Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Questions about processing S4S

8/2/23       
Chris Hedges Member

As is the case with most things cabinetmaking, there are multiple ways to achieve the same result. Sometimes times that's good. Sometimes it leads to analysis paralysis. I'm suffering from the later. My main goal is to scale up production by increasing efficiency. Yield is also important. In other words, I want to go from 10 doors a day to 100 (the numbers are arbitrary). A "classical" approach to creating S4S involves a miter saw, a table saw, a jointer, a planer, and a shaper or two for edge profiling. I'm sure you all have gone through the process. You can add all the fancy digital do-dads, buy the most expensive sliding table saw and pair it with some real sweet machines from SCM or Felder, but at the end of the day you're still walking back and forth from machine to machine hand feeding (ok, yes you can add power feeders!) your 400 pieces of stock.

After a brain numbing week in Vegas for AWFS my eyes have been opened to some very different possibilities! Now we're talking gang rip saws, double sided-planers, 6 head molders, cut-off saws, etc. All to make boards S4S!

How are these machines used in comparison to what I have called the "classical" process? I can vaguely see at least two routes to get from rough to ready.

Process 1 -
1) SL or gang rip to establish some "straight" edges
2) Real nice Leadermac Smartmac 6 head moulder that will joint, plane, and profile. According to sales and some extensive research, this will straighten and flatten. I'm hesitant which leads me to process two below.
3) Fancy cutoff saw with digitals and such to chop long boards in to short boards

a. Pretty sure 2 and 3 can be switched!
4) At least one shaper for coping the ends.

Process 2 -
1) Double sided planer - Cantek makes a nice 16" one which as far as I can tell is plenty big enough and from what I head will make a board dead flat. Just no straight edges.
2) SLR to create straight edge and rip face frame and rail/stile stock
3) Two shapers - one for sticking one for coping.
4) Fancy cut off saw with previously mentioned bells and whistles.

I'm sure I am missing some variables here so don't hesitate to let me know. I feel like the final answer is gonna be some combination of all of these. I can see problems with each but don't know how to evaluate. My brain is fried and I need lunch. Help!

Chris

8/2/23       #3: Questions about processing S4S ...
perley

Your lumber supplier should be able to straight line and s2s your lumber. All you would need is cut off saw and shapers for profile.

8/2/23       #4: Questions about processing S4S ...
Chris Hedges Member

I have considered this option but for various reasons I am not convinced it's not the option for me. I want to retain control of all aspects of the operation. Thank you! I appreciate you response.

8/3/23       #7: Questions about processing S4S ...
Allen Chalifoux

Not sure if this will be of any help but my 4 side molder has had the biggest impact on my productivity and bottom line, by far.
Good luck with new venture, Allen

8/3/23       #8: Questions about processing S4S ...
Chris Hedges Member

Thanks for the info Alex!

What type of machinery are you running otherwise? What is the job of the molder? Roughly how many LF of cabinetry are you producing a year?

8/3/23       #9: Questions about processing S4S ...
Bill

Not sharing real volumes you are trying to achieve will limit the quality of your answers.

You said you could not accept s2s with a straight edge.
But I assume you are not cutting down the trees, sawing the boards and drying them so you do have work you let others do.

On your journey to a larger volume it may be in your best interest to sub out parts of it as you grow. The need to plane rough boards yourself makes little sense unless you are going through LOTS of wood.

A "fancy" cutoff saw with a digital stop is foundational to making any volume of doors.

8/3/23       #10: Questions about processing S4S ...
RichC

Chris, After reading and commenting on Sawmill Creek to you and this post, you should be mentioning you aren't making cabinets now. Your questions are here are all hypothetical. That's fine, but you are getting bogged down on fine details while you have no business plan, have not done a competitive marketing study, and you are doing this study to show some folks helping you with small business experience.

