Solid Wood Machining

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Bandsaw SCM Formula s640p Blade guides question

2/29/24       
Mathias  Member

Hello,
I hope someone can help me out here, unfortunately SCM is no help.

I purchased last November the Bandsaw from SCM, a Formula S640p.

I mounted a power feeder to the saw and I am cutting veneer until I realized that the guides getting stuck. The bandsaw was even cutting into the upper guide behind the blade and left a deep groove into the metal. And due to the friction the whole guide holder gets very hot and also sparks are coming off the guides ( mostly from the guide behind the blade)

I disassembled the guides and come to realize that they are hard to turn. Two of the guides even fell apart when I took them off the saw.
I talked to scm and they send me a new guide assembly. But that hasent happened yet.

After I cleaned everything and the guides are running freely I cut some more wood and the same happened after 5 cuts again. Guides getting stuck and creating lot of heat and the upper guide behind the sawblade is running but get stuck time to time and create sparks.
A dust collector is hooked up.

Does anybody has the same experience?

Does anybody has a Tipp how to keep the guides from getting stuck?

Thank you,

Mathias

View higher quality, full size image (2268 X 4032)

View higher quality, full size image (2268 X 4032)

3/1/24       #2: Bandsaw SCM Formula s640p Blade gui ...
RichC

I have that all the time. Most people switch to a ceramic guide system. I'm switching to grease as a lube next time, light oil does not last. As a side note, be very careful with you current wheel guides. I dropped one and the shaft basically snapped off the wheel. They are heat treated to an extreme hardness and are as brittle as glass. I super carefully glued it back on with Devcon epoxy and it has been running for a couple months since then. Kinda like a miracle repair.

3/1/24       #3: Bandsaw SCM Formula s640p Blade gui ...
Mathias  Member

Hey Rich,
Thank you for the response.
I tried oiling it too. Had the same experience as you. Lasted only a short time.

Thanks for that advise, luckily I have not dropped it.

I am just surprised that the guides are such a bad design. I cant clean them or take them apart, only if they fall apart by them self and that's not a good sign either.

I am afraid if I grease the guides that the saw dust gets in there and then they wouldn't work at all.

Do you know a ceramic guide what would fit onto this saw?
As far as I know SCM don't have ceramic guides for there saws or am I misinformed?

Thank you,

Mathias

3/2/24       #4: Bandsaw SCM Formula s640p Blade gui ...
RichC

You might see if these will work. https://www.shop.lagunatools.com/Laguna-Guide-Set-to-Retro-Fit-Euro-Guides

3/13/24       #5: Bandsaw SCM Formula s640p Blade gui ...
Ian1012 Member

Hi M. My experience is with a UK spec Aggazani NRA 600 (24in) which runs similar if not identical Euro pattern guides.
I'm wondering if there might not be a problem in your set up? The blade on the Agazzani for example contacts the rear thrust guide only if a lot of feed pressure is used - so much so that the guides are clearly not the primary factor controlling blade tracking. They function as more of a safety net which comes into play in more extreme circumstances.
I bought the saw lightly used almost 10 years ago. It had a really blunt blade on and destroyed guides much like yours.
I set it up carefully and fitted new guides then. There's still not a mark on them - despite it in recent months having just completed a project which entailed lots of resawing of up to 300m wide + beech boards.
Once a guide gets a nick in the surface or the bearing gets tight it's not going to rotate and will likely to go downhill rapidly. So there's a point beyond which problems will quickly follow.
Some thoughts:
The guide bearings need cleaning and light lubrication and should rotate freely. (dust can cause the bearing to bind).
The guides as you probably know should not be touching the blade or heating will result. I've found that all is fine with an eye balled perhaps 0.3mm+ clearance.
Guide post alignment can be an issue in that raising and lowering it can take the guides out of alignment relative to the blade.
The guide post on my saw was misaligned and required making an alignment jig and a lot of difficult to access fiddly work to get it moving parallel to the blade in both axes - the adjustment arrangement is pretty primitive.
Might the power feeder be forcing faster than the blade wants to cut so that it's pushed back hard against the guide? This would especially easily be the case if the blade is unsuited to the work. e.g. has too fine a tooth?
I've been resawing with a 1in wide version of the Woodmaster CT which has a relatively thick and stiff band and requires heavy tensioning - this probably helps.
The CT has a hooked tooth which may help too by pulling the wood into the cut and minimising the required feed pressure.
Feed pressure ramps quickly once a blade starts to lose sharpness - carbide holds up better. I've not used a power feeder, but might it be necessary to reduce the feed rate as the blade goes off?
Is the saw well set up in terms of wheel alignment?
Agazzani recommend tracking so that the teeth of the blade hang a tiny bit over the infeed side edge of the top wheel. (the wheels at that are set coplanar with just the tiniest touch on the top tilt adjustment moving the blade forward a few mm on the top wheel)
I'm not sure, but this presumably means that to touch the guide the blade has to climb back against the camber (if the wheel has any) and against tracking forces.
Good dust collection that keeps the cut clear may help to keep things cool too - it's surprising how much dust is produced when resawing.
I fitted a zero clearance ply throat plate, initially undrilled. This really messed up the dust clearance. Six or eight 8 or 10mm holes in the plate close in to each side of the blade made a remarkable difference....

