Cabinet and Millwork Installation

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Cabinet installation

2/18/17       
Anthony Hernandez  Member

I recently discovered that I am working for an unlicensed cabinet shop as an installer. What type of ramifications could I be held liable for as an employee?

2/21/17       #2: Cabinet installation ...
Chris

You don't necessarily need to be licensed to make cabinets. Here in California you only need a license if you install cabinets.

2/21/17       #3: Cabinet installation ...
Matt calnen

What is the purpose of licensing cabinet installers?

2/21/17       #4: Cabinet installation ...
rich c.

Your state requires a license to build cabinets?

2/21/17       #5: Cabinet installation ...
TonyF

Anthony Hernandez:

If by unlicensed you mean that the shop does not have a business license or is not registered with the state as a corporation or LLC, then as an employee your only concern would be whether or not they are paying your state/federal taxes and FICA/Medicare. If you are a sub-contractor for installations, then the onus falls to you to obtain licensure.

If it is your concern that you are out installing something and an inspector asks for your license number and neither you nor your employer has one, it is hard to say who bears the responsibility, especially if you know your employer does not have one and you continue to install anyway.

Generally speaking, licensure is only required for installations, as it is the view of most states that you are much like a general contractor.

In my state, if you deliver a piece that is freestanding, then no licensure is required; however, if you fasten the item to the structure, then you are a "home improvement contractor" and require the proper license.

You may want to place an anonymous call to your state licensing board to determine your liability under the circumstances, or better yet, contact an attorney.

Good luck.
TonyF

2/21/17       #6: Cabinet installation ...
Anthony Hernandez  Member

By unlicensed, I mean no contractors license to install the cabinets that are made at the shop. I am one of the cabinet installers that does the installs on the jobsite, AKA customers homes.

2/21/17       #7: Cabinet installation ...
Matt calnen

I guess that's the best example of the nanny state. Do you need a license to hang a door to? Run molding? God forbid an unlicensed contractor put up wall paneling. Thank god I live in a somewhat free state

2/22/17       #9: Cabinet installation ...
TonyF

Anthony Hernandez:

There is a possibility that your employer does not know that installation licensure is needed. He/she may also have an arrangement whereby they use the license of the general contractor for the projects you are installing on.

I don't know your relationship with your employer, but you might consider approaching them and telling them your concerns. They may thank you for bringing it to their attention, they may tell you of arrangements that you are unaware of, or they may shoot the messenger. The good in this is that you would then fully understand the situation.

Since you seem very concerned, perhaps a little information gathering is in order, so that you may make an informed choice. You may want to do this as discreetly as possible, to avoid confrontation with your employer, if that is a concern.

TonyF

2/22/17       #10: Cabinet installation ...
Bruce H

If you are an employee the responsibility falls on your employer. If someone comes by and asks for your license, your employer would provide it. As an employee you don't have much responsibility. If you are a sub contractor then you would be required to have a license. In Oregon you can not hire a sub contractor, who has a license, to do work unless you also have a contractors license. This means that a home center can not hire a licensed contractor to do installation (they collected the money and paid the installer) unless they also have a contractors license. The way around this is if the home center has the consumer pay the contractor directly. They, then would not be contracting, only referring the work. This is a tactic the carpet shops use with their installers.

2/28/17       #11: Cabinet installation ...
cabmaker

Who is responsible if you drive a screw through the plumbing?

2/28/17       #12: Cabinet installation ...
Matt Calnen

The installer and his/hers liability insurance.

3/2/17       #13: Cabinet installation ...
Matt Calnen

To cabmaker, who is responsible if the cabinetmaker does a shoddy job building the cabinets? Perhaps we should have the government make us box makers get licensed. And if we go there, maybe they should have government inspectors at the plywood mills and out in the woods making sure no one makes a mistake and we are all protected. I'd sleep better at night.

3/2/17       #14: Cabinet installation ...
Cabmaker

Matt,

Are there any regulations you do approve of?
If so, what is it you like about them?

3/2/17       #15: Cabinet installation ...
Matt Calnen

I just can't see any reason why a cabinet shop would need to be licensed by the state. I've never even heard of such a thing, and the installer licensed? Who comes up with this? The cabinet installer handles no building structure, does not connect wiring, does not connect plumbing. Those tasks are completed buy other licensed trades.
Michigan just made flooring installers be licensed incase they have to set a toilet in a remodel situation. This is way out of line and just another ignorant government intervention in our lives

3/2/17       #16: Cabinet installation ...
Cabmaker

Matt,

I agree with you that a lot of regulations are pretty ridiculous. Some, however, are useful. Some don't exist yet but probably should.

There are regulations for building a house. I personally would rather live in a house that I was certain had been inspected for issues that are not readily apparent. I think it is a good thing that you can't put too many outlets on a single circuit. Is probably a good thing that you have to vapor barriers and certain size nails on 16 inch centers.

We all probably agree that VOC statutes are a good thing to protect the environment. My question, however, would be why does the cabinet shop require a paint boot to capture overspray but that same painter can spray on site without any protection?

I personally think there should be a $50 waste disposal fee for each gallon of paint you buy. Every can you bring back for proper disposal should rebate you $30. Without an incentive to properly dispose of excess paint it will end up down the drain or in the toilet.

Should cabinets that hang on the wall be held with a certain size fastener? Probably. How to enforce it? I don't know.

This might have something to do with licensing.

3/3/17       #17: Cabinet installation ...
james e mcgrew Member

In South Carolina a 2 k bond and an llr license is required to install in residential. Commercial has no requirement.

3/6/17       #18: Cabinet installation ...
dustartist

In California, you need a contractors license if you want to install cabinets in a customers home or business. No license required to manufacture.

3/15/17       #19: Cabinet installation ...
Franko Shaughnessy

Here in Florida some of the larger counties require an install license. Bunch of hacks from other states have ruined it for those of us who know what we're doing .

3/17/17       #20: Cabinet installation ...
Matt Calnen

Just wondering Frank, how does licensing a contractor turn them from a hack to a quality person? A lot of licensed trades around here suck. Does the inspector judge the quality of the scribe fit and pass fail on that? Does he pull screws out to make sure they are long enough and hitting studs? This just seems like such a joke to inspect cabinetry installations.

3/17/17       #21: Cabinet installation ...
cabmaker

Matt,

Licensing gives the customer an opportunity to verify that the installer is a legitimate company with requisite bond & insurance etc. If there are tests involved to acquire a license this license can also be a testimony to competency.

If the tests are rigorous then it will be harder to get the license. If it is harder to get the license then competent people like you will make more money.

3/18/17       #22: Cabinet installation ...
D Brown

Not sure about everywhere but here in Oregon, for a cabinet shop or maker to get his ticket all you have to do is pay the fees and take the required hours of core classes and business law and such then at renewal every 2 years we need to do more CE continuing education . There are no tests to demonstrate our ability or knowledge about cabinetry.

Electricians and plumbers have a much more difficult entry barrier to get a ticket.

As has been stated basically the license
and bond and insurance are to protect the consumer. Also gives the ability to file a lean which I have never done in 35 years.The Oregon law reads if you affix anything to a piece of real estate you must be licensed .

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)