CNC

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

missing air fault.

10/30/23       
Shawnn Mcmow

So we had an issue with our compressor being shut off during a cut process on our SCM Pratix 48NST cnc, which cause a PLC26 emergency missing air fault. Upon resetting our system, and having everything restored to a working state, our CNC wont let us do anything to move the CNC. we cleared the error, but the Green power button wont light up and will not allow us to move or calibrate the router head. any help will be greatly appreciated.

10/30/23       #2: missing air fault. ...
Dropout Member

Likely another reset somewhere.

Or a Z over travel if it settled down.

10/30/23       #4: missing air fault. ...
Shawnn Mcmow

I have gone thru all the typical resets, up to and including safety button resets.
I had thought of a z over travel, but the process required a less than full depth pass and the router is a half inch or so above the table. what is the process to raise the z depth? I have tried to manually turn to raise the height, but it will not budge, and I don't want to damage anything.

10/30/23       #5: missing air fault. ...
Dropout Member

At this point we would grab the wiring diagram and start tracing the e stop circuit.

E stop pressed in that you don't know about?

And I only ask because we've done it - are you sure there is air to the machine?

Sometimes on older machine e stops and safety switches sometimes are dirty and there is no contact when reset - need to check for voltage across them. We've replaced many e stops that wouldn't reset properly.

10/30/23       #6: missing air fault. ...
Shawnn Mcmow

Funny enough, all the e-stops have been replaced recently, and the only one that was used has been on the Cabinet, is in working condition, and the proper run position.

10/31/23       #7: missing air fault. ...
Michael Folan

It sounds like an overtravel somewhere. Turn off air and manually push the gantry in X and Y. The spindle should be away from tool changer area, the machine knows then it can't collide with carousel. Check limit stops for dirt/ grease and blow out. You may hear a click when moving things around, this will enable you to go to to Xilog and go to Manual to move things around. If you get the Z axis above an acceptable height you will be able to do a calibration

10/31/23       #8: missing air fault. ...
BH Davis  Member

Physically look at all the limit switch and make sure none of them are engaged. Then as said above power down and move the x and y axes. Then if at all possible raise the z-axis.

If the problem is elsewhere this won't solve it. But it will let you know the problem is elsewhere.

BH Davis

11/2/23       #9: missing air fault. ...
Shawnn Mcmow

A Z depth over travel is the same conclusion we have come to. The weird thing is the Z is actually 5/8 above the table. We have tried to raise it up but because of the braking system we have not been able to find a way to manually raise the spindle up to clear the problem. SCM has not been the best of help in regarding this, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

11/2/23       #10: missing air fault. ...
Dropout Member

What is the type of braking system?

There should be a Z axis over travel over ride for such an occasion?

What control on the machine?

At times we have had to put a jack under the Z axis to move it back into place.

11/2/23       #11: missing air fault. ...
Shawnn Mcmow

We think it is an electric blocking deal. I have put a bottle jack under the spindle and put pressure in it, as well as tried turning it manually with the CNC turned on, off, with air, and without air, to no avail. We are able to move the X and Y axis with no problem, but the Z will not move. It seems odd that there would be a problem elsewhere considering it was working fine before the tech cut the air.

11/2/23       #12: missing air fault. ...
Dropout Member

Do you have all the manuals and wiring diagrams?

11/2/23       #13: missing air fault. ...
Dropout Member

Just a thought

There may be 2 motions on the Z axis. A pneumatic plate that moves the Z up and down for tool changes as well as the powered Z with a brake.
It could be that the combination of the air pressure drop and the Z down and the reset could have the machine confused.

In a Monday morning startup with no pressure, the pneumatics may be collapsed but the driven Z would be up. In this case they are both down so the control doesn't know what to do.

It's also likely that the pneumatics won't go up unless the driven Z is up so it's hung. When homing, the sequence would likely be driven Z up then pneumatic Z up, then home.

If the pneumatic cylinders are at the bottom you may need to manually move the valve to get them back up.

11/2/23       #14: missing air fault. ...
Rob Pierce

The Z axis has a brake. So it's not good to try and raise it with a bottle jack. What is the serial number of the machine?

11/2/23       #15: missing air fault. ...
Shawnn Mcmow

It's a Pratix 48 NST H with a piggyback drill bank, no hand controller,
serial #AA1/015777.