3/19/24       #6: Bandsaw SCM Formula s640p Blade gui ...
Mathias  Member

Thank you Rich, I took a look at the guides, They look like they would fit. That might be the next step to go. If i am not getting everything set up correctly.

Ian, Thank you for your detailed response.
In the beginning I tried my best to set up the machine as good as I knew how.
But you are right with the set up. It looked like I was to close with the rear guide to the saw blade. I am running the power feeder on the slowest speed. The blade I am currently using is the 1" (25mm) Lennox Woodmaster CT 1.3 TPI.
I had the rear guide about 1.5 mm behind the blade. But other people suggested to set the guide 3 mm behind the blade. I run it with this set up and the blade still touches the guide while cutting.
The Blade tension is set to the Blade tension guide on the machine for the 25 mm blade.
I would need to take a look again at the guide post. What I realized was that every time I loosen and tighten the blade it is sitting in a different position relative to the rear guide. Each night when I leave the shop I release the blade from the tension.
Also when I change the Hight of the guide post I need to adjust the guides again because the side guides are touching then on one site the blade.

The side guides are set about the same distance you mentioned. +-.3mm.

The saw has a good amount of vibration while running. I am not able to figure out completely where it is coming from. It had a lot of vibration in the beginning but I found out that the V belt was not tight enough. But still the saw vibrates.
The Blade is hanging with its teeth over the upper wheel, the side guides are about 3 mm behind the gullet of the teeth, to allow for the movement back against the rear guide.

I have hooked up a central dust collector with enough power. No sawdust inside the machine, but I get enough sawdust on the machine table what did not make it trough the throat plate.

I just received from SCM new guides under warranty and have to set up the whole machine again and take into account what you mentioned.
- Guide post alignment to blade
- Guide alignment to blade
- Leave more space between Blade and rear guide
I hope that covers it and it will make a different.

Thank you!

