Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Anest Iwata pump question.

1/29/24       
Roger Member

Hey guys,

This is my first post but I’m a long time visitor. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and expertise with others.

The company I work for does mostly custom homes and remodels/bathrooms/kitchens. We do a limited amount of cabinet work but enough for us to want to upgrade our spray system.

I’ve got a salesman coming Wednesday to demo an Anest Iwata 17:1 AAA pump. He claims it is comparable to a Kremlin or Graco…just somewhat cheaper.

Hopefully the spec sheet for it uploads with this post.

Do any of y’all have experience to know whether this pump is worthwhile?

Thanks,
Roger

Click the link below to download the file included with this post.

Anest_Iwata_MSU32_17_1_pump_package.pdf

1/29/24       #3: Anest Iwata pump question. ...
herb johnson

first off, how often do you spray and do you change colors or materials a lot?

sure it is an equal but, if you only have a one gun system, the pump is kinda oversized not really a bad thing unless you have to start changing colors and materials.

here is why, has big outlet filter that holds a lot of material that needs to be cleaned out, second the gun may be a little stiff as it has an small tip filter at the fluid inlet of the gun, also adds weight to gun and may be a little over kill for me.

a 17-1 ratio is right on target although you might depending on coatings be able to use the 13-1 pump. one thing i found interesting with iwata is how they rate the fluid delivery of their pumps," 0.93gal/min (3.5L/min)
Maximum Cycle 92cycles/min " if you ran a pump that hard you would need to super glue it to the floor, most every other spray eqpt company rates their pumps at 60 cycles a minute.

also they use bsp fittings on air and fluid so if you need a new airline to the gun you would really have to crank down hard if you only had a nps "a more universal fitting in the industry"

all in all, pumps last only as hard as they are run, the more cycles per gallon, = higher flow rates , means more up and down strokes for the displacement rod and packing.

to me sound like you only might need a 13-1 or like a 15-1 kremlin, binks, cat , wagner industrial or graco, all of which imho have more distribution here in the states and a larger customer base

hope this helps let me know if you have any questions

good luck,
herb j

1/29/24       #4: Anest Iwata pump question. ...
Roger Member

Thanks for your detailed response.

Just to clarify a few things you said...

You said the pump is a bit overkill--are you referring to the pump ratio? The salesman recommended that ratio since we wanted to be able to spray coatings like SW Emerald Urethane as well as thinner cabinet coatings.

" has big outlet filter that holds a lot of material that needs to be cleaned out, second the gun may be a little stiff as it has an small tip filter at the fluid inlet of the gun, also adds weight to gun and may be a little over kill for me."

Is this something that Kremlin and Graco guns do not have? Would there be a small Graco or Kremlin that would be more suited for spraying one or two gallons at a time? What type of AAA would be most effective for spraying smaller amounts of finish?

1/30/24       #5: Anest Iwata pump question. ...
herb johnson

i went ahead to the sw site and looked for their application guide, was not worth {worthless imho} much just the standard bs, seems to me they are more detailed on their industrial coatings than this one

Spray - Airless:-----my comments, would not recommend, old thinking
Pressure 2000 p.s.i.-------my comments, how about a range
Tip .013-.017 inch---------.17 tip at 2000psi, better have your roller skates on

HVLP System: Graco ® HVLP 9.5, number 3
or 4 needle and cap, two-thirds air pressure,
number 5 material setting. Single turbine, no
reduction.

but the important thing is if it can be sprayed with a turbine, imho, it can most likely be sprayed at aaa pressures well less 1000psi. my guess only will be 700psi hydraulic or approx 50psi on the pump regulator of a 15-1 ratio pump.

yes, units like graco, binks, cat, wagner, kremlin do not come standard with external 100 mesh or so fluid filter. they are built into the gun handle for easier maneuverability. but they do have a final filter so to speak as described above.

since you are only spraying 1-2 gallon at time, i would not go with the higher gpm unit. overkill, at 1-2 gallons at time, you would be fine with say a binks, graco, cat, wagner aa, kremlin with a lower delivery rate.

which brand to buy, first off, i would be looking at the company you are buying from, the units in terms of performance are all very close in terms of ratio and gpm delivery but does the person selling you the unit, really know the unit and understand how to set it up correctly and troubleshoot it?? do they stock parts or do you have to pay extra for drop shipped parts from the factory? in other words are they paint supply house or finishing distributor. some can do both well, most can't imho

i would take the money you save by getting the smaller pump and get a little larger of a range of tips, for example, .11., .13, ...15 in various widths based upon your knowledge of what you typically spray. keep the tips wet after use. also get some spare gun handle filters and white tip seals. also look to see if you can get some w/b cleaner like acrastrip or a similiar competitor. makes clean up much much easier, never in my days did i think a w/b would be effective but my thinking was quite dated. w/b high quality cleaner similiar to or equal to acrastrip really friggin work.......i am an old mek guy :-}

also before any haters come on and blast me for not liking iwata products, just the opposite. i am talking about the size of the pump not the quality of product.

