Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

shelf span

9/19/21       
Chris

I have a job that I will be building a set of built ins next to a fireplace. There is 50" on each side. Question is when I do my shelving if I double layer & glue my plywood will it still be to wide for no center support? Once I get it built the shelves will be approx. 47" to 48" wide. I hate to put a center support in the middle. Thanks

9/19/21       #2: shelf span ...
Adam Spees

Do they have to be stiff enough to support books?

The one thing that is rarely brought up is a solid wood shelf. You can put a ridiculous amount of weight on a 1" x 10-12" x 48" piece of solid maple or 1 1/2" pine(try standing on 2 x12 x 4' framing lumber)

We typically glue two pieces of maple plywood together and then glue on a solid piece of maple front or front & back. The timber on edge increases the stiffness big time.

Now that ply is so expensive, I would seriously consider solid. By the time you chop up plywood glue it together, mill up some 3/4 x 1 1/2 glue that on. Spend a ton of time filling glue joints and nail holes. You might as well glue two pieces of wood together and mill them to size.

9/19/21       #3: shelf span ...
Chris

Yes Adam I see your point. but then I would have the seam of the 2 pieces of 3/4" glued together showing. I just watched a video on Utube a guy cut a groove in his 3/4" ply and inserted a piece of 1/8" x 1/2" bar stock between the sheets that looks like that would add a lot of strength along with the piece of 3/4"white oak glued on edge. But it maybe strong enough with out the bar stock. And the question about the books its a remodel who knows what they will put on the shelves over the years.

9/19/21       #4: shelf span ...
Mark B

Sagulator -- google

9/19/21       #5: shelf span ...
RichC

If you add a strip of solid wood up the back and have the same adjustable hole pattern in that strip, you greatly increase the load carrying capacity. Personally I would spilt the shelves in half. I can't see a case where a 50" clear span is required.

9/19/21       #6: shelf span ...
Chris

I'm feeling pretty confident that by gluing 2 3/4" plywood with a piece of 3/4" white oak on the front edge and also a piece of 3/4" white oak on the back bottom that i won't have any sag on a 47" span.

9/20/21       #7: shelf span ...
Mark B

Did you run it through the sagulator? 1.5" x 12" x 47" with 3/4" 1 1/2" white oak edge comes in at .05" sag with a 40lb/sq' uniform load. 40lbs is massive heavily loaded. Not sure what the factor would be for both edges. But it come in as "acceptable". If they are able to be flipped its even better.

9/20/21       #8: shelf span ...
DJS

If you glue 2 pieces of plywood directly to each other at that length they will warp. Building a torsion box will not only prevent that, but will be stronger.

9/20/21       #9: shelf span ...
Mark B

We've laminated 2 pieces of 3/4" ply for a 1.5" thick shelf faced both sides numerous times. Same with 1/2" for a 1" thick shelf and no issues with warpage. Always best if you can bring in true 1" ply but we often dont have that option.

The 47" span is going to sag no matter what which is why we always try to make longer shelves flippable so the customer can flip/reload as needed though it likely never happens.

9/20/21       #10: shelf span ...
Chris

Sounds good Mark I seen on Utube a guy cut a groove on front and back and placed a piece of 1/8” x 3/4” bar stock between them that would help for sure.

9/20/21       #11: shelf span ...
Mark B

Avoid the tube. No small metal bar in there is going to appreciably increase the capacity of the shelf. Buy your bar and bend it over your knee. Even bonded in its not going to gain you anything.

9/20/21       #12: shelf span ...
Chris

Good to hear appreciate the input

9/20/21       #13: shelf span ...
Adam Spees

There are zero problems with warpage when applying various width/thickness pieces of wood to fronts/backs of plywood shelves. Absolute worse case is a little bit of bow. This can be a good thing in long spans. Just thick of the shelves as beams/joists. Crown up.

