Computer Aided Design

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Cabinet drilling questions

1/31/23       
Scott Member

Small scale cabinet/carpentry shop question, Looking for advice recommendations for drilling shelf, hinge, slide holes. Looking for recommendations for both hand drill and possibly router drilling holes. Have a homemade template with vix -5mm and 5mm router bit with 3/8 bushing for couple options for 5mm holes. I am using Hettich hardware so also need to drill 10mm holes, also Picked up a 5mm and 8mm (i think cnc drill bits) they shanks have a flat side on them.
Can i use these flat side shank bits in a router? Any suggestions these drilling operations for a small cabinet job and perhaps what should look toward if i get into bigger jobs small CNC ? All suggestions welcome . Thanks much!

1/31/23       #3: Cabinet drilling questions ...
Thomas Gardiner

The Hettich jigs and drills are very good. Once you are familiar with the setup drawer and front installation is very quick. I use my cnc for shelf and hinge boss holes. Carbide brad point bits with 10mm shanks running at 10000 rpm

1/31/23       #4: Cabinet drilling questions ...
Scott Member

Thomas, have you used the Hettich door 3 hole drilling guide? The 1 with 35mm and 2x10mm. The jig you speak of is that the longer metal 1 that transfers your door spacing to the cabinet? Also please elaborate on which drill bits? Is that the set? Are they retractable/self centering. And lastly i got some bits from a cabinet shop but I think they are for a cnc or boring machine. They seem to cut a nice hole with a drill . They have a flat side on the 10mm shank. There is an adapter available to go from 10mm to 1/4", Can i use these bit in a compact router? Concerned about rpms.
I appreciate all input. Just trying to have options for site drilling and a solid method if I expand beyond a few cabinets here and there.
Thanks much!

1/31/23       #5: Cabinet drilling questions ...
Thomas Gardiner

I have the 5mm and 10mm Hettich drills with sprung sleeves for the jigs. I do not use the hinge cup jig. I either cnc bore my slab doors or use a drill press for wood framed doors.
The drills you have are for hinge bore and insert machines like a Blum mini press. They are great for drilling but a typical hand router speed is too high for them. I use a similar drill at less than 10k rpm in the cnc.

2/1/23       #6: Cabinet drilling questions ...
Scott Member

Thanks Thomas. Any other guys/gals out their with their smaller shop methods for drilling/routing cabinet boxes, doors. Or could someone direct me to the appropriate thread. I'm a bit of a newbie

Thanks much!!

2/3/23       #7: Cabinet drilling questions ...
Quicktrim

The festool LR 32 system is good for what you are wanting to do.

Mine collects dust now that we went all CNC, so its available for cheap barely used if you want to buy it. I would sell it for 60 % of new and also the track saw repeat rip guides if that is of any interest.

You would need a festool router however to use it.

2/3/23       #8: Cabinet drilling questions ...
Scott Member

Think i would go with something like schitt 32 drill the whole panel in 1 setup basically. Thanks for offer have a tracksaw, and shipping anything to Manitoba Canada would be crazy expensive. Think im going to go with template and plunge router for now. Is there any quality entry level CNC machines out there. I think i have seen a Canadian onefinity ? Are they all around 5k
Thanks much.

2/5/23       #9: Cabinet drilling questions ...
ScottO

I usually post as Scott as well, but will change it up from now on.
How many are you planning on doing? Why don’t you get someone to cut and machine your gables? You will probably be further ahead for cost as they will get the material for a lot cheaper than you and will save you a ton of time laying out and drilling.
I would get them to edgeband as well. You can then concentrate on assembly and putting it all together.
I would consider the same for doors. How many are you needing? The door manufacturer will drill the hinge holes for you, it costs next to nothing.
There are also lots of aftermarket jigs to drill the hinge holes that are cheap to buy. Depending on how much of a hurry you are in or where you are located you could probably find a used dedicated hinge machine for sale for less than a $1000. I bought my first Blum mini press for $500 from a shop that upgraded.

2/5/23       #10: Cabinet drilling questions ...
Scott Member

You are correct. Right now doing cabinets for myself and the odd other ,I have the time to drill/route cabinets. If at some point things change i may explore higher production options.
Thanks everyone for the conversation.

4/20/23       #11: Cabinet drilling questions ...
Michael Member

The normal speed of a hand router is too high for such drills. you can try a standard tracksaw)))
In general, large doors etc. are better cut on a CNC router.

https://virmer.com/catalog/cnc-milling-machines/

4/26/23       #12: Cabinet drilling questions ...
Chippy1987 Member

I agree with @Michael on this one and say going with a CNC router is your best bet!

5/22/23       #13: Cabinet drilling questions ...
Jeff

I would waste my time with all those jigs, and routers , or drills, most are expensive when you buy the complete system and then your shelves don’t sit flat as one row is somehow off 1/2 a mm.
Something like trend sells where you use a drill is as accurate as any of them and cheap. If you are going with something like Festool, I would put the money to a line boring machine. Something like the Minimax 21 spindle or SCM makes a 23 spindle. I have seen them sell anywhere from $1200 to $2500 used, they are way faster, a lot more accurate and can also drill horizontally, so if you want to build drawer boxes or cabinet boxes with dowels, you are in business.

7/31/23       #14: Cabinet drilling questions ...
Michael Member

Regarding the homemade template with vix -5mm and 5mm router bit with a 3/8" bushing, this setup can work effectively for 5mm holes. Ensure that the template is securely attached to the workpiece, and use clamps to hold the workpiece in place during routing.

As for the 10mm holes required for Hettich hardware, you will need a suitable drill bit. For larger holes like this, a Forstner bit or a hole saw attachment for the drill can be used. Make sure the drill bit is sharp and aligned properly to avoid tear-out or inaccuracies.

Regarding the 5mm and 8mm flat side shank drill bits, typically these are designed for use in CNC machines rather than routers. It is not recommended to use them with a router, as the flat side shank may not be compatible or secure in the router's collet.

If you plan to take on bigger jobs in the future or explore CNC machines, investing in a small CNC router can be beneficial. This will allow for more precise and efficient hole drilling, as well as other woodworking operations.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors
    • Rangate
      Woodworking Machinery, Supplies and Knowledge
    • TradeSoft
      Seamless Management Software to Improve Estimating, Job Costing, Scheduling, Purchasing, Shipping, and Shop Floor Data Collection
    • KCD Software
      Powerful 3D Cabinet/Closet Design Software with Built-In Touchscreen Mode for Mobile Use with Best Production Practices Including Direct to Cut List, Cabinotch and/or CNC Machining
    • NEMI
      Products For CNC Machines - Digitizers, Tool Setters, Vacuum Pods, Vacuum Cups, Vacuum Tables, Vacuum Chucks and Software
    • INNERGY
      INNERGY is the ERP for woodworkers, by woodworkers. We are birth to death millwork.
    • Thermwood Corporation
      Computer Numerical Control (CNC) Routers and Accessories
    • ECabinet Systems
      Free, Fully Functional Cabinet Design Software and Kitchen Layout Software
    • Cabinetshop Maestro
      Web-Based Project Management Software for Custom Cabinet Shops - Manage Jobs from Prospect to Punchlist Through Scheduling, Task Management, Time Tracking and Communication
    • Cabinet Pro
      Design and Manufacturing Software for the Cabinet and Door Industries Since 1986

Become a Sponsor today!