Sawing and Drying

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

RE: Best Chainsaw for Ripping Logs

5/17/21       
Kenneth

What is the best chainsaw for ripping hardwood logs such as red oak, white oak, maple, cherry, and walnut?

Most of these logs are 2 to 3 feet in diameter and 10 to 20 feet long.

Also, are there any other inexpensive machine equipment to rip logs effectively?

5/17/21       #2: RE: Best Chainsaw for Ripping Logs ...
rich c

What's a dollar amount that you consider inexpensive?

5/18/21       #3: RE: Best Chainsaw for Ripping Logs ...
John Member

Husqvarna 3120XP and Stihl MS-880 are the big buys. The 395XP and MS-660 are sufficient for anything up to 3' diameter, however, and substantially less money though still not cheap. Those would be the ones I'd look at. I use a 385XP. It's been a great saw for 15 years but I always have wished for just a little more power.

John

5/18/21       #4: RE: Best Chainsaw for Ripping Logs ...
Kenneth

In response to Rich C., our budget is up to $1000.

Thank you.

5/18/21       #5: RE: Best Chainsaw for Ripping Logs ...
rich c

A Granberg mill and ripping chains will get you up around $300-$350. So the best chainsaw you can get is something that costs $650-$700. That won't get you very much past a 30" bar.

5/19/21       #6: RE: Best Chainsaw for Ripping Logs ...
Mark B

Im pretty much with rich here. Your going to be scouring ebay/craigslist/FB yardsale hoping to find a combo that will run for $1000.00. Your base saw buying new will be far more than that but you may get lucky used. Hard part is those big production saws at least around here command top dollar even used (unless they are stolen).

5/19/21       #7: RE: Best Chainsaw for Ripping Logs ...
John Member

Unless you are way out in the hinterland you'd be better off finding someone with a portable sawmill to mill logs for you. I cut several thousand bf with my chainsaw mill. It's really hard work and slow. 200 bf was a big day in 24 inch oak logs. Now I cut 700 bf with much less wear and tear on me or my bandsaw mill. Larger, more automated mills will do 2 or 3X that.
A chainsaw mill is the lowest cost route to get into milling logs; that's why I went that route in the beginning, but it's still not really cheap. I spent about $1000 for my 385XP and Granberg mill 15+ years ago; now it would be $2000. One ripping chain for my saw now costs $80. With luck I can mill 100 bf before I need to sharpen it. My mobile bandsaw mill cost $7000 two years ago. The blades cost $20 and sometimes I can cut 1000 bf before I need to sharpen it. If you hit a few nails both are toast, but you are only out $20 for the bandsaw blade.
Like I said, if you are out where there's no way to get a bandsaw mill to the logs or the logs out to a mill, fine, get a chainsaw mill. Otherwise, find someone with a bandsaw mill. I charge $0.40/bf to cut logs for people, so it's pretty economical if your logs are free. That $2000 you didn't spend on a chainsaw mill rig will buy you 5000 bf of cut lumber.

John

5/21/21       #8: RE: Best Chainsaw for Ripping Logs ...
Mark B

On top of location the killer is how many of the logs are actually 36" and how many in the lot need to be truly sawn at 20'. Those will typically be your achilles heel in finding a custom sawyer. A 36" log is a lot to handle on most anything but a very large portable mill and I'd imagine unless custom sawing is huge in your area the 20' logs will present a problem.

We've opened up 36" logs routinely on a mill that will saw 25" boards but its a bear and Id imagine the bulk of those doing portable custom sawing will top out at 17'-18' logs if that.

But John is spot on. Unless you a have uber huge logs (read 48" slabs) that are beyond the capacity of even large band mills you'd be far better off finding a custom sawyer or even tracking down a used manual bandmill but 36" will push the limits and I'd say you'd be fab'ing or buying extensions if you really need 20' material.

5/22/21       #9: RE: Best Chainsaw for Ripping Logs ...
Tom Gardiner

Do you have friends or relatives who are prepared to help you muscle a mill down the log? And by my calculations one 8/4 board 30" wide by 16' long could weigh +325 lbs when green. That means more than one helper.

5/26/21       #10: RE: Best Chainsaw for Ripping Logs ...
Mark B

Heavy slabs and flitches are just part of sawing. If you have the capacity to handle the log you'd darn well better have the capacity to handle that log cut into small pieces. Kinda like being able to blast a cow, hang it, bleed it, and not be able to handle the hamburger.

5/27/21       #11: RE: Best Chainsaw for Ripping Logs ...
rich c

Mark B.
When the OP says he has up to $1,000 for a sawmill, I don't think he will have a forklift to handle slabs.

