CNC

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

new guy with CNC questions

1/30/22       
brad hays Member

Hey everybody. Hope this winter is treating you well. Now that I've been frozen out of my shop for a while I've been nosing around the net for some new ideas and came across what was probably a more popular art form in the 70s, but is still quite captivating....parametric wall art design (pic below)...which of course led quickly to studying the gorgeous CNC machines that produce these designs and their associated software.

I like the tiling feature the X Carve Pro offers but I haven't read about it being offered on any other CNC machine. What Inventables calls 'tiling' is where you can cut pieces larger than your CNC table by sliding your wood/material through and let it do one section at a time.

1) Is there any way to make the AVID PRO 510 do this tiling function or is this something only Xcarve has right now?

2) V Carve Pro is SO expensive! Is there ANY way to get it cheaper than it's retail price? I've seen where you can get an activation code if you're part of an educational group, so wonder if that could be cheaper. Also, would be nice to be able to split a subscription with someone.

3) I believe I've seen where Fusion 360 was suggested as a good program to use if you're working with parametric designs. Any opinions on this?

4) And last, I'm still searching for the best forum to ask these kinds of CNC and software questions. If there's a more appropriate place than here please do let me know.

Thanks

View higher quality, full size image (736 X 736)

1/30/22       #2: new guy with CNC questions ...
Richard

Hi Brad,

Look into Enroute. They have excellent parametric texture features that can be tiled. I think the cost is higher than that of V-Carve but they do offer a monthly subscription.

I believe that RhinoCAM may also have a plug-in that produces these type of panels.

Good luck in your search.

1/31/22       #3: new guy with CNC questions ...
james e mcgrew  Member

Tiling is a Vectric (Vcarvepro) feature and is probably offered in other softwares, it is not machine specific it, is a toolpath strategy. take to heart anyone who trys to tell you otherwise. My machine is a 5 x 8 Camaster i cut pieces far larger than capacity and have done well with it, my go to software is Vectric Aspire, I have friends who swear by Rhinos capabilities and I have seen plenty of succesful work with it. If you want to do something similar to your photo make sure machine is rigid frame with enough power to accomplish this. you will burn up small routers and small spindles in short order
1/31/22       #4: new guy with CNC questions ...
james e mcgrew  Member

You can have some real fun and profit when it all comes together

View higher quality, full size image (800 X 532)

View higher quality, full size image (1023 X 682)

View higher quality, full size image (640 X 480)

1/31/22       #5: new guy with CNC questions ...
Mark B

"2) V Carve Pro is SO expensive! Is there ANY way to get it cheaper than it's retail price? I've seen where you can get an activation code if you're part of an educational group, so wonder if that could be cheaper. Also, would be nice to be able to split a subscription with someone."

Im not really sure how you can feel VCarve Pro is expensive. As James mentioned, Aspire is a go-to for many and its far more than VCarve and the bonus with either is your not stuck in a subscription. Its one and done, pay for upgrades as you choose, your software will work in perpetuity if you choose to stay with your current version. This is not the case with many others and subscriptions go up every year like clockwork.

What your finding is that the machine is only a small piece of the puzzle. Without the skill/software/tooling that follows (which can often times be a massive percentage of the total machine cost) your sunk.

Parametric work like that is all going to be on the CAD side.

1/31/22       #6: new guy with CNC questions ...
Jared

VCarve Pro is cheaper than dirt, considering what it does. It's the best value of any CNC software I've used, for certain. Better toolpath editing, better support, better user interface, and more frequent updates than my crazy overpriced $26k cabinet software. If you're a professional, you should be able to easily pay for the software with your first job.

2/3/22       #7: new guy with CNC questions ...
Richard

Hi Brad,

I was looking at your post again and I realised that the photo you posted is not just of an MDF panel that has been carved out. Instead it's a series of pieces that have been cut out and sandwiched together to make that organic, flowing surface. This can still be produced with Enroute by using their texture surface and then the slice tool to slice it into a series of 2D shapes that can be routed out.

I don't have much hands on experience with V-carve or Aspire to know if that they can do this or not ( I am sure other users will have some input) but from what I have seen Vectric makes good, user friendly and cost effective software. I would agree with other comments that the price is very reasonable. The reality is in order to make effective use of your CNC you will require an investment of both time and money into software.

2/3/22       #8: new guy with CNC questions ...
Mark B

The bigger issue with pieces like this is it not really in the cam, its how do you generate the organic shape (.STL, .STEP, whatever) to then be sliced in CAD. That shape in the images has multiple interacting wave contours AND has a little bench/seat incorporated into the wave form. There isnt any piece of sofware that I I know of that allows you to generate those wave forms and then augment them _parametrically_ to where you can create that wall form easily which is why its cool, and why the question is being asked.

These organic shapes are simply not super easy to generate. Textures like what McGrew posted are pretty easy, amplitude, wave, depth, randomization.. but the simple fact is they lack the organic feel that people are trying for.

Its why the water drop, with 2-3 interacting drops, is so hard. Its just not plug and play.

