Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Outsourcing

3/11/23       
tracy nauman

Good morning.

I have a small shop in northwest Missouri. I am a carpenter by trade. I have done this kind of work my entire life. I took over the family business about 15 years ago with the intention of eventually doing cabinets full time. That has not happened. I still have to do carpentry work to supplement my cabinet shop work. I average $250,000 a year in work. Most jobs I take have either cabinets, trim or some kind of custom woodwork involved. I do mostly remodeling and work by myself or with the help of my daughter or brother when they are able. I make face frame cabinets. I will make the cabinet boxes and do the finishing. Outsource the doors and drawers.

What I am wanting to find out is your guys opinion on outsourcing everything except assembly, finishing and installation. At 50 I really do not think becoming full time cabinet maker is in my best interest. Investing in new equipment to become more productive. Speed and accuracy cost a lot of money. On the other hand, so does shipping cost and the long lead times I am experiencing. There is absolutely no way to add help in this area. Every business owner is begging for help and the help that is available is has so many issues you cannot depend on.

At this time, I am scheduling work into next year. I have raised prices and still cannot keep up. I have even had a customer ask me what would it cost to make them the only name on my list of work.

I have searched the posts on this subject. Most I have found are years old. I would be interested in hearing your opinions and advise on this. Also, could you point me to companies that I could outsource my boxes from? I get doors and drawers from Walzcraft and am very pleased with the quality. I have tried Cabinotch for cabinet boxes. The quality is just not up to what I prefer to provide. I strive to give the customer the best I can and would like to work with the best suppliers.

I have learned so much from this website. I get to my shop every morning at 530 and search this site to try and learn something.

Thank you all for your input and time.

Tracy Nauman

3/11/23       #2: Outsourcing ...
Bill

Tracy, I think outsourcing the box components is a good strategy. I would try Conestoga Wood.

We bought some for a renovation in our plant and I thought they were good quality.

Conestoga wood RTA cabinets

3/12/23       #3: Outsourcing ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

How about finding a cabinet shop you like to work with, and just mark up their product?

3/12/23       #4: Outsourcing ...
RichC

I was a big fan of outsourcing before retirement. So easy to bid because you are looking at a know cost.

3/12/23       #5: Outsourcing ...
Joseph

Try B&B door in Jackson Missouri. South. I'm in Columbia Missouri. They deliver. Excellent products. Nice people. Ask for Carla. Holler if you ever get this way

3/12/23       #6: Outsourcing ...
Chippy1987 Member

Tracy, outsourcing the box components is a great option!

3/13/23       #7: Outsourcing ...
tracy nauman Member

Morning!
Thank you for your responses. I am thinking I need to ask my questions a different way.

First. Is there a company that offers RTA cabinet box components that is superior once assembled? I would prefer they are just as good as I am or better. My experience has been the face frames that come with the order all need to be sanded to finish. They appear to be run through a wide belt 1 time. The cabinet boxes once put together do not fit as good as I like. The joints are not as tight as I want. I assume for ease of assembly?

As far as I know of there is not a cabinet shop in my area that offers the service I am after. Cabinet box components with face frames made. I am 100 miles north of Kansas City and 100 miles south of Omaha Nebraska.

This brings me to my second question. Is there a company that offers what I am after that has high standards? I am talking about the RTA cabinet box components. There absolutely is for doors and drawers. I am not sure about the other.

Now the big question. Should a small shop owner have the mind set to keep the never ending cycle of upgrading his shop going? Or look to outsource it all? I do not consider subbing out the entire cabinet job to another shop an option for me at this point?

I am trying to figure out if I can find a shop with high standards to work with that can make what I offer better for the customer and me or should I stick with doing this myself and keep trying to get better? Buying and learning to use a CNC machine seems much more difficult than finding a shop that will cut my parts. As with everything is comes down to money and how to get the best results and return.

3/13/23       #8: Outsourcing ...
Bill

I think Conestoga has high standards and is made domestically. I have very little experience with this, but they will provide stained/Painted finished frames, sides, and whatever else you get with the cabinets. I am not sure of shipping to you but that's certainly a consideration.

I would ask for a sample cabinet from whomever you are considering.
Good Luck.

Bill

3/13/23       #9: Outsourcing ...
Bruce H

If you are not happy with what Cabinotch provides my guess is you won't be happy with any of the others unless the price is higher than what you can re-sell it for. How do you think they make money? They employ whatever help is available off the street and make volumes of product. Quality suffers, it's part of what they build.

