Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

The fight begins

5/9/15       
sam Member

I have a customer who is a contractor and has put our products in his house and his clients houses. We painted his stuff with an opaque finish 7 years ago and he is now complaining of wear through at high traffic ares. He has a client who also is complaining. Last year I remade his clients sink base doors because of water damage which she swore was not water damage. Now i`m being asked to make doors again and they are both upset of wear through and chipping.
The best part is his sister is a lawyer!
Where does 1 draw the line. Our warranty stops at wear and tear. There is $20,000.00 in repairs here and I don`t have that kind of money.
What would you do?

Thank you

5/9/15       #2: The fight begins ...
Robert Member

What type of coating are you applying?

5/9/15       #3: The fight begins ...
sam Member

It was nitro with 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of top coat. The top edges of drawers and waste bin edge is wearing through.
Everything is made with hard maple. I was also told when they dent the cabinet it chips.

5/9/15       #4: The fight begins ...
Robert Member

Were the edges eased prior to applying the finish? Also, Nitro coatings are not the best at warding off water damage or chipping.
Most product catalogs recommend against using them for items that are being installed in areas where they will be subjected to moisture.

Its unfortunate but wear through and chipping can be expected when using a Nitro coating.

5/9/15       #5: The fight begins ...
jim

There are plenty of cars out there where the finish has failed......not sure they are still under warranty.......?

7 years......? Need to keep a "good" client.....stay out of court. Offer to meet them in the middle. Because the cabinets are way past the industry standard of a one year warranty. Suggest a discount on a new conversion varnish finish...... Cheaper then a lawyer.

5/9/15       #6: The fight begins ...
sam

Actually I do not have to save the customer.
The customer is 300 miles away.
Looking back in our records we shipped his product 9 years ago and his client`s 7 years ago. The 2 doors that were repaired last year were very abuse in my opinion. No matter what there was for a finish the damage would have happened. Water was pooled on the door rail from spillage and not wiped multiple times. I replaced free of charge. I feel as though no matter what I loose.
I have cabinets in our shop from the same era painted with the same process and paint and really need to beat it to chip it.

5/9/15       #7: The fight begins ...
rich c.

7-9 years on a nitro finish in a kitchen is extraordinary. No way that the finish should be warranted forever. The caveat will be what was specified in a contract. No duration to a warrantee in the contract, then I guess it will be a fight to prove what implied duration of the warrantee will be. Hard to imagine that the repairs will amount to $20,000. That must be one big kitchen!

5/9/15       #8: The fight begins ...
mastercabman

$20000?
That's a lot of money just for doors and drawers
I can put a new kitchen for that price! Lol
However, most maybe all cabinets manufacturer will tell you that warranty is void if water damage

5/10/15       #9: The fight begins ...
sam Member

$20,000 is an estimate for the total refinish of an 8'x3' island, laundry bath room, and another 2' x 8' island. All are beaded f/f.
When I remade the 2 doors he insinuate that she was the cause of the damage but the lady was very upset so he wanted the best for his customer. The lady is a family friend and he doesn't want to deal with her frustration so it is being passed to me. I mean I have really bent over backwards for this fella. I remade the water damaged doors, finished and shipped free of charge.
One customer was not happy with a trash can slide out ($200.00) so I swapped it out free of charge and had it drop ship to her door for installation. Another was teenager running through the kitchen and hooked his clothing on a door knob and bent hinges so we sent out new ones for free. I truly feel as though it will never stop. I haven't done a job for him for six years. There is always talk about a job but I haven't seen one in six years. I think I'm done.

5/10/15       #10: The fight begins ...
Jim

If your customer is so concerned......he should pay for it.......

5/10/15       #11: The fight begins ...
Jim Conklin  Member

WOW!

Don't do or say anything, and see what happens.

My bet? They will go away. But as long as you respond, they will push.

5/11/15       #12: The fight begins ...
Jim Miers

In my experience these people unfortunately exist but fortunately are far rarer than the latter. You seem like a nice guy that bites his lip to make people happy, and that can bite you in the rear as you have realized. There are some that no matter how hard you try to please them, they cannot be pleased and are forever bitter and interested in taking advantage of nice people. I don't buy the nitro/CV finish that others have mentioned. Sure there are stronger, more durable coatings available, but without proper care and common sense it will wear no matter what you spray it with under the right conditions. No referrals in 6 years and they are still after you for freebies? I wouldn't warranty over a year, let alone that long. I would tell them that normal wear and tear and water damage is not included, especially after this much time. If they don't want to pay for your time to fix it, then just ignore it and hope it goes away. Sure they could go after you legally, but you clearly already did your part ten fold and they are never satisfied. If you help them again, you will surely get taken up some time at a later date with the same problems.

5/12/15       #13: The fight begins ...
ML

From the face of this post, I'd say walk. You've done your best, over and beyond. While I don't advocate Nitro for kitchen, bath or laundry cabinetry - the one saving grace is ease of repair. But that's not the question here. Politely tell the GC you are done. Period.

The following is our warranty disclaimer on all our contracts (wording per our lawyer - which, after 45 years has never needed to be tested). No squawks from any customers on signing, no claims for follow up after years of use. I have had an occasional (nitro) water problem, but switched to CV with nary an issue since. Here's my warranty as included in all our contracts:

"Any risk of loss or damage from theft, malicious mischief, fire or anything else is the responsibility of the Buyer immediately upon either pickup at our shop or delivery to the Buyers address. All hardware warranties shall be as per manufacturers terms. Any work performed by Contractor shall have a one year warranty for workmanship and labor. Any finishes applied shall carry a one year warranty against checking, peeling, fading or bubbling, or any other manufacturers defects. Normal wear and tear, stains, nicks, scratches, and/or any water or moisture damage of any kind is not covered under this warranty. Because of the inherent movement of wood (expansion and contraction), results of this movement is not covered under our warranty."

I'd be interested to see others post the wording of their warranty.

5/12/15       #14: The fight begins ...
Bart

These people have some nads! NINE and SEVEN years! You gotta be kidding me. Typical for defects is one year and some go to 3yrs. If you got 7/9yrs out of nitro that's magical. It typically fails ASAP.
I'd go with Jim C's recommendation and sit tight and then if they call explain to them warranties aren't forever and offer them new doors etc...at a fair price

5/13/15       #15: The fight begins ...
Denny J

I agree with the above and would add that you should ask the builder how long he warranties the homes he builds against cracks in the sheetrock, concrete driveways and sidewalks and the paint on the walls from scuffing or changing colors as well as his warranty for scratches, wear and tear on hardwood floors.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)