3/19/24       #7: Bandsaw SCM Formula s640p Blade gui ...
Ian1012 Member

I'm presuming that your example is sharp and tracking correctly (there's lots on the web on how to set tracking) relative to the fence, but a trial manual resaw cut in thick (150mm +) hardwood would tell a lot.
It should feed with moderate pressure and stay off the back guide most of the time. (mine manages this with only the very roughly 0.3mm+ gap I mentioned)
My experience is that when these blades start to dull a bit they need more feed pressure to get started, but that once cutting the self feeding effect of the hook tooth takes over to reduce this. I haven't got there yet, but imagine that the feed pressure eventually escalates enough with more dulling to become too much to overcome.
Your mention of sparks from the back guide makes me think that over feeding (or something else that is resulting in the blade being forced back against the guides) must be high on the list of possible causes of your trouble.
You mention running the power feeder at its lowest speed setting. Just a possibility again (I've not used a power feeder) but as you may know there are purpose made bandsaw power feeders.
Generic power feeders are primarily for shaper use.
Might it be possible that the lowest speed on the feeder you have is too fast for the bandsaw?
It might take some digging, but I'd try to establish the actual (e.g. ft/min or m/min) feed rate delivered by a purpose made bandsaw specific feeder suited to your saw. It'd be even better if SCM do one, and could advise a recommended speed range. (they may not since it's dependent on a lot of variables)
A quick look though suggests that e.g. the Comatic bandsaw feeder goes down to 5 ft/min and is very low powered while the heavier shaper oriented ones often don't go lower than 10 -12 ft/min. (potentially more than double)
The optimum feed speed as already is very saw and blade specific - band resaws for example will resaw at enormous speeds, but even quite large bandsaws are slower. The point is that any over feeding beyond what the blade is capable of will cause problems.
Might slightly oversized replacement feeder wheels (if this can happen) perhaps be a possible factor too?
I'd want to measure the actual across the table feed speed delivered by the feeder you are using and compare it to a reliably recommended feed speed for your saw to be certain all was in order.
On blade tension. Is it possible that you don't have enough?
The tension indicator on the Agazzani works fine IF the indicator linkage is properly adjusted.
Mine was way off - the previous owner may have messed with it. There may be a better routine e.g. using a tension gauge), but I was able to reset my linkage by figuring out where the zero on the tension scale would fall and by adjusting the tensioning mechanism so that it had just taken up all of the slack and was only just starting to tension the spring. I set the linkage to read zero at that point. It seems fine.
It probably didn't affect the tension indicator (and your saw is new?), but the tension adjustment on my saw was very stiff due to coarsely machined sliding surfaces in the cast iron tensioner - stoning them off with a fine diamond and then waterstone, cleaning the adjuster threads and then assembly with copper grease transformed to ease of use. (it's scary how badly wood dust can cause threads to bind too - I enclosed the adjuster in a polythene bag to keep the dust out)
On guide post set up. The Agazzani has a pressure pad on a screwed adjuster which engages in a keyway in the back of the post to prevent rotation.
Might your saw have something similar? It turned out on the Agazzani that correct adjustment of the amount of pressure with which this pad presses against the post was critical to minimising the misalignment caused by tightening the post locking knob. (the post just runs in oversized holes in sheet metal so it's very poorly engineered)
I got mine to the point where I can adjust the post height by a few inches without problems - but wouldn't want to bet on it maintaining perfect alignment over the full range.
Your side guides seem (?) to have knurled locking nuts fitted but mine did not. It's a good idea to make sure they are tight so that blade friction (they are angled so that the blade contacts near the perimeter) can't cause them to self tighten on to the blade.
I ended up buying M22x1.5mm x 8mm thick approx fine thread metric low profile nuts to permit locking. (they are widely used on Euro truck braking systems, but not readily available from fastener suppliers)
3mm sounds like an awful lot of clearance over the back guides - 0.3 - 0.4mm is more typical. You need to position the side guides so that they are enough behind the tooth gullets to accomodate this range of movement plus a bit more. (the risk of causing damage this way is good reason not to run large clearances over the rear guides)
Some saws permit adjustment of the position of the back guides relative to the line of the blade. It's in those cases important that the blade makes contact out near the perimeter of the wheels - near the centre and they won't turn and will burn. Don't forget the lower guides too...
If the blade has been forced back hard enough to chew up guides you depending on its condition might also want to stone it smooth again and round the corners or even replace it.
There's potentially multiple causes for vibration - out of balance wheels, wrongly machined wheels (spin with the blade off and check for wobble and runout with a pointer or better still a dial gauge), tyre issues, motor/belt/pulley issues.
Running with the blade off would show whether it's coming from the bottom or the top.
Running the motor with the belts off would check the motor.
A badly out of balance wheel might (if the seal friction is low) show a tendency to have a particular point always go low. If not free enough it might require taking the wheel off and mounting it on a correctly sized shaft to make this trial.
Wheel alignment/coplanarity needs to be checked with the blade tensioned as normal - which requires getting the tensioning set up right first.
Good luck with it...

3/19/24       #8: Bandsaw SCM Formula s640p Blade gui ...
Ian1012 Member

The editing system (while fixing typos) keeps on clipping off the start paragraph(s) of my posts!!!!
I in summary suggested that it would probably be best to not run the new guides until you find the cause of your problem - they would probably be wrecked.
Also that the Euro pattern guides while not as fashionable as fancy ceramic types (wonder why that is?) work fine for many. They are less tolerant of wrong set ups.
You are running the same Woodmaster CT as I do for resawing - it does this this very well.
contd above...
3/19/24       #9: Bandsaw SCM Formula s640p Blade gui ...
Ian1012 Member

HI M. Rushing the second message above meant that it lost its intended tone.
The hope is just that the various points made may help to trigger some thoughts - it's difficult at this range to reach any definite conclusions...

3/19/24       #10: Bandsaw SCM Formula s640p Blade gui ...
Ian1012 Member

Too many posts - but measuring the rate at which you can manually feed representative material on the saw before the guides start to protest would be another way of figuring out a real world number for the low end of the feed rate range you would need on a power feeder.
If the Woodmaster CT is pretty fresh/sharp then it'd probably be best to reduce that figure by a good chunk (maybe 35%?) in deciding the minimum feed rate you need so that the feeder can be further slowed as it dulls.
Don't forget as before that if the blade is very dull (e.g. the teeth were damaged as a consequence of the blade being pushed back and hitting the side guides, or by it's hitting something metal in the work - you don't often get second chances in these matters) then that alone has the potential to increase the required feed force to a level that could damage the back guides...

4/23/24       #11: Bandsaw SCM Formula s640p Blade gui ...
Dennis Yamamoto

I have an older SCM/Minimax S600P manufactured by Centauro with the same Lenox Woodmaster CT 1.3 TPI blade. For resawing really dense and wide (12-16") wood, there are several things that I have to do:
1) have a sharp blade
2) tension the blade to 20-25,000 PSI. Many built in tension gauges are notoriously inaccurate. You may want to get, make or borrow a bandsaw tension gauge.
3) my Comatic 3 phase bandsaw feeder at its lowest speed is too fast. I'm using a VFD to slow it down to less than 2 feet/minute

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors

Become a Sponsor today!