Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Cerusing with glaze/ does a good water based exist

1/31/17       
Kevin Member

So im new to using water based coatings and made the horrible mistake of using mohawks finishing glaze between coats of water based top coats, obviously it just peeled right off. so i stripped the job down and tried general finishes water based glaze affects and it worked yet it was sooooooo time consuming. the problem ive noticed with water based glazes it dries super fast and it takes allot of rubbing to take the finish off the top and for it to stay recessed in the grain. and if you wipe it off to fast your just taking it out of the grain, defeating the purpose. does anyone know of a better water based product to use to be able to achieve the finish im going for? or some better methods with out having to use solvent based finishes?
attached i have the finish i got, came out great but god knows i lost a but load of money on that finish.

View higher quality, full size image (3024 X 3024)

2/1/17       #2: Cerusing with glaze/ does a good wa ...
Dave Edgerton  Member

That looks amazing! I've used the Gf primer and sprayed it on and then sanded it back to get similar results. I cut it with water about 5o percent. It may not look as good as what you did with yours

2/1/17       #3: Cerusing with glaze/ does a good wa ...
Bart

That looks nice Kevin. You're right on big projects it gets a little crazy with it drying out so fast. GF makes a retarder. After that episode I switched to retarder. I haven't done a big glazing job since but it does give you more time.

2/1/17       #4: Cerusing with glaze/ does a good wa ...
Pat

I've experienced the same problem. The extender/retarder helps, but not much. Golden Paints used to make a nice WB glaze in pre-mixed colors. They discontinued that exact product, but I plan on trying this next time:

Golden Slow Drying Medium

2/1/17       #5: Cerusing with glaze/ does a good wa ...
Nick

depending on your wb finish. try spraying some dirtex (squeeze trigger bottle) on your wiping rag to reopen and clean-up your glaze. this method has worked great for me with wb glaze on SW Kem aqua plus allowed to dry over night . it did not work well on any Target product as it lifted the finish as well as the glaze so test first.

2/1/17       #6: Cerusing with glaze/ does a good wa ...
Pat

I also learned today that ML Campbell sells a WB glaze and a line of WB dyes and stains that I haven't tried yet. I'm trying to arrange a demo of their new WB products with my Atlantic Plywood rep. Kevin, feel free to PM me if you want to come down for that.

Cheers,
Pat

2/2/17       #7: Cerusing with glaze/ does a good wa ...
Denny J

Gemini used to make a WB spray dry wipe glaze that dried very quick and then let you remove what you didnt want. That was my favorite product for glazing.

I believe other companies make a similar product,some that bite harder than others.

The products are similar to the mlcampbell amazing glazes.

2/2/17       #8: Cerusing with glaze/ does a good wa ...
Travis W Member

Kevin,
Great job on the finish. While I can't add much in response to your question would you mind sharing your finish schedule on that cabinet. We've been getting several requests lately for similar finishes on White Oak. We have gotten close but not as good as yours appears to be.

Thanks
Travis W

2/2/17       #10: Cerusing with glaze/ does a good wa ...
Kevin Member

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, i will definitely be looking into all those products. Denny J, ive used those fast drying spray glazes before but years ago before i really new much about finishing at all. we used them to antique corners in molding then used a brillow pad to remove access, do you think i would penetrate the tight nit grain of rift white oak?
Travis W- my finishing schedule went as follows.
1. since using water based products i dampened the wood to prevent grain raise
2. sanded with 150 to take down the high grain
3. wire brushed all the surfaces by hand (you can use and angle grinder with an attachment to really penetrate the grain, really all depends on the look your trying to achieve)
4. sanded with 220 to a nice fine smooth finish, while making sure not to over sand.
5. i used an oil based stain on this job, let the stain dry for three days
6. prior to sealing i wiped all the surfaces down with 1:1 water and denatured alcohol to remove any access mineral spirits on surface ( as water based products do not bind to still drying oil based stains)
7. 1 coat of sealer, then light scuff with 320
8. 2nd seal coat, not sanding this coat because i wanted true transparency to the hard wood after wiping off the the glaze. i found if you sand the sealer it just gives more of a surface for the glaze to bite to, which i didnt want.
9. this is where it sucked. wiped the GF glaze effects on small sections at a time of my pieces bc of the dry time. this took allot of practice to get the timing right but id say after 2-3 min or so i started wiping what i could of with a rag then went back into it with a red scotch brite, having a cup of water next to me keeping it damp. be careful not to flood the surface with water because it will end up removing the glaze from in the grain.
10. one last seal coat which i then scuffed
11. finally 2 coats of top coat.
Its a very time consuming finish! make sure you charge for it. Believe me i learned that the hard way.

2/2/17       #11: Cerusing with glaze/ does a good wa ...
Robert Member

White Latex Paint, thinned down works wonders.

2/2/17       #12: Cerusing with glaze/ does a good wa ...
Rick Mosher  Member

For what it's worth I used Camger Coating Hi Hide Water Based Sprayfill #202-010-3-1

I posted my basic process on my blog a while back

Do the Ceruse

2/2/17       #13: Cerusing with glaze/ does a good wa ...
Pat

I've always applied glaze on top of a clearcoat vs a sealer. The slickness of the clearcoat makes it easier to wipe the excess glaze off. Still sucks, though. I've been hoping this finish goes out of style before I have to do it again.

3/10/17       #14: Cerusing with glaze/ does a good wa ...
Matt

Bust the grain open as much as possible with steel brushes. Topcoat with 1 very modest seal coat of clear sealer, then scuff sand it with 320.

Thin down your waterbased primer and rag it on like stain over the top of your clear sealer coat. Wipe off excess while it's wet, following the grain.

Use a gentle sander like a Surfprep or maybe a fine sanding sponge to knock off excess haze or dust, leaving the white in the grain.

Topcoat with a few coats more of your preferred clearcoat.

3/10/17       #15: Cerusing with glaze/ does a good wa ...
Matt

By the way, i can assure everyone that the two most important steps in this whole process is to 1) Bust the grain open as much as possible with steel brushes, and 2) Spray a modest coat of clear on (we use conversion varnish thinned 10%).

You can find white powder glazes at many finish suppliers, but it's almost entirely talc powder, titanium dioxide, and naptha.

Ragging them on forces it into the grain quite quickly

3/15/17       #16: Cerusing with glaze/ does a good wa ...
Jim Conklin  Member

Stain and seal the wood as you will. Apply the WB glaze as you will - retarders or not. Get rid of the excess with Scotchbrite red abrasive pads or Abralon pink pads.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)