Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Portable Edgebander

4/1/24       
Michael Member

Does anyone have any experience with the Felder ForKa Edgebander and if so is it comparable to the Festool Conturo?

Thank you!

https://www.felder-group.com/en-us/shop/mobile-sc649236/edgebander-forka-2
00-eco-plus-sp123603

https://www.toolpros.com/festool-576577-conturo-ka-65-han
d-held-edge-bander-w-systainer3.html

4/5/24       #2: Portable Edgebander ...
Rodney Member

I think fetool is pretty expensive but very good quality tool, those portable bander prices are all over the place. The felder one looks just like the chinese stuff you see on ebay 300 to 2k. that my 2 cents.

4/5/24       #3: Portable Edgebander ...
Michael

I think you're right Rodney. There are a lot of portable edge banders on the market that look exactly like the Felder. I'm going to go with the Festool as soon as I do more homework on it.

Thanks for checking in!

4/13/24       #4: Portable Edgebander ...
jamien Member

I ended up with the Conturo about a year ago. After using it quite a lot in a one man shop i have thoughts and suggestions; I did not find it a great tool out of the box, and its only passable now. I really wish i could have found someone to actually answer real questions about them, both before and after using it. The complete lack of instructions/guide was frustrating. If i had space i would be looking a small floor units. Used mostly for solid wood edgeband, both prefinish and raw. If you have questions feel free to ask.

4/13/24       #5: Portable Edgebander ...
Michael

jamien, thank you for your repl they.

I have not purchased the Festool edgebander as of yet and I'm still searching for reviews. I've only found one review outside of Festool and the other 99% of the reviews are from Festool which makes me think they're biased.

Thanks for freshening my thoughts about purchasing a small used floor edgebander.
I would be interested in one that just hot melts the edgebanding on and I'll take care of the trimming and easing myself. Monday I'm going to make some calls and see if I can track one down because I think that's probably the best way to go.

Thanks again for your input!

4/13/24       #6: Portable Edgebander ...
jamien Member

If you don't need the ability to do curves or take it to the site i'd definitely go with a stationary unit. I have made many modifications to the conturo table to try and get it to be sort of that. i tried many different combos of clamping the part and using the bander by hand, but find the (subpar, heavily modified) table option to better for most applications. but then again, next week i have to take it to a site to band big panels. i'm not sure how doing big doors would be with a small stationary unit. for door/panels above the size of easily handled solo i use the conturo out of the table. the current project has several 3'x9' doors and some even larger fixed panels. banding those on a stationary unit seems like it would be hard.

if you get one that just bands (no trimming) take a cordless trim router and make your own dedicated edgband trim unit. i always use the 1/16" radius bit in mine for real wood, but it would work just as well with larger radius bits. all i had to do was add a piece of whatever acrylic i had laying around to half the base to get the stock base above the untrimmed banding. it works surprisingly well, and i'm glad i did not buy the $$ corded festool unit that does the same thing with the tangle factor. i expected to get bearing binding/burning since everyone says that happens, but we've run 1000s of feet in the last month with one bit and no trouble.

4/14/24       #7: Portable Edgebander ...
Michael

Yes, I think a stationary unit is best for me because I rarely do curve and when I do I just use a heat gun. I'm hoping I can find something used that is in good working order. I was looking on Hermance Machinery's website yesterday but I didn't see anything in my price range so I guess I'll give them a call on Monday along with some other machinery companies and see what happens.

By the way, I also took a piece of 1/16'' thick tape and placed it on half router base to get the stock base above the untrimmed banding. Nice trick and very effective.

I did post a thread on the Festool forum group for reviews on the edge bander. I got a few replies but I'll keep my eye out for bias.
Quite frankly I think I'm sold on a floor model since my main business is straight work bookcases.

I'll let you know what happens. It might take a while but I'm in no hurry.

4/14/24       #8: Portable Edgebander ...
Derrek

I had the ne of the portables similar to the Felder. Most I have seen are the same except color. The one I had was a total pile of junk.
I have had the Conturo now for about 10 years. By far a much more high quality unit and works great. We use it mostly for curved parts and occasionally take on job that we might need it on. Well worth the money. Issues I’ve had with it. Optical eye got dirty and threw code. Cleaned with alcohol and qtip. Fan got shavings in it and wouldn’t turn. Threw a code opened it not and cleaned. Long cord twisted funny and pulled cover from my unit. Opened and removed and replaced. The flu puck works great and doesn’t spill like the glue pot does on a portable if not kept horizontal

4/16/24       #9: Portable Edgebander ...
Yavuz Member

Bought a Virutex PEB 250TA portable system last month. Decided over Festool and any other on the market. Built like a tank.Steel and Teflon surface Construction. Came with the stationary base for narrow parts and panels. No plastic or unnecessary electronics that can give headache.Uses Pellet glue and very very easy to swap different color or type glue( one thing i hate on the Festool, glue changing really messy)

What I am stuck on the Festool is the trim router they have.
I know any portable trim router can do the trick when you modify the base but the problem is on the left over PVC shavings.None of them works better like Festool when it comes to dust collection. That plastic shavings are not easy to clean when is all over.The edge banding trim base (1.5 degree) and the attached plastic dust collection accessory is the only one you will ever need if you are doing volume work.
yeah for 1 or 2 pieces just use any router.no need Festool.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • Thermwood Corporation
      Computer Numerical Control (CNC) Routers and Accessories
    • Machine Bid
      Online auction site for buying and selling high-quality machinery. We offer a secure, online bidding platform, featuring CNC routers, Edgebanders, Sanders, and much more; new equipment added daily
    • ETK International
      New and Used Woodworking Machinery, Spare Parts and Superior Service
    • Lignomat
      Moisture Meters and Monitoring Systems
    • Salice America Inc.
      Leading Manufacturer of Functional Hardware for Cabinets and Furniture, Including Concealed Hinges, Drawer Slides, Lift Systems, Coplanar Sliding Door Hardware
    • MARTIN Woodworking Machines Corp.
      Quality Woodworking Machinery Engineered and Manufactured in Germany
    • Country Saw & Knife
      Complete Sharpening Services for Wood and Metal Saw Blades, Jointer Knives, and Bandsaw Blades
    • American Fabric Filter Co.
      Provider of Custom Made Filter Bags and Transfer Sleeves
    • Elias Woodwork & Manufacturing
      Solid Wood Cabinet Doors, Furniture, Dovetail Drawers, Mouldings, and Related Items
    • Simantech
      New & Used Machinery, Supplies, Tooling, Parts, and Abrasive Products
    • Baker Products
      Industrial Woodworking Machines, Wooden Pallet Manufacturing Machines, & Portable Sawmills
    • Holz-Her US Inc.
      Custom Edgebanders, Vertical Panel Saws, CNC Beam Saws, Wide Belt Sanders, CNC Point to Point Boring Machines, CNC Routers
    • Weinig Group-USA
      Wood Moulders and Knife Grinding Equipment

Become a Sponsor today!