Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Hanging brackets for wall cabinets

1/26/24       
Oggie  Member

I am planning to start hanging wall cabinets using a rail on the wall and hanging brackets inside cabinets. My cabinets have 1/2" thick melamine backs that are tongue and grooved in a 1/4" deep x 1/2" wide groove on all four sides. There is also a 1/4" clearance between the back and the final edge of the cabinet. There are no nailers. I can increase this clearance to about 1/2" if need be.

Details are in the attached drawings.

Since I've never used this system before, I would appreciate it if someone could guide me on which hardware would work best with these given specifications. I don't have CNC, so minimal added machining would be desirable, e.g. a simple round hole in the back is preferable to some odd-shaped slots.

I'm also considering using rails on both the walls and cabinets since I don't expect that much need for adjustments if the wall rails are installed correctly (level and straight).

What do you all think?

View higher quality, full size image (2040 X 1335)

1/27/24       #2: Hanging brackets for wall cabinets ...
chris

"French Cleat" Works great for us. Requires a 3/4" inset for the 1/4" back panel instead of your 1/4".
We build our uppers at 13" deep. 13"-1/4"-3/4" leaves us with a 12" interior depth. We also run a pocket holed 3/4"X3" nailer across the bottom so we can screw through the cabinet and secure it to the wall, cover the screw with a sticky dot.
Chris

1/27/24       #4: Hanging brackets for wall cabinets ...
Yavuz Member

Suspension rail we call and a bracket that attaches to the side of the box.
its made of steel and the system works like a french cleat except this bracket has two way adjustment and the members are made of steel.
You need to machine u shape notch for the rail.
Way easier than any other system and flexible.
Good luck.

View higher quality, full size image (826 X 286)

1/28/24       #5: Hanging brackets for wall cabinets ...
Bozzy Member

Oggie, what is the reason you would like to switch to a rail and bracket system?

We install a lot of Italian kitchens(800/year) and specifically ask the manufacturers to use the nailer instead of the rail and brackets. Our installers prefer the nailer. I also think the brackets Yavuz uses scream Ikea and have no place in a custom kitchen. Others are hidden, but more likely to strip when adjusting if you're not familiar with them.

Chris, does your CNC cut out an opening on the gables for the wall portion of the French cleat?

1/28/24       #7: Hanging brackets for wall cabinets ...
Yavuz Member

Bozzy, i still use the nailer system but not all the house's are wood frame construction. When you are dealing with a concrete wall ,nailers basically become a pain and sometimes hard to deal.This "Ikea" type hangers are 32 mm euro cabinetry standard almost every European country.
There is nothing wrong using what makes the job easier and safe as long as the customers does not specially ask and i did not see any of them ask how they hang or install yet :)

1/28/24       #8: Hanging brackets for wall cabinets ...
Oggie  Member

Bozzy,

The reason is to make installation easier and faster.
We make frameless cabinets with 3mm reveals and any imperfections in installation reflects dramatically in fronts alignments problems. I'm trying to outsource installation and gain more time to work in the shop on cabinets fabrication.

Here in Florida, walls are neither straight nor plumb, corners are not 90°.
Installers are mostly used to lightweight (compared to ours 3/4" melamine boxes), face frame cabinets with big gaps between fronts, i.e. no one notices 3mm difference between gap width at the bottom of a door vs at the top in those cabinets, but it makes all the difference with frameless ones.
Installers are almost nailing those cabinets to the wall; they are enough flimsy and with gaps between cases that they can follow the curvature of the walls without any additional considerations.
It's not that straightforward with frameless.
When I have a run of 3-4-5 or more wall cabinets, rarely can I definitely fix any of them to the wall before I screw all of them to each other (i.e. into one big cabinet), support them in a way that they don't distort each other (think of a 36Wx33H wall cabinet attached to the 30Wx15H) and then fill the gaps with shims along the concave or convex wall, and only then start screwing them to the walls for good, making sure screws do not pull cabinets out of square.
This requires a lot of clamps and supports for cabinets from underneath. Although it's not a rocket science, it's very hard to find installers willing to put that much effort.
So, I'm thinking it should be easier to first install the rail straight using few shims and after that I imagine it's just hanging the cabinets one after another, screwing them to each other and then to the wall.

We are not that much concerned with inside look of cabinets. With more and more of those 'robotic hands' for lift-up cabinet doors, pantry pull-out racks, push-to-open gizmos, drawers-inside-drawers, and what not, simple classical looking cabinets begin to look out of place.

Yavuz, who is the manufacturer of those brackets on your picture?

1/28/24       #9: Hanging brackets for wall cabinets ...
Yavuz Member

Oggie, if you google "Peter Meier 875-Z1-24" you will find all the info you need.

1/29/24       #10: Hanging brackets for wall cabinets ...
Bozzy Member

We mostly work on new high rises with steel stud framing and flat stock steel as backing. The walls are typically ok and the space between uppers and lowers is consistent. This allows to install base cabinets first and use a shop built box (~20 tall x 14 deep x 48 wide)that sits on the base cabinets and that supports upper cabinets. It allows us to screw multiple upper cabinet boxes together before fastening them to the wall. Sometimes we use multiple support boxes for longer sections, but most of the time a single box will be enough. Another benefit is that you can slide the uppers side to side if needed.

I also have a friend who installs a lot of Ikea kitchens and absolutely loves their system.