5/30/21       #12: RE: Best Chainsaw for Ripping Logs ...
Bill Gasow

As far as the best chainsaw to use I'm a Stihl man myself. I live in the Pacific Northwest and we have some big wood out here. A while back I bought a Grandburg mill and a ms661. I can't imagine what an 880 would be like (As far as weight and handling I mean). That 660 goes pretty fast through Douglas-fir, ponderosa pinee and sugar pinen as long as I have a sharp ripping chain. To tell you the truth, if I had to do it all over again I'd get a portable band sawmill. Chainsaw mills are less efficient and they have a big wide saw curf. Whatever you do it takes some muscle to get the log up on blocks or rounds, not to mention carrying the slabs and stickering in them. I love doing this stuff so it's okay for me. The one fellow said just hire somebody with a portable mill that's the way to go if you just want some boards in a hurry. Bill Gasow

10/7/21       #14: RE: Best Chainsaw for Ripping Logs ...
George Member

I also use an MS661 and love the saw. But I run out of power on Oak and logs over 24 inches. I generally quarter the logs first, which has two advantages: 1) cutting the widest width when the chain is sharp and 2) the later cuts are narrow when chain is duller, but have proportional more power to push harder without bogging down the saw. This allows for better chips than dust. The slower you go, when power is limited, the more heat that is created and with the smaller chips, the chain gets dull quickly. I sharpen every 8 to 10 cuts on 8' logs.

Note about rip chain. Do not get Grandberg rip chain. The concept of grinding off partial parts of teeth is flawed. Their chain is not on par with the concept of saw blades (ATB or TCG) where each tooth cuts a different section of wood. All they are doing is put the load on a few teeth to do the work, but has the friction of the partial ground teeth going through the Kerf. This is not the same concept as skip chain where the whole tooth is removed.

I did a thorough review of their chain and of course, they did not post it. I have two of their chains and tested it against the Oregon 72RD. Done 1000's of bd ft to compare in multiple hardwood species. The 72RD is superior, cuts better and lasts longer.

Love the MS661, starts well after sitting for months, and the new M-Tronics is awesome. If I had to do it over, I would have sprung for the 881 Magnum series. weight is not a factor when on the log. I end up pushing way too much with the 661 to the point of bogging down, which dictate the speed and time through the cut. It is more work in the end verses an 881, harder on the chain, bar, etc. Get the Max power you can get for wide hardwoods.

Other tips: since taking off the chain in a grandberg mill is a hassle (have to take off the mill), I sharpen on the saw. I bring both files and battery operated Dremel with chainsaw grinding bits. I also use a lighter wt oil with the pump wide open to provide maximum oil. The eco friend saws of today do not throw enough oil for a 24" inch cut in oak. I built and tried an additional oil supply at the bar tip, just inside the tip sprocket, but turned out to have limited gain. I end up using Stihl Platinum oil (which is 40 wt) plus Stihl Winter (blue jug) that is 10 wt. I get a ratio around 20 wt, which flows well around the bar. BTW - The orange bottle, Woodcutter, is 30 wt. See the MSDS from Stihl on their oils.

Final tip: Since each log needs a flat cut with an external rail-set first to guide the first cuts, the height has to be changed frequently between that and final thickness cuts, I have height block for 4/4, 5/4, 8/4, etc that I put under each end of the mill when changing heights. This provides consistency of cut thickness as I switch thickness heights for each log. I do not have to mess with the number gauges, which can be troublesome from end to end tightening.

9/24/22       #15: RE: Best Chainsaw for Ripping Logs ...
George Member

Update: I decided to spring for the MS881. It is a bit more powerful and heavier. I do not mind the weight. The chain is .404 pitch and I equipped it with a 36" bar. my MS661 has a 32" bar and by the time the Alaskan mill is on, can only cut around 24. However, the 661 struggled at full cut on oak. The MS881 also has a reduced rpm and the chain cutter spacing is similar to a skip chain. This combination of increased HP, cutters spread out, and lower rpm is supposed to take deeper cuts, verses finer sawdust cutting. One drawback is the kerf is bigger than the MS661. The means more work to cut. Overall, I have notice an improvement over the 661.
However, the bar has an issue. With the .063 gauge groove, the remaining side rails the chain rides on are thin. Wore big divots in bar after a couple hundred board feet. The oiling adjustment is awesome and I ran it in the middle of the range. Plenty of oil thrown on the end guard of the mill. I mention this as there is sufficient oil – that was not the cause. Also, the groove in the bar widened significantly causing the chain to wobble around and make big grooves in the wood. I flipped the bar over and it cuts better. Filed the divots out first…of course.
Overall, I like the increased HP. Verdict is out on if the it is significantly better than the ms661.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors
    • Forestry.com
      Forestry.com is a specialized platform with educational content and equipment for Loggers and Foresters
    • Rose Machinery
      Horizontal Band Re-rips, Standard & Custom Designed Machinery
    • Carter Products
      Band Saw Guides, Blades, Wheels, Tires, Line Lasers and 2D Projectors, Wide Belt Sanding Accessories, Vacuum Holding Systems and More
    • Baker Products
      Industrial Woodworking Machines, Wooden Pallet Manufacturing Machines, & Portable Sawmills

Become a Sponsor today!