Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Mixing dye in 2k poly?

6/13/16       
Mike Fuson

I've been using strictly dye for the last couple years and my finish rep told me that I could mix a couple once of the dye in a gallon of the poly. That might be what you fellows call toners? I was just wondering if any of you guys do this and is there pros and cons? I do a lot of deep rich colors and wondering how hard it would be to achieve a dark color with this method. Thanks
By the way, im using Mohawk dyes and Chemcraft Verde 2k.

6/14/16       #2: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
Jim

I to am interested in others advice to your question. How do you like the Verde 2k and what does the pakage cost?

6/14/16       #3: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
shenendoah

use only acetone based dyes

6/14/16       #4: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
Mike fuson

Jim, I used cv for years but I'm doing a lot of the 2k now. Dry times are fast and the sealer sands like a dream. I think the poly, sealer, and hardener all run around $35-$40 a gallon. I use the medium reducer also. My only beef with it is that you can't use oil based glaze with it. I'm getting ready to try some water based. But I have used some of Mohawks breakaway glaze with it and had really good results.

6/15/16       #5: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
al

Mike,
Which has more odor 2k poly or cv? I personally don't like the off gassing of cv.

6/15/16       #6: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
Jim

Thanks Mike F.
Do you find it a lot more scratch resistant then CV?

I love the scratch resistant properties of CV by far over even post cat lacquer. I was wondering if 2K poly was another large step.up in hardness/scratch resistance??

Thanks Jjm

6/15/16       #7: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
Mike fuson

Al, cv off gases much more than the 2k. Nowhere near the odor with the 2k
Jim, it's definitely a step up in scratch resistance. Even more than that though is the moisture resistance. I finished my island top with it and it has held up great and my kid is rough with it when it comes to the hot wheels cars. Much better product than the cv in my opinion.

6/15/16       #8: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
Jim

Chem craft needs more suppliers/distributors .....shipping is expensive and inconvenient and slow....!!

6/15/16       #9: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
Paul Snyder  Member

Mike,

You can use dyes with 2K PU - no problem. Mix the dye in with your reducer and then mix the reducer with the finish.

You'll need to experiment a bit with the ratio. If you're using uncut dye concentrates then 1/2 - 1 oz per quart of finish will be plenty. If the dye comes reduced, then you may want to double the amount.

You should not expect to get all your color from the toner. Yes, it can be done pretty easily, but has a laminate look you may not like. Better to get at least half your color from a dye and stain (both can also be sprayed) then use the toner to get the final shade and depth of color (my opinion).

Here's a picture of a maple step board. bare wood at the bottom, then dye, then dye plus stain, then dye plus stain plus toner and the very top is 2 coats of toner.

If you haven't bee spraying toner, I'd recommend you start with a light mix and practice spraying to avoid stripes. if you get a run you're pretty much stuck with a stripe in your color.

6/15/16       #10: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
Mike fuson

Thanks Paul. That's the info I was looking for. Especially about mixing the dye with the reduced. Good tip.

6/19/16       #11: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
jimmy cream

last time i bought Verde 2 gallons resin and one gallon hardener came to about 140 bucks.....a bit over 45 a gallon . buying by the pail wasnt any cheaper .

Paul......if you dont mind me asking , could you explain your use of "toner" ?
is this a highly thinned coat of color sandwiched between topcoats ? or an unthinned topcoat with color added ?

it seems some folks refer to both techniques as toning.....or shading stains.....or some other regionally accepted terminology

6/20/16       #12: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
Sam Member

Hey Mike, great question. One thing to remember is that toners are originally intended to be used to even the tone of the wood. So if you have one door or flitch of wood lighter than the other you can tone it up to match the rest of the job with out sanding to bare wood and re-staining. The danger in doing an intire job with toners is consistency. You must spray at exactly the same rate through the whole job, or risk getting a stripe as another poster pointed out. Another problem is that if somebody nicks/chips the finish it usually takes the toner coat off which means you lose all color in that area making it difficult to do a repair. No drop filling tiny spots, for instance. I try never to rely on toning as a finish for the whole job. You can get a darker color this way but since all color is now laying on top of the wood instead of penetrating into it, it will be a muddy color with little grain showing.

6/20/16       #13: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
Mike fuson

Thanks Sam, that makes perfect sense. I'll probably stick with what I'm doing.

6/20/16       #14: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
Sam Member

I'm curious Mike, what type of dyes are you using and what is your application method? I use a lot of Chemcraft Aqua dyes for any true custom matches.

6/20/16       #15: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
Mike fuson

I'm using Mohawk dyes, acetone based. I use a gravity gun with a 1.0 tip. Pressure turned down to where it just like a sprinkling rain.

6/20/16       #16: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
Sam Member

Awesome. It's nice to hear someone applying ngr dyes the right way. Most guys try to crank up the pressure but it only leads to halo's in the corners and uneven spots. One reason I use the alcohol/water dyes is because if the slower drying time. Therefore you can shoot a little faster with more presure, if you desire to, and no halo's at all. But it does raise the grain.
Let us know how you like the 2k poly. I've been considering changing to it strictly for the moisture protection.

6/20/16       #17: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
Jim

Mike F
"sprinkling like rain" ?? Is that a gental fog or a soft ......spitting? Sorry , not getting a clear picture. But very interested.....

6/20/16       #18: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
Paul Snyder  Member

Jimmy,

You can use it thinned or un-thinned depending on your preference. If you plan to use multiple coats of toner, it's better to seal the surface and then spray thinned coats. That way you don't have to worry about building up the film thickness too much. Once you have the color you like, then apply a regular clear topcoat to provide the durability you want.

There are a lot of terms like toning, shading, sap stain, etc. that seem to mean different things in different parts of the country. That's why I usually like to explain what I mean when I use those terms.

To follow up on what Sam was saying, if you use stain to make a toner (a lot of people do), the pigment in it will mask the grain of the wood if you apply a little too much. There are times when you will want to do this on purpose, but most of the time it's better to use dye so the finish stays transparent and doesn't give you a muddy look.

I often use toner because it creates a depth of color that looks very nice. The two pieces below are an example. The piece on the right has been stained, the other has toner added. On items like this I also add a glaze step to accentuate the dimensional characteristics of the mill-work.

View higher quality, full size image (795 X 596)

6/20/16       #19: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
Sam Member

Good call Paul.
I suppose I do use it as a shader more than a traditional toner. I only use dye when making a toner/shader and even then I've seen it begin to get a muddy look to it. Of coarse that depends on how much dye is in the mix and how many coats are applied.

If I'm trying to get a darker tone I use a more concentrated mix of dye on the raw wood. I don't care for the plastic look that toners can get. What you've done looks very nice. How do you avoid the "ultra uniform plastic" look?

6/20/16       #20: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
Mike fuson

Jim, I really don't know the right terminology I guess. Like Paul said different terms mean different things. What I've come up with has been by trial and error. I constantly adjust my gun depending on what I'm spraying. More fluid and less pressure and wider spray pattern on flat surfaces and the opposite on like face frames. To much pressure creates a cloudy effect and won't get into crevices. I want an even saturated look. That's the best I know how to describe it.

6/20/16       #21: Mixing dye in 2k poly? ...
Mike fuson

Thanks for the pics Paul. That really helps. I'm going to do a few samples and tinker with it a little.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)