11/2/23       #16: missing air fault. ...
Shawnn Mcmow

I am familiar with Thermwood CNC's that also have a brake, so when I put the bottle jack under it, I was very careful with only putting a bit of pressure on it just to see if it would move.

11/2/23       #17: missing air fault. ...
Rob Pierce

On the back wall of the electrical cabinet you will find 3 LED lights called the XEM. If all 3 are on it is not an over travel switch. If that is the case check the 13A1 PILZ unit, it controls the safety circuit. You must have continuity between wires 111 and 112. If you don't you will have to trace the circuit between those two wires. You will find the circuit on page 10/11 of the electrical diagram.

11/2/23       #18: missing air fault. ...
Shawnn Mcmow

Ok so all three lights are off. just to verify the module is about knee height, 3 LED . some of the wires going in are labeled X04, Y04, and I2.4.

11/2/23       #19: missing air fault. ...
Rob Pierce

Check if the spindle cooling fan is on, it is mounted on top of the electro spindle. Also, inside the electrical box mounted on the Y axis underneath the centralized dust ports check the C1A1 relay. You must have 24vdc on wire 304 to ground and also wire 305 to ground.

11/2/23       #20: missing air fault. ...
Shawnn Mcmow

the spindle fan is on, but we have a part push system on the carriage so its quite difficult to get at that electrical box.is there another way to get at those wires to check them?
and if that relay is fine what would be my next check, or resolution?

11/2/23       #21: missing air fault. ...
Rob Pierce

The rake is mounted to the X/Y gantry, so if you push the Y axis head to the front or back you will have room to get to the box. if you do not have power on 304 to ground, the problem is likely the light curtain, if you have it on 304 to ground but not 305 to ground the problem is either the C1A1 or the spindle fans speed sensor.

11/2/23       #22: missing air fault. ...
Shawnn Mcmow

So this is what my electric box looks like, I don't see anything labled 304, or 305.

Unless I am in the wrong spot.

View higher quality, full size image (4000 X 3000)

11/2/23       #23: missing air fault. ...
Shawnn Mcmow

So after moving the rake over to access the electrical box, and activating the light curtain, I noticed that the 3 led on XEM are now on.

11/3/23       #24: missing air fault. ...
Michael Folan

It's nothing as simple as offcuts and aluminium steps between the light bars in front of machine?

11/3/23       #25: missing air fault. ...
Rob Pierce

C1A1 must be in the main electrical cabinet. But you don't need to check that because it is working or those LED won light at all. If all 3 are on then you should be able to get power. If you can't get power make sure that both 13KA1 and 13KA2 are turned on and that you have 24vdc to ground on wire 113 of 13KA2

11/3/23       #26: missing air fault. ...
Shawnn Mcmow

No it's definitely not as simple as that. The steps are for me to get onto the table, and the offcuts have migrated because this machine has been down for a week now.
Not all people are as stupid as that. At least I am not.

11/3/23       #27: missing air fault. ...
Shawnn Mcmow

Sorry, my apologies. I am just a bit frustrated, I have been operating, and doing small and medium fixes on various brands of CNC's for almost, and I have never have had a machine suddenly shut down due to an air fault and not be able to get the errors cleared and it functioning again.

11/3/23       #28: missing air fault. ...
Rob Pierce

If you can't get power make sure that both 13KA1 and 13KA2 are turned on and that you have 24vdc to ground on wire 113 of 13KA2

11/3/23       #29: missing air fault. ...
Shawnn Mcmow

Ok I dont have 24vdc on wire 113 to ground on 13KA2

11/3/23       #30: missing air fault. ...
Rob Pierce

Ok, check to see that you have 24vdc to ground on 13KA1 on wire I2.16 which is going to the coil A1 on the relay.

11/3/23       #31: missing air fault. ...
Shawnn Mcmow

So there is 2 wires labeled I2.16 does it matter which one I test?

11/3/23       #32: missing air fault. ...
Rob Pierce

either one will work.

11/3/23       #33: missing air fault. ...
Shawnn Mcmow Member

So a huge shout out and thank you to Rob Pierce for all of your assistance! Huge appreciation.

4/4/24       #34: missing air fault. ...
Scott

I am a little late to the party, but I would second what you said about Rob, he is a rockstar when it comes to SCM CNC’s , maybe other brands as well.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Onsrud Cutter Vortex Tool Company T-Tool USA
    Sponsors

Become a Sponsor today!