CNC

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Solid wood cutting.

1/3/22       
Scott

Good morning, Happy New Year everyone!

I have owned my own CNC since around 2010, I have strictly cut cabinet parts with it, mainly all sheet goods, 3/4 inch max generally.

I want to do some solid work, mainly cutting 3/4 inch solid walnut and also building some tables so cutting 2 inch thick solid hardwood and also flattening the table top with a 2 inch diameter spoilboard type cutter.

I was wondering if the feed rates and depth of cuts are similar to the sheet goods I cut, I was also wondering about tooling’s
I have done a lot of reading and was thinking of using the same 3/8 compression bits I always use and multiple passes with the same feed rates as I do for sheet goods.

I just wanted to make sure I don’t have an iissue or cause an issue is maybe a better way to say it.

I will be using an SCM cnc with a large powered spindle.

1/3/22       #2: Solid wood cutting. ...
BH Davis  Member

I'd say the biggest challenge of cutting solid wood vs. panel stock is keeping the part solidly in place. Wood vibration while cutting can quickly lead to under sized parts and bit breakage.

There are a number of methods to hold the wood from screwing it down to secondary spoil board to vacuum pods. Examining the size and shapes of the parts you need to cut will determine what is going to work best for you.

I always found I could cut up to about 1" hard woods, held by vacuum pods, in one pass as long as the parts being cut were large enough, and shaped properly to be able to get multiple vac pods mounted in an arced pattern to do the job. Vac pods in a straight line (i.e. under a straight board) do not hold the wood solidly enough in place.

In the above situation I would cut at 18,000 rpm at about 200 ipm. I'd do three passes, the first a climb rough cut that would leave the part about 3/32" over wide due to part shift on the vac pod gaskets, the second in the same direction to bring the part down to final size, and the third a conventional cut to clean the edge.

BH Davis

1/3/22       #3: Solid wood cutting. ...
BH Davis  Member

Oh, I should add. 3/8" DS HSS bit.

Downcut spiral so the bit was pushing the wood down onto the vac pods instead of pulling up with an upcut spiral. HSS instead of carbide because the high RPM at the low feed rate, needed to help keep the wood on the pods, generates a lot of heat in the bit. HSS stands up to heat better than carbide. Also the HSS is less brittle than carbide so not quite so susceptible to breakage from the wood vibrating on the vac pods.

BH Davis

1/3/22       #4: Solid wood cutting. ...
Jared

Lots of ways to skin this cat. Let me muddy the waters by sharing what works for me: If pods are a hassle like they are on my machine, and if the board won't hold down because it isn't milled dead flat or is too small in surface area, I use 3M 9832 double sided tape. It is seriously aggro and grips like nothing else I've used, and can tear chunks out of the spoilboard if not detached gently. If I'm cutting very small parts that fly away if cut loose, I leave a .040 skin when cutting the shapes out, then flip the board upside down and use more 3M tape to stick it down to some melamine and run the sandwich through the widebelt sander to sand off the skin and leave just the small parts attached to the melamine. It works really well. I've made crazy tiny parts this way.

Tooling depends on wood thickness. I personally can't stand the chatter that 1/4 and 3/8 bits emit when cutting solid wood, so I use a 1/2" 2 flute carbide for most applications. Upshear if the material is really locked down, otherwise downshear. If the wood is thicker than 1.5" I have a 3/4 dia chipbreaker that devours 3" thick maple. All tooling is carbide. If things go sideways, which is more likely with solid wood than plywood, I want the bit to shatter, not bend like I've experienced with HSS bits.

Feed & speeds: google a chip load chart like the one on Vortex's site. In theory you want to go as fast as possible before quality falls off, but in reality the priority hierarchy is: 1) the part must survive, and 2) avoid excess spindle wear by pushing your machine too fast. Premature cutter wear because you're cutting too slow. Depth of cut: definitely don't use the same cutting strategy as sheet goods. With the abovementioned 1/2" 2 flute, I would cut your 3/4 material with at least 2 steps.

1/3/22       #5: Solid wood cutting. ...
duster

A 1/2" carbide downcut spiral chipbreaker is my go-to bit for any solid wood parts I cut that are 3/4" thick or more. I can go up to 2.5" thick, cutting 1/2" each pass. For softer woods like alder, I use a feed rate of 300 ips. For harder stuff like oak, walnut and beech I feed at 200 ips. For round or oval table tops, half of your cut is against the grain and can be prone to tearout. If the final cut is not quite as clean as I'd like, I'll take about a 1/32" more off with a 1/2" compression spiral at full depth at get a smooth edge.

View higher quality, full size image (800 X 498)

1/4/22       #6: Solid wood cutting. ...
RichC

A 3/8" diameter bit is going to be singing a tune, even when doing a final pass on 2" material. I never use a downcut, especially for doing step cutting in the roughing pass. A roughing bit is a must for me and then go to an uncut spiral for the finishing cut. Walnut is definitely not chippy, but a climb cut will help if you have some highly figured stock.