8/3/23       #11: Questions about processing S4S ...
Custom Millwork

In a previous life I was the General Manager of a lumber distribution business that also specialized in producing custom mouldings/millwork you can choose to believe what I am about to share or not but these are real world examples-

1. I had a very large customer convinced paying us $.06/bf to SLR lumber was too exepnsive and they could do it cheaper. After buying the SLR (about a $40k investment) they called us up and bought their first load of lumber which we S2S'd but did not SLR. About 2 weeks later the owner of this very successful cabinet shop called me up and asked what we do with the off fall...He did not consider that in his buying equation. Long story short after one month they sold the SLR and we resumed performing that service for them.

2. You want control but you want a large increase in volume, simply put best of luck, of course it can be done, not knowing your location but in our city there were 4 different, successful distributors with $20 mil in equipment ready to do what you describe.

3. the best way to flatten boards is to start with flat boards. If you're not getting flat boards from your supplier find a new supplier.

Everything you describe can be done with certainty and could probably be done by you but I would be willing to bet there are plenty of places local to you that are already doing parts of what you describe, stick with what you are good at and make some money, you can't be all things to all people.

8/3/23       #12: Questions about processing S4S ...
Chris Hedges Member

I sincerely appreciate everyone's response here. Certainly a lot of questions and points for me to think about. I can be another cabinet shop or I can be a cabinet shop with my own identity. Now is the time to do the reflection and figure out what that means in terms of business practices. Again, thank you all for your insight!

8/4/23       #13: Questions about processing S4S ...
Scott

It all comes down to volume, there are different processes for the amount of volume you are planning to do each day, week or year? With each process comes a different set of machines needed, with those machines comes a different amount of floor space required, a different amount of employees needed, a different amount of power required, a different amount of dust collection required and a different amount of warehouse space for lifts of material, as well as completed materials. etc.
Like Rich said you need a seriously detailed business plan, everything else is dependent on it.

8/4/23       #14: Questions about processing S4S ...
Chris Hedges Member

Scott - Yes. Exactly. What I am trying to figure is which level of each I need. If annual out put is 300 LF of cabinetry, what's the right mix from there? Will traditional hand fed machines (jointer, planer, TS, shaper, etc) do the job or will the addition of more production oriented machines (SLR, 5 head moulder, dovetail machine, etc) get the job done in a manner to meat production goals? It is quite the puzzle to put together and I assure that nothing is going anywhere until the plan is done. Thanks!!!!!

8/4/23       #15: Questions about processing S4S ...
Scott

Chris,

I am not sure what you are meaning exactly when you say 300 lf of cabinets, say uppers and lowers in a kitchen for example would be 20 ft on average so that would be about 15 kitchens. That is not a lot , so you wouldn’t need a lot of production equipment or people for that. However, you need to allow for growth/expansion and you have to decide if you are going to do all aspects of the kitchen.

For example if you build your own drawer boxes, you would likely offer a few different styles with the most expensive likely being a solid wood box with dovetail joints. What equipment do you require for this process. The wholesaler can drop off a lift of rough maple, you would need to joint it, plane it, sand it and then cut to lengths and then dovetail the ends, glue it, sand it and finish it. So what do you need? You need a forklift to unload the lift, a jointer, a planer, a widebelt sander, a miter saw or up cut saw with automatic feeder and fence, a dovetail machine, a drawer clamp machine or manual clamps, a spray booth c/w make up air and fire suppression. So for every machine listed you can buy a cheap off shore one or a super expensive European/American one. Or like others mentioned you can send your drawer order to ABC drawers and they will send you the boxes built and finished.
This is just a vague description, but all aspects of a cabinet job are similar.

There are lots of folks out there doing 15 kitchens a year with a panel saw, cabinet saw, jointer, planer, smaller or cheap edgebander, band saw, drum/widebelt sander, drill press, maybe a shaper, small dust collector, miter saw and all the electric hand tools that go with it, drills , jig saw, belt sander, router, random orbit sanders, etc.
A cnc would be a nice upgrade as it can do a lot of work for you, but also a larger investment.
Everyone has their techniques and likes so this list can vary quite a bit.