2/3/22       #9: new guy with CNC questions ...
RichC

I had the thought that those textured panels must be a mess to keep clean in a public area. From lint balls to kids dropping a sucker into the grooves of that super contoured piece.

2/3/22       #11: new guy with CNC questions ...
CADMebeli

Check this videos - Rhino + Grasshopper
https://www.youtube.com/c/ParametricHouse/videos

2/5/22       #12: new guy with CNC questions ...
Richard

Actually it's relatively easy to use Enroute to create these organic surfaces and slice them up. They have a parametric surface tool that allows you to create these forms by adjusting dialogue boxes. There's a couple of links here that show that :

https://youtu.be/5X0WkmadhoI

https://youtu.be/0MMTheiUzF4

Then they have a slice tool that you can see here:

https://youtu.be/oIC08EXemWg

Regarding the comment about the bench, I am pretty sure that you could merge that shape into the panel.

As for keeping it clean, that's not my problem!!!

2/5/22       #13: new guy with CNC questions ...
Mark B

Even enroute's generation tool for this is not technically parametric in a dynamic sense. Even in your videos its one thing to create a texture (repeating) or with some randomizaton but these organic shapes with multiple interacting wave fronts, then add in the bench.. is far from easy.

I know you mentioned the bench but its very far from a simple component to add to a model. Again, look into these type models that generate solids from something like a multiple water drop on a surface where those wave forms interact.

As crazy as it seems... the organic interaction of those waves is what draws people into these type of shapes. Its not a simple process. When they are generated via quick math (sliders and value boxes) they just never have the same feel. Then again, you add in sculpting a bench... its a LOT of work.

2/5/22       #14: new guy with CNC questions ...
Mark B

Rich C,
Even a cold, sterile, Orwellian, monolithic slab, meant to be easily cleaned is not easy to clean in a public space. Medical spaces and hygiene even often times coexist with beautiful shapes and textures.

If we all had to live in spaces designed by the functional logic of the average Midwesterner (not that thats you), I'd imagine cleaning blood and brain tissue off the surfaces would be a design criteria due to the misery of peoples existence in a world of square corners and government surplus battleship gray.. Conjures up the memory of what we were programmed to thing the USSR was in grade school.

I would be utterly delighted to walk around the corner of a corridor and see that "thing" hanging off the wall. Even if it had an everlasting gobstopper permanently jammed between two segments.

2/5/22       #15: new guy with CNC questions ...
Richard

You're probably right Mark. I can imagine that if someone had the had the skills and creativity then a form designed from scratch would likely be far more pleasing. I suppose it comes down to how much time you have to invest in such a project. It could be that farming out the creation of the STL file would be the way to go. Then it would be a fairly simple process to get it out to the CNC.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that at times function has to give way to beauty, otherwise life is just too dull!

2/28/22       #16: new guy with CNC questions ...
Acctek  Member

Syntec controller
The system stability is very good, powerful functions, the operating software is simple and easy to learn, the man-machine operation is friendly.
Professionally applied to high-end cnc router machines, the anti-interference ability and control accuracy of the control system are superior to other types

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Suction Cups, Vacuum Lifters, Vacuum Pumps from Anver Corporation ecabinet systems.com Thermwood Limtech Industries, Inc.
    Sponsors
    • Colonial Saw
      North American Supplier of Striebig Panel Saws, Lamello Specialty Tools and a Wide Range of Saw and Tool Grinding Machinery
    • MARTIN Woodworking Machines Corp.
      Quality Woodworking Machinery Engineered and Manufactured in Germany
    • Weinig Group-USA
      Wood Moulders and Knife Grinding Equipment
    • NEMI
      Products For CNC Machines - Digitizers, Tool Setters, Vacuum Pods, Vacuum Cups, Vacuum Tables, Vacuum Chucks and Software
    • Industrial CNC
      Affordable, Easy, Industrial Grade CNC Routers for Woodworking and Cabinetmaking - Free Lifetime Support
    • Country Saw & Knife
      Complete Sharpening Services for Wood and Metal Saw Blades, Jointer Knives, and Bandsaw Blades
    • Shop Gear Inc.
      Distributor of Co-matic Power Feeders, Le-matic Portable Edgebanders, and Supplier of Woodworking Machinery, Tooling and Accessories in North America
    • ETK International
      New and Used Woodworking Machinery, Spare Parts and Superior Service
    • 360 Degree Machinery
      Specializing in high end American, European, and select Import woodworking machines.
    • Unique Machine & Tool
      Industrial Machinery for Door and Drawer Production
    • VortexTool Co. Inc.
      Manufacturers of Custom Cutting Tools, and Distributors of Major Cutting Tool Brands
    • ULTI-BOARD
      The Ultimate Spoilboard - ULTI-BOARD - Specifically Engineered and Formulated for the Ultimate in Spoilboard Performance - Not Your Ordinary Sheet of MDF.
    • Professional Machinery Group
      New and Used Machinery Serving the Needs of the Professional Woodworker

Become a Sponsor today!