence so all adjustment is made slowly and then the shop made fence is re-clamped in place. I don't use it at all now but would like to get some use out of it since I can't seem to get rid of it. It's in rough shape cosmetically (rusted at the floor, melamine was added on top of the table at some point in the past). If it's going to be taking up a few square feet in the shop, I might as well get use out of it.

If you were a small operation and were to keep a dedicated shaper set up what would it be for?

Am I overthinking this and should just set it up for all my edge rabbeting?

12/20/20       #2: Dedicated Shaper Advice ...
Tom Gardiner

It probably doesn't have the power or rigidity to do any door work consistently. You could put on a power feed and back fence to accurately machine the face frame width if you leave a small enough machining allowance.

12/20/20       #3: Dedicated Shaper Advice ...
Dustin orth

You need to look at your processes and decide if a shaper set up all the time for one operation can occupy floorspace versus the setup time on that big Martin. If you can do changeovers really quick and accurately on the Martin, would you be better served by that open floor space for another cabinet ready to go or a different machine for a dedicated process.
I know for my last cabinet shop, I had 5 shapers and only one was not a dedicated setup. Stick, cope, drawer bottom groove, drawer box notching all were dedicated. I had a big tilting spindle for doing all panel raising and any odd ball stuff due to being able to set it up quick.

12/21/20       #4: Dedicated Shaper Advice ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

Walking up and turning on a machine ready use is awesome.

Paying for floor space is not.

I have eight....
Two coping.
One we use for a weird shelf joint.
One Panel raiser.
One for sticking cut that also does sizing.
An old Rockwell that notches drawer boxes
A spare that sits with an empty spindle for the weird.
And a L'invincivile sitting on the shelf waiting for some love. The wiring scares me.

A NC controlled shaper with an hsk spindle would be the dream setup for a one man shop in my opinion. Though I don't trust the longevity of the widgetry

12/21/20       #5: Dedicated Shaper Advice ...
Jack Mazzuchelli  Member

I presume you break edges with a router bit, i use 1/8 round over bit. I setup a router table dedicated to this and might setup that 1/2 shaper for the same duty. Door edges, drawer boxes etc etc

12/21/20       #6: Dedicated Shaper Advice ...
Mark B Member

Im sure your question pertains to day to day work in a modest shop. I love the idea of having a bunch of monsters in a pheomenally equipped shop (in which case it may likely no longer be a shaper shop other than for short runs/one-of's) . I wouldnt hesitate to dedicate a, or a few, imports if you to land on some dirt cheap turn key euro machines or have the time to fuss with anyting other than turn key. Boat loads of shops are running on imports or weavers. Pick your post painful operation and go from there.

I wish we had the space, the time look for and setup, and the demand, for a brick of heavy euro machines but we dont. CNC changeover if the demand is fixed enough that the machine can support it would be great but id guess that'll be a never in my world. No will having a rack of fully populated spindle cartridges for rapid swaps.

If your in the setting up tooling for varied op's world I wouldnt worry about dropping a single or a few pretty basic shapers on the floor. Our runout has alwyay held in the .001 or less range.

12/21/20       #7: Dedicated Shaper Advice ...
Leo G Member

In general if you make doors and don't have 3 shapers you are wasting a lot of time. I have 3, love to have the forth for other tasks. I break down the panel shaper because it's the easiest to set back up again.

Just like me having 7 routers that I leave the most useful bits in at all times. Go over to the drawer and pick up the router of choice, use it, put it back. I'd like to get 3 more.

12/21/20       #8: Dedicated Shaper Advice ...
Scott

It is my experience that small shops generally are not into large production runs and the other problem for small shops is space.

I can make doors with one shaper no problem, I have 2, but have figured out quick ways to change cutters and set them up.

As for routers it takes a couple minutes to change a bit so having a fleet of them to me is a huge waste of space. I have a router lift that is easily adjusted for running pieces through. The only routers I have dedicated are a couple laminate trimmers for working with plastic laminate.

I would have to agree with Karl, the ultimate would be a single controlled shaper with multiple spindles.

Your small shaper with 1/2 inch spindle could be used for breaking corners, or some small cutters for mouldings. If it was me I would sell it and look for a shaper with a little more power and a 1 1/4 spindle, that way you can use the same cutters on both machines and there is a lot more selection of 1 1/4 inch cutters out there, you can also get some fantastic deals on used cutters.

12/22/20       #9: Dedicated Shaper Advice ...
D Brown

As a one man shop I have had 4 or 5 shapers set up for various tasks. Stile and rail , raised panels one for edge details and one with a power feed for moldings and such. The machines are like employees except they are always there. When making cope and stick doors and you need one more part it is so easy.

More cutters set up can increase your production time easily.

12/22/20       #10: Dedicated Shaper Advice ...
Drew Z

Thanks for the replies all. Some good ideas here. Scott you are correct - I am not in production mode at all. As a result maybe it doesn't make sense to keep the dedicated floor space for a single-operation machine given that an extra few minutes to set up another machine to do the same thing does not break my business model. As you said Karl it's great to have the machine set up for a purpose but paying for the floorspace is less enjoyable. I will keep trying to sell the machine, I think.

12/22/20       #11: Dedicated Shaper Advice ...
Leo G Member

3HP shaper on wheels that gets tucked into a corner when not in use. For the most part 3HP will take care of a lot of duties.

12/22/20       #12: Dedicated Shaper Advice ...
William Baynham Member

If you are doing any beaded inset face frames? A small dedicated shaper with a mini power feeder on edge as a dedicated set up is a big help with beaded frames. You are probably not going to get a lot of money by selling the shaper. They are kind of like routers the more you have the better.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • Vexor Custom Woodworking Tools, Inc.
      Custom and Standard Router Bits, Shaper Cutters, Profile Knives, Multi Profile Insert Tooling and More
    • Air Handling Systems
      Your Best Source for Dust and Fume Collection
    • KCD Software
      Powerful 3D Cabinet/Closet Design Software with Built-In Touchscreen Mode for Mobile Use with Best Production Practices Including Direct to Cut List, Cabinotch and/or CNC Machining
    • Denray Machine
      Quality Dust Filtration Systems Provided by an Industry Leader in Wood, Metal, and Many Other Dust Control Applications
    • TotalFinishingSUPPLIES.com
      Solutions and supplies from spray tips to spray booths for all your woodworking needs
    • MachineryMax
      New and Used Machinery for the Professional Woodworker
    • Simantech
      New & Used Machinery, Supplies, Tooling, Parts, and Abrasive Products
    • Industrial CNC
      Affordable, Easy, Industrial Grade CNC Routers for Woodworking and Cabinetmaking - Free Lifetime Support
    • Excel Dowel and Wood Products Inc.
      Plain and Pre-glued Dowel Pins, and Wood Parts - Servicing Small Hobby Shops to Large OEM's
    • Western Dovetail
      Custom Made Dovetail Drawers
    • Felder USA
      High Quality Woodworking Machines and Tools
    • Holz-Her US Inc.
      Custom Edgebanders, Vertical Panel Saws, CNC Beam Saws, Wide Belt Sanders, CNC Point to Point Boring Machines, CNC Routers
    • Scarlett Machinery Inc.
      New and Used CNC Routers and Used Woodworking Machinery, for Operations Ranging From Small Woodworking Shops to Large Progressive Manufacturing Plants

Become a Sponsor today!