1/30/24       #6: Anest Iwata pump question. ...
Roger Member

So something like a Merkur 15:1 might be an easier gun to handle?

1/30/24       #7: Anest Iwata pump question. ...
herb johnson

just look at any of these guns , ca tech bobcat, binks aa, wagner, 4100, graco, all have internal filters

also i forgot to mention one thing, be sure to get a high atomizing spray tip, referred to by many different names, sometimes called a pre atomizing tip, or fine finish tip, what it does , is disturbs or disrupts the laminar fluid before it reaches the tip. for a w/b i would certainly suggest it. also get a demo from another mfg to compare. or two. then have them give best price. just don't settle one on brand before a demo. if they aren't willing to do a demo, see ya, etc. you will be spending probably around 2k plus.. you are the customer, see the guns , test the guns for that kind of money, you will also get to see the salesmen knowledge and he will most likely be your point of contact going forward after you make a purchase decision.

good luck
herb j

goodlu

2/1/24       #8: Anest Iwata pump question. ...
herb johnson

roger what did you finally decide upon?

2/2/24       #9: Anest Iwata pump question. ...
Roger Member

Well, the salesman and the Anest Iwata rep came and did a demoed a 17:1 unit for us. Both guys, but especially the rep were very knowledgeable. The pump sprayed everything we tried excellently. We sprayed some Zinsser 123 primer with it and it laid it down beautifully, as well as spraying nice coats of lacquer. We even ran it some on a small pancake compressor.

The external filter you mentioned as a downside is optional and mostly used in multi gun setups I understood him to say. The gun comes standard with a filter in the handle.

I asked about the NPT and BSP fittings. The rep said that all the air fittings are NPT. The BSP fittings are strictly for the fluid side of things...so that people don't try to use air fittings on them.

All in all, my two bosses were there and were impressed. My boss is cutting them a check today for a unit. We're hoping it will dramatically speed up our shop spraying and that it will allow us to spray more on jobsites with less of a mess than airless.

The gun comes standard with a 513 tip. We're going to try it out and see if that works for most of our needs.

Thanks Herb for all the suggestions. They definitely helped me ask the Rep better questions. Hopefully the new unit makes itself worthwhile.

2/2/24       #10: Anest Iwata pump question. ...
herb johnson

thx roger for the update, also the 513 is a pretty wide tip, i would try and "work them a little" bit for like a 411 and 413 sizes. always glad to help, i love spray eqpt questions, you will see a DRAMATIC difference in overspray btw, i am guess you need about a very stout 3hp to run the machine, probably like at least 10-12 cfm i would ask you rep specifically what cfm not so much pressure it takes to run the gun and the pump. almost any compressor can make 60psi but it is the volume output or cfm that will make the difference on a successful jobsite.....be sure to determine that.....good luck i would also recommend getting some tip seals, gun handle filters, and cleaning needles for the tips.....many of that that stuff you can find good deals on ebay, i have. also ask for the smallest id, siphon hose you can id and length, you are not pumping roof cement, usually most companies oversize them too much and thus takes a lot more thinner to clean out

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors
    • SAMES North America Corporation
      Precision Spraying Solutions From Pumps To Complete Application Systems-Design and Manufacture of Process Equipment Including Airspray, Airmix, Airless, Rexson Dispense, Electrostatic and Powder Coat
    • Simantech
      New & Used Machinery, Supplies, Tooling, Parts, and Abrasive Products
    • TotalFinishingSUPPLIES.com
      Solutions and supplies from spray tips to spray booths for all your woodworking needs
    • Unique Machine & Tool
      Industrial Machinery for Door and Drawer Production
    • Carter Products
      Band Saw Guides, Blades, Wheels, Tires, Line Lasers and 2D Projectors, Wide Belt Sanding Accessories, Vacuum Holding Systems and More
    • EX-FACTORY INC.
      Offering New & Used Woodworking Machinery including Auctions & Liquidations

Become a Sponsor today!