If you want to build cabinets learn to be efficient. Building face frames, a straight line rip saw and a wide belt sander would be almost minimum. Adding a 4S molder would be faster that wide belting frame parts. Pocket screw assembly for those parts. A frame table would speed that up as well.

Cutting panel products for the boxes you'd want some sort of vertical saw. I just saw a used Striebig go for $600.00. Buy used equipment, great value for the money spent. Everyone want's CNC, used stuff is cheap.

Doing it yourself will give you the quality level wanted, you keep control over what is being built, when and how. I am a small shop (one employee) and not a fan of outsourcing. If you want to talk about it send a direct message with a phone number.

3/14/23       #10: Outsourcing ...
pat gilbert

The default setting of humans is naked and starving the difference between that and today's standard of living was created by trade also known as outsourcing

You may have to go through a few suppliers but that is easier than wearing all the hats in an organization and you will probably make more money

3/18/23       #11: Outsourcing ...
KAP

Tracy,

You've referenced your high standards a few times, but have not really specified what that means... there are a LOT of cabinet box companies, with most using CNC for cutting, grooving, line boring, etc.

Comes down to level of assembly and materials... try to be specific about what high standards you're trying to achieve with outsourcing...

3/20/23       #12: Outsourcing ...
tracy nauman Member

Good morning Kap!

First off, I am not familiar with any other cabinet box companies besides Cabinotch. I used them when Columbia Forest Products owned them. I have not used them since it has been bought back. For the most part, it was ok. I did not feel their face frames were of good quality material. I also thought once together the joints on the cabinet boxes needed to be tighter. The only thing I have to compare to is my own work against it.

This brings me to your question and one of mine. I am searching for answers on what direction to take my business. I want to offer the best I can. Is it possible to outsource and provide a 1st class cabinet? I am talking as close to perfect as possible. Or, is that something a guy has to tool up and make happen himself?

Let me ask it this way. Can a guy offer the best with outsourcing, or does he have to invest in his shop and provide it himself? This is where I am at in life at the moment. At 50 what do I do? I own my shop and all the machines. Which is just the bare minimum to get by. Powermatic 66 table saw, 20 inch Delta planer, 12 inch jointer, Delta shaper, Castle pocket hole machine and clamp table, band saw, safety speed cut panel saw, ect.

I am trying to figure out what direction to go from here. Can I get better than I am with outsourcing, or do I have to set up a complete shop?

3/20/23       #13: Outsourcing ...
gary

Are your customers willing to pay for a "perfect" cabinet. Year ago when I started out I thought everything needed to be perfect. I put a lot of extra time into details my customers never noticed or cared about. When I quit dong that I started making money. I build a very good cabinet but it is not perfect.

6/10/23       #14: Outsourcing ...
Joe Folz Member

What don't you like about Cabinotch? I had great luck with there product and KCD. If I ever had trouble they made it right. I have been using from close to there beginning.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • Cab Parts
      Pre-manufactured Components for Easy-to-Assemble Cabinet Boxes
    • Limtech Industries, Inc.
      CNC Routers, Machinery for Woodworking, Plastic and Other Non-ferrous Metal Machining Applications
    • Felder USA
      High Quality Woodworking Machines and Tools
    • J&P Machines
      Design and Production of Custom Equipment for the Manufacturing Industry
    • Template Services
      Professional Moulding Design and Template Making Service
    • Better Vacuum Cups, Inc.
      Vacuum Cups for All CNC Routers As Well As Many After Market Parts for Your CNC
    • NEMI
      Products For CNC Machines - Digitizers, Tool Setters, Vacuum Pods, Vacuum Cups, Vacuum Tables, Vacuum Chucks and Software
    • Anver Corporation
      Vacuum System Components - Suction Cups, Vacuum Pumps, Vacuum Lifters & Lifting Systems, and More
    • Laguna Tools
      CNC Routers, CNC Lasers, Bandsaws, Woodworking Machines
    • Rangate
      Woodworking Machinery, Supplies and Knowledge
    • Western Dovetail
      Custom Made Dovetail Drawers
    • Machine Bid
      Online auction site for buying and selling high-quality machinery. We offer a secure, online bidding platform, featuring CNC routers, Edgebanders, Sanders, and much more; new equipment added daily
    • Cabinetshop Maestro
      Web-Based Project Management Software for Custom Cabinet Shops - Manage Jobs from Prospect to Punchlist Through Scheduling, Task Management, Time Tracking and Communication

Become a Sponsor today!