2/11/24       #11: Hanging brackets for wall cabinets ...
Brian

I am a furniture builder but currently building and installing my kitchen cabinets. Did frameless with 3mm reveals as well using Festool Lr32 I used a french cleat runner at the back of the cabinets. To install on my wavy wall I just ran a string and shimmed each cleat to the string. I double checked alignment with a long level and cabinets were shimming at bottom. The came out perfectly square, level (front top and face)

View higher quality, full size image (2016 X 1512)

2/14/24       #12: Hanging brackets for wall cabinets ...
Bruce H

I used wall suspension fittings and rail for fifteen or so years. Their design is for a 1/4" back recessed 1/2" inboard, not sure a half inch back will work, don't think so. The one issue is when the cabinet run ends and there is nothing to screw the rail to. Molly or toggle bolt was the only option to the sheet rock. The other issue is when cabinets went to the ceiling, we made it work but the cabinets need to be raised over the rail and slid down onto it. Notching the cabinet ends and back was no big deal. I used a router mounted horizontally. The ends went in from one side with a flip stop. The backs went in from the other side using a flip stop, both cuts, same machine, no set up.

I have a contractor who likes five foot tall upper cabinets eighteen inches deep. Wasn't comfortable with hangers in that situation. I changed to a 3/4" back screwed from the sides and into the decks. Extremely tough and if the last stud is 12" from the end of the cabinet run it's no big deal. Eventually I changed everything to 3/4" backs, for me it's much easier and faster to install with standard studd framing. A concrete block wall, suspension fittings would be a better choice. I can install a whole kitchen, all cabinets fastened together (euro construction) uppers and lowers without putting any screws into the wall until everything is aligned and sitting in place. At that point I will screw the cabinets to the wall using tapered shims as needed to fit the out of plum and not straight walls.

2/14/24       #13: Hanging brackets for wall cabinets ...
Yavuz Member

I took best of both words.Fast hanging and adjustable with suspension rail and extra weight handling and safety from nailer. Nailer also ties the sides and bottom of the case.
1/4 or 1/8 inches there is nothing to do with back panel.other than making the case square and holding all 4 sides and nailer.
All my back panels are 1/4 inches and 5/8 inches case materials.

View higher quality, full size image (731 X 837)

2/14/24       #14: Hanging brackets for wall cabinets ...
Oggie  Member

Brian,
It's a good system, used a few times in the past. But now, our cabinets have no nailers. We got rid of them in order to simplify and speed up the fabrication of the cabinets. Now the fabrication flows so smoothly and effortlessly that I don't think we'll ever go back to nailers for any reason.

Yavuz,
I never used 5/8" melamine for the boxes, but I understand that it may help preventing deck from sagging in wider cabinets. We use 3/4" for cases and the 1/2" back is grooved into the deck with a little bit of melamine glue and some 3/4" long staples shot from the back at 45 degrees, so we never saw any sag, hence no need for nailer there.
Are you cutting your parts manually or on a CNC?

2/14/24       #15: Hanging brackets for wall cabinets ...
Yavuz Member

Oggie,
i do not trust just the suspension system by it self.
Suspension system rail and brackets are widely use on European cabinetry.
They have concrete wall over there and system works safe and flawlessly.
Here in the States our homes are wood or metal frame over drywall.We are living in California "earthquake" region.
i prefer at lest 4 screws on the upper rail for each cabinet.You have no chance on the frame walls.just 2 .For that reason
I decided extra horizontal member gives tremendous amount of safety and load handling.It ties all three sides and hold it self to the back with the glue.I know it looks like is useless but trust me extra simple detail saves you from future nightmares.
Also there is no nails or anything on my cases.Just glue and mechanical fasteners .
I do not need extra weight on my cabinets.3/4 inches case and 1/2" backing is way over kill for anything but 5/8" and 1/4 " backing is the sweet spot and perfect for me.
I use slider.Cnc is next :)

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • MARTIN Woodworking Machines Corp.
      Quality Woodworking Machinery Engineered and Manufactured in Germany
    • Vexor Custom Woodworking Tools, Inc.
      Custom and Standard Router Bits, Shaper Cutters, Profile Knives, Multi Profile Insert Tooling and More
    • Shop Gear Inc.
      Distributor of Co-matic Power Feeders, Le-matic Portable Edgebanders, and Supplier of Woodworking Machinery, Tooling and Accessories in North America
    • GreCon
      Spark Detection and Extinguishment Systems and Quality Assurance Measuring Equipment
    • TotalFinishingSUPPLIES.com
      Solutions and supplies from spray tips to spray booths for all your woodworking needs
    • WalzCraft
      Custom Doors and Wood Products
    • Scarlett Machinery Inc.
      New and Used CNC Routers and Used Woodworking Machinery, for Operations Ranging From Small Woodworking Shops to Large Progressive Manufacturing Plants
    • WOODWEB, Inc.
      The Information Resource for the Woodworking Industries
    • American Vision Cabinets
      Leading provider of Custom CNC cabinet parts and components and Edge banding services
    • J&P Machines
      Design and Production of Custom Equipment for the Manufacturing Industry
    • Safety Speed Manufacturing
      Economical Vertical Panel Saws, Panel Routers, Edgebanders and Widebelt Sanders
    • Rangate
      Woodworking Machinery, Supplies and Knowledge
    • O'Shea Lumber Company
      Merchants of Fine Woods

Become a Sponsor today!