Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

New to sliding table saw

4/11/22       
Mr Fee Member

I'm pretty new to sliding table saws and we have a holzher 1243 sliding saw. I have been getting a lot of contradicting statements on the best way to use it from the people I work with. I only use it once in a blue moon because the cnc cuts most parts and I work mostly on specialty parts.

The cross cut fence is in the front and I can cross cut fine by putting the end of the rip fence at the front of the saw blade. My issue is ripping full sheets length wise.

I was taught to put the rip fence well past the end of the blade and use the cross cut fence at the same time. It's hard for me to keep the panel flat against the rip fence at the end of the cut without pushing the offcut into the back of the blade. The owner said I should reach over the gaurd/dust shroud and push the with my right hand toward the end of the cut?
In relation to cutting full sheets;

Do you reach over the blade guard?

Where are you focusing/putting pressure?

Where do you locate your rip fence?

Are you pushing toward the rip fence, toward the crosscut fence or both?

Any other tips or things I might need to know when using a slider is welcomed.

I would appreciate any help as I'm trying to be safe and efficient.

I know this seems silly but I honestly hate this machine right now and dread anytime I have to use it.

4/11/22       #2: New to sliding table saw ...
Dave Edgerton  Member

Ripping:
Right fence should be in normal position with the end closest to you about 6 " sticking out in line with the bar where it locks down.
Rip panel with pressure onto the rip fence but use the slider to move the material. Crosscut fence has no bearing on this operation and you don't need it.

Crosscut:
If your part is 4" wide and you want to cut 400 of them at say 400mm long, move the right fence back so the front end is equal to the front of the blade. That way the piece does not bind.
Wide crosscut, the right fence has no business in that operation unless you are doing may repeat cuts and use it as a stopper.

4/11/22       #3: New to sliding table saw ...
Dave Edgerton  Member

Also when ripping, use it like a regular tables how you push the piece through. If you are splitting a sheet lengthwise, use the slider to carry move your sheet. You will love it soon. Don't over think it.

4/11/22       #4: New to sliding table saw ...
Dave Edgerton  Member

Here is another example of cross cutting solids. Note cross cut fence orientation

View higher quality, full size image (2976 X 2976)

4/11/22       #5: New to sliding table saw ...
Mark B

I have always been told, and followed the practice of never using the standard rip fence in conjunction with the slider to rip parts. The standard rip fence would have at least some amount of toe in it so depending on where you locate the fence (front to back) your dimensions will not be accurate as your panel will be registering against the retracted (in-feed) end of the fence which, with toe, would make your part narrower than your fence setting.

I may be wrong but I believe this is why euro sliders often use a rear fence on the slider for ripping parts narrower than your comfortable registering against the cross cut fence.

My work around for this when doing precise work where I want to use the rip fence as a stop has been to have a finger on the rip fence that gives you a single point of reference for the sheet to register against but the slider is still the calibrating component of the operation.

In my world since owning sliders if your going to use the rip fence you lock the slider and shove the sheet as you would conventionally (remove the cross cut fence). The slider would typically have a very slight toe to the left of the blade, and the rip fence would have a very slight toe to the right which means the two are fighting each other. Not saying I dont do it on occasion just because the slider carries the weight of the sheet but as youve found you can find yourself fighting the slider wanting to pull the sheet off the rip fence even very slightly.

Its subtle. But what I find most in this situation is a slightly convex cut.

4/11/22       #6: New to sliding table saw ...
Dave Edgerton  Member

Mark B, the crosscut fence was placed that way in my pic for solids, typically it is up at the front of the out rigger for panels.
We are talking a few thou of drift on the right fence and as well on the slider. We just rip the length of the sheet o the rip fence and keep the pressure to it. Not worth the fuss when you have 60 sheets to process.