There is a difference as well between residential and commercial work.

Just a little fyi, Lots of great cabinet makers and smart business people on this site, so good luck.

8/4/23       #16: Questions about processing S4S ...
Dustin Orth

So one thing about fixing a bottleneck, another one will appear. As someone who provides S3S and S4S for cabinet shops, the cabinet shops no longer have to deal with scrap and all the sawdust. They can just send me a list, I run the material, they come pick it up. They can work on stuff that will turn jobs faster. They can invest money on equipment that will run all day making cabinets, I invest in the equipment to make moldings and s4s. It's a win win for everyone. A good molder, dust collection, a good chopping system all told, 200K plus. Can you justify that amount of capital investment? What do you figure a return on investment?

8/5/23       #17: Questions about processing S4S ...
Hen Bob Member

My 2cts..

I get material from the supplier surfaced and SLR, while I have an SLR saw and a 4 head molder its not worth the effort. We can take material straight from the pile send it through the saw, widebelt it, through the shaper pretty quickly. Like the others said the off cuts and the dust collection requirements to surface the material are big... I filled up my 4 bag 20hp collector in 45 minutes this morning running the molder.
The biggest time saving and accuracy part of making the doors for us is to do final sizing on the beam saw. we stack up the pairs and trim them at the same time. it literally saves hours from doing it on a slider. Outsource the drawers!

8/12/23       #18: Questions about processing S4S ...
Ken Member

Timely post Chris I have the same question on S4S. I'm in a little city "Sacramento" in a little state "California" (ya know, 5th largest economy in the world blah blah blah) and can't get flat S2S to save my life. I have 2 hardwood suppliers within a reasonable distance, one doesn't do milling the other is limited on variety. 4/4 S2S1E is never flat and straight enough to start processing. I'm better off get hit & miss or rough and face joint. It's the only way I can get the level of "flat" quality I need. I'm not doing 1000's of feet so I have to deal with it. Today it was 7/8" soft maple mitered doors, last week it was 1-1/16" White Oak face frames. I'm still rocking it old school to make it work. I do SLR on a slider though, it actually works pretty good. AWFS was great as usual but high tech, high production is still not realistic for some of us small cab/furniture shops.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • MARTIN Woodworking Machines Corp.
      Quality Woodworking Machinery Engineered and Manufactured in Germany
    • Vexor Custom Woodworking Tools, Inc.
      Custom and Standard Router Bits, Shaper Cutters, Profile Knives, Multi Profile Insert Tooling and More
    • Shop Gear Inc.
      Distributor of Co-matic Power Feeders, Le-matic Portable Edgebanders, and Supplier of Woodworking Machinery, Tooling and Accessories in North America
    • GreCon
      Spark Detection and Extinguishment Systems and Quality Assurance Measuring Equipment
    • TotalFinishingSUPPLIES.com
      Solutions and supplies from spray tips to spray booths for all your woodworking needs
    • WalzCraft
      Custom Doors and Wood Products
    • Scarlett Machinery Inc.
      New and Used CNC Routers and Used Woodworking Machinery, for Operations Ranging From Small Woodworking Shops to Large Progressive Manufacturing Plants
    • WOODWEB, Inc.
      The Information Resource for the Woodworking Industries
    • American Vision Cabinets
      Leading provider of Custom CNC cabinet parts and components and Edge banding services
    • J&P Machines
      Design and Production of Custom Equipment for the Manufacturing Industry
    • Safety Speed Manufacturing
      Economical Vertical Panel Saws, Panel Routers, Edgebanders and Widebelt Sanders
    • Rangate
      Woodworking Machinery, Supplies and Knowledge
    • O'Shea Lumber Company
      Merchants of Fine Woods

Become a Sponsor today!