Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Dovetail drawers machine

12/25/23       
Akram

Hi, we are looking for Dovetail drawer machine under 10 K any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

12/25/23       #2: Dovetail drawers machine ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

I have a Cantek. It works, but I'm not a huge fan. Depends how many drawers you do to justify what you should spend. I do about 6-800 a year, I've been eye balling a Mereen Johnson CNC dovetailer. They're $80k. It's one of the next things on my list to get.

12/29/23       #3: Dovetail drawers machine ...
Tim Member

Not sure how many drawers a month you intend to make but as Karl points to, it’s good to know in terms of how to proceed and make a decision. I think you need to consider it as purchasing a manufacturing cell, not just one item.
At a 10k budget I’d buy a JLT drawer clamp and look for an older machine at auction. If you need an upgrade on the machine down the line, great, but you’ll still have a drawer clamp at a relatively low point of entry.
I really like my Omec 650A. It’s a small cnc dovetailer, unlike the Cantek, it skips unneeded dovetails and you can run parts really fast for such a small machine, it has an auto cycle where you just work the pneumatic clamps to run it. It was about 23k. 3 years ago. If 10k was the budget, I’d go with Karl’s suggestion. I have a Cantek edgebander that is absolutely fine, no frills and parts are cheap, I can work on it myself (just maintenance 7 years in), it does the job, I think I like my bander more than Karl likes his dovetailer.
Consider all the equip, beyond just the dovetailer that you need for an efficient drawer making station. We have a JLT drawer clamp that I feel is critical, a little south of 5k. These days. I think I’m all in 30k on my drawer station, consisting of, Omec dovetailer. FB marketplace purchased table saw setup with a power feeder and dado stack to groove the drawer stock after dovetailer, a sanding station ( just a RO to hit the insides, glue/assembly happens here too), then into the clamp. We have a nice little horseshoe production line setup. Once complete, drawers go back out to the larger shop floor to get edge sanded (another piece of machinery to consider) and then to a little shaper that is 75% of the time setup to notch the drawers.

12/31/23       #4: Dovetail drawers machine ...
Kurt Member

Hi Folks.
Im new to the forum after a suggestion from a Canadian Woodworking member for a more industrial/commercial experienced forum.
I have an old brookman dovetailer which works well. Bits are pricey (have 21). Machines go cheap comparatively (under 3k), and setup is simple (with manual). I almost pulled the pin on a Cantek this fall. Sold for 1500 Cad, but I was under the impression they were not the best dovetailer based on online reviews. My brookman was an upgrade to a porter cable jig where you manually run the router through it. Since I only build a handful of custom kitchens a year(slowly transitioning from carpentry to millwork) the brookman suits my needs for now. I have to score the inside of the pin drawer side when using baltic ply to avoid tearout, I am not sure if this would be the case on any dovetailer? On maple it cuts best, no scoring required.
I agree with Tim, drawer clamp would be an asset. Tim, are you using solid wood drawers and finishing after assembly? Im using prefinished, edgebanded baltic birch for majority of kitchens. I notch the backs of my drawers with a dado blade on a dedicated table saw after the dovetailing, but before assembly, would love a drawer notcher tho. I want to transition to solid maple drawers but I was thinking of still using 12mm pre-finished baltic bottoms, and pre-finishing the insides of the drawers before assembly. Looking forward to being a part of this online community, and I hope I didn't go too off topic.
Good luck with your dovetailer decision.
-Kurt.

12/31/23       #5: Dovetail drawers machine ...
Tim Member

We do primarily solid, a good bit of Wh. Oak, but mostly 5/8 soft maple that we buy from one of our lumber suppliers. We bring in the 3 widths we use most. I think 4.25”, 7” and 9.25”. We use 3/8 maple on an MDF core for bottoms. Currently we are finishing as the last step but have considered pre finishing the stock on the inside and bottoms just before cutting to length and dovetailing.
We use Mozaik for cabinet software. That outputs a cut list to an upcut saw with automated stop. Bottoms are cut and labeled on the cnc.