I should add though it's a time/quality/production reference. If a guy is pounding out closet shelving all day long, a bit less precision vs panels for fine furniture. Depends on the business model. Gotta also remember your back, pushing the slider carriage all day long.
4/11/22       #7: New to sliding table saw ...
Mark B

Wasnt critique'ing your setup in the least Dave. I was more speaking to the Op asking about ripping full sheets without having to reach over the guard to shove the off-cut (kinda defeats the bonus of a slider). If I have to accurately break down full sheets on the slider (I trust the slider, I dont really care to trust the rip fence) I eliminate the rip fence to be anything other than a stop.

The euro way and melding it to the US way of breaking down sheets is never a pretty combination.

4/11/22       #8: New to sliding table saw ...
Thomas Gardiner

I do rip with the sliding table moving but without the sheet registered to the crosscut fence. It requires that I keep light side pressure on the sheet in the area just in front of the blade to ensure that the sheet stays in contact with the rip fence. Hand transfers to the right side of the sheet in the final foot or two of the cut so I don't close the kerf on the blade. All rips start with a squaring cut and cleanup rip all done on the slider.
I do all my sheet rips on the slider down to 18" width and unless I am careless I get width accuracy of 1/32" from a full 8' rip.

4/11/22       #9: New to sliding table saw ...
Dave Edgerton  Member

Mark B Roger that, no prob. Thomas G, that sounds like what I do for panels.

4/11/22       #10: New to sliding table saw ...
Daniel Member

I basically do why Thomas said and Dave. Once you get a system it works great. I’ve cut tons of 4 by 8s and occasionally 5 by 9s. Those require an second guy to handle. But another thing I’ll mention that I think is one of the most important things on a slider is a hold down of some type. Make things much easier and. A much nicer cut

View higher quality, full size image (4032 X 3024)

View higher quality, full size image (3024 X 4032)

4/11/22       #11: New to sliding table saw ...
Adam

There is zero difference between using a slider and a regular table saw. You would never use a miter gauge and the fence at the same time. The geometry would have to be absolutely perfect for there not to be an issue. Even if you could get the blade, miter fence, & fence working together(which you won't). The real limiting factor is the material. It's not flat straight or square enough.

Reaching behind the saw blade with your hand is wrong.
Use a well made push stick that is sized for the specific thing you are pushing past the blade. Not one of those plastic one size fits all push sticks.

4/12/22       #12: New to sliding table saw ...
Jim

Alternatively it makes a great holder for a "For Sale" sign, with the carriage locked and crosscut fence in the front position
Then replace it with a Striebig
YMMV

4/12/22       #13: New to sliding table saw ...
Dave Edgerton  Member

Daniel that's a great idea. I like that setup. We use our slider for ripping tons of hardwood to size and we have a 12" Royce ripping blade on the saw. At the front of the slider table we have a pinch wedge but that air hold down would work great.
We use the slider because we can edge the rough lumber straight all the while keeping the rip fence at 2.25" and cut boards for the 4 head s4s molder all day.
A rip saw would be great but no $$ for that yet.
4/12/22       #14: New to sliding table saw ...
Adam

Jim,

I absolutely agree with you. The combination of a Striebig & a decent 10" cabinet saw is hard to beat.

4/12/22       #15: New to sliding table saw ...
Thomas Gardiner

I know that some frown upon ripping solids on a slider but push a ton (literally) of 8/4 through the saw at a time and would miss the hp and stock support of the slider if I were to go back to a cabinet saw.
BTW I am very jealous of Dave when he scored his S4S machine.

4/12/22       #16: New to sliding table saw ...
Mark B

Same camp here with solids on the slider. Glue line rips straight off the saw. Even feeder break down. CNC in the shop so panels on the slider is rare. Its pretty much a solids machine at this point. But in a stricktly panel shop I can see the Vertical and a small footprint TS (or 2 or 3 with dedicated setups).

4/12/22       #17: New to sliding table saw ...
Dave Edgerton  Member

Thomas, here's a couple of glam shots of the s4s for ya.
Sexy beast! Can't show too much cause that's on my Only Fans channel.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors

Become a Sponsor today!