1/4/22       #7: Solid wood cutting. ...
Thomas M Diel  Member

I would add if you can program end grain cuts separate from long grain you will be better off and stick w 1/2"dia or large down-spiral solid carbide w feeds and speeds listed above. The rational was first step through 1/8"per pass conventional CW cut on end grain and round over corners and let it blow out. Then blow n go with long grain climb cuts faster , & cut much deeper depending on vacuum / part holding strength. We did many of one-piece flow jigs for production work by band-sawing everything 1/8" oversize clamp into dedicated jig w Destego clamps mounted horizontal & route dowels / tenons in zone 1. Flip parts over into zone 2 onto mating locating tenons / dowels w dedicated vacuum bleed through for each part; route end grain 1st, and then long grain, for chair, barstool and table parts ready for pre-sand or assemble.

Mcmaster Carr has 3/8" & 5/16" nylon hex bolts & screw mount T nuts for alternate holding of parts if you don't have the numbers for a production type jig. Route in screw-in T nuts from btm of a dedicated 'parts' spoil board was another way to route onesies. In this scenario we would put tabs on end grain 'bolt islands' to hold the part and template route the part free after machining. " Allstar's Adhesive"CNC self adhesive 1/8"th rubber gasket was a goto for gripping the wood in any jig. This type of jig we would slow down the feeds and speeds and listen for sounds of vibration, but it worked.

The easiest way is to glue-up slabs and onion skin multiple part from one blank as mentioned above.

As said many ways . . . Best,
Tom

1/4/22       #8: Solid wood cutting. ...
Mark B

Im in the duster camp.

For me my answer with regards to your original question as to whether feeds and speed are the same is no way in the hot place.

There really is no uniform answer in my opinion especially when your getting into the 2" range even for a cleanup pass. Grain direction, as mentioned edge/long, how much tool engagement, and something I didnt see mentioned is machine rigidity. I'd say that, over spindle power, rules it all. If your machine isnt dead rigid your going to have to do a lot of working around. Chatter cut quality are a bear with solids especially when they are thick.

Like duster says, spirals are a good route. Compressions are a waste. Be careful with up spirals as they can act like a drill bit and rip your work off the table into the spindle. They are attractive for chip evacuation but a catch can be a spindle crushing day.

Avoid full tool engagement at all costs if you can (adaptive clearing if you have the ability. 2 pass clearing for deep stuff if you dont).

Surfacing is pretty straight forward. We surface with a 3.5" insert but realize that you will still need to leave a decent amount of material because you will have a LOT of sanding unless you single pass profile (no raster or offset clearing where tool runs back and forth). Even razor sharp tooling the slight tearout from opposing passes takes a lot to grind out.

1/15/22       #9: Solid wood cutting. ...
Quicktrim

I had a lot of trouble getting good finish on grainy woods like rift oak untill I started using a roughing bit .

If you cut first with a roughing bit and then clean up with a spiral or compression you can get great finish right off the router.

The roughing bit has a lot of wavy lines along the flute and really helps with tear out .

2/16/22       #10: Solid wood cutting. ...
Acctek  Member

What is the percentage of the power of the spindle in the power demand of the entire machine tool? This needs to be analyzed and judged according to the power of the main power. Usually, the main power of the equipment is 70% of the entire machine tool.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Onsrud Cutter Vortex Tool Company T-Tool USA
    Sponsors
    • Colonial Saw
      North American Supplier of Striebig Panel Saws, Lamello Specialty Tools and a Wide Range of Saw and Tool Grinding Machinery
    • MARTIN Woodworking Machines Corp.
      Quality Woodworking Machinery Engineered and Manufactured in Germany
    • Weinig Group-USA
      Wood Moulders and Knife Grinding Equipment
    • NEMI
      Products For CNC Machines - Digitizers, Tool Setters, Vacuum Pods, Vacuum Cups, Vacuum Tables, Vacuum Chucks and Software
    • Industrial CNC
      Affordable, Easy, Industrial Grade CNC Routers for Woodworking and Cabinetmaking - Free Lifetime Support
    • Country Saw & Knife
      Complete Sharpening Services for Wood and Metal Saw Blades, Jointer Knives, and Bandsaw Blades
    • Shop Gear Inc.
      Distributor of Co-matic Power Feeders, Le-matic Portable Edgebanders, and Supplier of Woodworking Machinery, Tooling and Accessories in North America
    • ETK International
      New and Used Woodworking Machinery, Spare Parts and Superior Service
    • 360 Degree Machinery
      Specializing in high end American, European, and select Import woodworking machines.
    • Unique Machine & Tool
      Industrial Machinery for Door and Drawer Production
    • VortexTool Co. Inc.
      Manufacturers of Custom Cutting Tools, and Distributors of Major Cutting Tool Brands
    • ULTI-BOARD
      The Ultimate Spoilboard - ULTI-BOARD - Specifically Engineered and Formulated for the Ultimate in Spoilboard Performance - Not Your Ordinary Sheet of MDF.
    • Professional Machinery Group
      New and Used Machinery Serving the Needs of the Professional Woodworker

Become a Sponsor today!