Solid Wood Machining

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Martin T17F

3/10/22       
John P Member

I have a Martin T17 in need of an arbor nut (and possibly flange) and riving knife. I know its a long shot, but can’t hurt to ask around. Short of parts, if anyone knows the thread pitch and specs of the arbor nut so I can get one made I’d very much appreciate any info provided. Those are the main parts I’m looking for, but could also use the dust collection port/shroud (see photo). Thanks in advance for any leads!

View higher quality, full size image (4032 X 3024)

3/11/22       #2: Martin T17F ...
Joe Calhoon

The nut and flange are easy. Martin can still supply those.The nut has a shoulder to fit inside the flange. My shaft was messed up by a previous owner putting a homemade arbor extension on it. I had a local machinest make a new shaft. Had to order a new nut but the flange was Ok. Cannot remember if it was just under $100 or a little over. Took some time because it came from Germany. It’s left hand metric but don’t know the pitch. Most of these saws were brought in by Reibling Company and had 1 1/4” shafts.

I doubt you can find a dust hood. It’s cast aluminum. You can probably have a new one made out of sheet metal.

View higher quality, full size image (1280 X 960)

View higher quality, full size image (960 X 1280)

3/12/22       #3: Martin T17F ...
John P Member

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply. Your saw looks immaculate by the way!

I’m in touch with the folks at Martin and they told me the nut is unavailable, but I will follow up and ask again. By the looks of the flange in your photo I do have the flange. I thought it was perhaps a flange for the dado extension, but the way you describe the nut having a shoulder to fit inside the flange clears up my misguided thought that there wasn’t enough room on the arbor to securely thread on.

Is your riving knife the original part or is it a new knife that fits? I’m in need to that part as well. I’m also looking to replace the sliding table fence. Do you mind me asking what fence you have fitted to your saw? The dust hood is of less concern, but I’d really like that nut and riving knife to get operational! Thanks again.

3/13/22       #4: Martin T17F ...
Joe Calhoon

John,
I will get you a part number for the nut. The nut is the same as what my newer T72 saw has and I just used that part number. The riving knives are also off the T72. Martin should have those. I’ll take a picture of the holder on mine to see if it’s the same. I had a older T75 saw for a while and that riving knife holder was slightly different.
You are lucky to have the arbor extension. I was able to run the saw with my new shaft while waiting for the nut by stacking 1 1/4” shaper spacers on the extension arbor.

My T17 is 1977 and probably a few years newer than yours from looking at the cross fence and rip fence.
Yours has the cross fence with the wood piece under. That is not a bad fence once you get it dialed in. My old T75 came with the gauge to reset it after sliding it away from the blade.
My T17 has a newer style cross fence that needs to have a few parts made for it. In the meantime I bought a Felder short fence. It has a slot across the back side and I was able to mount it to the existing fence holders by making new sliding studs and drilling lower holes in the holders.
Most newer cross fences from other mfgs mount from the bottom and that would make adaptations more difficult.
The Felder Fence is not very accurate for length though because the stops do not line up square and fit loose so going back to repeat settings is always slightly off. The original fence is very accurate for a manual setup and anxious to get it back.

3/14/22       #5: Martin T17F ...
John P Member

Thanks Joe, I really appreciate you doing all that. It’s extremely helpful.

Good call on using spacers in the meantime. I’ll need a few more, but should be a much quicker ship time on those than parts from Germany.

You’re feedback on the felder fence shortcomings has also made me rethink my idea of fitting a newer fence. I’ll mill a new piece of wood to replace what’s on there now to dial it in and run the saw for a few months before making any changes. Manually setting the fence for angles doesn’t bother me, and all the knobs and levers to lock it are there.

I like the way you have your saw set up to receive oil with the reservoir and pump. The previous owner of my saw used grease on the zerk fittings. I assume they are designed to be oiled instead of using machine grease? My immediate goal is to get the saw tuned up and operational, but will make upgrades down the road.