Putting the center shelf pin thru the back of the cabinet(1/2" back is required) can cause visual problems if the customer doesn't fill the shelves. You will always see this long row of shelf pin holes. The midspan pin is fine for kitchen cabinets.

We've done all of the variations over the years. As well as some unusual Architect/Designer designed ones. In retrospect many of those should have been done in solid maple. The cost is actually lower when you factor in all of the various steps to get to paint. 20/20 hindsight. Obviously, this observation is project dependent. I think we all see it as a "waste" of wood. Perhaps its a waste of time & cabinet ply to build shelves.

9/20/21       #14: shelf span ...
Dave L

I'll have to disagree with Mark, a trapped/glued 1/8x1" steel bar on edge will add significant stiffness to any shelf. Making the slots 9/16" deep and using 3pcs of 1/8" dowel (top/cntr, bott/ends) during glue-up will add a bit of camber (think tractor trailer flat bed).

View higher quality, full size image (1024 X 768)

9/20/21       #15: shelf span ...
Chris

Good ideal about the 1/8” dowels took me a minute to figure out what you was saying but I did get it.

9/20/21       #16: shelf span ...
Mark B

The issue is what is the gain for the investment. I would guess in reality is a ton of investment for very little gain. One could have a shelf done and out the door in a fraction of the time it takes to implement some half measure that only gains a very slight advantage and moreso to the maker more than the customer.

Sagulator has proven invaluable to me.and been very accurate. If your trying to defy the laws of gravity... sure carbon fiber, whatever it takes. But the bulk of it is met with traditional convention. The mass of a unit with 50" wide shelves is usually complimented by thicker shelves anyways so it works.

9/21/21       #17: shelf span ...
Dave L

If I had the machinery and the budget, I'd use solid hardwood shelves. With my equipment, a stacked and banded or painted edge is the easiest and most aesthetic. Adding steel reinforcement on long spans is easier, more aesthetic and effective than an applied 1x2 hardwood edge.

The problem with the Sagulator is that it doesn't account for time. Heavily loaded shelves will gradually sag more and more over time (particleboard and MDF in particular). It has taken over seven years for my heavily loaded and unsupported 48 x 12 x 1-3/4" MDF torsion box shelf to sag 3.5mm. A similar (1.5" stacked edge, lighter load) steel reinforced particleboard shelf that is at least twice as old hasn't gone past 2mm for over seven years. The later was probably before I started pretensioning the steel and was a lot easier to make. The labor costs on the former were probably the equivalent of using plain hardwood.

View higher quality, full size image (1280 X 960)

View higher quality, full size image (1280 X 960)

9/21/21       #18: shelf span ...
Chris

Dave
So I don’t have any 6/4 white oak but you think I would be better off laminating 2 pieces of 3/4” white oak for my 47” span ?

9/21/21       #19: shelf span ...
David R Sochar Member

How many times have torsion boxes been suggested as fixes for these types of problems?

Or, the Sagulator?

Steel? Double layers of ply? Why complicate things?

9/23/21       #20: shelf span ...
Thomas

When we have to build longer shelves that present a possible future problem we inset .625 x .625 x.125 angle iron into the bottom of the shelves. We have found this to be quick and an easy fix.

9/23/21       #21: shelf span ...
Chris

David can you build a torsion box 1-1/2” thick?
Tom that would make it stronger

9/24/21       #22: shelf span ...
David R Sochar Member

Yes - 1/8" "door skin", 1-1/4 x 1/2", and another 1/8" skin.
Use 1-1/2" with a 1/8" rabbet and frame the shelf four sides. Make some 1-1/4" x 1/2" stock and run it the length, down the center.
Then a few short pieces from edge to center. Glue it all, and press it to set.

You can vary it if you can't find 1/8" - then you can use the so-called 1/4" ply. And 1"+ spacers.

