Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Lacquers vs water finishes

12/6/23       
rich Member

Had one of my reps come by today and we ventured off into different finishes. We currently spray ML Campbell Hi Performance whites, MagnaClaw primer, MagnaKlear or MagnaMax pigmented. The water based finishes sound like they have come a long way-this rep sells Envirolac. Anyone have any thoughts on switching to water based finishes? We have occasionally used water based finishes. The last time was several years ago. It was always at the request of a client who had sensitivity to lacquer based odors and such. For those with experience do you use it without the catalyst? I like the shelf life that comes with non catalyzing material. Thanks for the feedback.

12/6/23       #2: Lacquers vs water finishes ...
RichC

Your same question started in the late 1980s. They have come a long ways since then!

12/6/23       #3: Lacquers vs water finishes ...
rich Member

I suppose the follow up to your comment RichC is have they come long enough to use as a general finish including in kitchens and baths

12/6/23       #4: Lacquers vs water finishes ...
RichC

Absolutely yes

12/6/23       #5: Lacquers vs water finishes ...
RichC

Absolutely yes. If they hadn't improved it in 40 years, it wouldn't still be on the market!

12/7/23       #6: Lacquers vs water finishes ...
Adam

We've been using MLC waterborne finishes almost exclusively since about 2005. Before switching brands, why not try some of the MLC. Your rep will probably give you a couple of cans.

12/8/23       #7: Lacquers vs water finishes ...
rich Member

Adam
Well that is really a different story. We have been buying ML Campbell products from the same supplier for 20 or so years. We have been generally well treated and all. A few years back our salesman flaked out and was in and out of some treatment type place and finally just vanished. So now we don't really have a source that is easy to get a hold of to get info, help solve our problems, etc. It sort of pissed me off that they haven't felt the need to get a new rep. There is someone at an other location we can reach out to but they are busy dealing with their own customers, etc. So, all that being said, this is partially a reaction to the idea that we have no rep so if we switch to a new type of products we would need a rep.
Adam what was it that made you switch to waterborne, especially that far back. We have used Aqualante a few times (probably that will tell you how long since we used waterborne) and some General Finishes when pushed by a client request but was always told the material wasn't quite ready for prime time.

12/8/23       #8: Lacquers vs water finishes ...
Mastercabman

I switched a year and a half ago to waterborne
Mlc solvent based like WVP,Turino,Krystal has been my go to coating
I now use MLC arroyo 1K
I also like to use Renner when Im refinishing cabinets on site
Renner has a top coat (765) that can be applied thick without any sags
It is called "super hang"
Works well for verticals
Arroyo is a little thin compared to Renner so you need to be more careful
I still think that CV has a better feel when it's all done but waterborne is getting better and better
But so far I think Arroyo is as close to CV
I would talk with your mlc representative. And try it

12/8/23       #9: Lacquers vs water finishes ...
Adam

Rich,

I was trained(5 years) in a high end shop that only used solvent. Several of my coworkers also had spent time in their careers at the Guild Custom guitar shop. It was obvious that the chemicals were causing them damage. I also had a ton of experience working on wooden & fiberglass boats. Likewise saw a lot of damage in the older guys who worked on boats.

I'm also one of those people that is willing to invest a bit of time in different products if I see a real possible benefit. I was willing to spend the time to learn how to spray waterborne so I wouldn't have to spray solvent. Back then I bought about 10 different cans from the best manufacturers and did test panels.

There are no rules. You can use solvent pigment on cabinet doors, waterborne on drawers, and 2K on countertops.

There have been numerous threads on WW about drawers stinking for years from CV off gassing. What would be the argument for using CV vs a high quality waterborne on a drawer? It's not dry time, durability, or any other property. Maybe equipment. Buy another spray gun and save your health.

12/8/23       #10: Lacquers vs water finishes ...
Scott

Water base finishes have surpassed solvent based finishes. The water base coatings like Envirolak, Renner, Centurion, Sayerlack, ICA and others will blow the doors off of your ML Campbell products.

You can use a lot of these products as a single component or you can add a hardener to them, you will find some of them have a really short pot life when used with a hardener which is a pain.

The other thing you will notice is the cost, they are more money than your lacquer.

I sprayed boat loads of ML Campbell and Becker Acroma, over the years, I started spraying ICA, Envirolak, Renner and Sayerlack as these are available in my area, I would never consider going back.

12/9/23       #11: Lacquers vs water finishes ...
Yavuz Member

Only lacquer i use is precat and only water base i use is 2k or 1 k poly for wood substrates.
depends what location and depends what kind of budget and etc.
for example never use lacquer for bathroom and wet locations.High traffic areas or table tops.

There is nothing to do with company names here.only the type of finish and formulas.For me 2k poly gives you way above protection than lacquer or conversion varnish.It is bullet proof. take the hammer and try to beat after 3 day. Get some small samples and test and see your self.

The only thing will drag you is the equipment and dry time frames.If you don't have a proper spray booth and drying station you will regret.Especially in winter.
About Health problems and issues,You have to take great precaution while spraying and using. Waterbase is not any less harmful than lacquer or conversion.Trust me on this.Protect your body and lungs including eyes while using catalyzed materials.Full poison !