1/2/24       #6: Dovetail drawers machine ...
Akram Member

Thanks for everyone helped responding,

I never thought of building our dovetail drawers before until one of the biggest doors and drawers company in California closed last month, left us dealing with other small companies which now they have got to deal with a lots of work load they ware not ready to handle.
Our last 3 orders came with so many problems and mistakes, that left me to think about getting our 1st dovetailer machine and see if we can produce our drawers.
We are using Mozaik for cnc cut, and Mozaik has a dovetail drawer options but I guess cutting a lots of small drawer boxes on cnc we will have a Vacuum problem parts will start moving and will get damaged, so we are thinking about dovetail drawer machine now.
We are planning of getting pre made Pre Finished Baltic birch rounded and edgebaded strips to start with.
Cross cut on a clean table saw blade
Running through dovetail machine Cantic or Omec per your suggestion.
Assemble it on JLT clamp
Please let me know what is missing on this process.
Thank you in advance.

1/2/24       #7: Dovetail drawers machine ...
Tim Member

That sounds like a good start to me. This is just a personal preference but I’ve never banded the top edge of a BB drawer. Since it’s veneer core layers are exposed at the dovetail, I always preferred to just leave it as is.
I have a colleague in my area that cuts all his drawers from Mozaik on a Homag 4x8 router with a single pump. He uses the Vortex tooling kit for them. I never heard him say he had an issue with hold down. If your doing mostly small stuff I’m sure it could be a problem. If all you intend to do is BB you could get the drawer clamp and try out the vortex setup since you already have the software and cnc.
Try onion skinning and see how small you can go. It’s pricey tooling but far less than a dovetailer.

1/3/24       #8: Dovetail drawers machine ...
Kurt Member

Thank you Tim for educating me as well. I find the new water based prefin BB a lot slipperier than the old urethane, so it would be interesting to see how stationary it stays with the vacuum pump during machining. I have also constructed BB drawers without the edge banding but by the time I sand, micro bevel the drawer edge and apply wipe on poly, Its faster for me to put through the edgebander. I dont mind either appearance. There are a few companies in Quebec that make nice hardwood drawers for companies who dont want to produce their own. I personally find it nice to be in control of my own timeline for every aspect of kitchen construction, but Im a drop in the bucket compared to the volume you fellas do.
Cheers.
Kurt.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • MARTIN Woodworking Machines Corp.
      Quality Woodworking Machinery Engineered and Manufactured in Germany
    • Vexor Custom Woodworking Tools, Inc.
      Custom and Standard Router Bits, Shaper Cutters, Profile Knives, Multi Profile Insert Tooling and More
    • Shop Gear Inc.
      Distributor of Co-matic Power Feeders, Le-matic Portable Edgebanders, and Supplier of Woodworking Machinery, Tooling and Accessories in North America
    • GreCon
      Spark Detection and Extinguishment Systems and Quality Assurance Measuring Equipment
    • TotalFinishingSUPPLIES.com
      Solutions and supplies from spray tips to spray booths for all your woodworking needs
    • WalzCraft
      Custom Doors and Wood Products
    • Scarlett Machinery Inc.
      New and Used CNC Routers and Used Woodworking Machinery, for Operations Ranging From Small Woodworking Shops to Large Progressive Manufacturing Plants
    • WOODWEB, Inc.
      The Information Resource for the Woodworking Industries
    • American Vision Cabinets
      Leading provider of Custom CNC cabinet parts and components and Edge banding services
    • J&P Machines
      Design and Production of Custom Equipment for the Manufacturing Industry
    • Safety Speed Manufacturing
      Economical Vertical Panel Saws, Panel Routers, Edgebanders and Widebelt Sanders
    • Rangate
      Woodworking Machinery, Supplies and Knowledge
    • O'Shea Lumber Company
      Merchants of Fine Woods

Become a Sponsor today!