View higher quality, full size image (1944 X 2592)

View higher quality, full size image (2592 X 1944)

9/24/21       #23: shelf span ...
David R Sochar Member

The cabinets in the photos are both torsion boxes of 1/4" MDF, ply 2 sides, with a solid rabbeted nose of solid wood and a solid spine down the center and one along the back. I think they were 1-1/2" or 1-3/4" thick. The back edge tongues out thru the backs and catch the 1/2" back panels, giving 100% support along the back. When I sat on one of the long shelves, my svelte 280 lbs deflected the shelf less than 1/8".

9/25/21       #24: shelf span ...
Adam Spees

You can also use honeycomb door core and skin it. Think of the strength of an interior door. Those are 1 3/8 thick. We made cored ones about 20 years ago. I believe they were 6' long.

4' is not a big deal if you want regular load shelves. If the Customer wants to pay for some exotic construction method for 4' shelves that will support David then go for it.

I couldn't figure out how to input David into the Sagulator.

10/2/21       #25: shelf span ...
David R Sochar Member

Exotic? One problem with torsion box construction is it is not visible since you cannot see how those shelves are made. Surely, when the lawyer talking head is on the box, we can all see how the law books he never uses have bowed the solid wood shelves. Torsion box would not have sagged.

Input my posterior into the Sagulator? Try Fatwood.

10/2/21       #26: shelf span ...
Dave L

The only advantage of a torsion box shelf over a solid wood shelf of the same thickness is weight.

How well a torsion box shelf holds up over time depends on the materials and construction used.

A simple steel reinforced shelf sags less over time than a veneered all MDF torsion box (see above).

10/2/21       #27: shelf span ...
Adam Spees

The major limiting factor in torsion box construction are the skin material/thickness and the total thickness of the panel. Ideally you want a unidirectional material(wood) as the skins. The further apart they are regardless of the internal webbing the stiffer it will be.

If you made what you are calling a torsion box out of one 1mm unidirectional fibreglass 1" thick with a foam/balsa core it would out perform all of your torsion boxes by a long shot.

The mdf skin is a poor choice. There is no fibre strength. You would be better off using 1/4" ply.

The way it works is one of the skins is in tension the other is in compression. Similar to an i-beam

People tend to over build the framing in a torsion box because they don't understand the composite panel theory.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • Limtech Industries, Inc.
      CNC Routers, Machinery for Woodworking, Plastic and Other Non-ferrous Metal Machining Applications
    • Denray Machine
      Quality Dust Filtration Systems Provided by an Industry Leader in Wood, Metal, and Many Other Dust Control Applications
    • Cabinetshop Maestro
      Web-Based Project Management Software for Custom Cabinet Shops - Manage Jobs from Prospect to Punchlist Through Scheduling, Task Management, Time Tracking and Communication
    • SAMES North America Corporation
      Precision Spraying Solutions From Pumps To Complete Application Systems-Design and Manufacture of Process Equipment Including Airspray, Airmix, Airless, Rexson Dispense, Electrostatic and Powder Coat
    • Cabinet Pro
      Design and Manufacturing Software for the Cabinet and Door Industries Since 1986
    • WoodJobs.com Search Consultants
      Free Employment Service for Woodworking Related Job Seekers
    • Impact Search and Placement
      Professional Employment Recruiting Specialists
    • Felder USA
      High Quality Woodworking Machines and Tools
    • Shop Gear Inc.
      Distributor of Co-matic Power Feeders, Le-matic Portable Edgebanders, and Supplier of Woodworking Machinery, Tooling and Accessories in North America
    • Veneer Systems Inc.
      Specializing in Veneer Equipment and Veneer Supplies
    • Elias Woodwork & Manufacturing
      Solid Wood Cabinet Doors, Furniture, Dovetail Drawers, Mouldings, and Related Items
    • Tooling on the Web
      Tooling and Tooling Accessories - Free Re-Sharpening for Qualifying Tools
    • RT Machine Co.
      Stocking Distributor of New and Used Woodworking Machinery

Become a Sponsor today!