I’ll try to attach a photo of my riving knife setup. Not the best angle or photo, but I’m away from the saw at the moment and will be able to get better photos in a few days. Thanks again I really appreciate your time and assistance.

3/14/22       #6: Martin T17F ...
Joe Calhoon

John,
Part # for nut - 184-071-00 T75-28 Nut main arbor.
If this doesn’t work I will get the newer saw number for you.
Your splitter holder is same as mine. I had to grind a little off the nubbin to get the splitter to fit. Might have just been wear on my saw.

A previous owner of my saw took the oil nipples out and put in zerks with bigger supply lines for grease. It was a mess with all the grease. Since I was missing the original nipples I just bought a new oil pump from Martin. A light oil is used here. Pricy solution but I went all out on this and no regrets..
Did you get this fence setting gauge with your saw?
This is a picture from my old T75. Very handy for resetting the fence when pulled away for ripping.

View higher quality, full size image (3370 X 2527)

3/16/22       #7: Martin T17F ...
John P Member

Joe,
Thanks for that part number. I’ll reach out to Martin to see if that works and get back to you. Hoping they have that and the riving knife available. With those two parts I’ll be in good shape to get the saw to work, then maybe work on the cosmetics down the line.

I did not get that fence setting gauge. Is that for the crosscut fence I assume? Sounds like it would be highly useful. When I picked up my saw there was supposed to be a small pallet of blades and parts to the saw, but it was thrown away a few days prior my arrival. I wish they hadn’t told even me! Hard to believe that someone would just throw that out.

Thanks again and I’ll let you know what I hear from Martin

3/25/22       #8: Martin T17F ...
John P Member

Joe,

Got parts ordered from Martin today. The main arbor nut was in stock and right around 100 bucks. Thanks a bunch for getting that part number to me, I owe you one. Anxious to get the parts in, but looks like I’m in for a month or so wait. Thanks again and I’ll let you know how things pan out once parts come in.

3/29/22       #9: Martin T17F ...
Joe Calhoon Member

Glad that was still available John. Do you have a manual? It’s not much help but if you PM me I can send a copy. I also have a parts breakdown for the old T75 that has some of the same parts.

7/31/23       #10: Martin T17F ...
Brad Member

Gents. I just picked up a 2000 T72 that is going to need a little cleaning and work. There are a couple parts I need to identify were you guys able to find a parts diagram with part numbers? I have all the original manuals and not seeing anything there.

8/1/23       #12: Martin T17F ...
John P Member

Hi Brad,

I have a 2001 T72A and I believe Joe has a similar vintage T72A with more advanced features than my saw. I think I have a parts list somewhere on my computer but I’m driving all day. What parts are you looking for? I’ll be back in the shop tomorrow and will help if I can. Joe is very knowledgeable and has helped me out quite a bit

8/1/23       #13: Martin T17F ...
Brad Member

Thanks John
I just picked it up and assume I’ll find more things as I start getting it going. It has an extension for the fence that folds down and I’m not real sure what it’s called. There was some damage from moving and it’s only the sheet metal part that I’ll bet can’t be found as it’s not a typical wearing part.

8/2/23       #14: Martin T17F ...
John Pendery Member

Brad,

Is this the area you are referring to? Is that part missing on your saw or did you just have a question on how to attach it?

Let me know when you get up and running and post a picture or two if you are able.

8/2/23       #15: Martin T17F ...
Brad Member

John
Yes. It’s the metal panel on the right and below the extension. See attached

8/2/23       #17: Martin T17F ...
John Pendery Member

I see. I would be surprised if Martin has that part. Good news is that would be very easy to make and paint to match. My first thought would be to remove it and try to work it back to its original shape as that’s pretty malleable. If not maybe shoot that photo along with your saws serial number to Al Briggs at Martin USA. He should be able to find out if it’s available from Germany. If that’s all that’s wrong with your saw I’d say you are in exceptionally good shape!

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors

Become a Sponsor today!