12/10/23       #12: Lacquers vs water finishes ...
JeffA

I don't think anyone would argue that water based finishes have lower emissions than solvent. I know that the feel off the line with water based can feel a bit tacky or not as slick as compared to solvent but over time like a couple of weeks they feel the same in my opinion. What really hits me is when Adam can claim that people he knows are 'damaged' because of using solvent products. And he just knows for a fact that it's the solvents. I'm sure that everyone he knows that is experiencing 'damage' live a pure and healthy lifestyle. Like eating the absolute best, don't over indulge in alcohol or smoke. Don't go thinking that water based finishes are any safer than solvent. There are water soluble solvents in many water based products like butyl cellosolve and alcohols. And the formaldehyde release in catalyzed finishes is just as high between the two. We all react differently to products that we come across in our lives. Let's not just put a blanket claim out there saying it's because of 'this' when you really don't know. Just my opinion.

12/12/23       #13: Lacquers vs water finishes ...
tracy nauman Member

Good morning.
I have a question for you professionals. We have been spraying Duracoat from Mohawk. My Kansas City supplier deals with Mohawk finishes. They offer a line of water based products called Enduragreen I would like to try. We typically spray with an airless. We also have a Sata jet 1000 cup gun. I have a kitchen to sand down and refinish. They recommend using the Enduragreen brushing urethane on the cabs inside the house and a Enduragreen Acrylic clear top coat to spray the doors with at my shop. What are your thoughts? They say an airless is not a good choice to spray water based materials out of. I think Titan and Graco offer a low pressure fine finish tip for this. Made to spray with the airless turned down to a low setting. If the cup gun is best what size tip would you guys use. I am not a professional finisher but try to do my best. Thank you for all of your help.

12/13/23       #14: Lacquers vs water finishes ...
Scott

Tracy,

I am just wondering why they are saying you shouldn’t use an airless sprayer?

Most of the airless sprayer manufacturers that I know of make fine finish tips. I have sprayed lots of water base coatings with an airless sprayer with amazing results.

Some of the social media folks are also now adding a separate air supply to an airless sprayer and using AAA guns like the Kremlin Xcite. When I say social media I am talking of people with full fledge finishing shops doing boat loads of work.

I think with most products you can get good results with most equipment, it just may take a little experimenting.
I own Sata and 3M gravity cup guns, airless sprayer with a Graco gun, pressure pots with various guns, CA Technology pumps and my favourite is my Kremlin air assist stuff, but I wouldn’t be afraid to spray most coatings with any of it.
Sometimes if the coatings are thick and you are using a gravity feed gun it is nice to get a set up that adds pressure to the cup.

Anyways all the best.

12/16/23       #15: Lacquers vs water finishes ...
Adam

JeffA,

"I just know"? The people that I "know" are good friends & coworkers of mine. I only "know" what they have told me. I'm not assuming anything. Have you ever met someone who worked for a couple of decades in a fiberglass boatbuilding shop that used polyester resin, styrene and acetone on a daily basis? Or people who worked in a shop for years spraying or around guitars that were sprayed with lacquer. I'm not talking about one or two people that I've met.

I "knew" that I didn't want to start my career in the same manner. Those people warned me to always use the best safety equipment and to avoid the solvents as much as possible. Off gassing CV and cleaning up with lacquer thinner tick that box.

Given the choice of working with waterborne products or solvent, I chose to avoid the solvents as much as possible. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I was asked a direct question and I answered it. Personally, after 30 years in those industries, I don't believe my health has been affected in a meaningful way. I also have been very careful to use the best safety gear I could afford along the way. Frequent changes of respirator filters, forced air when spraying iso 2K urethanes, proper spray booths & ventilation. Be safe.

12/16/23       #16: Lacquers vs water finishes ...
Scott

I would agree with others, you need proper PPE and ventilation equipment. Spraying water base is just as dangerous to your respiratory health as spraying solvent based. Some manufacturers say it may even be worse in the atomized stage while spraying.
Be safe out there.

12/17/23       #17: Lacquers vs water finishes ...
Nick

I've been spraying finishes for close to 50 years...and still do on 5-6 days per week basis. I work in a smallish but prosperous area. I spray solvent based 2k urethane on restuarant and homeowner tables or other high wear/ moisture prone areas. For kitchen/bathroom cabinets, store fixtures l have been using a European WB 2k for both clear and pigmented finishing. I really like the less fumes and the finished product. I've all but quit spraying CV and life in the shop is better without it. Another benefit is both the excess solvent /wb 2k polys dry to hard mass that can be taken to the dump in my area where as the post pot life CV is expensive to expose of.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors
    • SAMES North America Corporation
      Precision Spraying Solutions From Pumps To Complete Application Systems-Design and Manufacture of Process Equipment Including Airspray, Airmix, Airless, Rexson Dispense, Electrostatic and Powder Coat
    • Simantech
      New & Used Machinery, Supplies, Tooling, Parts, and Abrasive Products
    • TotalFinishingSUPPLIES.com
      Solutions and supplies from spray tips to spray booths for all your woodworking needs
    • Unique Machine & Tool
      Industrial Machinery for Door and Drawer Production
    • Carter Products
      Band Saw Guides, Blades, Wheels, Tires, Line Lasers and 2D Projectors, Wide Belt Sanding Accessories, Vacuum Holding Systems and More
    • EX-FACTORY INC.
      Offering New & Used Woodworking Machinery including Auctions & Liquidations

Become a Sponsor today!